Confirmed: Van Marwijk's six outs in Caltex Socceroos 26-man squad

Confirmed: Van Marwijk's six outs in Caltex Socceroos 26-man squad

Author
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Enzo Bearzot - 17 May 2018 10:00 PM
City Sam - 17 May 2018 9:46 PM

It didn't get us out of the group in 2010.

The first 30 minutes of the tournament will decide our fate.   France will come out to champing at the bit to dominate us into submission and will  be cracking the whip from the get go,

If we then respond as deer in the headlights starstruck the tournament is dead  for us.

And it could have gone the other way in South Africa.

The tournament isn't over there and then. We just rely on luck and doing something brilliant in the remaining two matches if that happens. SO I wouldn't say it's all over red rover. Think of Ukraine's dismantling by Spain in their first match.

But yeah,nobody is arguing that the match is some casual thing which they can afford to lose (just pointing out that it's one of three matches). We still need to give ourselves every hope in that match.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

City Sam - 17 May 2018 9:46 PM

It didn't get us out of the group in 2010.

The first 30 minutes of the tournament will decide our fate.   France will come out to champing at the bit to dominate us into submission and will  be cracking the whip from the get go,

If we then respond as deer in the headlights starstruck the tournament is dead  for us.

Because our GD was ruined after the Germany match which is the point, our best hope i feel is damage control against France, get the win against Peru and hopefully steal a result against Denmark and pray for a better GD.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

City Sam - 17 May 2018 10:59 PM

Because our GD was ruined after the Germany match which is the point, our best hope i feel is damage control against France, get the win against Peru and hopefully steal a result against Denmark and pray for a better GD.

Agree. Let's call that the most realistic escape route, haha
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

That was the exact same plan in 2010.

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 18 May 2018 12:18 AM

That was the exact same plan in 2010.

Yeah, all this talk about damage limitation is nonsense. That was exactly Pim's mindset before the Germany game and a big reason we got pumped. Surely we have to play with confidence and have a go. Hoping for a 1 or 2-0  loss sounds really dumb, and even, dare I say, un-Australian. Such a defeatist, negative attitude.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Derider - 18 May 2018 1:17 AM
Enzo Bearzot - 18 May 2018 12:18 AM

Yeah, all this talk about damage limitation is nonsense. That was exactly Pim's mindset before the Germany game and a big reason we got pumped. Surely we have to play with confidence and have a go. Hoping for a 1 or 2-0  loss sounds really dumb, and even, dare I say, un-Australian. Such a defeatist, negative attitude.

I hate using the term un-Australian, but one of the few times I have is Pim's approach for the Germany game. Bloke didn't believe in his own people.

Timmy didn't do much to help either there, to be fair.
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

paladisious - 18 May 2018 2:07 AM
Derider - 18 May 2018 1:17 AM

I hate using the term un-Australian, but one of the few times I have is Pim's approach for the Germany game. Bloke didn't believe in his own people.

Timmy didn't do much to help either there, to be fair.

We've got to think & act like the Mannschaft.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Brillante, Nabbout and Troisi gone for me.

Although it would be a coin toss between Nabbout and Ruka.

Troisi and Brillante have to be the first two cut.

Degenek really must have impressed BvM
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

new 442 podcast is cringeworthy at best..apparently the world cup squad should have more aleague players? LOL
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
redcup - 18 May 2018 9:43 AM
paladisious - 18 May 2018 2:07 AM

We've got to think & act like the Mannschaft.

Cool Runnings is a great movie.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 18 May 2018 11:02 AM
Brillante, Nabbout and Troisi gone for me.

Although it would be a coin toss between Nabbout and Ruka.

Troisi and Brillante have to be the first two cut.

Degenek really must have impressed BvM

Wright's injury probably saved Degenek 
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

Juric
Leckie - Rogic - Kruse
Jedinak - Mooy
Behich - Sainsbury - Milligan - Karacic
Ryan

Subs: Jones, Vukovic, Jurman, Meredith, Degenek, Risdon, Irvine, Luongo, Arzani Cahill, Ruka, Troisi

Miss: Petratos, Nabbout, Brillante
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Petratos will start imo.

Juric
Petratos - Mooy - Leckie
Luongo - Jedinak
Behich - Milligan - Sainsbury - Karacic
Ryan
Edited
6 Years Ago by chondro
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

u4486662 - 18 May 2018 10:31 PM
Juric
Leckie - Rogic - Kruse
Jedinak - Mooy
Behich - Sainsbury - Milligan - Karacic
Ryan

Subs: Jones, Vukovic, Jurman, Meredith, Degenek, Risdon, Irvine, Luongo, Arzani Cahill, Ruka, Troisi

Miss: Petratos, Nabbout, Brillante

Pogba and Kante will simply run over those two. Need far more mobility in those positions for the france game.

Viennese Vuck

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

melbourne_terrace - 19 May 2018 12:16 AM
u4486662 - 18 May 2018 10:31 PM

Pogba and Kante will simply run over those two. Need far more mobility in those positions for the france game.

I'd say Irvine and Luongo. With Mooy at CAM and a bit less defensive duty.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Reckon Jedi will be a CB. We need quality defenders
A bit like Hudders and Brighton are looking would be a massive in any WC game. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

highkick05 - 19 May 2018 3:16 AM
Reckon Jedi will be a CB. We need quality defenders
A bit like Hudders and Brighton are looking would be a massive in any WC game. 

sains and jedi seem a formidable pair so long as our line isn't too high
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Playing around on career mode as national team manager and nominated anyone who caught my eye. Came up with our 'reserves' side. Random and a few of the current squad but it looks so refreshing.

Izzo
Atkinson Chapman Burgess Elder
               Jeggo     Dougall 
Arzani          Petratos      Ikonomidis 
                      Blackwood 

Bench : Glover, Elsey, Williams, Folami, Strain, Antonis, McGree 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Okay, I would have taken Antonis instead of Troisi to the WC this year, yet in your squad he only makes the bench.  Opinions are interesting :)
Edited
6 Years Ago by Footballking55
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Based on the Roar article posted a couple of pages back, BVM doesn’t change his lineup much, or if at all, in a tournament scenario.

In addition to that Luongo seems certain to start in the box to box no.8 role, given his terrific performance against Colombia. BVM praise for him after that game was more than he has given to any other Australian player.

And on top of that, Jedinak seems a certainty for the DM no.6 role given he is in good form, BVM is likely to prioritise defence and he is the long-term captain and on-field leader.

Add those three things together and it can actually reach a conclusion where we might not see much of Mooy on the field at all. It could be quite possible that he only gets minutes as a sub at the end of games. He could potentially play no.10, but it seems more likely that Rogic and then Irvine will fill these spots.

I’m not saying it is likely, but it is certainly possible.
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

Aljay - 19 May 2018 9:35 AM
Based on the Roar article posted a couple of pages back, BVM doesn’t change his lineup much, or if at all, in a tournament scenario.In addition to that Luongo seems certain to start in the box to box no.8 role, given his terrific performance against Colombia. BVM praise for him after that game was more than he has given to any other Australian player.And on top of that, Jedinak seems a certainty for the DM no.6 role given he is in good form, BVM is likely to prioritise defence and he is the long-term captain and on-field leader. Add those three things together and it can actually reach a conclusion where we might not see much of Mooy on the field at all. It could be quite possible that he only gets minutes as a sub at the end of games. He could potentially play no.10, but it seems more likely that Rogic and then Irvine will fill these spots.I’m not saying it is likely, but it is certainly possible.

I think if Luongo and Jedinak are in the middle of the park, Mooy will start in a more advance role with Rogic coming on as a sub. Or, alternatively, if Rogic starts, its unlikely he'll start the next game given his general poor conditioning.

There's no doubt Jedinak will play every minute of every game if fit. He's too important and talismanic and is a big game player.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Reserve side imo would be. (If healthy and playing regularly)

Birighitti
Deng-Williams-Susnajr-Elder
Dougall-McGree
Mabil-Ikonomidis-Borello
Maclaren

Thomas
Atkinson-Wilkinson-Spiranovic-Gersbach
Antonis-O'Neill
Kitto-Hrustic-Theoharous
Folami

Izzo
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

There's a Michael Lynch article on the SMH which appeared on 19 May, 2018.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/world-cup-in-touching-distance-as-socceroos-gather-in-turkey-20180519-p4zg93.html

He writes well of the technical ability of Daniel Arzani and its use to Australia. He also suggests that Mile Jedinak is definitely going to be a starter for Australia. I think Jedinak should definitely be in the 23 man squad. I'd object if he weren't. But I reckon Lynch is wrong about the notion of Jedinak definitely being a starter.

Lynch is also wrong about Nikita Rukyavysta. We need the bloke. He can score and has express pace. When we're playing counter-attacking football, we'll definitely need that.

Lynch doesn't really look at Andrew Nabbout as one of the doubtfuls. I think Nabbout is a good footballer. But in the scheme of things, I don't get how he can not be a doubtful. He doesn't show the technical ability and 1 vs 1 of Arzani, the fairly rounded attacking game of Dimitri Petratos or the athleticism of Rukyavytsa.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

I think the cuts are probably down to:
Risdon vs Brillante vs Karacic
2 from: Ruka, Nabbout, Petratos, Troisi, Arzani

My guess is Brillante, Petratos, Troisi get cut. And then our team would line-up like this

Ryan
Karacic Sainsbury Jurman Behich
Jedinak Luongo
Leckie-Mooy-???
Juric

Not sure who would get the other flank. Kruse probably. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

RedKat - 20 May 2018 11:00 PM
I think the cuts are probably down to:
Risdon vs Brillante vs Karacic
2 from: Ruka, Nabbout, Petratos, Troisi, Arzani

My guess is Brillante, Petratos, Troisi get cut. And then our team would line-up like this

Ryan
Karacic Sainsbury Jurman Behich
Jedinak Luongo
Leckie-Mooy-???
Juric

Not sure who would get the other flank. Kruse probably. 

Imo it should be 100% 'horses for courses'. Rukya against the French (unless Kruse is training brilliantly), Arzani against the Danes.

There shouldn't really be a First XI. More like a regular 7 or so. And then vary the others according to circumstances.
Edited
6 Years Ago by quickflick
chondro
chondro
Pro

Did you watch petratos in the friendlies?
Looked cool as a cucumber on the ball. Could hold up play and make the right pass. IMO, he's a lock and may start on the left.

Brillante, Troisi, Rukavytsa to be cut.

Arzani, leckie and kruse have pace (which means Rukavytsa as a winger offers nothing new). We need someone like petratos who can retain possession that also can play both as a winger and central attacking midfielder.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

chondro - 20 May 2018 11:23 PM
id you watch petratos in the friendlies?Looked cool as a cucumber on the ball. Could hold up play and make the right pass. IMO, he's a lock and may start on the left.Brillante, Troisi, Rukavytsa to be cut.Arzani, leckie and kruse have pace (which means Rukavytsa as a winger offers nothing new). We need someone like petratos who can retain possession that also can play both as a winger and central attacking midfielder.

Rukya offers express pace over distance (similar to Leckie, except for the other wing). Robbie Kruse and Arzani have pace but over shorter distances (which, in combination with agility, is perfect for what they do). Rukya is a much better option than Arzani against France (and probably a better option than Kruse). However, Arzani is the best option for us against Denmark. Particularly, if we can wrong-foot the Danes by playing a very, very defence heavy game against France.

I agree that Petratos should make the squad. But not a shoo-in starter. As I was saying, I reckon the starting line-up should vary quite a bit on match-to-match basis.
Edited
6 Years Ago by quickflick
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Given the 26 so far I think it lends itself to 4-4-1-1 rather than 4-2-3-1

First XI

----------------Ryan---------------------
Karacic-Sainsbury-Mile-Behich
Leckie-----Mooy----Luongo-----Kruse
------------Rogic--------
-----------Juric---------

Shadow players
----------------Vukovic/Jones------------
Milligan-Degenek--Jurman--Meredith
Arzani-----Irvine----Petratos-----Nabbout
------------Cahill--------
-----------Ruka---------

Out
Risdon - may make it in place of Milligan or Degenek but will give away fouls in dangerous areas
Brillante - poor end to the season - struggles under pressure - zero minutes under BVM
Triosi - poor season with Victory - two assists qualifying - only 7 minutes under BVM
chondro
chondro
Pro

Defensively.

----------------------Ryan
Karacic--Sainsbury--Jurman--Meredith
Leckie----Jedinak-----Luongo----Behich
---------------------Mooy
---------------------Juric
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

First session done. Petratos number 24, Brillante 25, Karacic 26. Probably means nothing. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search