The Doctor's Bar (Beer, Bar's & Beverages Thread)

The Doctor's Bar (Beer, Bar's & Beverages Thread)

Author
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I can't stand any beer. I'd prefer to not drink.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bonkers wrote:
Carlton is fucking terrible. Its as if they took the worst 10% tasting particles in horse piss, took the top 10% out of this 10%, anally re-absorbed this doubly-purified horse piss back into a horse before getting the horse to piss through a filter/siphon made from tightly packed gorilla pubes into the cans which we drink it from. O_o

Beer is so much cheaper thats why ive got to get on it.

Cascades are just as bad imo. Ive heard Pure Blondes are decent?
I still havent had to actually pay for alcohol yet though, people have supplied me thus far but I cant rely on that to keep happening, my best mate is 18 though and so many more are turning 18 these days.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

That's melbourne bitter you're talking about, Bonkers. Carlton's very drinkable.

Pure Blonde is tops for what you pay and one of the better beers on the market, Fredsta. That low carb stuff is a complete load of bullshit though.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
That's melbourne bitter you're talking about, Bonkers. Carlton's very drinkable.

Pure Blonde is tops for what you pay and one of the better beers on the market, Fredsta. That low carb stuff is a complete load of bullshit though.

my drink of choice with the australian beers, i don't know whats the go with the low carb bs frankly
Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
afromanGT wrote:

It was in a Carlton Draught can...

Pure Blonde slab looks like a go-er.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
my drink of choice with the australian beers, i don't know whats the go with the low carb bs frankly

The variation in 'low carb' beer is not enough to substantiate it being 'better for you'. I've seen studies that in fact suggest that 'low carb' beer exacerbates your hangover. But generally I don't get hungover so it doesn't matter.
Quote:
It was in a Carlton Draught can...

Yeah...there's your problem.

I reckon every time someone has something particularly bad to say about beer their first experience with it has been a 'worst case scenario' kind of thing. Carlton from a can or the first time they try beer it's VB. Try it off tap sometime and I think you'll find it a lot better.
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Ok, I have a few beers in the fridge..what to try?

- XXXX Gold, had this the other night and last night...i enjoy it although everyone tells me its shit.

- Grolsch Premium Lager

- Tiger (some asian beer)

- Platinum Blonde

- Bluetongue

What of those would anyone recommend?
HMTerraAus
HMTerraAus
Hacker
Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)

Only the Grolsch is really worthwhile. Tiger is only good when its free with a Singapore Airlines flight from Melbourne to Frankfurt. I tried to do a Booney.

Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Whats a good cut-price scotch whiskey? Ballantines any good?
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Grants
HMTerraAus
HMTerraAus
Hacker
Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)

There's a serious lack of German beer on the market here. I'm hanging for a good dark beer or doppelbock at the moment!

bypopulardemand wrote:
Wheat beer is so much better than lager...
Anyone drink Hoegaarden, Fransiskaner, Paulaner, Shoefferhoffer etc... ?? German and Belgian beers are awesome

I disagree. There's good lagers and good wheat beers. Hoegarden doesn't rank...sweet water.

Of those big brand wheat beers I'd rank: Franziskaner over Paulaner, then Schofferhofer... which isn't great but not bad.

It's good that you can get various Paulaner's beers here at the moment. Unfortunately they don't have this beast.

Shaker wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
Shaker wrote:
Hmmm, before GCU games the drinks of choice were either a pint a super dry, or an Inner Circle and coke. IC + Coke at Skilled Park is dreamy. Oh i also got a reputation with a couple of other boys for, only on big occasions (which was most games) of sharing a bottle of jagermeister straight. That was the shit, i love Jager.

Ever since the end of the season though its been a german beer called Oettinger Pils, fucking beautiful stuff. It comes in a 6pack and they are all pint cans, i get it at Dan Murphys for $13 a 6 pack, or $31 for a carton (24 Bottles).

Edited by shaker: 23/3/2010 10:18:31 PM

fuck that's cheap (or maybe that's just sydney prices being too high) how hard do you have to look to find it or is it pretty widely distributed

Ive seen it at both Dan Murphys and BWS so im guessing its pretty widely available.

That's a discount beer even in Germany. It's not horrible, its just not very good but of course I'd drink it if I had to. We got 24 bottles for 8 euro not including the tax that gets refunded when you bring the bottles back.

Edited by hmterraaus: 8/4/2010 04:51:15 PM

Edited by hmterraaus: 8/4/2010 04:53:04 PM

Edited by hmterraaus: 8/4/2010 04:56:53 PM

HMTerraAus
HMTerraAus
Hacker

I recommend that everyone try this and report back to me.

I was surprised to see this decent drop that I had in Bamberg, at McCoppins here in Melbourne.

imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Joffa wrote:
Grants

I've heard Mcallister is ok, and I think its pretty cheap. JW Red isnt too much either is it? 30 bucks a bottle if you can find it on sale?
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

imnofreak wrote:
Joffa wrote:
Grants

I've heard Mcallister is ok, and I think its pretty cheap. JW Red isnt too much either is it? 30 bucks a bottle if you can find it on sale?

Yeah McAllister is not bad at all for a sub $30 Scotch...I don't mind JW Red at all but I prefer Grants in that price range.
HMTerraAus
HMTerraAus
Hacker

Joffa wrote:
imnofreak wrote:
Joffa wrote:
Grants

Yeah McAllister is not bad at all for a sub $30 Scotch...I don't mind JW Red at all but I prefer Grants in that price range.

Yeah agreed, if you're buying a scotch for that price Grants is probably your best option if you don't want to feel like shit the next day after drinking the whole bottle. There are some nasty Scotch's around the $25 mark.

avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I've drank the Grolsch, a LOT better than XXXX Gold...I need to hit up the spirits soon i guess.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

FARKEN BUMP

I've changed over to the dark side recently, much thicker and more enjoyable than other beers imo, plus saves me cash cause for the time i'll drink an old or any other dark beer i'd drink two in that time of normal or pale ale's

dale1878
dale1878
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

The Doctor wrote:
I've changed over to the dark side recently, much thicker and more enjoyable than other beers imo, plus saves me cash cause for the time i'll drink an old or any other dark beer i'd drink two in that time of normal or pale ale's

Drink Guinness.
Forget dinner.

I had a case of James Boag's Pure on the weekend. Very easy drinking, a bit hoppy but not to the level of a Plzener, and doesn't give you a headache in the morning: win-win.
Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro

strong one year bump
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Got this a few months ago. Would recommend.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Drinking JD and Lemonade atm. Odd, but a really nice taste.

Spotted this: http://www.lastdropdistillers.com/Our-Products/Whisky.aspx in the bottle-o yesterday, priced at $1875. you'd want it to be a decent drop at that price.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Funky Munky wrote:
Drinking JD and Lemonade atm. Odd, but a really nice taste.

Spotted this: http://www.lastdropdistillers.com/Our-Products/Whisky.aspx in the bottle-o yesterday, priced at $1875. you'd want it to be a decent drop at that price.

+1. Just got into it, really awesome.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I'm drinking Ribena. One helluva beverage

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

dale1878
dale1878
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

imnofreak wrote:

How much, imno?
thewestisland
thewestisland
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

All you'll ever need:

Having said that, I bought Ursus Roter (icelandic Red Vodka, apparently) for shits and gigs during O-Week and it is surprisingly nice with lemonade.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

marconi101 wrote:
I'm drinking Ribena. One helluva beverage

does anybody know like the key differences between dark beers and something like a Lager or Pilsener, like besides colour and taste, i'd like to know what i'm actually drinking and the distinct differences
dale1878
dale1878
Pro

The Doctor wrote:
does anybody know like the key differences between dark beers and something like a Lager or Pilsener, like besides colour and taste, i'd like to know what i'm actually drinking and the distinct differences

Read.

EDIT: Also, you shouldn't be drinking that Old below about 12 degrees.

Edited by dale1878: 11/4/2011 10:27:58 PM
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

dale1878 wrote:
imnofreak wrote:

How much, imno?

Think it was around 80. There's a cheaper one too, not 12 years though.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

dale1878 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Read.

EDIT: Also, you shouldn't be drinking that Old below about 12 degrees.

Edited by dale1878: 11/4/2011 10:27:58 PM

cheers for that... this game me a good idea of what i'm drinking aswell http://www.tooheysnew.com.au/product.php?p=old
dale1878
dale1878
Pro

The Doctor wrote:
cheers for that... this game me a good idea of what i'm drinking aswell http://www.tooheysnew.com.au/product.php?p=old

Next time you go to Dan Murphy's, grab a copy of their beer guide, it's informative reading.
Their website has a digital version too.
If you like Old, try Squires IPA or Coopers Dark Ale. Nom.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search