Inside Sport

Kardinia Park Trust boss Michael Brown pushes Geelong’s A-League case

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2470684.aspx

By scott21 - 10 Jan 2017 4:23 AM

Kardinia Park Trust boss Michael Brown pushes Geelong’s A-League case

GEELONG “is ready” to join the A-League, a key player in any potential license bid believes.

Kardinia Park Trust interim boss Michael Brown said he is yet to meet those behind Geelong’s push for an A-League club, but was keen to work closely with them if they decide to pull the trigger on a bid.

Simonds Stadium, which is managed by the Trust, looms as the jewel in the crown of Geelong’s potential submission to FFA once the expansion framework is announced next month.

Brown’s support comes after an overwhelming show of support from locals voting on an Geelong Advertiser online poll.

A staggering 80.55 per cent of the 1301 voters said they believed Geelong should be given its own A-League team when the competition is expanded in time for the 2018/19 season.

“Without question (Geelong could host an A-League club),” Brown said.

“I don't know the demographic sizes, but I would have thought (we would be up in the same space as) Newcastle, Central Coast (Mariners) and to some degree Wellington.

“It’s a call for the people who make a bid, but we would want to showcase Kardinia Park.

“We would want to showcase the facility and demonstrate not only can it deal with the players with the surface, but it can manage a good crowd.

“I think Geelong is ready. I look forward to meeting those people (behind the bid) and working with them to advance the opportunity of hosting an A-League team down here.”

Those behind Geelong’s A-League push have been happy to remain in the shadows, but have held meetings with FFA to get an gauge on feelings towards expansion into the region.

But there is also competition from cricket with a Geelong consortium also flagging an interest in joining an expanded Big Bash League once its current broadcast rights deal expires.

Brown said it was crucial Simonds Stadium had a summer entertainment offering for the community.

“Government has recognised the value of regional Victoria in terms of major events,” he said

“It’s highlighted Geelong as one of those with cricket and soccer and other things that go on.

“We have just got to keep taking that opportunity to move things out of Melbourne and will benefit a huge community.

“The Trust now, as it takes over from council, has to work with the (Geelong Football Club) to make sure we have a winter and a summer package that makes everybody happy.”

Just over 14,000 people walked through the gates for Melbourne Victory’s summer blockbuster against Newcastle last week at Simonds Stadium.

It was the last of Victory’s three game deal for A-League to be played in Geelong.

The ground is also set to host a Twenty20 International next month between Australia and Sri Lanka.

“I intend for us to be ambitious over the next 12 months (with the events we are trying to attract),” Brown said.

“Geelong has had its challenges with business and whatever, but sport has been an integral part in the community.

“To be able to connect the stadium with those over time and play a bigger role for the people of Geelong, I think that’s a really important consideration.”

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/local-sport/kardinia-park-trust-boss-michael-brown-pushes-geelongs-aleague-case/news-story/e755c9e2f2475614e4e58a0eddf3a632
By FullBack4 - 11 Jan 2017 6:09 PM

I just cant see Geelong working, not for a decade or two anyway