Let's enjoy the world cup: the thread.

Let's enjoy the world cup: the thread.

Author
footbawler
Hacker
Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Jokes, I'd rather not watch

Edited
6 Years Ago by footbawler
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

We can beat Peru and Denmark but france are the favourites to win the world cup for me 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 18 May 2018 12:12 PM
We can beat Peru and Denmark but france are the favourites to win the world cup for me 

Its all about damage minimisation in the first game. Unfortunately whilst our group isn't impossible to get out of, like in 2010 we play a top side first. We all know how that game derailed  that campaign despite two solid performances against Ghana and Serbia. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I agree France should be favourites for the cup, Peru looks like a team that has performed better than the sum of their parts (beatable imo), Denmark have a lot of talent but have had a few poor results in recent times. We only need a win and draw and a bit of luck to go through to the round of 16.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

yes need more positivity

seriously we look forward to this event every for years

you are mad not to enjoy it!

We get to see our most loved players give it their all against the worlds best

I reckon peru in particular are beatable
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Also another thing to be positive about is if a player like Massimo or even Ryan stand out we could see them go to top club
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Great thread! I’ll just live here for the next month. Pity you can’t block particular posters from specific threads!

I reckon we’ll shock and make last 16!
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 18 May 2018 12:51 PM
Also another thing to be positive about is if a player like Massimo or even Ryan stand out we could see them go to top club

I think Massimo would already be attracting interest from some lower level EPL sides. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Coverdale - 18 May 2018 12:58 PM
Great thread! I’ll just live here for the next month. Pity you can’t block particular posters from specific threads!I reckon we’ll shock and make last 16!

That will dwarf 2006 in terms of it's achievement. 
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

A beacon of hope we have is that the French are very hot and cold in world cups. They alternate between great tournaments or absolute disasters.
1994: Failed to qualify
1998: Won the world cup, their biggest ever success
2002: Eliminated in the group stage, without even scoring goal
2006: Finished runners-up to winners Italy
2010: Eliminated in the group stage, bottom of their group
2014: Quarter Finals, knocked out by winners Germany
2018: ???

If the pattern continues they are due for a disaster this world cup.   

phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Our players generally play in lower leagues compared to our opponents not because they are much worse, but due to the negative perception of Australia as a footballing nation.

Except maybe France :)

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Positive, Arnie is not coaching yet. 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

phutbol - 18 May 2018 2:39 PM

Our players generally play in lower leagues compared to our opponents not because they are much worse, but due to the negative perception of Australia as a footballing nation.

Except maybe France :)

This. 
Plus I feel like we are a better nation more aclimatised to playing away from familiar surrounds unlike Peru.
Denmark will feel fairly comfortable but it's not like they are the equivalent of France or anything, they are beatable. 
It's all about Australia performing to the best which means if we do, we can beat Denmark and Peru and challenge France if they are off their game. 
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Can you imagine Arnie at the big dance!? Sheesh I hope he’s sacked before the next one. Oops that’s too negative.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

We can beat any team at the world cup. 

We could also lose to any team in the top 100 in the world. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 18 May 2018 12:22 PM

Its all about damage minimisation in the first game. Unfortunately whilst our group isn't impossible to get out of, like in 2010 we play a top side first. We all know how that game derailed  that campaign despite two solid performances against Ghana and Serbia. 

could not agree more. and we have a pragmatic Dutch coach in charge as well. hopefully we learned form that disaster. 
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

I think we will win the world cup
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
vincenzogold - 18 May 2018 3:24 PM
I think we will win the world cup

That's a house deposit paid for me if we do lol
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

We may not have the most expensive squad but we were gogood enough to make the finals, so we must be ok.
We have excellent midfielders couple of really good defenders, good goal keepers.
Our only real weekness is up front. 
Grab a win and a draw and a good chance to progress.

Go Roos
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

I'm thinking

Round 1
France 4-0 Australia
Peru 1-Denmark 2

France 3
Denmark 3
Peru 0
Australia 0

Round 2
Denmark 1-2 Australia
France 4-0 Peru

France 6
Denmark 3
Australia 3
Peru 0

Round 3
Denmark 1-4 France
Australia 1-0 Peru

France 9
Australia 6
Denmark 3
Peru 0

George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Great thread. Too much negativity on this forum. It's time to get behind and support our team. To have a team to support in a world cup is an absolute privilege, one which many great football nations have not been afforded this time round. I get the feeling a lot negativity and player slamming is coming from the post 2006 crew who didn't grow up with one failed qualification campaign after another (like a did). 

My positive contribution: This will be the first world cup in most of our lifetimes where we will be able to watch the Socceroos at a reasonable time of the day (2 of the 3 matches anyway). Great for the supporters, and great exposure for our game.

vs France 8pm (AEST)
vs Denmark 10pm (AEST)
vs Peru 12 am (AEST)
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Absolutely superb idea for a thread.

I will enjoy the whole shebang.
I'll especially enjoy again seeing A league players at the tournament, and hopefully on the pitch at some stage, knowing I can see these guys live every week.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

First World Cup I'll be attending. Feel absolutely fantastic. Put a mega hole in the bank account, but life goes on! FANTASTIC!!!!!! My dream, to see an Aussie become only the third player in history to score at 4 world Cups. And to progress beyond the round of 16!
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Footballking55 - 18 May 2018 4:40 PM
First World Cup I'll be attending. Feel absolutely fantastic.

Same here, very optimistic. Dreams are free (even if flights, hotels and match tickets aren't).
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Jealous!
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

George_Worst - 18 May 2018 4:46 PM
Jealous!

:)
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

I really dont care if we go 0-3... I just want to see Arzani running at quality defenders...I'm keen to see how he does... if he has half a decent tourney he wont be in Aus for long. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 18 May 2018 3:17 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 18 May 2018 12:22 PM

could not agree more. and we have a pragmatic Dutch coach in charge as well. hopefully we learned form that disaster. 

from Guus or Pim?
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

jas88 - 18 May 2018 5:15 PM
I really dont care if we go 0-3... I just want to see Arzani running at quality defenders...I'm keen to see how he does... if he has half a decent tourney he wont be in Aus for long. 

So you wanted Ange gone because you weren't happy with the results despite getting results and now you don't care if we get zero points from Russia with a coach that was purely hired to get wins. Back to your positivity only when you feel like it. 
RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro

lebo_roo - 18 May 2018 6:05 PM
jas88 - 18 May 2018 5:15 PM

So you wanted Ange gone because you weren't happy with the results despite getting results and now you don't care if we get zero points from Russia with a coach that was purely hired to get wins. Back to your positivity only when you feel like it. 

Rip jas88
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search