Membership for 2018/2019

Membership for 2018/2019

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The tracker is now live on the a league website for those keen on checking 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 13 Jul 2018 5:43 PM
The tracker is now live on the a league website for those keen on checking 

The whole member thing is a bit of a wank TBF.

Why not just post full ticketed season tickets sold, none of this pet membership nonsense.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Wanderers 13,598
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Wellington Phoenix 12!

Wellington Phoenix FC

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Total memberships so far for the 2018-19 season is:-  52,133

https://www.a-league.com.au/membership

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Gyfox - 13 Jul 2018 8:51 PM
Wanderers 13,598

Auto-renew on :)
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Burztur - 17 Jul 2018 2:07 PM
Gyfox - 13 Jul 2018 8:51 PM

Auto-renew on :)

People wanting to make sure they get priority treatment when the new stadium comes on line.  Will be low attendance if we aren't very competitiven this season.  :)
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

That's true as well. But I think I've lost my seat with the new stadium. I think it's replaced with a corporate box :(
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Burztur - 17 Jul 2018 7:05 PM
That's true as well. But I think I've lost my seat with the new stadium. I think it's replaced with a corporate box :(

Mine too.  Even though I can't get up there for games any more I've still kept my membership.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Canberra have signed up 3,000 members.
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

AFL club membership numbers 2018: Over 1 million members, Richmond surpasses six figures

AFL club membership in 2018 has shattered all previous records, but a Melbourne giant has staggeringly gone backwards, despite booming success on the field.

Ben Waterworth

THE AFL has released the final club membership tallies for the 2018 season, with the league finally cracking the magical seven-figure mark despite the decline of two Victorian clubs.Following the July 31 deadline, the AFL announced the annual membership ladder, with the grand total of club members coming in at a record 1,008,494.It’s the first time over 1 million club members have signed up in a season, with AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan declaring that one in 24 Australians are signed up to a club — “sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater”.

In a statement, McLachlan thanked fans for supporting clubs and the game.
“The commitment members make to their clubs is the key reason why our game continues to prosper,” McLachlan said.
“Our clubs give us a connection. Our games fill us with hope, despair and joy, and today it makes us proud.”
On the back of its fairytale 2017 premiership, Richmond finished on top of the membership after becoming the first club to ever surpass 100,000 members early last week.  The Tigers, who finished third on last year’s member ladder, leapfrogged both Collingwood and Hawthorn, which were first and second respectively in 2017.

AFL Club membership ladder 2018.

AFL Club membership ladder 2018.Source:FOX SPORTS

While the Hawks increased their tally by nearly 5000 members this year to hold in second spot, the Magpies fell to fifth as they were one of just two clubs to lose members over the 12-month period.

The other club was the Western Bulldogs, who experienced the biggest percentage variation drop (-9.2%) of any club. After signing up over 47,000 members last year — coming off the club’s 2016 flag — the Bulldogs finished with 43,246 members, yet still maintained its 12tjh-placed rankings.

However the fact only two clubs recorded membership losses is a positive for the AFL after six clubs fell backwards last year.

Richmond also finished with the biggest percentage variation boost (+30.6%), followed by the West Coast Eagles (+23.4%) after their shock rise up the ladder this year.

But the AFL might be just as thrilled with the increases from the GWS Giants and Brisbane Lions.

The Giants finished 2018 with 25,243 members — a 20.5 per cent increase on their 2017 tally, which was the third biggest variation increase of all clubs.

The Lions were also up 16.4 per cent from last year (ranked 5th) to finish with 24,867 members.

Overall, eight clubs finished with 60,000 or more members, up from five last year, with Geelong (16.3%) and Adelaide (13.8%) recording significant increases and Sydney (3.6%) just ticking over the 60,000 mark.

The league said AFLW membership increased on its inaugural season, with 9406 members (up 30.7%) signing up.

AFL club membership increased for the 27th time in the past 28 years. The exception was in 2000, when the AFL season was pushed forward by a month to accommodate the Sydney Olympics.

Full Article Here

How many members belong to pet rocks or goldfish?

Edited
6 Years Ago by aok
tsf
tsf
Legend

I’m letting my mv membership lapse this year, not for any protest or political reasons but last season I only got to a handful of games.

Myself and ppl I go with have been members since the start, but imo the membership loyalty thing is really not much at all. They sell it as an incentive but in the wash up you don’t really get that good added benefits.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

tsf - 2 Aug 2018 2:01 PM
I’m letting my mv membership lapse this year, not for any protest or political reasons but last season I only got to a handful of games. Myself and ppl I go with have been members since the start, but imo the membership loyalty thing is really not much at all. They sell it as an incentive but in the wash up you don’t really get that good added benefits.

You could get a 5 game membership. That's what I do as I live in Geelong and would never attend more than 8 games a season. It works out great value at $26 a game versus paying $32-38 per game.  
tsf
tsf
Legend

^ that’s a good idea. I will see if they do family 5 game memberships.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

I’m letting my mv membership lapse this year, not for any protest or political reasons but last season I only got to a handful of games. Myself and ppl I go with have been members since the start, but imo the membership loyalty thing is really not much at all. They sell it as an incentive but in the wash up you don’t really get that good added benefits.

I let mine lapse. 

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

tsf - 2 Aug 2018 2:19 PM

Think it is something like the following for family MV memberships:
$330 - 5 games
$508 - All with GA
$576 - All with C+ at AAMI and GA at Marvel

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

They also offer a supporter membership option. I think it's mainly for members that may be travelling overseas/interstate for the year so are not going to be able to go to any home games. It basically means you retain any loyalty benefits for the future but you don't get any access to home games. When you attend a home game you would still need to buy a ticket. If they make finals you would also still get presale ticket access like a normal member.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Just a note about the 5 game memberships. You can't use them for any 'category A' games. So, no Melbourne Derbies or Big Blues. 
They have a 8 game membership ($152 for an adult = $19 per game). With that option you can go to any 'category A' games.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

someguyjc - 2 Aug 2018 2:57 PM

Just a note about the 5 game memberships. You can't use them for any 'category A' games. So, no Melbourne Derbies or Big Blues. 
They have a 8 game membership ($152 for an adult = $19 per game). With that option you can go to any 'category A' games.

We have the 8 game membership. I think they class it as a country membership. We are in geelong so it works out good. Its for 5 games at etihad and 3 at aami
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Think I’ll be reducing my membership down to 5 games as well.

Games at Etihad don’t interest me for this coming season and with a few inevitable clashes a full season isn’t worth it.
evolution
evolution
Hacker
Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)

Current tally on the Jets website: 823

Rollover date for the auto-renewals is the 10th of August so should see a spike in numbers then. Would expect good numbers this year after last season.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Wanderers 14399 up 737 since membership opened to non members this week.
Shanagar
Shanagar
Rising Star
Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)Rising Star (789 reputation)

I never fully understand the membership numbers.
I'd like to see a table comparing - Club membership v Average home crowds.
I look at Glory and see say 8,000 members, average crowd 9,000. Some members can't go, some walk ups, etc, fair enough.
The point being is that for those reasons, I'd always expect crowd numbers to be greater than a club's membership number.
Then say Melb City - but there are others - say 15,000 members, average crowd 9,000. Take out a Derby or two, average would be a lot less.
How does all that work?
I can't afford to pay $350 at $25 a game and not front up, so how do clubs end up with so many members, yet so few regularly attend? This is not just can't go for a match or two, this is over entire seasons.

It's also a AFL puzzle for me, where I thought memberships were far more costly.
Richmond now have 100,000 members. I went to my first MCG game this year - Richmond v St Kilda, beautiful sunny day, Saints a bit ordinary anyway, but only 28,000 went?
Take out say a few Saints members who went, plus 1/2 of WA who were there for Eagles the next day, and where are the 100,000 Richmond members?
Same the next day, Hawthorn with 50,000+ members playing the Eagles with huge travelling fan numbers, and the crowd is 35,000?

Perhaps is all just so any sporting club and the media can measure member generated income, but would still rather see people actually at games.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Shanagar - 5 Aug 2018 7:53 PM
I never fully understand the membership numbers.
I'd like to see a table comparing - Club membership v Average home crowds.
I look at Glory and see say 8,000 members, average crowd 9,000. Some members can't go, some walk ups, etc, fair enough.
The point being is that for those reasons, I'd always expect crowd numbers to be greater than a club's membership number.
Then say Melb City - but there are others - say 15,000 members, average crowd 9,000. Take out a Derby or two, average would be a lot less.
How does all that work?
I can't afford to pay $350 at $25 a game and not front up, so how do clubs end up with so many members, yet so few regularly attend? This is not just can't go for a match or two, this is over entire seasons.

It's also a AFL puzzle for me, where I thought memberships were far more costly.
Richmond now have 100,000 members. I went to my first MCG game this year - Richmond v St Kilda, beautiful sunny day, Saints a bit ordinary anyway, but only 28,000 went?
Take out say a few Saints members who went, plus 1/2 of WA who were there for Eagles the next day, and where are the 100,000 Richmond members?
Same the next day, Hawthorn with 50,000+ members playing the Eagles with huge travelling fan numbers, and the crowd is 35,000?

Perhaps is all just so any sporting club and the media can measure member generated income, but would still rather see people actually at games.

The membership count here is a bit different compared to the season ticket count of other countries. Even if you have a 1 game membership, it will count towards the clubs total member numbers. All in all it is an intentional misrepresentation to make the figures look nice.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

I think only about 70% of members attend any given match. Also, the 3 or 5 game memberships distort the numbers as mentioned above. It’s still a good measure of people putting money into the league though.
asanchez
asanchez
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Yes the AFL has the biggest membership numbers in the country, as they should. They are the biggest sport, with by far the most money and government support.
It’s almost a tradition in Melbourne, to not only support an AFL side, but to be a member and help your club, which is actually a great concept. However I wouldn’t read too much into their numbers, because while they are huge, things like interstate memberships, pet memberships, and other memberships that are counted, while some of those people don’t even go to 1 game for the season, yet they are still counted.

It’s a joke when you see the GWS have 25k members, and when they play a home game vs a large Victorian club like Richmond or Collingwood, the gate is 15k max, and when you look around, at least 50% of the crowd if not more are wearing opposition colours...
Who are these people kidding???

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

asanchez - 5 Aug 2018 9:10 PM
Yes the AFL has the biggest membership numbers in the country, as they should. They are the biggest sport, with by far the most money and government support. It’s almost a tradition in Melbourne, to not only support an AFL side, but to be a member and help your club, which is actually a great concept. However I wouldn’t read too much into their numbers, because while they are huge, things like interstate memberships, pet memberships, and other memberships that are counted, while some of those people don’t even go to 1 game for the season, yet they are still counted. It’s a joke when you see the GWS have 25k members, and when they play a home game vs a large Victorian club like Richmond or Collingwood, the gate is 15k max, and when you look around, at least 50% of the crowd if not more are wearing opposition colours... Who are these people kidding???

Biggest and richest sport in the country yet they cannot properly support the womens league.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

I keep on getting emails from the Swans with an account number... maybe they count me as a member... I blame going to a SFC away game.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“Champions Melbourne Victory have the most members with 17,313, followed by Western Sydney (14,531), Sydney FC (8,478), Brisbane (5,875), Melbourne City (5790) and the Jets (5,467)”

Jets are 500 ahead of this time last year and aiming to break the club record of 11,200

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5578830/a-league-jets-aiming-to-fly-towards-membership-record/
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Burztur - 6 Aug 2018 12:31 AM
I keep on getting emails from the Swans with an account number... maybe they count me as a member... I blame going to a SFC away game.

I went to watch Melbourne Heart vs Sydney during the 12-13 season and have received glossy Melbourne City membership packages on a number of occasions. What a waste of money. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search