*Official* Football Manager Thread

*Official* Football Manager Thread

Author
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
did that, but they never replied me and then the time was running out in the transfer window and he got snapped up by udinese.

One week is sufficient a deadline for them to not kick up a stink and you to still get a cognitive answer.
Quote:
Looks like ill have to wait till he moves before i want him. As it is i got around 53mill to spend. Recently got appointed Aussie coach, after 6 mnths with United. Think thats not bad.

Aussies will take just about anybody for the job i'm afraid. 53mil pound? easy done. Silva and Kaka/Van Der Vaart (you think i'm crazy with that last one, but i'm not. Guest will tell you) and you're set.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
HailtheCelts wrote:
FIFA international teams are awful, they never pick the best team.
Take Sweden for example, they don't have Zlatan [size=9]OR[/size] Henrik.
Also Scotland, their best player, Scott Brown (who plays for Celtic), isn't even in the reserves.

And PES go one better in the internationals with more teams. PES also has better graphics, better kits and better smoothness in play. Go PES

And is FM supposed to be Football Manager?

You can change a national team squad and pick any aussie in the game, they give you about 8 pages to pick from, im not sure if its in 08, i cant remember.

They have more teams but they arent licensed or anything, fifa could put these in but they dont want to deface their brand.

Graphics are pretty even.

Kits, how can you think pes has better kits? Have a look at Liverpool's kit, thats just _____.

Gameplay, considering when you shoot you dont even have to aim, it just hits the target anywhere in your own half that is. Unlike fifa you arent able to measure crosses and through balls yourself. Can you put in a lofted through ball in PES? :-k
blacka
blacka
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

are the criticisms of FIFA 08 based on the ps2 or ps3 editions? Coz they are completely different game engines.
I used to be PES thru and thru, but have converted to the dark side this year. Fifa is finally a great game and worthy of the full licenses. The assists setup and custom formations are a big improvement, and the overall feel is much closer to the earlier Pro Evo's i used to play.
charonis
charonis
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

I agree that the PS3 version of FIFA08 is a lot better than the PS2 version in quite a few areas.

It still feels like you have to work a lot harder for things to happen though, and for me personally, it's just plain not as fun and as flowing as PES on the PS2 is.
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
Gameplay, considering when you shoot you dont even have to aim, it just hits the target anywhere in your own half that is. Unlike fifa you arent able to measure crosses and through balls yourself. Can you put in a lofted through ball in PES? :-k

yes you can do lofted through balls in PES. You just don't have to do it ALL the damn time to get past the defence since the through balls on the ground are way more accurate and effective whereas in FIFA they are really, really bad.

PES also has manual passes. They always have.

blacka, I'm basing my comments on FIFA08 on PS2 and PSP, and PES5 and 6 on the PS2. (did play a game or two of PES08 on the PSP and instantly enjoyed it over FIFA08)

Let me put it this way. I've been playing FIFA since it was a 2D game on PC and Mega Drive. FIFA-RTWC98 was awesome. Then a few years later some friends of mine started praising PES. I asked why. "the gameplay is so much better". That didn't really make sense to me. I played a game (on the Xbox) and saw no difference. Maybe it was the Xbox and its controller I didn't like.
Anyway a couple years later I played PES4 on PC at a friends house. I scored and my player celebrated, I cheered....then the damn linesman was shown with his flag up!!! WTF!!! :lol:
Best. Thing. Ever!
I've never experienced that in a game before. Bastards let you score even though you were offside! What an awesome touch of realism.
We played all afternoon.

A couple months later I bought PES5 and haven't looked back since.

Sure it gets frustrating at times. Sure you spend a lot of time editing names and stuff. Sure the fabled God mode pisses you off to no end; players skying the ball from right in front. But the crackers you can score makes it worth it. The fact that the harder you put the difficulty, the more open space can be found because they attack more and leave gaps in their defence. Sure the refs annoy you by fouling you all the time yet the CPU gets away with murder.

But then playing PES5&6 for a couple years and then going back to FIFA08(because I wanted a football game for my new PSP, PES08 wasn't out yet, it had the A-League), I found out pretty quickly why I haven't played a FIFA game for so long.

I dunno. I find PES so much more fun when you play a human opponent. The fact that you always have to alter your starting lineup because your star player is down on form (all the time! haha) adds to it, and the mini managers within us all.

Also I like how each player has a main position, but he can play in these other positions aswell. It makes more sense rather than being locked in one position only.

And c'mon, any game that allows your team to dress up in Penguin outfits or ride a Dinosaur is all win!:p
blacka
blacka
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

yeah i have the same feelings on fifa ps2. I bought it for 07 and tried real hard to enjoy it. Just didn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling when u score on PES.

But now i get that same buzz from just creating a chance on fifa ps3. I've set most of my assists to manual, except shooting which is too hard from the side view so i stick with semi. Its quite hard to master, i used to cruise through on legendary on ps2 and now find Pro real challenging on ps3.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

fifa 08 ps2 is a million times harder than fifa 07, in fifa 07 to score all you had to do was get to the centre circle hold l2 and press shoot, it was to easy. fifa 08 is challenging though, when you play it on world class.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

yet you can still control the players. Where's the challenge in playing god?

FM ftw.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

people putting in ideas for fifa 09, someguy spent about 3 hours suggeting about 80 things have a look.

http://www.fifplay.com/ideas_fifa09
k
k
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

i love PES, but this year's one is absolute rubbish

i've recently started playing FM08 again after a hiatus induced by the ridiculous injury issues that have now been fixed with patches. at the very least i can say i'm better than sam allardyce, as i guided newcastle to 9th place in the prem in the first season. it may have taken the signatures of joleon lescott and tim cahill, but i got us there. now almost at the end of season 2 and we're in 13th.

also, does anybody here play new star soccer?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
people putting in ideas for fifa 09, someguy spent about 3 hours suggeting about 80 things have a look.

That's a lot of things wrong with FIFA.
Quote:
i've recently started playing FM08 again after a hiatus induced by the ridiculous injury issues that have now been fixed with patches. at the very least i can say i'm better than sam allardyce, as i guided newcastle to 9th place in the prem in the first season. it may have taken the signatures of joleon lescott and tim cahill, but i got us there. now almost at the end of season 2 and we're in 13th.

Sign 'Lulinha', he'll take you up the table quickly. The problem with the patch is in penalty shoot-outs, the keeper just stands there...and Real Madrid are way too aggressive in the transfer market. 60mil here, 40mil there...another 40mil, all in the one window.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Not wrong, just unrealistic improvements like telling your subs to warm up and seeing them go thru there paces while your playing.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Not wrong, just unrealistic improvements like telling your subs to warm up and seeing them go thru there paces while your playing.

Which is Kinda hard to do when you're busy controlling the game, not to mention pointless. And why would you want to see them warming up on the sideline when you're busy watching the match?
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Playing the match, not watching, little dickhead popping his head in the way evry couple of seconds.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Playing the match, not watching, little dickhead popping his head in the way evry couple of seconds.

no, you're watching the match so you can control it;):P Exactly, stupid idea.
k
k
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

afromanGT wrote:

Sign 'Lulinha', he'll take you up the table quickly. The problem with the patch is in penalty shoot-outs, the keeper just stands there...and Real Madrid are way too aggressive in the transfer market. 60mil here, 40mil there...another 40mil, all in the one window.

thanks for the tip

on the note of the patches though, i'd rather lose most shoot-outs than have 3/4 of my team out with injuries for 8/9ths of the season :lol:
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
on the note of the patches though, i'd rather lose most shoot-outs than have 3/4 of my team out with injuries for 8/9ths of the season

That's what depth of squad is for...if you have enough players, injuries arent' an issue...and I normally only ever have one or two longterm injuries a season at my entire club anyway.
k
k
Amateur

well i got fired by newcastle after 'only' getting them to 14th spot in the second season (maybe i told the board we'd be looking at european placings :oops: ), then battled through a mountain of offers to manage clubs in the welsh prem until i finally got an offer from a real club. chester city! :lol:
k
k
Amateur

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:
on the note of the patches though, i'd rather lose most shoot-outs than have 3/4 of my team out with injuries for 8/9ths of the season

That's what depth of squad is for...if you have enough players, injuries arent' an issue...and I normally only ever have one or two longterm injuries a season at my entire club anyway.

unfortunately depth of squad is a somewhat hard-to-reach luxury when managing low league teams
k
k
Amateur

just to note also, according to my FM08 game, in 2010-11, david beckham will be playing for leyton orient in league 2 :lol:
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
well i got fired by newcastle after 'only' getting them to 14th spot in the second season

Shoulda signed Van Der Vaart ](*,)
Quote:
unfortunately depth of squad is a somewhat hard-to-reach luxury when managing low league teams

That's the great thing about being able to move transfer budget around to wages...you can make a lot of FreeTransfers...and you can loan out players from parent clubs.
Quote:
just to note also, according to my FM08 game, in 2010-11, david beckham will be playing for leyton orient in league 2

lol...according to mine in FM07 he's at adelaide galaxy...in FM08 he's retired by that stage...didn't get a game in three years.
Dave1989
Dave1989
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

got this game out the other day. it's only sony 1 but the gameplay is still really good to play. for me, this is when i realised that there was a game that would challenge fifa. after pes 6 on pc it didn't look like fifa had any chance of equalling it but pes 2008 didn't do itself any favours. can't wait for pes 09 and fifa 09..

Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Microprose Soccer

accept no substitutes.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/html/microprose_soccer.html
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=86321
http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D1671

[youtube]LRQtL-bJaII[/youtube]

mk0825
mk0825
Legend

theres another retro soccer game on sega megadrive, it comes on a cartridge with 5 other games, best game, PERIOD.
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
theres another retro soccer game on sega megadrive, it comes on a cartridge with 5 other games, best game, PERIOD.
Yeah that was the game that came to my mind.. Italia '90. And you can even pass in it too :D
Erebus
Erebus
Legend

Italia 90 was on Master System, Mega Drive, Amiga 500 and even C64. But even saying that

Microprose Soccer >>>>>>>>> all.

(pity my phone doesn't have diagonal directions, (damn 4 way joysticks!) otherwise I'd be playing it all the time).
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

What about the slide tackles is that sega game, lol.

I got fifa 08 on my phone, you get some crackers on that.
k
k
Amateur

i used to love microprose soccer and sensible soccer. i think that's why i love playing new star soccer so much. :)
HailtheCelts
HailtheCelts
Rising Star
Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)Rising Star (824 reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
HailtheCelts wrote:
FIFA international teams are awful, they never pick the best team.
Take Sweden for example, they don't have Zlatan [size=9]OR[/size] Henrik.
Also Scotland, their best player, Scott Brown (who plays for Celtic), isn't even in the reserves.

And PES go one better in the internationals with more teams. PES also has better graphics, better kits and better smoothness in play. Go PES

And is FM supposed to be Football Manager?

You can change a national team squad and pick any aussie in the game, they give you about 8 pages to pick from, im not sure if its in 08, i cant remember.

They have more teams but they arent licensed or anything, fifa could put these in but they dont want to deface their brand.

Graphics are pretty even.

Kits, how can you think pes has better kits? Have a look at Liverpool's kit, thats just _____.

I know you can change the squads but I'm to damn lazy.

Meh.

The graphics are not even. Well they are, but some players look like Sumo wrestlers. And if you aren't a name on FIFA then FIFA just gives the player a default face.

I was talking about international kits. And club kits. With the clubs nations that PES has bothered to go and get sponsers for the kits look so much better. eg. Portugal, Australia, Celtic, La Liga teams and Ligue Un teams.

I think Erebus or Afro have answered this but you can lofted through ball in PES. It is great if you have a really quick striker like Zlatan who can collect it and leave the poor defender behind.

And with PES it is much easier to play free flowing football. Especially with teams that play a 4-3-3 formation like Greece. But that could just be me.
blacka
blacka
Pro

Turn your assists down to semi or manual on FIFA 08 and it plays beautifully. Much like Pro Evo 4 or 5 when i used to play it.
Had a great Ajax manager mode going, since moved on to Dortmund in Bundesliga and am trying to turn them into an open 4-3-3 team. Needing more on the recruitment side. :p Picked up one good left winger (Ben Arta) but the budget is a little stretched.
Team play is great on ps3 online too if u find a good couple of people to play with. Hit and miss though...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search