Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the A-League season

Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the...

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the A-League season

BRISBANE Roar legend Thomas Broich will leave the club at the end of the season, The Courier-Mail can reveal.

Yet to be guaranteed another contract from Brisbane coach John Aloisi, Broich will look elsewhere in the hope of extending his playing career.

Less than three weeks ago, Broich told The Courier-Mail he was shelving retirement plans to continue playing – preferably with the Roar – beyond this season.

But now, unless the Roar host the grand final, which is an outside chance, Brisbane’s elimination final against Western Sydney Wanderers on Friday night will be his last A-League match at Suncorp Stadium.

Brisbane Roar great Thomas Broich will leave the club at the end of the season.
“He (Aloisi) said at this point he didn’t know whether he could offer me a new deal and how much he could offer me, so it left me in a really uncertain position,” Broich revealed on Tuesday.

“While I totally respect that the club has to do what is has to do, I just cannot be in that kind of position.

“I thanked John for his honesty and made my call.

“Now we all have certainty. We all know what’s going to happen. The club knows, I know, and that’s a relief for me.”

The news is bound to sadden Brisbane supporters. Broich is a fan favourite and with good reason.

Since joining the club in 2010, the German playmaker has inspired the Roar to three A-League championships, has twice won the Johnny Warren Medal, awarded to the season’s best player, and claimed the Joe Marston Medal for being best on ground in the 2014 grand final.

Broich asked the Roar faithful not to be upset about his departure.

Thomas Broich celebrates scoring for Brisbane Roar against Adelaide United.
“We’ve got capable people in charge. They just chose one path, and this path happens to not include me, but I’m sure the Roar will be very competitive in the future,” he said.

“It’s never been about individuals at this club. The club has always been bigger than one player. It’ll be the same leading forward.”

“I understand about the club going forward. I’m 36 years old so if they want to go for a younger player, then fair enough, I’m not going to stand in anyone’s way.

“That’s just the reality that I have to live with now.

“I’m obviously a bit sad. I’ve loved my time here, and it’s coming to an end. All good things have to come to an end eventually.

“The positives outweigh all the other stuff easily. I had such a great time here, I’ve cherished every moment, and there’s still plenty to play for ¬ that’s all I will remember.”

Broich, whose Roar farewell tour will also include a midweek AFC Champions League match at Suncorp Stadium next month, isn’t sure where he will play next season.

But whether it’s for another club or perhaps in Asia, he believes he still has plenty to offer.

“There are players in the world who play on until they are 42. Why can’t I play on for another two or three years? I’m not injury prone. I’m amazed that I’ve played that many games this season,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/club-legend-thomas-broich-to-leave-brisbane-roar-at-the-end-of-the-aleague-season/news-story/98e8071a452582c710e67cfeb1603c9f
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Wsw?

Thomas should be cheap. This could open up the chance for a Timmy marquee or guest marquee.... If FFA approved
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

: - (
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

A sad way to finish up.I was hoping he could be back up on a small salary,before moving into coaching.But if he believes he wants to play full time,it's up to him to look elsewhere.Maybe the Indian Superannuation league.But i fear his legs wont let him play out wide anymore.
:((
Goodluck Broichy
HighTimes
HighTimes
Amateur
Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)Amateur (644 reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 18 Apr 2017 8:18 PM
A sad way to finish up.I was hoping he could be back up on a small salary,before moving into coaching.But if he believes he wants to play full time,it's up to him to look elsewhere.Maybe the Indian Superannuation league.But i fear his legs wont let him play out wide anymore.:((Goodluck Broichy

Mariners could use someone to play in the middle now fab is probably leaving.....
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Well, if he's not staying at Roar the one thing he wont be is "cheap" ... they'd fit him in if he were.

Been magnificent for our club, good luck to the bloke - go to another A League club or otherwise, he'll always be part of us!
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Seen enough Broich to know this is a positive step by Aloishi

shallow hal wants a gal
shallow hal wants a gal
World Class
World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)

That's a shame but has had such a great a league career. I really hope he doesn't go to another a league club, if he wants to keep
Playing.. Indonesia? Thailand?

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

shallow hal wants a gal - 18 Apr 2017 8:52 PM
That's a shame but has had such a great a league career. I really hope he doesn't go to another a league club, if he wants to keepPlaying.. Indonesia? Thailand?

I rekn career 2 season to longmate.
Turned into a fukn extended memorial. We literally have a life-like golden statue of him to remember

lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

Hope he gets some stupid money and then comes back to coach. 
agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Personally I think he is a decent A league footballer now, 3-4 years ago, he was the best player in the league. 
I think in another 6 months, he may not be at a decent level anymore,  just like every player, one day the legs just go and I think Brioch reached that point.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Fair enough but still a shame.  Would've liked to see him do a Ryan Giggs and play on till he was 40, even if it only was in a decreasing on field role, before moving into coaching.

Good luck to him though where ever he ends up.

Member since 2008.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I just read an article stating he was applying for Aus citizenship. If he will be a non visa player next season I can't see why BR didn't give him a dodgy Jade North type contract. Having him on a low wage but being paid for coaching also etc.

An Australian team would seem most likely to me.
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

He would be eligible for a loyalty payment wouldnt he ?
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Tough spot for Brisbane and for Broich, but I still reckon he is better than 60-70% of players in the A-league, even if he only plays 45-60 mins a game. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Mr B
Mr B
Legend

I for one am furious at this news, it is disgraceful that the club could just let a legend like this walk away. He wants to continue playing, loves the club, yes he is getting older but still has more class than half the players in the A-League. 

I doubt money is the obstacle here because we know from the past he was willing to take a pay cut for Berisha. So what is the problem? I doubt he is pushing to start every game and would be willing to play whatever role he can for the team, even if that was from the bench. 

Mr B
Mr B
Legend

scott21 - 18 Apr 2017 9:43 PM

Guess I'm supporting Victory next season if he moves. 

The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

"he didn’t know whether he could offer me a new deal"

didn't know if he could off Thomas Broich a new deal

Thomas Broich. 

You have to be f--king kidding me. Not offer a certain amount of cash, a certain length of contract. but not even an offer of a new deal. 

What an absolute disgrace. Any feeling of warmth I had towards that club is dead. What a f--king basket case. WTF. Wow. John Aloisi you sack a s--t. I'm so angry. If these idiots don't think Broich is worthy of an a-league contract there truly is no hope for them. He's still one of their best players ffs. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by The Fans
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

scott21 - 18 Apr 2017 10:12 PM

haha

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Massive reaction from fans understandably upset at this. I seem to be in the minority on this one, I think it's the right time for him to go. He's 37 next season and gets through each game with pain killing injections on his troublesome ankle. Bloke is still pure class but the times right, at least for Roar, if he'd played on next season I think we would have regretted it. I recon he could do another year in the HAL for someone though (assuming his ankle holds) and maybe two more years in somewhere like Thailand. Hopefully he's back as coach in a couple of years all the same.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

As an Australian player he is a good pick up and strange release.
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

scott21 - 18 Apr 2017 10:28 PM
As an Australian player he is a good pick up and strange release.

strange? its a f--king sick joke of a release. 
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

If they don't value Broich above say......Pepper and Arana? ...well sheesh.

Guy changed the way the game is played here.  Showed the value of body shape in receiving the ball, shielding and having a soft but sure first touch.
I can't think of anybody that would be close to replacing him.  Maybe Carrusca, but even he can't do what Broich does for Brisbane.  Castro would be the only nominee I could reasonably summon.

Compare this to the way SFC has treated McFlynn and Victory with Muscat.  Broich has a ton of talent in his head that he could share as youth Coach.  He genuinely believes in the playing style. 

Just shows you - don't give anything to Roar because sure as fuck you won't get it back.  Terrible people.

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I understand where fans are coming from but I think it is time for him to hang up the boots. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

There has to be a certain amount of value having him at training and in the dressing room. Even if he averaged 25 mins or so over a season.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@SWandP

I think Broich has received more in salary from Roar than most people will earn in a lifetime - $500k+/year for how long? Hes been paid really well.

He's 37 next up, his ankle is almost shot and will probably need major surgery in the winter, and he's not asking for a cheap salary he's asking for what he thinks he's worth - good for him - but if Roar overpay Broich under the cap how do they afford to keep Avraam, Caletti and sign a new striker to replace Maccers?
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Thats really sad. What an absolutely immense player he has been both for Brisbane and the league. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

He will be heading back to Germany, that is a sure thing.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search