Sydney FC in the ACL

Sydney FC in the ACL

Author
Bender Parma
Hacker
Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Its a bit sad really.  

This should be promoted to the hills and the whole country should get behind them.  Instead, i dont even know when their first game is, so most of australia i assume is the same. it is tonight, i presume.

No one can dispute that they are easily the best side in the A league.  i havent done any statistics, but their win loss ratios i think, would be on par or better with the usual Japan, china and korea win loss ratios against australian sides, so you would have to think that they are our best chance of winning the comp since the West Sydney fairy tale.  

Are most others (fans of other teams) hoping for a win/good performance, a poor performance or couldnt care less?

Anyway, good luck to Sydney FC and i certainly hope they fare better than the last great Brisbane side who faltered at this stage.  I think that they will make the second round and have as much chance as anyone, for what it is worth.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Tomorrow night

Beaten by Eldar

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I’ll certainly be supporting them and hoping they do well, as I do with all A-League teams in the ACL. It’s for the greater good.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Just out of curiosity, why should the whole country get behind them? They're a club side, not a national side.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
walnuts - 13 Feb 2018 8:40 AM
Just out of curiosity, why should the whole country get behind them? They're a club side, not a national side.

Fortunately now club results count at least a bit for entrant numbers in Asia, so at least for that.

I do hope they do well.

I hope that we do better, though.
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
SutherlandFan
SutherlandFan
Rising Star
Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)Rising Star (882 reputation)

I think they have a great chance to win it, with a comfortable lead in the league they can really concentrate on performing in the ACL. 
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Hope they don't win a game. 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

The ref's will not be as supportive as the A League ref's are, so they will disappoint. I can't wait to see Arnie's response!
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

The Aleague and the clubs have zero marketing budget. They advertise to members and that's about it. 
SFC could rip Suwon a new one tonight. They've without several of the best players and we're in good form. 
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

I don't know why anyone would think a game between an Australian and some Korean club would excite the masses. Would be marketing $'s down the drain.
alvn1
alvn1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Sydney FC only score so many against A-League teams because VAR loves them. Without VAR they wouldn't stand a chance against A-League teams so how are they going to match Asian clubs? 
Akumastarr
Akumastarr
Rising Star
Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)Rising Star (914 reputation)

This. Don't know why a person from Perth, Adelaide or QLD would care how Sydney FC do beyond hoping that the additional travel will take a toll on their players and affect their A-league performance.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Akumastarr - 13 Feb 2018 10:47 AM

This. Don't know why a person from Perth, Adelaide or QLD would care how Sydney FC do beyond hoping that the additional travel will take a toll on their players and affect their A-league performance.

League reputation is why, we should be aiming for 4 ACL spots and for that to happen the club sides need to actually perform. Too bad the Roar fucked us over when we were closing in on China. (Yes i know we can only get 3 spots for now, but we are still 4th in the rankings)
Edited
6 Years Ago by City Sam
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

jlm8695 - 13 Feb 2018 9:13 AM

+1. Hopefully we'll get a close-up of Brosque after as well 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Personally I feel more connection to Sydney FC than Suwon, so I'll support Sydney in the game (I also grew up in Sydney) ... although now a Glory supporter.
fcstan
fcstan
Super Fan
Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)

Libel - why would you promote Aus team vs Korean team ask what would cricket/afl/nrl/netball do
marketing -The action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising
however Football can not afford to this
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

fcstan - 13 Feb 2018 12:30 PM
Libel - why would you promote Aus team vs Korean team ask what would cricket/afl/nrl/netball do
marketing -The action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising

huh?
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Do the Asian countries have eurosnobs there? Is the acl and local league respected there?
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

fcstan - 13 Feb 2018 12:30 PM

I grew up in an area of Sydney with a fairly high Korean population too. I'd imagine in Sydney they could appeal to a fair bit of the Korean population to get down and cheer on the teams (who knows they might come down to cheer on Suwon and then show up to a few more Sydney games afterwards).

I'd imagine there is a fair bit of marketing potential ... why not invite the Korean Society/Community (or the like) down to the club / stadium before the match and create some atmosphere (use the Society's network to get people to the game). Surely there are plenty of Korean restaurants in town ... perhaps a food truck outside before hand??

There are only 3 home games in the ACL group stage, why not make each a mini festival ...  plenty of community organisations that jump at setting up things at festivals (for free). Why not simply give out free tickets to all group stage games for junior players registered in the closest local association (must be with a paying adult) .... it is for 3 games, if they make finals then chances for the kids to then pay to come, or similarly enjoy what they see and go to Sydney FC A-League games.
libel
libel
Pro

Koreans will turn up to watch their national team, but couldnt give two hoots about club teams, especially when they dont even come from the city. K-League averaged 6k last season I believe, and I wouldnt be surprised if their ACL group stage attendances were even worse.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

libel - 13 Feb 2018 2:02 PM
Koreans will turn up to watch their national team, but couldnt give two hoots about club teams, especially when they dont even come from the city. K-League averaged 6k last season I believe, and I wouldnt be surprised if their ACL group stage attendances were even worse.

Hence target the community groups of Koreans etc. lots these groups are supportive of the community irrespective of what it is for ... and for something actually connected to Korea I'd imagine it would be even easier to make a connection.

In the end this would cost Sydney FC pretty much nothing, and could boost crowd numbers.
libel
libel
Pro

sokorny - 13 Feb 2018 2:10 PM
libel - 13 Feb 2018 2:02 PM

Hence target the community groups of Koreans etc. lots these groups are supportive of the community irrespective of what it is for ... and for something actually connected to Korea I'd imagine it would be even easier to make a connection.

In the end this would cost Sydney FC pretty much nothing, and could boost crowd numbers.

Whatever you say...

My guess is it would be lucky to "boost" crowd numbers by 100 (involving some free tix)
Edited
6 Years Ago by libel
greenlionii
greenlionii
Rising Star
Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)Rising Star (860 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 13 Feb 2018 1:40 PM
Do the Asian countries have eurosnobs there? Is the acl and local league respected there?

According to a report published in 2017, CSL has the second biggest fanbase in china among all of the football leagues, 62.5% Chinese football fans follows EPL, the ratio is 50.9% for CSL, 46.6% for La Liga and 19% for bundsliga.

http://www.iresearch.cn/include/ajax/user_ajax.ashx?work=idown&rid=3048

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Bigger picture, that's why. HAL clubs performing well in this comp is hugely beneficial to the league and Australian football as a whole. It provides a good opportunity for Aussie players to get noticed on an international stage. There is the potential to attract international players and investors into the league. On top of all that there is the possibility (albeit a minuscule one) that there could be a big blue derby final. That would be a massive win for the league regardless of the outcome.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

someguyjc - 13 Feb 2018 2:40 PM

Bigger picture, that's why. HAL clubs performing well in this comp is hugely beneficial to the league and Australian football as a whole. It provides a good opportunity for Aussie players to get noticed on an international stage. There is the potential to attract international players and investors into the league. On top of all that there is the possibility (albeit a minuscule one) that there could be a big blue derby final. That would be a massive win for the league regardless of the outcome.

Talking way too much sense.  Cut it out.

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 13 Feb 2018 3:15 PM

Talking way too much sense.  Cut it out.

Problem is he's arguing to people that think the A-League crashing and burning will be a panacea for all our problems. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

onya mate one of the more useful posts in this thread compared to most of the typical small minded crapppppp.

Love Football

hitpehoaos
hitpehoaos
Amateur
Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)

Agreed except for the big blue final. Have they changed the rules this year because I thought the final had to be an East Asian team vs west Asian team
No Totti No Party
No Totti No Party
Amateur
Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 13 Feb 2018 1:40 PM

Only the Gulf countries care about the ACL because there's fuck all else to do there

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

jlm8695 - 13 Feb 2018 9:13 AM

I hope they don't win a game, don't score a goal and concede 5 in every match. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search