Cricket Nostalgia Thread

Cricket Nostalgia Thread

Author
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hey y'all. This thread is for posting videos of classic innings, wickets, matches. There's a heap of footage on YouTube. Sometimes it's nice to watch them.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I thought I'd start it off with Sunil Gavaskar vs the West Indies. Cannot believe how courageous the bloke was.

Obviously, he had wonderful technique and athletic ability to be able to defend against Michael Holding's speed and skill and so on, and to play the pull shot and cut shot like that. He had brilliant fast feet.

But think about the guts to hook Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, etc. without a helmet. If you make a mistake, you could well die (or worse). And Sunny did this for hours and hours against not one but a quartet of the most lethal bowlers in history.

Having trouble embedding the video. It's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6N6pluRzg
Edited
6 Years Ago by quickflick
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

quickflick - 28 Oct 2018 6:33 AM
I thought I'd start it off with Sunil Gavaskar vs the West Indies. Cannot believe how courageous the bloke was.

Obviously, he had wonderful technique and athletic ability to be able to defend against Michael Holding's speed and skill and so on, and to play the pull shot and cut shot like that. He had brilliant fast feet.

But think about the guts to hook Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, etc. without a helmet. If you make a mistake, you could well die (or worse). And Sunny did this for hours and hours against not one but a quartet of the most lethal bowlers in history.

Gavaskar was an impressive performer.
Justin Smith
Justin Smith
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

Having trouble embedding the video. It's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6N6pluRzg

Still India lost though

A cricket analyst at Dream11 Prediction

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Not really highlights but Faf Du Plessis blocking out 376 deliveries on debut in Adelaide was one of the finest grittiest toughest knocks Ive seen. 

I dont think Ive seen a player play such a captains knock on debut like that- you just knew hed captain his country soon enough

ARNIE= LEGEND

Edited
6 Years Ago by RedKat
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
cricketanalyst - 29 Oct 2018 8:12 PM

Still India lost though

Welcome to the forum, Justin.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

quickflick - 28 Oct 2018 5:20 AM
Hey y'all. This thread is for posting videos of classic innings, wickets, matches. There's a heap of footage on YouTube. Sometimes it's nice to watch them.

Good one quickflick. I am a nostalgia tragic too.

Lillee and Thommo in their prime smashing the Poms in Brisbane 74/75.
https://youtu.be/nTaVRuxje80

Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 31 Oct 2018 11:27 AM
quickflick - 28 Oct 2018 5:20 AM

Good one quickflick. I am a nostalgia tragic too.

Lillee and Thommo in their prime smashing the Poms in Brisbane 74/75.
https://youtu.be/nTaVRuxje80

Yes Sunny's brave knock takes some beating. This also took enormous determination against incredible odds too. An oversized, in the veteran class at 41, Colin Cowdrey stood up to the best Lillee and Thommo could throw at them in 74/75. Could not find any footage.  🎩
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 31 Oct 2018 11:43 AM
baggygreenmania - 31 Oct 2018 11:27 AM

Yes Sunny's brave knock takes some beating. This also took enormous determination against incredible odds too. An oversized, in the veteran class at 41, Colin Cowdrey stood up to the best Lillee and Thommo could throw at them in 74/75. Could not find any footage.  🎩

Look harder Baggers: if anything - both Ashes 74/75 and 2005 are a tad bit overdone. By a tad - I mean ad nauseam. ;)

Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Re-live Steve Waugh's famous last ball century at the SCG in 2003.
https://cricketaustralia-a.akamaihd.net/rtmp/807051129001/201412/807051129001_3944920468001_Waugh-century-off-last-ball-FIONA-CATV-HD.mp4?pubId=807051129001&videoId=3569565510001

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search