Commonwealth Games

Commonwealth Games

Author
Strayan
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
so now i'm really confused.

i hear that the First Fleet sailing onto Botany Bay in 1788 was Invasion Day.
I hear that the British colonization of this land resulted in widespread genocide.

so i switch on to the commonwealth games opening ceremony. ironic.
they're flogging the aboriginal kulcha out on to centre stage, showcasing the history and celebrating
the first peoples of this land......fair enough.
.....now i'm expecting the next chapter of the Australian story to be presented. you know the part where captain cook
and later the first fleet rocked up and turned this place into what it is today.
..........OOPS!!! no such mention of this. or the immigration from all around the world that takes place over the next 200 years.

tokenism. virtue signalling. 
saddest thing was to see these poor aboriginals having to get all dressed up in native costumes and dancing about in front of British Royals
representing an event that celebrates British imperialism and colonialism that apparently resulted in GENOCIDE of the aboriginal people.
i think this country is damm confused LOL.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
No Black Whales either

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Mates brother works as the QPS security camera man. Apparently the protests by indigenous people outside were pretty gnarly. 

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

BETHFC - 5 Apr 2018 3:53 PM
Mates brother works as the QPS security camera man. Apparently the protests by indigenous people outside were pretty gnarly. 

Goodonya Dylan

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Amusement this morning, woke up seeing a headline on news.com.au equating NZ stuffing up and using the wrong type of bike in the mens pursuit to the cricket ball tampering scandal. Christ some people will do anything to deflect....

As a local, they've also really screwed business. All over local newspaper social media they're reporting a huge loss in trade. The mrs is a manager at a shoe store in our 2nd biggest shopping centre and shes been saying it's dead. On the plus side, our usually clogged highway is a dream to use at present. 

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

BETHFC - 6 Apr 2018 7:56 AM
 On the plus side, our usually clogged highway is a dream to use at present. 

Loving it,

Just a pity it's down to 100 km and cameras everywhere

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Strayan - 5 Apr 2018 3:06 PM
representing an event that celebrates British imperialism and colonialism that apparently resulted in GENOCIDE of the aboriginal people.

Genocide only occurred in Queensland (helped by the Native Police, who were aboriginal squads led by white officers) and Tasmania (in Tas it was after the natives broke agreements and starting attacking people and livestock). The majority of deaths were caused by illness (which the colonists had no idea they were the cause of, germ theory had yet to be produced), alcohol (which I'll grant the colonists the cause of, however they did not know the adverse affects it would cause) and inter-tribal warfare (something never talked about by apologists, tribes of natives became more aggressive in order to sure up their position and use the colonization to their advantage)

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

so now i'm really confused.

i hear that the First Fleet sailing onto Botany Bay in 1788 was Invasion Day.
I hear that the British colonization of this land resulted in widespread genocide.

so i switch on to the commonwealth games opening ceremony. ironic.
they're flogging the aboriginal kulcha out on to centre stage, showcasing the history and celebrating
the first peoples of this land......fair enough.
.....now i'm expecting the next chapter of the Australian story to be presented. you know the part where captain cook
and later the first fleet rocked up and turned this place into what it is today.
..........OOPS!!! no such mention of this. or the immigration from all around the world that takes place over the next 200 years.

tokenism. virtue signalling. 
saddest thing was to see these poor aboriginals having to get all dressed up in native costumes and dancing about in front of British Royals

I know right. It's a shame that the former colonies can look beyond their troubled pasts and peacefully come together for one of the worlds largest sporting events. I'm disappointed that none of the governing bodies have spoken up and admitted that everything that was bad in the past was caused by colonialism and therefore we need to cut off all ties and revert our government model to the flawless system of (non-existent system form of governance organised over the last 200 years which had no negative repercussions).

Can't we just go our separate ways?

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Image result for fish jumping in boat ernie and bert animated gif

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

vanlassen - 6 Apr 2018 12:18 PM

I know right. It's a shame that the former colonies can look beyond their troubled pasts and peacefully come together for one of the worlds largest sporting events. I'm disappointed that none of the governing bodies have spoken up and admitted that everything that was bad in the past was caused by colonialism and therefore we need to cut off all ties and revert our government model to the flawless system of (non-existent system form of governance organised over the last 200 years which had no negative repercussions).

Can't we just go our separate ways?

I think the only honourable thing us evil colonialists can do at this stage is slit our wrists and be done with it. 

Seriously though, its an opening ceremony. It's meant to be a celebration, not a lesson in national guilt and shame. I don't remember the Beijing 2008 ceremony featuring a section on the current and ongoing cultural genocide of Tibet. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

I really like the indigenous people. I though their display in the opening ceremony was great.

I want these sorts of disputes sorted. Obviously there are still grievances that need to be resolved.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

These grievances will never be resolved because victim status earns people legitimacy.

What percentage of Dylan Voller’s heritage do you think is aboriginal and what percentage is european?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Aljay - 7 Apr 2018 6:29 AM
These grievances will never be resolved because victim status earns people legitimacy.What percentage of Dylan Voller’s heritage do you think is aboriginal and what percentage is european?

Regardless his treatment has been pretty shitty just from humans rights alone. 

As for protesters i understand that some may have a victim complex but theres legitimate issues out there such as loss of language and territories. Simple things like that have a huge impact on people.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

What's this about trade and traffic down on the Gold Coast? Are visitors just not into shopping and night life? 
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

johnszasz - 8 Apr 2018 5:58 AM
What's this about trade and traffic down on the Gold Coast? Are visitors just not into shopping and night life? 

The Mrs. and I went to Pacific Fair yesterday which is a nightmare to get to at the best of times and we got a park 50m from the front door which is unheard of. People are sharing photos of normal hot spots being practically empty. The games people wanted people off the roads and its worked too well. Now the major is asking people to get out and support local business..... 

Reports everywhere saying local trade is almost non-existent. It took me 12 minutes to get to work this morning. If I left at the time I did 4 weeks ago it would have taken at least double that. 

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Laurel Hubbard is out of the weightlifting. It looks like the gold medal will go to a woman.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

vanlassen - 9 Apr 2018 4:10 PM
Laurel Hubbard is out of the weightlifting. It looks like the gold medal will go to a woman.

A
Social
Construct

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

vanlassen - 9 Apr 2018 4:10 PM

And if you think he's confused , Spare a thought for the sheep.

If I must
If I must
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)

I have not watched any of the Commonwealth games, it just has not attracted, neither did the Winter Olympics although I watched a tiny amount of that. 

However the decision to allow a man to compete in women's competition is a disgrace.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

If I must - 9 Apr 2018 5:14 PM
I have not watched any of the Commonwealth games, it just has not attracted, neither did the Winter Olympics although I watched a tiny amount of that. 

However the decision to allow a man to compete in women's competition is a disgrace.

Been alright so far.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I've enjoyed the games so far. 

I think there has been far too much publicity given to swimming and swimmers are under far too much media pressure to win gold well before the time they reach finals. I don't think any other country in the world has so much coverage of swimming relative to other sports.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Have you seen this man ?

Gewichtheben mal anders - ID: 18360

Five Cameroon athletes have gone missing from the athletes' village at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, with three weightlifters and two boxers failing to turn up to their competition events this week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-11/five-cameroon-athletes-missing-from-commonwealth-games-village/9640744?section=sport

After the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games, 26 athletes and officials sought asylum in Australia

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search