Reds to join chase for 'Chinese Messi'

Reds to join chase for 'Chinese Messi'

Author
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Adelaide United are set to turn to Chinese players next season After confirming the departure of coach Marco Kurz at the end of the season, Adelaide United chairman Piet van der Pol has opened up on his long-term plans for the club.In an in-depth interview with The Advertiser, van der Pol revealed the Reds will likely sign Chinese players on loan next season as he looks to develop players from his second club Qingdao Red Lions and try to find the 'Chinese Messi'."That will be a regular feature absolutely," Piet van der Pol told The Advertiser

“I want to stimulate development and just like people like to send their children to a university in another city or another country, especially players from a completely different educational and coaching culture, will benefit really from that."For Chinese players to have a western or Australian coach for a couple of months to get a completely different approach, I think will be very beneficial.“The amount of talent there is absolutely massive, as it is here in Australia.“The holy grail in football that everybody is looking for is the Chinese Messi. Every club in the world is looking for that."Qingdao Red Lions currently compete in China's League Two with van der Pol claiming the club has already produced two players that have represented China's U17's side. “Why does Barcelona want the Chinese Messi? Because there is 1.5 billion people and commercial opportunities that will increase even the biggest clubs in the world," he said.

“Imagine if Adelaide United has a Chinese player here and 30 million people watching the game compared to several tens of thousands on Fox here."

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/reds-to-join-chase-for-chinese-messi/1jhnmwdp3z3231dh21yi9r9ahl

ARNIE= LEGEND

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
lol
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

But has he scored a brace against Manchester United like the Maltese Messi
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Surely he cannot be thinking third division Chinese players are good enough for the A-league.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Test_Fan - 26 Mar 2019 11:25 AM
Surely he cannot be thinking third division Chinese players are good enough for the A-league.

No, he's just using AU as a conduit to develop Chinese players from the parent club. 

You see this is one of the things that happens with no pro/rel. There are no implications for putting a shit team together in the A-league. 

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“You see this is one of the things that happens with no pro/rel. There are no implications for putting a shit team together in the A-league”

Correct.

Equally as important as there being no negative implications, there’s also no positive implications - put prize money for finishing higher up the table and watch behaviour change.

Put relegation in, and watch behaviour change.

Put transfer fees in and watch behaviour change.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Waz - 26 Mar 2019 11:38 AM
“You see this is one of the things that happens with no pro/rel. There are no implications for putting a shit team together in the A-league” Correct. Equally as important as there being no negative implications, there’s also no positive implications - put prize money for finishing higher up the table and watch behaviour change. Put relegation in, and watch behaviour change. Put transfer fees in and watch behaviour change.

I've said elsewhere that the only way finishing higher up the table will be an incentive is if the AFC increases the participation prizemoney for the ACL. 

The FFA or any future governing body does not have the cash to do this based on the current broadcasting revenue. 

Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

If they bring in a bunch of Chinese youngsters as our VISA players and condemn us to finishing near the bottom then I will not go to a game, and I imagine the crowds this season will look massive compared to next season. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ soccerroo_06

I think there’ll be prize money soon. The FFA keep all the money from finals at the moment, that’s about to change. I can see $1m in prize money coming up soon.
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

They really need to stop this "Messi" shit, how many times have we heard it.

Kiwi "Messi"
Maltese "Messi"

Just cut the shit already, there is only one Messi.
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Test_Fan - 26 Mar 2019 11:25 AM

The Roar took a gamble on an Indian League bench warmer who was once dubbed "Next Viduka" lol
Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Going from the "People's Club" to the "People's Liberation Army Club." 

FFS I don't really have an issue with having a punt on a promising young VISA player but this, as others have already pointed out, could make us nothing more than a training ground for van der Pol's Chinese club.

We already develop decent young players, and always have. The next Chinese Messi isn't going to help out the Australian NT but the next Leckie might, and that's what we want to see (let's face it, Adelaide aren't getting a Honda/Del Piero/Ono any time soon). How disconnected from the fans can these owners be?
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

As explicitly stated earlier the A-League being disconnected from the rest of the football pyramid is all the justification for this sort of rubbish to occur. Actions without out consequence as long as you're happy to lose money.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Summerteeth
Summerteeth
Rising Star
Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)

Latest results from the Chinese National Team:

0:1 loss to Thailand - China Cup

0:1 loss to Uzbekistan - China Cup

I rest my case.
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Might explain why the club is parting ways with a manager and director of football that have ambitions of winning.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Lol imagine being a farming club of a third-tier Chinese team. I'd be embarrassed to support Adelaide.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

433 - 26 Mar 2019 3:36 PM
Lol imagine being a farming club of a third-tier Chinese team. I'd be embarrassed to support Adelaide.

It's why so many are turning away from the A-League here. Memberships are trending down, attendances have stagnated, results aren't able to attract theatregoers. Support your local clubs with attendance and your time via volunteering, that's the way to get satisfaction from the sport.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
van der Pol revealed the Reds will likely sign Chinese players on loan next season as he looks to develop players from his second club Qingdao Red Lions and try to find the 'Chinese Messi'."That will be a regular feature absolutely," Piet van der Pol told The Advertiser.

So is he going to reciprocate with Aussie players to China of does this make Adelaide his train on squad for other clubs he owns? 
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

StiflersMom - 26 Mar 2019 4:03 PM
van der Pol revealed the Reds will likely sign Chinese players on loan next season as he looks to develop players from his second club Qingdao Red Lions and try to find the 'Chinese Messi'."That will be a regular feature absolutely," Piet van der Pol told The Advertiser.

So is he going to reciprocate with Aussie players to China of does this make Adelaide his train on squad for other clubs he owns? 

Doubt it will be reciprocal, it will be primarily for the benefit of the Chinese team. They seem to be trying to be CFG-Lite.

Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

General Ashnak - 26 Mar 2019 3:43 PM
433 - 26 Mar 2019 3:36 PM

It's why so many are turning away from the A-League here. Memberships are trending down, attendances have stagnated, results aren't able to attract theatregoers. Support your local clubs with attendance and your time via volunteering, that's the way to get satisfaction from the sport.

Sadly this. I honestly think I was a more passionate and loyal supporter the season we won the wooden spoon, Jim's Plumbing shirts and all. Still felt like it was 'my' club. 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

WSF - 26 Mar 2019 1:20 PM
They really need to stop this "Messi" shit, how many times have we heard it.

Kiwi "Messi"
Maltese "Messi"

Just cut the shit already, there is only one Messi.

This.

Can't wait till we sign the Portugese Messi and the Argentine C. Ronaldo :)

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Test_Fan - 26 Mar 2019 12:20 PM
If they bring in a bunch of Chinese youngsters as our VISA players and condemn us to finishing near the bottom then I will not go to a game, and I imagine the crowds this season will look massive compared to next season. 

This.
Sacking one of the best overseas coaches because he wants a team to battle and be the best, to this pathetic overseas training squad will keep spectators away in droves. His expectation of finding a local Chinese lad from 2nd division is ludicrous. Let's hope that he's just joshing, I want to see who Kurz is replaced by, so I can laugh derisively at yet another Dutchman who has set out to ruin this club! 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Burztur - 26 Mar 2019 7:30 PM

WSF - 26 Mar 2019 1:20 PM

This.

Can't wait till we sign the Portugese Messi and the Argentine C. Ronaldo :)

:laugh:

BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro

I remember the huge success Brisbane had when we signed the "Chinese Beckham". 🤣😧☹

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I get the idea of bringing in 1 but anymore than that and questions need to be asked. Ditto if he plays when he's clearly not up to the task. 
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

Something stinks about this situation. 
What is in it for the owners, Piet etc, to bring low quality Chinese players to Adelaide United thereby ruining Adelaide United's chances of success and costing them a lot of money?
Is there some other financial incentive to develop Chinese players?
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Test_Fan - 27 Mar 2019 11:10 PM
Something stinks about this situation. 
What is in it for the owners, Piet etc, to bring low quality Chinese players to Adelaide United thereby ruining Adelaide United's chances of success and costing them a lot of money?
Is there some other financial incentive to develop Chinese players?

It wouldn't surprise me if he's getting kickbacks (either from parents or even the Chinese Govt at some level) for the 'Western Football Experience' - similar to how private academies gouge parents here.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

walnuts - 28 Mar 2019 8:31 AM
Test_Fan - 27 Mar 2019 11:10 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if he's getting kickbacks (either from parents or even the Chinese Govt at some level) for the 'Western Football Experience' - similar to how private academies gouge parents here.

I think the Euro Asia Football Consultancy, which Piet van der Pol is CEO, is being paid to develop Chinese players by the Chinese government through Ocean University and somehow it makes it worthwhile to run Adelaide United as a part of that development even if it means the club runs at a loss.
I am also wondering whether the other owners of Adelaide United might be somehow linked with the Chinese government.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Who approves this shit?

simione001
simione001
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

chinese messi would complement the australian ronaldo in craig goodwin.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search