The Official Summer of Cricket thread......

The Official Summer of Cricket thread......

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Pup right age to be next Test top dog

Ian Chappell From: The Sunday Telegraph October 03, 2010

ONE of the more amazing cricket statistics is the minimal number of Australian Test captains appointed in 133 years.
Only 42 players have captained Australia, indicating how important stability is to the selectors.

The past is also a clue to the future. The trend of longevity is sure to continue, which narrows the field to one man - Michael Clarke.

Otherwise, why was Clarke anointed as Ricky Ponting's successor when Adam Gilchrist retired in 2008-09?

At that point the selectors made a judgment and having decided Clarke was the man to guide Australia's future path, it would take a monumental backdown for them now to admit they made a mistake.

Selectors backing down occurs about as often as sightings of Halley's Comet. In addition, if the selectors continue to choose a captain for the long haul, a glance at the other contenders also shows Clarke is best placed to take over from Ponting.

Clarke is 29, a good age to assume the leadership.

The other serious candidates in the team, Brad Haddin (32), Simon Katich (35) and Mike Hussey (35) are at an age where they would only serve as a fill-in captain.

Of those 42 Australian captains, about eight have been fill-ins, consequently the senior players' best chance of getting a gig is an injury to Clarke.

Of the other players around the right age to take over from Ponting, only Cameron White (27) fits the captaincy profile.

White, with six seasons of experience as Victorian captain, is well-credentialled - perhaps even better than Clarke, who has never led NSW.

However, White isn't a front-line Test candidate and with the emergence of Steven Smith as a leg-spinning all-rounder, he's unlikely to receive an opportunity anytime soon.

That leaves only two questions;

1. Is Clarke a good candidate?

2. When is he likely to take over from Ponting?

Apart from leadership qualities, the important attributes of a captain are his playing skills, the respect he has earned from his team-mates and his capacity for taking tough decisions.

Clarke has shown since his elevation to the vice-captaincy that his batting has been buoyed by the responsibility rather than weighed down by expectation.

In that period he's performed better than anyone other than Katich. He's shown maturity off the field in handling his father's health issues and then the turmoil caused by a stormy relationship.

He ended his extremely public engagement to model Lara Bingle in what must have been a traumatic time for everyone and yet retained his dignity.

Nothing that happens on the cricket field will ever be as difficult as that decision.

Clarke has also shown himself to be an enterprising captain in his stint as Australia's Twenty20 leader.

Nevertheless, if he stops whistling, as though calling up a sheepdog, to attract the attention of his team-mates in the field, I'm sure that would help the captain-player relationship.

The training received in a highly competitive system is another reason why Australia have needed so few skippers. Clarke has passed through that system with flying colours, including a stint as a youth leader, so he's well prepared for the next step.

Clarke is an ambitious cricketer, always has been and always will be. Potential leaders naturally possess ambition, just ask Bob Hawke about Paul Keating and John Howard about Peter Costello.

Like Clarke, Ponting is extremely ambitious and competitive.

His net sessions as a youngster facing Glenn McGrath at the Academy in Adelaide were stuff of legend and his recent strict exercise regime indicates he's in no hurry to depart the Test side.

In fact, Ponting has hinted he wants to retain the Test captaincy for sometime yet, perhaps even through to the Ashes in 2013. The difference between cricket and politics is the captain doesn't get to do a deal regarding the succession plan.

The captaincy is decided by the selectors. That means Clarke and Ponting's fate is in the selectors' hands. The ideal time to appoint number 43 would be after a successful Ashes campaign in Australia; Ponting would go out a hero and Clarke is the right age to take over.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/pup-right-age-to-be-next-test-top-dog/story-e6freyar-1225933268079

Edited by Joffa: 28/7/2011 09:46:49 PM

Edited by Joffa: 1/11/2015 08:37:21 PM

Edited by Joffa: 1/11/2015 08:39:49 PM
Edited
8 Years Ago by Joffa
thewestisland
thewestisland
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We only host Pakistan, and the nature of that is fortuitous at best. I'll be getting into domestic cricket in a big way, seeing as ND have all their home games for the domestic one-day competition in my town, as well as 3 4-day games.

Edited by thewestisland: 3/10/2010 01:09:26 AM
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

it'll be good fun.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

With regards to the article, Clarke will be a useless captain.

With regards to the summer, I just fucking hope its competitive. That 5-0 whitewash was the worst summer of Cricket I've seen.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:
Clarke will be a useless captain.

someone actually agrees for once.

I think it will be competitive this time around in the Ashes. Maybe a 3-1 win
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Simon Katich for captain... even if he's 35

thing is though i can't think of anybody who could take over besides Clarke long term
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

can't wait, it will be interesting to see how the new rules in the domestic one day competition, hope it's not a complete failure

being english, it'll be england all the way for me in the ashes, funny really, 'cos i hate the aussies and go for england in the cricket, but in the football, it's the other way round
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Gooner4life_8 wrote:
can't wait, it will be interesting to see how the new rules in the domestic one day competition, hope it's not a complete failure

being english, it'll be england all the way for me in the ashes, funny really, 'cos i hate the aussies and go for england in the cricket, but in the football, it's the other way round

It's because the Australian cricket team is so hateable. It's pretty much full of dickheads. I'll generally support most sides who are playing against the Aussies, though that's usually because I like more players from other countries.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Fantasy selectors not sure about Bradman

October 3, 2010 - 4:24PM

Sir Donald Bradman's Test batting average of 99.94 puts him in a league of his own - yet it seems not everyone is convinced of the great Australian's unquestioned superiority over all other cricketers through the ages.

"The Don" made almost 40 runs per innings more than his nearest challenger in the all-time batting records, South African Graeme Pollock 'trailing' on 60.97 - just ahead of George Headley, the 'Black Bradman'.

But those who have tried and failed - with great distinction nonetheless - to approach Bradman's feats, appear to be collectively challenging his status as his and their sport's unrivalled genius.

It is the passage of time which proves Bradman's great adversary as 100 of the world's best Test cricketers, past and present, pick their all-time greatest teams in 'In a League of Their Own' - published this month.

Whereas Bradman towers statistically over all-comers, he surprisingly makes only 53 per cent of the teams picked by a century of fantasy 'selectors' of combined world-class calibre and standing.

Far from his accustomed position furlongs clear of the field, Bradman is usurped in popularity and relegated to fifth spot - behind Garfield Sobers (73pct), Viv Richards (64), Shane Warne (61) and Sunil Gavaskar (58).

The rationale quoted by those who choose to omit him is that they cannot fairly select someone, even Bradman, if they did not see him play.

Bradman does, of course, take his place in the book's all-time World XI - at his habitual No.3, in a team populated otherwise by players of more recent vintage.

Wicketkeeper Alan Knott is the only Englishman in that elite line-up, having appeared in 34 of the 100 teams - while Andrew Flintoff, who features in just one XI (chosen by Jacques Kallis), is the only player in the post-Ian Botham era to graduate from England.

The all-conquering West Indies era of the 1970s and `80s is especially well-represented - and it is one of the most feared performers from that time who cites what he perceives as a paucity of English talent as part of his rationale for leaving out both Bradman and Headley.

" ... these two played in a time when cricket was limited globally," said Colin Croft.

"Both have been highly favoured for runs made against England. But I ask you: When have England ever been the world's best cricket team? Never!

"England may have invented the game, and its scribes may have conjured up a few heroes. But overall, England has been very poor indeed. Bradman and Headley were great in their time - but, for me, not of all time."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/fantasy-selectors-not-sure-about-bradman-20101003-162hw.html

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

I agree with the theory behind that, you can't just judge on stats alone, but in the case of Bradman, that's just not true.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Anyone's thoughts on the series against India.
Career saving ton by North, I don't really like him though
Peter George looks like a decent prospect.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

buddha69 wrote:
Anyone's thoughts on the series against India.
Career saving ton by North, I don't really like him though
Peter George looks like a decent prospect.

North has played 29 test Innings. In 19 of those, he hasn't gotten past 20. Unless he gets a start, he's absolutely useless. Shouldn't be anywhere near the test team. Bring in Dave Hussey FFS.

Really enjoyed following this test series. Tight competition all the way through. Tendulkar is still the legend.
MidfieldMaestro
MidfieldMaestro
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Going to the 5th Ashes Test. \:d/ Can't wait.

Hopefully it's 2-2 when this test comes around.

Edited by MidfieldMaestro: 13/10/2010 07:19:48 PM
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

going days 2 & 3 of the 5th test... probably won't be live, never actually been to a 'live' ashes test match
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend

there's a heap of ticket's left isn't there, might go to a day or two of one of the tests

will definitely go to the one dayer and the warm up between england and australia A down here though
Vaughn2111
Vaughn2111
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Going to day 4 of the Sydney test. Agree about pissing off North as soon as possible.

What do you guys think about Tim Paine v Brad Haddin?

I've always been a fan of Haddin, but I think Paine did a good job in India.
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend

obviously i'm on paine's side, but there's no doubt for me that haddin will retain his spot when he comes back. anyway, i want paine at tasmania this season, when's haddin fit again?
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

this SHOULD be the XI for the Ashes

Shane Watson
Phil Hughes
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting
Micheal Clarke (still not set on him, but there's nobody immediate pushing his position)
Mike Hussey
Brad Haddin
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

12th Man
Peter Siddle

i would of had Hazelwood in there but you don't know with those back problems at such a young age
Vaughn2111
Vaughn2111
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Gooner4life_8 wrote:
obviously i'm on paine's side, but there's no doubt for me that haddin will retain his spot when he comes back. anyway, i want paine at tasmania this season, when's haddin fit again?

I think he's been playing some 2nd XI games for NSW (NSW 1sts aren't playing atm)
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

Vaughn2111 wrote:
Gooner4life_8 wrote:

I think he's been playing some 2nd XI games for NSW (NSW 1sts aren't playing atm)

yeah he'll slot in there but here's a thought... pick Paine as a batsmen?
Vaughn2111
Vaughn2111
Pro

The Doctor wrote:
this SHOULD be the XI for the Ashes

Shane Watson
Phil Hughes
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting
Micheal Clarke (still not set on him, but there's nobody immediate pushing his position)
Mike Hussey
Brad Haddin
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

12th Man
Peter Siddle

i would of had Hazelwood in there but you don't know with those back problems at such a young age

I'm not a fan of Hughes at all. Can't stand his play in a test match. I would rather keep Katich and Watson (who i must say is finally growing on me). Bring in Dave Hussey to strengthen the middle order
Vaughn2111
Vaughn2111
Pro

The Doctor wrote:
Vaughn2111 wrote:
Gooner4life_8 wrote:

Wouldn't be suprised if they did tbh.

I think Steve Smith is a strong chance to feature, a good young scalp for the squad.
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend

The Doctor wrote:
Vaughn2111 wrote:
Gooner4life_8 wrote:

was thinking that the other day, used to open the batting for us before we won the sheffield shield a few years ago so he could come in at the top of the order i guess!?
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:

Hifenhaus is a dud, mate.

ARE YOU KIDDING... he's unbelievably valuable to the team because he actually swings the ball unlike the rest who are just gun barrel straight, Australia are a much better outfit with him the team... If Bowden had given the deadset LB in the last test match he would Hilfenhaus would have been a hero... He gives Australia a different option and can be very useful when the ball is old, like come on
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

I think due to what Hilfy offers he should be in the XI.

Vaughn2111
Vaughn2111
Pro

Throw in Siddle, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus and I'll be happy.
Johnson is probably my least favourite bowler at the moment.
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend

The Doctor wrote:
11.mvfc.11 wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING... he's unbelievably valuable to the team because he actually swings the ball unlike the rest who are just gun barrel straight, Australia are a much better outfit with him the team... If Bowden had given the deadset LB in the last test match he would Hilfenhaus would have been a hero... He gives Australia a different option and can be very useful when the ball is old, like come on

no tasmania bias, hilfenhaus is far from a dud [-x
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

I think if it is out of Bollinger and Hilfenhaus; Bollinger would go. That's my opinion.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

The Doctor wrote:
11.mvfc.11 wrote:

Only problem being it was Johnson who bowled that plum LB:lol:

As for the Haddin/Paine dilemma. You could have either in there as a batsmen or as a keeper/batsmen. I'd pick both tbh.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

Vaughn2111 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Hughes at all. Can't stand his play in a test match. I would rather keep Katich and Watson (who i must say is finally growing on me). Bring in Dave Hussey to strengthen the middle order[/quote]

I think you have to play Hughes, not for the team at this minute but the team in 2 years time, like you can call up David Hussey but how old is he 33? like how long does he have as a test match batsmen, this was the previous problem with the Australian team, we brought through seasoned shield players into the team, who did deserve there spot, like Stuey Clark, Mike Hussey, Simon Katich, Doug Bollinger, Marcus North etc etc... but it's not exactly generation building. Look at India in this series they've blooded a few young debutants and India in the future will be better for it...

Hughes may have faults in his batting but the guy can obviously bat, you don't make shield 100's consistently and be a bad batsmen, the guy scored 100's against Dale Steyn & Co.... it's the same as Steve Smith, build this team, we may draw this series in Australia (i'm not willing to think that we could lose) but i'd take a drawn series this year and win the next 3 tbh

Edited by The Doctor: 13/10/2010 08:21:12 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search