Cricket dumps rugby boss [Comments]

Cricket dumps rugby boss [Comments]

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Inside Sport Bot - 7 Nov 2018 1:51 PM

Well there you go Baggers - he's gone already now.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 7 Nov 2018 2:16 PM
Inside Sport Bot - 7 Nov 2018 1:51 PM

Well there you go Baggers - he's gone already now.

Yes Paddles. There will be plenty of cheers with this news. Did Howard jump or was he pushed as it was said he was to leave at completion of next years Ashes.

Coming from a rugby background Howard was never going to fit into cricket. Reckon he did  more damage than good. Can not be too many more CA board members left to fall on their swords. How many are there exactly? Just hurry up. Australian cricket wants a clean slate for a new beginning.

Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 7 Nov 2018 3:29 PM
Paddles - 7 Nov 2018 2:16 PM

Yes Paddles. There will be plenty of cheers with this news. Did Howard jump or was he pushed as it was said he was to leave at completion of next years Ashes.

Coming from a rugby background Howard was never going to fit into cricket. Reckon he did  more damage than good. Can not be too many more CA board members left to fall on their swords. How many are there exactly? Just hurry up. Australian cricket wants a clean slate for a new beginning.

He was dumped. Not even "pushed".

I don't see why he needed to come from a cricket background myself. That just smacks of jobs for the boys post-playing to me. He either knows his stuff, or he does not. Most these performance guys do not have any professional playing experience in any code.

But it is what it is. The likes of I Chappell and S Warne were never going to warm to him and he was always an easy target for their soundbites of "he hasn't played cricket". Like a batsman and a spinner know what its like to bowl fast in Australia in the modern era of continuous games at home and abroad ;-)

All he did was give the test fast bowlers a break during the ODI and T20i - You'd think a strength and conditioning coach could tell the selectors when to give someone a spell on the sideline.

I have no issue with him being from rugby, I just don't think his job is even needed!

Want to know why Neil Wagner is so fit and rarely injured despite incredibly long bowling spells? Because he is trained by former Olympic sprinter Chris Donaldson. His diet is monitored by Chris Donaldson. Everything that goes into or out of his body is monitored by Chris Donaldson. Get someone like that in there.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/100705289/fitter-faster-stronger-black-caps-take-pride-in-leading-the-way-for-new-zealand-sports-teams

I know which of the 2 teams has improved the most over the last 7 years of Donaldson vs Howard. With only Boult (a 3 format player) suffering only 1 serious injury since 2011! Wags, Southee - 0. Australia broke Rhino, broke Patto, broke Cummins, broke NCN...

Noone needs an executive for "high performance". What they need is someone teaching these guys how to get and stay fit. Whether they played cricket or not, does not matter. Get a bowling coach if that is necessary. But physical performance -this is a job best done by a guy in a tracksuit, maybe with a whistle and clipboard, definitely not a suit and tie at the damn Board table! What on earth?!

For me it is not because he came from Rugby. It is because his entire job is bollocks.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 7 Nov 2018 3:44 PM
baggygreenmania - 7 Nov 2018 3:29 PM

He was dumped. Not even "pushed".

I don't see why he needed to come from a cricket background myself. That just smacks of jobs for the boys post-playing to me. He either knows his stuff, or he does not. Most these performance guys do not have any professional playing experience in any code.

But it is what it is. The likes of I Chappell and S Warne were never going to warm to him and he was always an easy target for their soundbites of "he hasn't played cricket". Like a batsman and a spinner know what its like to bowl fast in Australia in the modern era of continuous games at home and abroad ;-)

All he did was give the test fast bowlers a break during the ODI and T20i - You'd think a strength and conditioning coach could tell the selectors when to give someone a spell on the sideline.

I have no issue with him being from rugby, I just don't think his job is even needed!

Want to know why Neil Wagner is so fit and rarely injured despite incredibly long bowling spells? Because he is trained by former Olympic sprinter Chris Donaldson. His diet is monitored by Chris Donaldson. Everything that goes into or out of his body is monitored by Chris Donaldson. Get someone like that in there.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/100705289/fitter-faster-stronger-black-caps-take-pride-in-leading-the-way-for-new-zealand-sports-teams

I know which of the 2 teams has improved the most over the last 7 years of Donaldson vs Howard. With only Boult (a 3 format player) suffering only 1 serious injury since 2011! Wags, Southee - 0. Australia broke Rhino, broke Patto, broke Cummins, broke NCN...

Noone needs an executive for "high performance". What they need is someone teaching these guys how to get and stay fit. Whether they played cricket or not, does not matter. Get a bowling coach if that is necessary. But physical performance -this is a job best done by a guy in a tracksuit, maybe with a whistle and clipboard, definitely not a suit and tie at the damn Board table! What on earth?!

For me it is not because he came from Rugby. It is because his entire job is bollocks.

Guess that speaks for itself. He did more than rest our Test bowlers.. he mollycoddled them. They were in cotton wool more often than not.  I seem to recall Dennis Lillee  saying when asked do you need a rest..words to this affect " the  best rest for a fast bowler is more bowling".
I found the biggest negative to this resting of a player were the amount of established, mature quicks going down with the kids ailment back stress fractures. Didnt Howard see this and wonder why and do something to rectify it? Behrendorrf, Siddle..two I can name.. Hazlewood had a minor stress fracture and he too is now a mature bowler.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

I do not understand Howard's old job or role, nor why and how he did it in a suit and tie at a Board table.

I am not a thick person. But I really do not understand it.

A former Olympic sprinter tracksuit wearing strength and conditioning coach monitoring someone's fitness, health, diet and exercise - I get it. Selectors giving someone a spell on the advice of that person - I get it. 

But a "high performance" suit and tie guy on the Board - I do not understand at all.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search