Tim Cahill’s extraordinary achievement [Comments]

Tim Cahill’s extraordinary achievement [Comments]

Author
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
jas88 - 16 May 2018 5:57 PM
we got this guy now this time around... we missed him in 2010.. 

He was 17 in 2010....
soccer_fan
soccer_fan
Hacker
Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)

phutbol - 16 May 2018 5:04 PM
Munrubenmuz - 16 May 2018 3:51 PM

And there was an overhead bicycle kick for Everton. Oh, and that one against China in the Asian Cup.

Just sayin.

Yes fair enough, he has scored a few worldies, I'll admit defeat there. Though ages ago!

But my opinion, you get picked on current merit. The guy hasn't played a full 90min in over 6 months, and on current form and minutes, shouldnt go ahead of someone playing regularly.
HighTimes
HighTimes
Amateur
Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 16 May 2018 2:38 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 16 May 2018 2:34 PM

Perhaps this tall poppy.

But your right tsf, Netherlands were only the semi-finalists at the last World Cup. Not big enough.

FWIW The much maligned Ryan McGowan was the man with the beautiful assist there

HighTimes
HighTimes
Amateur
Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)

soccer_fan - 16 May 2018 6:34 PM

Yes fair enough, he has scored a few worldies, I'll admit defeat there. Though ages ago!

But my opinion, you get picked on current merit. The guy hasn't played a full 90min in over 6 months, and on current form and minutes, shouldnt go ahead of someone playing regularly.

We shouldn't forget this one on the half-volley 18 months ago

Also worth mentioning it was his first A-league game back in Australia and first Melb Derby - More evidence of big game ability.

The guy just shows up literally every time. We do still need him, and i'm sure as hell he'll being trying his little heart out in Russia like he always does. The difference between him and lesser players is that he always comes through with the goods when needed. 

Side note: I also wish he was Thomas Broich personality wise. He's not though.
He's from a legitimately low SES, working class background, and thus has spent his time off the pitch making sure his family are financially secure.
Sure he's a bit cringy at times,
But I seriously can't see how people can doubt his continuing use to the national team or begrudge his right to make money off his image and achievements.

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Cahill was scoring most of his goals against the footballing powerhouses of Tajikistan and Bangladesh. In the third round of qualifying (against the likes of Japan and Saudi Arabia), Cahill scored ONE goal out of the 16 Australia did. To act like he was our main attacking threat in qualifying is disingenuous.
Edited
6 Years Ago by 433
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

soccer_fan - 16 May 2018 6:34 PM

Depends on how you define merit. Are we going to pick our entire squad based on minutes played or are we going to pick guys who offer us something we don't have (a late on, goal scoring threat) and are going to help us win games of football. There are lots of Aussie guys getting minutes in shit leagues around the world, should they be called up too? Giancarlo Gallifuoco has started every game for Dover Athletic this year, if minutes is the the only reason for omitting our greatest ever Socceroo out of the squad then does the same logic apply across the board? 

This whole deluded concept of him somehow being undeserving of a spot due to game time is perplexing. If our top scorer in qualifying, a guy who without his goals to get us out of the shit against Syria we would not being even going to Russia is not deserving, than who the fuck is? How is it that National Team form counts for so little in these people's minds when we are selecting... a National Team?

Al lot of peanuts on here are actually trying to make it out as if t came down to a straight out choice between Cahill and JMac. I would have loved to have seen Jamie in the squad and feel really sorry for him. What people don't seem understand is that there are realistically 3 other forwards in the squad (Ruka/Petratos/Nabbout) that would have been in the mix to be cut too. Why are people not taking Nabbout's minutes into consideration? He has only started one game since moving to Urawa at the start of March, and was even dropped from the match day squad at one point.

I genuinely feel sorry for the tin foil hat morons who claim TC has been included for marketing purposes. How much do they honestly think Caltex is paying for the socceroos branding? Does it measure up against the US 8 million that FIFA hand out to teams making the 2nd round? We know the FFA are not the best operators but do we genuinely think they would jeopardise our teams ability to make them that cash by taking players purely for marketing reasons?

George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro

433 - 16 May 2018 7:55 PM
Cahill was scoring most of his goals against the footballing powerhouses of Tajikistan and Bangladesh. In the third round of qualifying (against the likes of Japan and Saudi Arabia), Cahill scored ONE goal out of the 16 Australia did. To act like he was our main attacking threat in qualifying is disingenuous.

Given that he played a grand total of 45 minutes in the 4 fixtures against the teams you mentioned above, I find your cherry picking of statistics disingenuous. 

TC only started in one of, and featured off the bench in 7 of the 10 games in that round. We struggled immensely in the 3rd round of qualifying with the general gripe being that for all the impressive build up - our conversion to goals was terrible. 

In this round TC played a mere 158 minutes for 1 goal (which earned us a vital away win against the UAE). 

It actually puts him up there with with to the top scorers (all on 5 goals) for the 3rd round of AFC WC qualifying.

Ahmed Khalil (UAE) - 1 goal every 134 minutes
Nawaf Al Abid (SA) - 1 goal every 147 minutes
Juric (AUS) - 1 gaol every 145 minutes

I also find that fact that you fail to mention that the last game he played the full 90 minutes in, 2nd leg against Syria he scored twice, quite convenient that..

Didn't play in the home win against Iraq (2-0)
Played 20 mins and scored the winner against UAE away - 3 points thanks to his goal (0-1)
Played 5 minutes in the draw to Saudi away (2-2)
Played 20 minutes in the draw with Japan at home (1-1)
Was not in the squad in the away draw to Thailand (2-2)
Played 18 minutes in the away draw to Iraq (1-1)
Played 19 minutes in the win at home to UAE (2-0)
Didn't play in the home win against Saudi (3-2)
Played 20 minutes in the away loss with Japan at home (1-1)
Played 57 minutes in the home win against Thailand (2-1)

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Yes? And we found a way to score without him so he's really not needed?
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro

Jesus, is that genuinely the best response you could throw back me? So you have a crack at his round 3 qualifying record and fail miserably and now you want to try and say that ‘we have found a way to score’ therefore we don’t need the one guy who has proven time and time again that he is the only one able to come off the bench and change a game for us? Did you watch the qualifiers? Our finishing was abhorrent. 16 goals sounds great doesn’t it? What you fail to mention is that in every game we completely dominated possession and chances made with our failure to convert in front of goal the main reason why we finished 3rd in our group. So I ask you this, something all the Cahill doubters have failed to be able to answer, your coach, 20 mins to go, we need a goal to make the 2nd round, who comes on?

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

The argument over 'playing time' is ridiculous. Germany just named Neur in their squad and he hasn't played since September. Why? because the manager doesn't care about being fair, he cares about putting the keeper who is most likely to keep the ball out of the back of the net on the pitch. BVM has decided Cahill is an option he'd like to have to call on. He doesn't care about minutes played or who it's for, he cares about who he thinks can deliver what he wants. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

George_Worst - 16 May 2018 6:01 PM
jas88 - 16 May 2018 5:57 PM

He was 17 in 2010....

In the box or out of the box every goal is spectacular. 2nd is probably my favourite
World Class

George_Worst - 16 May 2018 9:16 PM
Jesus, is that genuinely the best response you could throw back me? So you have a crack at his round 3 qualifying record and fail miserably and now you want to try and say that ‘we have found a way to score’ therefore we don’t need the one guy who has proven time and time again that he is the only one able to come off the bench and change a game for us? Did you watch the qualifiers? Our finishing was abhorrent. 16 goals sounds great doesn’t it? What you fail to mention is that in every game we completely dominated possession and chances made with our failure to convert in front of goal the main reason why we finished 3rd in our group. So I ask you this, something all the Cahill doubters have failed to be able to answer, your coach, 20 mins to go, we need a goal to make the 2nd round, who comes on?

Says the bloke suggesting we should pick a guy who hasn't scored at club level since April of last year because of his goalscoring exploits against Bangladesh, Tajikistan and Krygystan LMAO

Edited
6 Years Ago by 433
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro

433 - 17 May 2018 3:17 PM
George_Worst - 16 May 2018 9:16 PM

Says the bloke suggesting we should pick a guy who hasn't scored at club level since April of last year because of his goalscoring exploits against Bangladesh, Tajikistan and Krygystan LMAO

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you? You have been completely unable to respond to the myriad of facts/statistics and logic thrown at you so you revert back to... "he only sores against Bangladesh, Tajikistan and Krygystan...." .

- You have conveniently ignored my point about his goals to minutes record in round 3 of the AFC qualification (perhaps it was too much for you to compute?)
- You have conveniently ignored the argument that National Team form should hold as much, if not more weight when picking a National Team. 
- You have conveniently ignored TC's record of scoring big goals when it matters most over the past 13 years - including his last start for the NT against Syria where he scored TWO goals to once again get us out of the shit. 
- You have conveniently ignored the fact that the other forward options in the initial 32 are either unproven or have failed at international level and our coaching staff (what would they know, right?) may believe a proven/experienced player whose experience both at club and international is vital to our squad. 
- You still, even after being specifically asked to, responded to my question - 20 to go, we need a goal, progression to the last 16 on the line, what striker do you put on instead?? 

You'll likely not address any of these points (because you can't) and instead throw some pointless comment about club football in a desperate attempt to cover up the stupidity of your argument and your inability to respond to facts and logic. 

Laugh. My. Arse. Off. 
World Class

> Just wondering who was our top scorer in qualifying (despite being resigned to the bench for most of the 2nd round fixtures)? How many other nations would have complete moron fans losing their nut because their top scorer in qualifying WAS included in their WC squad.

So yes, your argument was ostensibly that he should be included because of the fact that he was our top goalscorer against the footballing powerhouses of Bangladesh and Tajikistan. 

To respond to your final question (because all of your other points are irrelevant), Arzani and Maclaren would be superior choices off the bench in my opinion. 
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro

433 - 17 May 2018 5:13 PM
> Just wondering who was our top scorer in qualifying (despite being resigned to the bench for most of the 2nd round fixtures)? How many other nations would have complete moron fans losing their nut because their top scorer in qualifying WAS included in their WC squad.

So yes, your argument was ostensibly that he should be included because of the fact that he was our top goalscorer against the footballing powerhouses of Bangladesh and Tajikistan. 

To respond to your final question (because all of your other points are irrelevant), Arzani and Maclaren would be superior choices off the bench in my opinion. 

I get it, I understand, you've backed your moronic arguments in the face of logic and facts to such an extent that you can't back out now. You've now resorted to an abysmal attempt to try paraphrase and simplify my argument down to an idiotic comment you made (scoring against lower tier teams), which was compressively responded to with facts regarding minutes/goals several posts back. Once again, you didn't have the capacity to respond to my other points so just panicked and claimed them to be irrelevant. LMAO.

So recent, match winning form for our National Team is irrelevant when picking a National Team?

So his goal scorer record in Rd 3 of the qualifiers (despite barely playing) is relevant but his record of 2 goals in one start in Rd 4, in a knockout scenario (which is more indicative of a WC situation) is apparently irrelevant

So TC's big game tournament record and experience amongst a largely inexperienced group is somehow irrelevant? (Funny that players who are currently in the squad have said as much, but what would they know, right?)

So the fact that other options in the initial squad, those in direct competition for a spot with TC have not performed at international level and our coaching staff see the need for a proven match winner at the world cup are apparently irrelevant too?

But... but... club minutes....

I think JMac should be there (along with Cahill) and Arazani should be in the squad, but let me get this right:

20 to go, with the game on the line, Juric comes off and coach 433 decides to throw on a 19 year old winger or a guy who has been completely ineffective in all his NT games to this point instead of a guy who has literally a history of saving  our bacon time and time again.    

Interesting logic. 

Pride makes people do funny things. With each desperate post you are looking more and more stupid. Give it up mate. 

World Class

shhh is ok bb
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro

The response of a desperate and embarrassed imbecile who utterly failed in their pathetic attempt to respond to clear logic and facts. Instead we are left with an incoherent 4 worded drivel that has provided us with a fitting insight into your contributions in this thread to date.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search