Van Marwijk names preliminary squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup

Van Marwijk names preliminary squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup

Author
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Bert van Marwijk today named 32 players as part of his preliminary squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ which will commence in Russia next month.

All 26 players who took part in van Marwijk’s first Caltex Socceroos camp in March this year – which included friendlies against Norway in Oslo and Colombia in London – have been included in the preliminary list of players, while six new players are also in contention for selection.

Van Marwijk and his coaching staff will reduce the preliminary squad to 26 players next week before the team assembles in Turkey for the start of their pre-tournament training camp from Saturday, 19 May.

After an intensive period of training, the Caltex Socceroos will play the Czech Republic in St. Polten, Austria on Friday, 1 June (local time) in what will be one of the final opportunities for the players to press their claim to be included in the final squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™.

The final list of 23-players is scheduled to be announced in Turkey on Sunday, 3 June, and the team will continue their build-up for the tournament with a further friendly against Hungary in Budapest on Saturday, 9 June (local time).

Van Marwijk said the players that featured in his first camp deserved to retain their places, howeverhowever admitted additional players have piqued his interest since Australia drew 0-0 with Colombia at Craven Cottage in London.

“I am not a person who changes all the time and we thought for a long time about the first squad that we selected,” said van Marwijk. “I had a good experience with the 26 players in the ten days that I worked with them, so I had no reason not to nominate them again. But we have since seen other players so there will be a few new names in the squad.”

Since the conclusion of the Caltex Socceroos’ March camp, van Marwijk, his coaching staff and scouts have travelled to many locations across Europe, Asia and Australia to monitor the performance of potential players.

This includes the six players that have been added to his last squad – Daniel Arzani, Alex Gersbach, Apostolos Giannou, Fran Karacic, Mitchell Langerak, and Jamie Maclaren – who have been monitored closely whilst playing for their respective clubs in domestic leagues.

“We have travelled extensively and watched many, many matches because we want to get as much information on as many players as possible,” van Marwijk explained.

“I am looking forward to the time in Turkey because there I will be able to work with the players every day, and most of the time it will be two times a day. In those few weeks it must be very clear for the players what we want (at the 2018 FIFA World Cup™),” concluded van Marwijk.

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/socceroos-2018-fifa-world-cup-squad

Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

So lets say it comes down to Arzani and Petratos , who do you take?
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I would have like to have seen DENG in. He is so much better than Risdon.
Mcgee or Antonis instead of Briillante.
Cahill needs to be cut at next round (he is done).

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

StiflersMom - 7 May 2018 10:25 AM

Petratos easily - just simply got more runs on the board (170+ club games compared to 24 for Arzani). Combine that with that I think Petratos was much more influential in a average team this season, whereas I think Arzani had more talent around him to fall back on.

Arzani is going to be a massive talent, I don't doubt that - but when comparing apples with apples he just doesn't stack up just yet.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Iknowbest - 7 May 2018 10:26 AM
I would have like to have seen DENG in. He is so much better than Risdon.
Mcgee or Antonis instead of Briillante.
Cahill needs to be cut at next round (he is done).

Can't disagree with any of that.
The Camel
The Camel
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

I would have liked to have seen Hrustic or Mabil instead of Ruka (With Borello being injured he would have been my first preference), and McGree and Antonis or Amini over Brilliante and Troisi
The Camel
The Camel
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Petratos is a more complete player at this point in time
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Fran Karačić, young fullback will be interesting to see if he makes the squad.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

8 players from the squad to go.

Timmy, Ruka, Langerak, Brillianta, Wright ... thats 5 with 3 more to add.... 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Other than Troisi pretty happy with that. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Midfielder - 7 May 2018 10:51 AM
8 players from the squad to go.

Timmy, Ruka, Langerak, Brillianta, Wright ... thats 5 with 3 more to add.... 

We all know Timmy's going to the World Cup.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Maybe McGree for Troisi, Chapman for Jurman and maybe Mabil for Ruka but apart from that its a good squad.

Karacic is a good choice, not sure why Risdon is selected again same with Brillante as a defender.

Great to see Arzani get rewarded, interesting Bert said he wasnt ready for the March friendlies but they kept an eye on him all along.

19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Brad Smith the only one that misses out, that comes to mind...

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Don't know how Brillante or Troisi make that squad. Both have been average at best this year. O'Neil has outplayed Brillante who's second half of the season was really quite poor. 
You'd think Langerak, Brillante, Troisi, Karacic, Gianou would all get cut. No more than 2 of Arzani, Maclaren, Nabbout and Petrat will make the squad. And a defender will get cut too. 
Timmy will definitely be in the final squad. 
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Troisi must give a mean gobby, hes been awful at MV with some pretty talent players around him. Amini seems to be doing well in Denmark yet cant get a lookin for a 35 man squad?
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend

walnuts - 7 May 2018 10:30 AM

Petratos easily - just simply got more runs on the board (170+ club games compared to 24 for Arzani). Combine that with that I think Petratos was much more influential in a average team this season, whereas I think Arzani had more talent around him to fall back on.

Arzani is going to be a massive talent, I don't doubt that - but when comparing apples with apples he just doesn't stack up just yet.

Well put
Everyone talks about right back, but we have just as big a problem with forwards IMO.
Which order would you pick these guys?
Forwards: Daniel Arzani, Tim Cahill, Apostolos Giannou, Tomi Juric, Mathew Leckie, Jamie Maclaren, Andrew Nabbout, Dimitri Petratos, Nikita Rukavytsya

For Me, atm ( open to change based on form)
1. Mathew Leckie
2. Dimitri Petratos
3. Andrew Nabbout 
4. (can't believe I'm saying this ) Jamie Maclaren
5. Daniel Arzani
6. Tomi Juric
7. Tim Cahill
8. Apostolos Giannou
9. Nikita Rukavytsya
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Dan_The_Red - 7 May 2018 11:19 AM
Troisi must give a mean gobby, hes been awful at MV with some pretty talent players around him. Amini seems to be doing well in Denmark yet cant get a lookin for a 35 man squad?

I have a feeling the FFA wanted to see more a-league players in the squad, do we really think Brillante and Troisi are any better than say somebody like Amini or Hrustic who are playing regularly in there european leagues? 

Probably a conspiracy but its interesting... 
Edited
6 Years Ago by Barca4Life
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Barca4Life - 7 May 2018 11:33 AM
Dan_The_Red - 7 May 2018 11:19 AM

I have a feeling the FFA wanted to see more a-league players in the squad, do we really think Brillante and Troisi are any better than say somebody like Amini or Hrustic who are playing regularly in there european leagues.

Probably a conspiracy but its interesting... 

They aren't better than Mcgree
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

StiflersMom - 7 May 2018 11:24 AM
walnuts - 7 May 2018 10:30 AM

Well put
Everyone talks about right back, but we have just as big a problem with forwards IMO.
Which order would you pick these guys?
Forwards: Daniel Arzani, Tim Cahill, Apostolos Giannou, Tomi Juric, Mathew Leckie, Jamie Maclaren, Andrew Nabbout, Dimitri Petratos, Nikita Rukavytsya

For Me, atm ( open to change based on form)
1. Mathew Leckie
2. Dimitri Petratos
3. Andrew Nabbout 
4. (can't believe I'm saying this ) Jamie Maclaren
5. Daniel Arzani
6. Tomi Juric
7. Tim Cahill
8. Apostolos Giannou
9. Nikita Rukavytsya

4 of your top 6 are wingers. 

Realistically:

Leckie
Juric
Cahill
Kruse Petrat/Nabbout
Arzani
Maclaren/Ruka
Giannou

Petrat/Nabbout/Kruse - Juric/Cahill - Leckie will be our front 3. Presuming we play with 3 not 2 up front. 

Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Not bad but wouldnt have picked troisi, brilliante, ruka, cahill, and still unsure of jmac for the roos.
Thought that dougall or antonis would have been better picks than brilliante in dm. McGree is another missing out after an incredible goal. Deng also has been really solid although he doesnt havd as much going forward as antonis
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

City Sam - 7 May 2018 11:34 AM
Barca4Life - 7 May 2018 11:33 AM

They aren't better than Mcgree

Hrustic played 90 minutes against PSV last night...but hes only 21 and like McGree they both got age in there side.

Maybe Amini for Brillante but i suspect Brillante is there due to his versatility as a right back too.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2018 10:57 AM
Midfielder - 7 May 2018 10:51 AM

We all know Timmy's going to the World Cup.

Care to make a schooner wager on that?

I'm thinking he's done his dash.  

Member since 2008.

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend

kaufusi - 7 May 2018 11:34 AM
StiflersMom - 7 May 2018 11:24 AM

4 of your top 6 are wingers. 

Realistically:

Leckie
Juric
Cahill
Kruse Petrat/Nabbout
Arzani
Maclaren/Ruka
Giannou

Petrat/Nabbout/Kruse - Juric/Cahill - Leckie will be our front 3. Presuming we play with 3 not 2 up front. 

True,  trouble is identifying any decent strikers in our line up  
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

My 23 squad - 

GK (3)
Ryan, Jones, Vukovic
Defence (8)
Risdon, Karacic, Sainsbury, Jedinak, Wright, Jurman, Behich, Gersbach
Midfield (6)
Irvine, Luongo, Milligan, Mooy, Rogic, Petratos
Forwards (6)
Arzani, Cahill, Juric, Leckie, Maclaren, Kruse.

Gk's pick themselves for mine, Langerak to little to late.
Our RB options arent great, Risdon hasnt convinced me and havent seen Karacic before but ohwell, it is what it is.
Sainsbury could be world class. Wright over Degenek is a tight call. Gersbach over Meredith is a tight call.
Id take Jedinak as a defender, hes to loose with the ball in midfield and i think if were to get out of the group we need a more dynamic midfield 3 who are quicker across the ground and better passing, standing in the middle of the park winning headers isnt enough IMHO. My ideal mid lineup is Luongo and Irvine at the base with Mooy at the point. Rogic as impact or even played on the right wing to float central onto his left, all his highlights from Celtic are in that right to central movement.
Can fit both Arzani and Petratos in as i think Dimi works better centrally than as a winger. We know what to expect from Leckie, Juric and Kruse whereas Arzani offers something totally different. Maclaren's move has been successful thus far so he will stephen bradbury into the squad.
Anyone not picking Cahill has rocks in their head. Is he past his best? Yes, but he'll be there.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Interesting to note that BVM sees Milligan as a defender rather than a midfielder so i doubt he'll compete with a midfielder.

Of the 9 to get dropped i think it'd be
Langerak
Gersbach
Degenek
Risdon
Brillante
Troisi
Ruka
Giannou
Nabbout

At Right back we could play Karacic, Wright and even Milligan and since we have selected 6 strikers half of them will definitely be cut in which i expect Cahill to stay for experience. I expect the final spot to be Jmac vs Nabbout with the former getting the spot to the world cup.
Edited
6 Years Ago by City Sam
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

GK-Ryan, Jones, Vukovic
CB-Sainsbury(DM), Susnajr, Jurman
RB-Karacic, Degenek(CB)
LB-Behich, Gersbach
DM-Jedinak(CB), Milligan, Luongo(CM)
CM-Irvine, Mooy(AM)
AM-Rogic, Petratos(W)
W-Leckie, Arzani, Kruse(S)
S-Juric, Maclaren, Cahill
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 7 May 2018 11:38 AM
sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2018 10:57 AM

Care to make a schooner wager on that?

I'm thinking he's done his dash.  

I think he's done his dash as well, but the lack of any other goalscoring players almost guarantees his inclusion. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

bah we have so many young talents with no international experience. 

What we need though is more players playing in the big leagues. (ala Golden Gen)

When this happens we can include these younger guys like McGree in WC squads

Either that or just tell these young guys to man tfu & bring it in front of 80,000

ha, at the same time drop Cahill off a cliff

Edited
6 Years Ago by highkick05
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2018 12:13 PM
Munrubenmuz - 7 May 2018 11:38 AM

I think he's done his dash as well, but the lack of any other goalscoring players almost guarantees his inclusion. 

Bert has to figure out how he can get Rogic closer to the pointy end and and not stuck scrapping and burning energy in the middle.
footbawler
footbawler
Hacker
Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)

SpongeBobFC - 7 May 2018 12:35 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2018 12:13 PM

Bert has to figure out how he can get Rogic closer to the pointy end and and not stuck scrapping and burning energy in the middle.

2 up front, JMac and Rogic,
although a world cup probably isn't the time to experiment

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search