Inside Sport

Protection of prospective new members by mods

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2502696.aspx

By Decentric - 21 Mar 2017 10:05 AM

One of the issues that arises is that the mods often say they are constantly in a lose/lose scenario. If they come down harder on aberrant behaviour, they are criticised. If they are more lenient they are criticised.  Mods lose either way, which is undesirable. 

It has come to my attention from communication with a mod, that there are many lurkers on 442 who are too intimidated to post. This is bad. 

This forum definitely needs new blood.  We have lost 20-40 odd  good posters who used to constructively discuss football since changing to Inside Sport - Thupercoach, Ton Of Bricks, Canehdrian, Eastern Glory, U4442282, Neanderthal, Cool Cat, Aussiesrus, etc, etc, appear to have left. They haven't been adequately  replaced in terms of quantity of quality.  

A few years back when there was a direct access from 442 articles, there was a peak. There was a constant influx of new members. Some ongoing animosities were minimised by posters encountering each other less often. The new blood often provides new perspectives - hence greater diversity in discussion.

I for one would support mods being harsher on behaviour deemed as bullying new members. An influx  of new posters, maybe more sensitive ones, would create  a bigger, better forum. I suppose with the advent  of the mute system it could minimise trollers' and bullies' influence for more sensitive members. 

In the weighting of argument by creating greater freedom of speech, as opposed to excessive intervention for aberrant behaviour, I'd suggest the latter course of action by mods in order to grow the forum.

The axiom of the forum in the rules is respond to the idea, not attack the person. In football parlance, play the ball not the man, if you will.

It must be a tough job moderating, but I'd prefer to see a heavier handed approach to induce new thinner - skinned/sensitive members' participation on the forum.

Thoughts? 
By LFC. - 5 Jun 2019 11:41 AM

yer well, from watching I see some posters/members are no better at times.
What is occurring is not good - if members have issues it not just about pointing at someone but coming up with alternatives as well.
There needs to be just one thread on this matter to get this aired pardon the pun/resolved amongst members and not for casuals/guests/anonymous imo.