700 Death Threats: The unbelievable journey of new Adelaide boss Gertjan Verbeek [Comments]

700 Death Threats: The unbelievable journey of new Adelaide boss...

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
700 Death Threats: The unbelievable journey of new Adelaide boss Gertjan Verbeek

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/700-death-threats-the-unbelievable-journey-of-new-adelaide-boss-gertjan-verbeek-525612

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

“Likewise, if Adelaide's roster (who had hinted before their remarkable season-finish that they didn't enjoy Kurz's hardline regime) are hopeful of a less arduous philosophy, they're in for a nasty surprise.”

Who and when? I don’t remember any player hinting at that.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

After reading that, I’m not as optimistic as I was.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

This guy is smart but he's a short fuse. He banned a newspaper in Bochum and I guess rightly so. Nevertheless he seems to tick off the press and it gives them a lot to write about. 
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

sub007 - 24 May 2019 12:53 AM
“Likewise, if Adelaide's roster (who had hinted before their remarkable season-finish that they didn't enjoy Kurz's hardline regime) are hopeful of a less arduous philosophy, they're in for a nasty surprise.”

Who and when? I don’t remember any player hinting at that.

Regan seemed to hint something was wrong after he left, apart from that I cannot remember anything. The players seemed to be playing for Kurz in a massive way.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

sub007 - 24 May 2019 1:01 AM
After reading that, I’m not as optimistic as I was.

It could go very well but there seems to be a big risk it will go very wrong very quickly. That he has had success at a number of clubs despite his own quirks indicates he really does understand football and coaching. The Adelaide squad does seem capable of buying into a vision and way of doing things, they bought into Gombau, they bought into Amor, they bought into Kurz, hopefully we will see the same with Verbeek. Having an excellent captain like Isaias will probably help matters.
JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Terrific in-depth article, great job Lucas Radbourne!

jeggohouse
jeggohouse
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

"When he was blanked by the entire squad at one training session, he polled the players' support for him and received a 100% vote of no confidence."

Wow. 
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Test_Fan - 24 May 2019 6:07 AM

It could go very well but there seems to be a big risk it will go very wrong very quickly. That he has had success at a number of clubs despite his own quirks indicates he really does understand football and coaching. The Adelaide squad does seem capable of buying into a vision and way of doing things, they bought into Gombau, they bought into Amor, they bought into Kurz, hopefully we will see the same with Verbeek. Having an excellent captain like Isaias will probably help matters.

Isaias said to be leaving, unfortunately.

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

johnszasz - 24 May 2019 2:49 AM
This guy is smart but he's a short fuse. He banned a newspaper in Bochum and I guess rightly so. Nevertheless he seems to tick off the press and it gives them a lot to write about. 

He should like it here then unless he unfathomably knows some crap about ARF.
Galekovic is our new keeper coach. Izzo under him again - should be fun. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by redcup
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Sounds like the refs won't like him any more than they liked Kurtz either.

Australians tend to not like "characters" even though people claim to.
Passion, flair and personality are no nos round 'ere.

Should be an interesting ride

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davide82
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

This will be interesting to watch when this guy feels some pressure from Val .....

If pisses Val off, expect the tiser to come out swinging against AUFC
sub007
sub007
World Class

Test_Fan - 24 May 2019 6:07 AM

Argee but Verbeek's 'my way or the highway approach' does concern me and if the players don't buy in (I think it's likely they will) then we'll be up shit creek.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
sub007
sub007
World Class

Test_Fan - 24 May 2019 6:02 AM
sub007 - 24 May 2019 12:53 AM

Regan seemed to hint something was wrong after he left, apart from that I cannot remember anything. The players seemed to be playing for Kurz in a massive way.

From memory, he left because Kurz wouldn't play him even though Elsey was in poor form at the time. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search