Optus signs 4 year deals for UEFA Euros and Nations League

Optus signs 4 year deals for UEFA Euros and Nations League

Author
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Optus signs deals for UEFA Euros and Nations League

MAX MASON JULY 15, 2018
France's Kylian Mbappe will likely be playing in the Nations League and Euros.
France's Kylian Mbappe will likely be playing in the Nations League and Euros.
Max Mason AFR Woodcut
Max Mason AFR Woodcut

Optus is believed to have finalised a deal for local broadcasting rights to all European national team football for the next four years, including the UEFA European Championship and the Nations League.

The telecommunications provider is pushing forward with its football-focused content strategy, seeking to learn its lessons from its disastrous World Cup campaign and leave it behind.

The Euros deal, first flagged by The Australian Financial Review in March, and Nations League will bolster Optus' football coverage as the telco seeks to differentiate itself by securing a suite of rights across the sport.

Sources said Optus had acquired the rights to all European national team football for the next four years, excluding any Socceroos matches played outside Europe.
This includes the 2020 Euros and qualifiers, the new Nations League starting in September.

The Nations League is a new international competition involving 55 Union of European Football Association (UEFA) member nations. The Nations League is broken up into two parts, the league and the finals, both of which Optus is understood to have locked in the rights.

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Wow, good luck with that lul
lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

Wait it says excluding Roo games outside Europe. So does it mean any games the Roo play in Europe is only on optus....
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

So BEIN sports is just not competing for these contracts anymore??
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

lolitsbigmic - 16 Jul 2018 11:10 AM
Wait it says excluding Roo games outside Europe. So does it mean any games the Roo play in Europe is only on optus....

Yeah that's confusing - I reckon it means that, if the Socceroos play a European team in Europe, they hold the rights to broadcast it?
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Putting the access issues aside for a moment.

Optus coverage of this WC has been outstanding, as has the EPL coverage that preceded it (says my son), so if they can fix the access issues - which must be fixable because the rest of the world manages it - they are a very welcome competitor and are at least showing a passion for football content .... unlike FoxSports
WSF
WSF
Pro

Waz - 16 Jul 2018 11:20 AM
Putting the access issues aside for a moment. Optus coverage of this WC has been outstanding, as has the EPL coverage that preceded it (says my son), so if they can fix the access issues - which must be fixable because the rest of the world manages it - they are a very welcome competitor and are at least showing a passion for football content .... unlike FoxSports

You serious? :laugh:
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

WSF - 16 Jul 2018 11:37 AM

You serious? :laugh:

I agree totally with Waz - the Optus coverage has been spectacular for the most part. Just a shame that not everybody could access it!
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ WSF

Yes. What didn’t you like about it?

(We had no access issues by the way, which I’m sure colours many opinion)

But concentrating on what they did do: I thought the match coverage was very good, the analysis way better than Fox, and the highlights/mini-matches were terrific.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

As somebody who is not with Optus this is bad news for me
Waz
Waz
Legend

The message to FoxSports with all their smugness about Optus technical problems is simple - everything that Optus did was better than FoxSports, everything, and I’d argue it was superior to SBS as well - so it’s not just the A League that’s gone “stale” it’s the TV coverage as well

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Putting the access issues aside for a moment. Optus coverage of this WC has been outstanding, as has the EPL coverage that preceded it (says my son), so if they can fix the access issues - which must be fixable because the rest of the world manages it - they are a very welcome competitor and are at least showing a passion for football content .... unlike FoxSports

Yes it was very good - I much preferred the analysis by Optus over SBS, except for maybe Okon... dude never looks happy.

This announcement seems to be them committing to football though, which I can't help but support.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

My read on that is if the Socceroos play a European team in Europe then Optus and fox will broadcast it, but if it’s outside Europe then only fox (and possibly FTA) have the rights
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I don't see anything special about Optus coverage. It's fine, but no better than either fox sports or sbs. I actually preferred watching premier league on Fox because I liked hearing the analysis by local pundits. I'd take Bozza over those English dinosaur coaches they trot out on optus any day. And I watched the whole world cup on sbs. Optus simply has no one as insightful as Foster and its lead-in shows were often embarrassing.
bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Derider - 16 Jul 2018 12:08 PM
I don't see anything special about Optus coverage. It's fine, but no better than either fox sports or sbs. I actually preferred watching premier league on Fox because I liked hearing the analysis by local pundits. I'd take Bozza over those English dinosaur coaches they trot out on optus any day. And I watched the whole world cup on sbs. Optus simply has no one as insightful as Foster and its lead-in shows were often embarrassing.

On demand and mini matches

Without them I wouldnt have been able to see the world cup due to work commitments

If they also have these features for the EPL I'm converting

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

@bluebird

They don’t have EPL mini matches off memory but they have pretty decent on demand. It’s not every game but I think it averages at about 7 or 8 of the 10 games each match day. I think they’re allowed on demand for about 30 of each clubs 38 matches each season. They let you know if it’s an on demand game in advance, and if not it’s still replayed on their ‘Optus sport 1’ channel during the week. The games do become unavailable at the start of each new match day (usually Saturday evening our time).

I was a sceptic when they first signed the rights, but IMO it’s far and away the best and most comprehensive coverage of any football league we’ve ever had here.
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 16 Jul 2018 11:41 AM
As somebody who is not with Optus this is bad news for me

you dont have to be 'with' optus in terms of using them for phone/broadband/whatever. just subscribe to the sports package with your current carrier. $15 a month everyone can afford. Whether it stays that cheap is probably debatable though.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Pipe dream from me but when the 10 contract ends I would love Optus to get it, if they charge a reasonable price.

OK OK OK its only a dream but say Optus paid 25 million for two A-League matches, charge a small amount for it.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Midfielder - 16 Jul 2018 1:35 PM
Pipe dream from me but when the 10 contract ends I would love Optus to get it, if they charge a reasonable price.

OK OK OK its only a dream but say Optus paid 25 million for two A-League matches, charge a small amount for it.

What? You actually want to pay to pay to watch the a-league? As in, you'd prefer that 10 loses the rights so Optus can charge for it? It's a strange thing to wish you had to pay for something you currently get for free. Money to burn, eh?
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

99 Problems - 16 Jul 2018 12:23 PM
@bluebirdThey don’t have EPL mini matches off memory but they have pretty decent on demand. It’s not every game but I think it averages at about 7 or 8 of the 10 games each match day. I think they’re allowed on demand for about 30 of each clubs 38 matches each season. They let you know if it’s an on demand game in advance, and if not it’s still replayed on their ‘Optus sport 1’ channel during the week. The games do become unavailable at the start of each new match day (usually Saturday evening our time).I was a sceptic when they first signed the rights, but IMO it’s far and away the best and most comprehensive coverage of any football league we’ve ever had here.

280 games on demand. Though they expire after a few days. The have the highlights show. Gary Nevilles soccer box is great. Sits with past premier league players and talks about a game they played each other in.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 16 Jul 2018 10:43 AM

The Nations League is a new international competition involving 55 Union of European Football Association (UEFA) member nations. The Nations League is broken up into two parts, the league and the finals, both of which Optus is understood to have locked in the rights.

Bah!
Only plastic competitions have finals to decide the winner, right?

SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

For my taste, the Optus coverage was superior to SBS.  It was certainly better than most of what Fox ran with last year. 
If Fox got rid of Slater and Bosnich, replaced them with any of the Optus pundits, it would help.

Mel has lost nothing.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Don't mind it, shits all over typical streams. 

Wouldn't hurt to have SBS show a few games as well. They should merge. 

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

petszk - 16 Jul 2018 2:15 PM

Bah!

Apart from the finals are just for the 4 League A group winners

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
Waz
Waz
Legend

The Nations League will also utilise groups of three so a glimpse of future WCs
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

The Nations League

The 55 member associations have been split into four Leagues according to their respective coefficients, with those rankings again used to subdivide them into pots. Here's the make-up:

League A
Pot 1: Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain.
Pot 2: France, England, Switzerland, Italy.
Pot 3: Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands.

League B
Pot 1: Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia.
Pot 2: Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Pot 3: Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey.

League C
Pot 1: Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia.
Pot 2: Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway.
Pot 3: Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland.
Pot 4: Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania.

League D
Pot 1: Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia.
Pot 2: Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg.
Pot 3: Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta.
Pot 4: Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar.

Edited
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Waz - 16 Jul 2018 2:36 PM
The Nations League will also utilise groups of three so a glimpse of future WCs

it's already been done at 1982 WC and was immediately dropped for 1986

Edited
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

petszk - 16 Jul 2018 2:15 PM

Bah!

apart from P&R for everyone else

Edited
WSF
WSF
Pro

Waz - 16 Jul 2018 11:40 AM
@ WSF Yes. What didn’t you like about it? (We had no access issues by the way, which I’m sure colours many opinion) But concentrating on what they did do: I thought the match coverage was very good, the analysis way better than Fox, and the highlights/mini-matches were terrific.

So outstanding they gave the remaining coverage to sbs?

Disastrous is the word I would use. 

From their own mouths

"We’re not going to pretend our delivery of the 2018 FIFA World Cup was anything but a monumental stuff up."
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

WSF - 16 Jul 2018 3:10 PM
Waz - 16 Jul 2018 11:40 AM

So outstanding they gave the remaining coverage to sbs?

Disastrous is the word I would use. 

From their own mouths

"We’re not going to pretend our delivery of the 2018 FIFA World Cup was anything but a monumental stuff up."

The fact it shat itself is different to the quality of content on there when it wasn't shitting itself though
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search