The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This is the replacement thread. There's too much good discussion to be had, especially now.

If the old one gets fixed this one can just fade away. I've pasted what TheSelectFew wrote 2 years ago.

In this thread will be:
°General Socceroos/Matildas banter
°Pub information, live sites etc
°Upcoming match information and rumours
°Injuries and other important topics
°Young Socceroos/Olyroos/Joeys talk
°Young Matildas/Mini Matildas
Any suggestions please PM me or onse of the mods. information can and will be added to the op. 
MON STRAYA!!!!

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Thanks for doing it, Johnszasz.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Aboubakar is in awesome form for Besiktas and we'll be facing him against Cameroon. 

Germany have already hinted at taking a development squad. I think Kroos, Müller, Boateng and Hummels will definitely not go. Neuer could very well stay home with Germany allowing ter Stegen and Trapp among others to play. Hopefully guys like Stindl, Weiser, Plattenhardt will go. Expect to face someone like Ginter, Schürlle and Kimmich.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Just read that Amini interview...so he came home over the winter break and had to train at his old high school to keep fit.. No one in the socceroos or olyroos wanted to help keep him fit? Just think it's a poor look even Ccm could have helped? 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

johnszasz - 17 Mar 2017 5:18 AM
Aboubakar is in awesome form for Besiktas and we'll be facing him against Cameroon. 

Germany have already hinted at taking a development squad. I think Kroos, Müller, Boateng and Hummels will definitely not go. Neuer could very well stay home with Germany allowing ter Stegen and Trapp among others to play. Hopefully guys like Stindl, Weiser, Plattenhardt will go. Expect to face someone like Ginter, Schürlle and Kimmich.

they have so much depth it's obscene.  they could probably send a d squad who would get selected over our entire squad if they were australian.

it will actually be really exciting to see who they send and how that group goes. lets hope chile do the same.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

inala brah - 17 Mar 2017 7:24 AM
johnszasz - 17 Mar 2017 5:18 AM

they have so much depth it's obscene.  they could probably send a d squad who would get selected over our entire squad if they were australian.

it will actually be really exciting to see who they send and how that group goes. lets hope chile do the same.

Their U21 team has full bundesliga starters at a rate that'd send Aussies Abroad into meltdown if we matched it. The young ones will need brand new shoes from Kmart catalogue

I actually think Chile might get a bit of burnout. WC, Copa and now Confed. Next summer at the latest, their players, who all play massive campaigns in multiple comps, might start to feel it.
Edited
8 Months Ago by paladisious
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

jas88 - 17 Mar 2017 7:15 AM
Just read that Amini interview...so he came home over the winter break and had to train at his old high school to keep fit.. No one in the socceroos or olyroos wanted to help keep him fit? Just think it's a poor look even Ccm could have helped? 

Crazy if he was ignored. At the same time maybe he wanted some alone time?

Many winter break players came home over Christmas and I was wondering whether Ange might touch base with some of them.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Do we have a confed cup thread? If not I'll start one by Sunday. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

http://ultra.zone/2018-FIFA-World-Cup-qualification-AFC-Third-Round#group=b

Good to see the overall situation. 
Harriet Robinson
Harriet Robinson
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for AU :)

Infuse your life with action. Dont wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope. Make your own love. And whatever your beliefs, honor your creator, not by passively waiting for grace to come down from upon high, but by doing what you can to make grace happen... yourself, right now, right down here on Earth. Bradley Whitford

Edited
7 Years Ago by Harriet Robinson
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

johnszasz - 17 Mar 2017 11:05 PM

thanks for posting that.  if every team wins their home games we end up 2 points clear in first.  not bad.  if we win our home games and pick up point away, eg in tehran, we are looking good.

we can afford to have one team eg. japan clean up in this scenario.  but if uae or the saudi's start winning everything as well we are fucked.

Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Burns has been called in to replace Jeggo,  at least that balances things a bit better from the initial 23
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

inala brah - 18 Mar 2017 9:33 AM

thanks for posting that.  if every team wins their home games we end up 2 points clear in first.  not bad.  if we win our home games and pick up point away, eg in tehran, we are looking good.

we can afford to have one team eg. japan clean up in this scenario.  but if uae or the saudi's start winning everything as well we are fucked.

If we get 12 points from the last 5 games we are pretty much through, 10 should be enough but 9 or less and we could be in trouble.

While 6 points in March would be the obvious aim we should be on track as long as we are in the top 3 (rather than 4th at present) and within a point or 2 of 2nd in a week and a halfs time.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

I've watched highlights of all games. Saudi had so much luck in the first 2 games with dodgy penalties. 

Thailand really hassled the Middle Eastern teams away so I hope they'll be firing at home. 

Will Saudi and UAE also suffer from the Thai heat? 

The game is Japan is something I never expect to do well in but we have had 2 draws there in qualifying and seem to be really focused. 
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I was thinking about some untested lineups that I'd like to see us try later this year in friendlies and the Confederations Cup and I'm guessing this is the best place for these, so I'll post them here. I'm not sure if I can post the images directly here so I'll post the links to Imgur.

A 5-4-1 Diamond Formation, using three centrebacks and two wingbacks, giving us the option to switch between five at the back and three at the back depending on the game. Having Luongo and Mooy play in the roles they've been used at a club level (with the option to move forward when given the opportunity), with Irvine playing in an advanced role and Juric as the centre-forward.

A 4-2-3-1 Formation that I'd like to see tested in a friendly, testing out Irvine as a centreforward (since he's been a better goalscorer at club level than anyone else in the national team setup), Mooy partnering Jedinak in a deeper role, Goodwin and Mabil tearing it up on the wings, and Behich and Grant as wingbacks, while also testing out Elder and Jones (if he finally chooses Australia) since I'm not sure how well Behich and Grant's club forms will translate to the national team. A lineup like this would be nice to see during a friendly against European opposition.

Finally, a ballsy experimental lineup with Jedi as a centreback, the Championship trio (Irvine, Luongo, Mooy) in midfield, and Juric and Rogic up top as strikers, with Rogic playing in more of a free-roaming role and sometimes as a false-nine depending on what the game demands, while Goodwin and Leckie can play as versatile wingers and drop back in defence if needed. Obviously this sort of team would be tested in a friendly when there isn't much else on the agenda...so probably not in the near future.

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Holding Bidfielder - 18 Mar 2017 11:43 PM
I was thinking about some untested lineups that I'd like to see us try later this year in friendlies and the Confederations Cup and I'm guessing this is the best place for these, so I'll post them here. I'm not sure if I can post the images directly here so I'll post the links to Imgur.

A 5-4-1 Diamond Formation, using three centrebacks and two wingbacks, giving us the option to switch between five at the back and three at the back depending on the game. Having Luongo and Mooy play in the roles they've been used at a club level (with the option to move forward when given the opportunity), with Irvine playing in an advanced role and Juric as the centre-forward.

A 4-2-3-1 Formation that I'd like to see tested in a friendly, testing out Irvine as a centreforward (since he's been a better goalscorer at club level than anyone else in the national team setup), Mooy partnering Jedinak in a deeper role, Goodwin and Mabil tearing it up on the wings, and Behich and Grant as wingbacks, while also testing out Elder and Jones (if he finally chooses Australia) since I'm not sure how well Behich and Grant's club forms will translate to the national team. A lineup like this would be nice to see during a friendly against European opposition.

Finally, a ballsy experimental lineup with Jedi as a centreback, the Championship trio (Irvine, Luongo, Mooy) in midfield, and Juric and Rogic up top as strikers, with Rogic playing in more of a free-roaming role and sometimes as a false-nine depending on what the game demands, while Goodwin and Leckie can play as versatile wingers and drop back in defence if needed. Obviously this sort of team would be tested in a friendly when there isn't much else on the agenda...so probably not in the near future.

That 5-4-1 would be beautiful IMO

Ryan
     Sains, Jedi, Spira
Leckie, Mooy, Luongo, Smith/behich
           Rogic, Irvine
                 Juric
Edited
7 Years Ago by Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 19 Mar 2017 2:18 AM

Ryan
     Sains, Jedi, Spira
           Rogic, Irvine
                 Juric

That team, playing on the counter, fap fap fap
WolfyWolf
WolfyWolf
Weekender
Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 19 Mar 2017 2:22 AM

That team, playing on the counter, fap fap fap

This. And hell yes for Smith as a winger and not a fucking left back....seriously Ange, I don't wanna see that shit anymore.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Ryan
     Sains, Jedi, Spira
           Rogic, Irvine
                 Juric

Can't. Doesn't fit the narrative, apparently. Three central defenders is anathema, it will antagonise the gods, apparently.
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Ryan
     Sains, Jedi, Spira
           Rogic, Irvine
                 Juric

Would personally prefer Gersbach at LB to Smith/Behich. His close control and dribbling are very good and he often beats players 1v1. Kids practically a winger.
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
His in the off season sp hasnt been playing games yet

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

quickflick - 19 Mar 2017 3:00 AM

Can't. Doesn't fit the narrative, apparently. Three central defenders is anathema, it will antagonise the gods, apparently.

the gods be salty

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

well well well.  for those who scoffed at my long held stance that our mighty captain should consider slipping back into central defence (where i think he would step up a level from where he is now)

A defence case for Aston Villa's Mile Jedinak

Villa boss Steve Bruce reckons moving into defence could help extend Mile Jedinak’s career after tipping the Australian international to become a “top-class centre-back”.

Jedinak is again set to line-up in the heart of Villa’s backline for Saturday’s game at Wigan, having impressed his manager during last weekend’s 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday when he moved from his normal position in midfield following an injury to Nathan Baker.

Bruce believes the 32-year-old has the attributes to succeed at the back and claims a switch could keep him playing for longer.

“The big thing with Mile is it may prolong his career to go back,” he said. “People are playing at 36, 37 and 38 at centre-back. You’ve got Gareth McAuley down the road at West Brom.“There are not many players in midfield at that age. You can’t expect to be going round a midfield area, being six foot three and it’s something I will have a conversation with him about.

“Often when midfielders go back into defence they find the position easy because they are used to handling the ball and everything is in front of them. I think he has all the ingredients to be a top-class centre-back and I think he enjoyed it.”

Jedinak has made 27 appearances since joining in a £4million move from Crystal Palace last August and his return to the team last month, following a groin injury, has coincided with Villa's current run of four wins in five games.

"We missed him dreadfully when he was injured," admitted Bruce. "He has been excellent the last few weeks.  He plays with a fierce determination. He’s a typical Aussie and is ready for a fight. What you see is what you get. "He’s as tough as teak, hard as nails, proper old-school if you like who has done very, very well for the club."

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/03/17/a-defence-case-for-aston-viilas-mile-jedinak/#KyMuoF8iS2ibzke1.99

also http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/news/bruce-jedinak-could-become-a-defender_294049.html

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

inala brah - 19 Mar 2017 9:39 AM
well well well.  for those who scoffed at my long held stance that our mighty captain should consider slipping back into central defence (where i think he would step up a level from where he is now)

Villa boss Steve Bruce reckons moving into defence could help extend Mile Jedinak’s career after tipping the Australian international to become a “top-class centre-back”.

Jedinak is again set to line-up in the heart of Villa’s backline for Saturday’s game at Wigan, having impressed his manager during last weekend’s 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday when he moved from his normal position in midfield following an injury to Nathan Baker.

Bruce believes the 32-year-old has the attributes to succeed at the back and claims a switch could keep him playing for longer.

“The big thing with Mile is it may prolong his career to go back,” he said. “People are playing at 36, 37 and 38 at centre-back. You’ve got Gareth McAuley down the road at West Brom.“There are not many players in midfield at that age. You can’t expect to be going round a midfield area, being six foot three and it’s something I will have a conversation with him about.

“Often when midfielders go back into defence they find the position easy because they are used to handling the ball and everything is in front of them. I think he has all the ingredients to be a top-class centre-back and I think he enjoyed it.”

Jedinak has made 27 appearances since joining in a £4million move from Crystal Palace last August and his return to the team last month, following a groin injury, has coincided with Villa's current run of four wins in five games.

"We missed him dreadfully when he was injured," admitted Bruce. "He has been excellent the last few weeks.  He plays with a fierce determination. He’s a typical Aussie and is ready for a fight. What you see is what you get. "He’s as tough as teak, hard as nails, proper old-school if you like who has done very, very well for the club."

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/03/17/a-defence-case-for-aston-viilas-mile-jedinak/#KyMuoF8iS2ibzke1.99

also http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/news/bruce-jedinak-could-become-a-defender_294049.html

This definitely needs to be tested now. Jedi has all the qualities of a CB and now he's proven he can do it at club level, it's time to do it for the national team.
An extra advantage of this is that it frees up room in midfield for someone like Milligan, Irvine, Luongo, or any future defensive midfielder to slot in.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

johnszasz - 18 Mar 2017 8:30 PM

Will Saudi and UAE also suffer from the Thai heat? 

In winter it cools down a lot in the ME.

Thailand will be hotter at this time of the year.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Thanks for sharing this, IB.

Jedi's biggest issue will be turning and chasing if beaten. He could do a similar to job to Milligan as CB.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Amini ready to prove his worth for Socceroos

Dave Lewis 20 March 2017 5:57 AM
Amini cropped
Finally rewarded for five years of assiduously absorbing Europe's football philosophy, first at German giant Borussia Dortmund, then in the Danish Super Liga, the 23 year old midfielder now has the chance to prove he is worthy.

The fresh face remains as cherubic as ever, but AminI's game is underpinned by a newly forged maturity as he prepares to push for game time against the Iraqis in Tehran on Thursday night (AEDT) and the UAE in Sydney five days later.

The AGF live-wire never doubted that a call would eventually come if he kept delivering for his club, and he will fly to Iran brimming with confidence and a belief that he can offer a compelling option for Ange Postecoglou in a midfield bristling with established stars like Mile Jedinak, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Luongo and Mark Milligan - not to mention the injured Tom Rogic and in-form Jackson Irvine.

"For me, the main reason for coming overseas was to crack the national team," said Amini, who has represented Australia at all levels except senior.

"It's taken time to get a call and it's been a long journey.

"They see I am ready now and hopefully I can prove to Ange that I deserve to be in the squad.

"Having been a part of the 17's, 20's and 23's, I always had hope (of being selected).

"Every time I missed out or was part of the extended squad I always kept working and waiting for that call.

"It's been a reward for all the work."

Asked if he might bring something extra to the mix, Amini - who has played right across the midfield during his two years in Denmark - said: "Every player has their strengths and weaknesses.

"I am going into camp full of confidence, and seeing what I can bring to the team.

"This camp will show where I am at ... to get this call for a World Cup qualifier is massive.

"Every player wants to play and I am just looking forward to meeting up again with players like Mat Ryan and Trent Sainsbury, from our time at Central Coast, and Aaron Mooy, Jackson Irvine and Brad Smith from the Olyroos.

"Now it's time prove that I am worthy of the call and if I am given my debut I will make sure I take my chance."

With Australia a point adrift of Saudi Arabia and Japan, who top Group B with 10 points apiece, at the halfway point in the race to Russia, Amini described the games against Iraq and UAE as "must-win" matches.

"I've watched all our qualifiers so far and I know for sure that while it won't be easy we have the squad to successful in both these games," he said.

Amini will be one of the later arrivals in Tehran after playing in his side's 2-1 home loss to AaB Aalborg on Monday morning (AEDT).
http://www.beinsports.com/au/football/news/amini-ready-to-prove-his-worth-for-socceroos/487550

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

Decentric - 19 Mar 2017 2:42 PM

Thanks for sharing this, IB.

Jedi's biggest issue will be turning and chasing if beaten. He could do a similar to job to Milligan as CB.

you could say the same for most CB's - not a position typically loaded with pace. in fact bruce points to it being a suitable position for someone slowing down a bit with age because those kind of demands are less of an issue.  

CB's with good positional sense and game awareness dont get caught out as often. jedi is always going to have a howler here and there in any position.  i dont know if its his attention span or what but he does 1 or 2 every couple games.  he is under a good coach to make the transition at club.  if it had still been with pardew it would be a different story.

Edited
7 Years Ago by inala brah
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Harriet Robinson - 18 Mar 2017 12:59 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for AU :)

Welcome to the forum.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

scott21 - 20 Mar 2017 6:45 PM
Amini ready to prove his worth for SocceroosDave Lewis 20 March 2017 5:57 AMAmini croppedFinally rewarded for five years of assiduously absorbing Europe's football philosophy, first at German giant Borussia Dortmund, then in the Danish Super Liga, the 23 year old midfielder now has the chance to prove he is worthy.The fresh face remains as cherubic as ever, but AminI's game is underpinned by a newly forged maturity as he prepares to push for game time against the Iraqis in Tehran on Thursday night (AEDT) and the UAE in Sydney five days later.The AGF live-wire never doubted that a call would eventually come if he kept delivering for his club, and he will fly to Iran brimming with confidence and a belief that he can offer a compelling option for Ange Postecoglou in a midfield bristling with established stars like Mile Jedinak, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Luongo and Mark Milligan - not to mention the injured Tom Rogic and in-form Jackson Irvine."For me, the main reason for coming overseas was to crack the national team," said Amini, who has represented Australia at all levels except senior."It's taken time to get a call and it's been a long journey."They see I am ready now and hopefully I can prove to Ange that I deserve to be in the squad."Having been a part of the 17's, 20's and 23's, I always had hope (of being selected). "Every time I missed out or was part of the extended squad I always kept working and waiting for that call."It's been a reward for all the work."Asked if he might bring something extra to the mix, Amini - who has played right across the midfield during his two years in Denmark - said: "Every player has their strengths and weaknesses."I am going into camp full of confidence, and seeing what I can bring to the team."This camp will show where I am at ... to get this call for a World Cup qualifier is massive."Every player wants to play and I am just looking forward to meeting up again with players like Mat Ryan and Trent Sainsbury, from our time at Central Coast, and Aaron Mooy, Jackson Irvine and Brad Smith from the Olyroos."Now it's time prove that I am worthy of the call and if I am given my debut I will make sure I take my chance."With Australia a point adrift of Saudi Arabia and Japan, who top Group B with 10 points apiece, at the halfway point in the race to Russia, Amini described the games against Iraq and UAE as "must-win" matches."I've watched all our qualifiers so far and I know for sure that while it won't be easy we have the squad to successful in both these games," he said.Amini will be one of the later arrivals in Tehran after playing in his side's 2-1 home loss to AaB Aalborg on Monday morning (AEDT).http://www.beinsports.com/au/football/news/amini-ready-to-prove-his-worth-for-socceroos/487550

Whenever I've seen Amini play, it is his work, or lack of, when the ball is not at his feet that has been the issue.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search