Collapse the A-league.

Collapse the A-league.

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bit of a tongue in cheek topic but after knobhead has come out and said there's going to be no pro/rel until 2034 at the earliest I'm completely over it.

The owners don't want it and the FFA don't want it.  And we're sitting here bored out of our scones.

The only way forward I see is a complete slash and burn of the current setup.  I can't stand the current malaise surrounding the A-league at the moment. 

Besides watching the occasional highlights package on Fox I've completely lost interest.  Our youth teams are fucked, we can't win a game in the ACL and if it weren't for the 48 team world cup format coming up we'd be lucky to qualify for the next one.

I want Fox to offer a third or even a quarter of the cash next TV deal and I want the A-League to collapse holus bolus.

Maybe then from the ashes can something half decent get built from the ground up.

Fuck them all.

Member since 2008.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Might be difficult to come back from a complete collapse.  We'd probably end up with the NSL Mark II.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I’ll stick with my theme ...

Leave the HAL alone (for now) but what the fuck are the AAFC doing with that second division?

If we had that this p/r debate has some meaning, without it there’s no real discussion.

It looks like an utter clusterfuck
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

bettega - 25 Mar 2019 4:23 PM
Might be difficult to come back from a complete collapse.  We'd probably end up with the NSL Mark II.

The trick would be to re-form it but with 2 divisions from the start.  Calve off a certain amount from the TV deal to fund the travel of the teams from the second division which is what ever fucker who is against a 2nd division seems to fixate on.  "What about the cost, who's going to pay for it?"  Blah, blah blah.  FMD!

With travel paid for we can stop fucking about and get on with it how it's all going to work.

Honestly, I'll be in the ground before these cunce get on with it.

Member since 2008.

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Hmmm didnt the NSL collapse when Perth were strong and expansion was seen as a saviour?
Technically I see independence as a new start.

If all that happens is same same but different .Then collapse or shrinkage to irrelevance will follow.

Whatever happens with a new independent HAL,there has to be a long term plan that fans can get behind.
That plan must be merit based and allow any worthy club to reach the top tier .

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@Muz

We can’t have our time again but that dual division approach was the way we should have gone from day 1 of the re-born HAL.

socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

The APFCA have said in their blueprint that "a fully expanded League model must be achieved and sustained before the introduction of promotion and relegation can be considered."

Club owners are not going to vote for their clubs to be at risk of relegation. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by socceroo_06
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

and how would the AFC react when the league collapse? they'll probably send us to the very bottom of the pyramid. no champions league games what so ever

Muz
Muz
Legend

Waz - 25 Mar 2019 4:37 PM
@Muz We can’t have our time again but that dual division approach was the way we should have gone from day 1 of the re-born HAL.

We can have our time again.  

If no one watches it, if Fox refuse to pay top dollar it will fall over.  (It's already tanking badly now.)

Imagine if Fox said at the next TV deal '$10 million a year, take it or leave it"?.

I would laugh my head off.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

HeyItsRobbie - 25 Mar 2019 4:42 PM
and how would the AFC react when the league collapse? they'll probably send us to the very bottom of the pyramid. no champions league games what so ever

Who cares mate.  We can't win a game, no bastard goes because they don't give a shit and it costs the clubs a fortune to compete.

Member since 2008.

socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

The club owners will never green-light pro/rel. Simple as that. 

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

reminds me of when we were in the school yard trying to pick fair teams with school kids and someone always complained the teams are not fair 
Muz
Muz
Legend

socceroo_06 - 25 Mar 2019 4:46 PM

Which is why it needs to collapse.

Member since 2008.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Group: Banned Members
Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 4:43 PM
Waz - 25 Mar 2019 4:37 PM

We can have our time again.  

If no one watches it, if Fox refuse to pay top dollar it will fall over.  (It's already tanking badly now.)

Imagine if Fox said at the next TV deal '$10 million a year, take it or leave it"?.

I would laugh my head off.

And what do we do with the thousands of fans who will be lost to the game if someone says nope, your team doesn't exist anymore. 

Burning everything to the ground again is only going to set us further back. We need to link the old and the new to move forward. 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Who is going to pay to broadcast this new league, or does your new fantasy league not need broadcast revenue?

Beaten by Eldar

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 4:44 PM
HeyItsRobbie - 25 Mar 2019 4:42 PM

Who cares mate.  We can't win a game, no bastard goes because they don't give a shit and it costs the clubs a fortune to compete.

That's not entirely accurate. Each club gets US$60k per stage (group, round of 16, quarters, etc) for travel expenses. They then get US$50K for every win and US$10K for every draw. If they make it to the round of 16 they get an addition US$100K. Then another US$150K for the quarters, and US$250K for the semis. The winner of the whole thing gets US$4M and the runner up gets US$2M.
The stadium fees could hurt a bit as they don't get the ticket sales to make it worth while. However, considering we don't typically do that well in the comp I doubt any club has ever really been out of pocket that much. It's more that we don't have the capacity to actually be genuinely competitive any more.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Group: Banned Members

He said the model they had put together had been embraced by the A-League club owners who, Krayem said, had acknowledged the need for promotion and relegation under FIFA statutes.

The next step is now for stakeholders to work together to set the criteria for promotion and relegation and how to make it work, say the AAFC.

“AAFC is respectful of the A-League owners' issues," said Krayem.

"But as their own chairman says, they face ‘an urgent task’ in addressing declining interest in the competition and ‘bringing excitement back’ to the A-League ahead of the negotiation of the next television deal that is due in 2023.

“What better way to do that than promotion and relegation? After all, it works well in England, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and elsewhere"

He added: “As successful businessmen, we’re sure the A-League club owners can see that it makes sense.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/new-second-division-by-2020-promotion-and-relegation-to-follow-522906

Muz
Muz
Legend

jlm8695 - 25 Mar 2019 4:54 PM
Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 4:43 PM

And what do we do with the thousands of fans who will be lost to the game if someone says nope, your team doesn't exist anymore. 

Burning everything to the ground again is only going to set us further back. We need to link the old and the new to move forward. 

There's going to be no link mate.  Not now, not ever.  There'll always be an excuse not to do it.  The FFA don't want pro rel and the owners don't want it.  

I am, or I should say I was one of those fans that loved the A-league but I'm done now..  

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

jlm8695 - 25 Mar 2019 4:59 PM

He said the model they had put together had been embraced by the A-League club owners who, Krayem said, had acknowledged the need for promotion and relegation under FIFA statutes.

The next step is now for stakeholders to work together to set the criteria for promotion and relegation and how to make it work, say the AAFC.

“AAFC is respectful of the A-League owners' issues," said Krayem.

"But as their own chairman says, they face ‘an urgent task’ in addressing declining interest in the competition and ‘bringing excitement back’ to the A-League ahead of the negotiation of the next television deal that is due in 2023.

“What better way to do that than promotion and relegation? After all, it works well in England, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and elsewhere"

He added: “As successful businessmen, we’re sure the A-League club owners can see that it makes sense.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/new-second-division-by-2020-promotion-and-relegation-to-follow-522906

Show me a quote from the current owners that says they're for it. 

Krayem who has a vested interest and is not an owner would say anything to push his barrow. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Muz
Muz
Legend

someguyjc - 25 Mar 2019 4:57 PM
Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 4:44 PM

That's not entirely accurate. Each club gets US$60k per stage (group, round of 16, quarters, etc) for travel expenses. They then get US$50K for every win and US$10K for every draw. If they make it to the round of 16 they get an addition US$100K. Then another US$150K for the quarters, and US$250K for the semis. The winner of the whole thing gets US$4M and the runner up gets US$2M.
The stadium fees could hurt a bit as they don't get the ticket sales to make it worth while. However, considering we don't typically do that well in the comp I doubt any club has ever really been out of pocket that much. It's more that we don't have the capacity to actually be genuinely competitive any more.

I've read that unless they make the quarters it costs them.  And seeing we never even get out of the group it's a big fat loss.

Member since 2008.

Waz
Waz
Legend

So now we can’t trust the AAFC ??????

BURN IT ....

BURN THE LOT TOTHE GROUND ...

ALL OF IT ..... INCLUDING SMFC

😂
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

A fully functioning and self sustaining second division with a plan for promotion to it and relegation from it ,is really the main hope forward.
If this can be achieved then the fear factor diminishes for everyone.
Furthermore it is seen as something desirable and attainable for the whole football community.
In fact it would provide the fan engagement currently lacking.
Small stadiums large stadiums become irrelevant.
Tasmania,Darwin,Ipswich,Wollongong,Sth Melb,Moreton Bay ....etc ...All allowed.Everything based on merit and an ability to balance the books.

HAL teams sitting above and looking down at a successful second division see they can survive a drop.

Lets get that second division going.

Edited
5 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 4:54 PM

Which is why it needs to collapse.

No, it doesn't need a collapse.

The current club's licences "in theory" run till 2034, however, the FFA has the power to change that. So technically they could shorten the horizon to the next 3 years and say in 3 years time we will be implementing pro/rel. Are you onboard? If not, hand back your licence and we will find a new buyer. 

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I love how reports that we are moving to a second division and pro/rel leads those who want a second division and pro/rel to lose their shit.....Australian football, gotta love it.

Beaten by Eldar

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

As I have said, we need a league between the A League and the next level

If the A League wants to be a closed shop then make it the second division and place a league above it. Whichever owners want to be part of an ambitious open tier, let them move up

Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 5:02 PM
jlm8695 - 25 Mar 2019 4:59 PM

Show me a quote from the current owners that says they're for it. 

Krayem who has a vested interest and is not an owner would say anything to push his barrow. 

It is also the shared view of the APFCA membership that a fully-expanded League model must be achieved and sustained before the introduction of promotion and relegation can be considered.

For promotion and relegation to be achieved it is imperative that a second-tier of Australian football is established and evolved in order to create appropriate football and economic proximity between the two tiers.  Only in this way can the second-tier produce promoted clubs with the capacity to compete in the A-League and at the same time receive relegated A-League Clubs without catastrophic economic impact for the relegated club.  The investment and time horizon for achieving a second-tier of this calibre should not be underestimated.  APFCA is committed to playing its part.

Sauce  Still looking for the quote I think from AAFC
during vote seeking to remove SLowy 

Clear Contact There

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Eldar - 25 Mar 2019 5:13 PM
I love how reports that we are moving to a second division and pro/rel leads those who want a second division and pro/rel to lose their shit.....Australian football, gotta love it.

Maybe in 15 years, oh great lets celebrate, or is it in 25 years, 35, 45?

I hope the league folds.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

WSF - 25 Mar 2019 5:38 PM
Eldar - 25 Mar 2019 5:13 PM

Maybe in 15 years, oh great lets celebrate, or is it in 25 years, 35, 45?

I hope the league folds.

So sounds like a second division next year and pro/rel when achievable, could be 5 or 10 years. People who think we should just bring in a second division with pro/rel next year are deluded, probably better if they do just give up on football.

Beaten by Eldar

HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

by 2034, i would hope that the countries population would exceed 30 million. and by time that happens i would hope the right infrastructure has been put in place to support it.

the higher the population the better off our clubs will be, thats what i hope anyway

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

I will definitely go to a few away games on the new high speed rail.

Beaten by Eldar

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search