Apia's Shabby Treatment of Fondyke

Apia's Shabby Treatment of Fondyke

Author
Big Wally
Hacker
Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
2nd Div here we come...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/football-confidential-npl-player-cops-raw-deal/news-story/1b5236af0569a38ce3dcfc67e994da97

Howard's shabby end
Daily Telegraph, Sydney by Tom Smithies Emma Kemp 01 Mar 2019
Sport - page 87 

ON the day a working group sat down to try to map out a route to having a national second division for the A-League, and ultimately promotion and relegation, it seems not all self-declared candidates understand the levels of professionalism involved. Just ask Howard Fondyke, the former Perth Glory midfielder who played almost every game for APIA Leichhardt in the NPL and FFA Cup last season and who signed a new contract for this season last September.

His re-signing was promoted by the club on its social media in January. But last Thursday, just four days before the registration window for NPL players closed, Fondyke was told he was no longer wanted by APIA, despite having a signed contract. Fondyke said he was told it was because the club wanted to bring in Blake Powell, the former Sydney FC and Wellington striker who has been playing for Philippines side Ceres-Negros. They just knocked Brisbane Roar out of the Asian Champions League.

Owed a substantial amount of back pay, Powell was anticipating becoming a free agent, and Confidential has confirmed APIA were his likely destination. APIA admit Fondyke had a contract for this season but claim that despite his selection in almost all pre-season games, their decision was based on form.

"Howard was informed that his performances in preseason trials were poor and meant he was unlikely to make the match-day squad, and given the registration window was now open, he may wish to seek an opportunity to play regular football elsewhere," interim president Jim Apostolovski said in a statement. Like most NPL contracts, Fondyke's salary was hugely based on appearances. He said he was told he could leave or play for free with effectively two working days to find a new club in the knowledge that if he stayed, he would forgo thousands of dollars.

Luckily for him, in his day job as a community officer at Sydney FC, Fondyke's boss is Paul Reid, who is also coach of NPL side Rockdale. Reid offered to sign Fondyke for Rockdale, and his registration was rushed through in time.

"Howard did not assert at any time that the club had breached any contract or failed to honour any of its commitments to him," Apostolovski said.

Fondyke remembers it differently.

"When the club first called me I told them I had a contract, it was legally binding and I didn't want to have to leave," he said. "I've got a mortgage and all that to consider.

"They gave me effectively two working days to find a new club. This isn't like parts of Asia where players get badly treated, both parties had signed a contract. I'm 29, I've had my shot at the A-League, and I just want to enjoy my football now. I don't understand how you can do that to a player." The sting in the tail? At the last minute, Ceres-Negros paid Powell the money he was owed, so he's staying there.

Kolner
Kolner
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Big Wally - 1 Mar 2019 12:57 PM
2nd Div here we come...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/football-confidential-npl-player-cops-raw-deal/news-story/1b5236af0569a38ce3dcfc67e994da97

Howard's shabby end
Daily Telegraph, Sydney by Tom Smithies Emma Kemp 01 Mar 2019
Sport - page 87 

ON the day a working group sat down to try to map out a route to having a national second division for the A-League, and ultimately promotion and relegation, it seems not all self-declared candidates understand the levels of professionalism involved. Just ask Howard Fondyke, the former Perth Glory midfielder who played almost every game for APIA Leichhardt in the NPL and FFA Cup last season and who signed a new contract for this season last September.

His re-signing was promoted by the club on its social media in January. But last Thursday, just four days before the registration window for NPL players closed, Fondyke was told he was no longer wanted by APIA, despite having a signed contract. Fondyke said he was told it was because the club wanted to bring in Blake Powell, the former Sydney FC and Wellington striker who has been playing for Philippines side Ceres-Negros. They just knocked Brisbane Roar out of the Asian Champions League.

Owed a substantial amount of back pay, Powell was anticipating becoming a free agent, and Confidential has confirmed APIA were his likely destination. APIA admit Fondyke had a contract for this season but claim that despite his selection in almost all pre-season games, their decision was based on form.

"Howard was informed that his performances in preseason trials were poor and meant he was unlikely to make the match-day squad, and given the registration window was now open, he may wish to seek an opportunity to play regular football elsewhere," interim president Jim Apostolovski said in a statement. Like most NPL contracts, Fondyke's salary was hugely based on appearances. He said he was told he could leave or play for free with effectively two working days to find a new club in the knowledge that if he stayed, he would forgo thousands of dollars.

Luckily for him, in his day job as a community officer at Sydney FC, Fondyke's boss is Paul Reid, who is also coach of NPL side Rockdale. Reid offered to sign Fondyke for Rockdale, and his registration was rushed through in time.

"Howard did not assert at any time that the club had breached any contract or failed to honour any of its commitments to him," Apostolovski said.

Fondyke remembers it differently.

"When the club first called me I told them I had a contract, it was legally binding and I didn't want to have to leave," he said. "I've got a mortgage and all that to consider.

"They gave me effectively two working days to find a new club. This isn't like parts of Asia where players get badly treated, both parties had signed a contract. I'm 29, I've had my shot at the A-League, and I just want to enjoy my football now. I don't understand how you can do that to a player." The sting in the tail? At the last minute, Ceres-Negros paid Powell the money he was owed, so he's staying there.

Not a good read.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Mmmmmm.
Lucky he works with Reid.
After that Powell is staying in the Philippines lol......
Hasn't Murray gone back to APIA ?

Love Football

19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Murray hasnt signed for APIA from what i am told.

is Tony Raciti gone from APIA?

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

Big Wally
Big Wally
Hacker
Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)Hacker (434 reputation)

Hes still in the background, his son is now heavily involved as well. He just settled a big court case against him and is starting to show himself around again.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

ah ok re Murray.

Love Football

No Totti No Party
No Totti No Party
Amateur
Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)

Big Wally - 6 Mar 2019 9:20 AM
Hes still in the background, his son is now heavily involved as well. He just settled a big court case against him and is starting to show himself around again.

Raciti? I heard he was on death's door..
19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
No Totti No Party - 6 Mar 2019 10:15 AM
Big Wally - 6 Mar 2019 9:20 AM

Raciti? I heard he was on death's door..

i heard he had health issues too? hopefully he made a recovery. 

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

yer we commented about this I think early last season.
Haven't heard a word whats doing.

Love Football

Big Wally
Big Wally
Hacker

He's been back at his restaurant this week, must be getting better. I was told about a court case he lost, but might just be another rumour. Need the man himself to fill us in via his show...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search