Inside Sport

Money ball - bring back the ratbags

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2595750.aspx

By John Doe - 17 Nov 2017 5:07 PM

Hypothesis - The game in many countries is boring and predictable because we are excluding a major group of young footballers - the ratbags.

In a world of political correctness scouts now say things like - 'we look for attitude', 'we look for posture', 'we see what kind of family they are from'...

And they it like they are schoolmasters who know things that we don't..(self righteous)

Subtext - we look for kids that will fit in, we look for kids that have buy in, we look for kids that don't cause trouble....

Maybe just maybe we should be ding the opposite

Show me the kid with attitude (maybe he is courageous and questions authority), show me the kid who doesn't accept the system, show me the kid that thinks for himself, show me the kid with swagger....

Can we then manage these kids, turn their swagger and confidence into onfield performance? Or are clubs and scouts looking for an easy path producing hundreds of tom cruise types...

Think of this list

Paul Gascoigne
George Best
David Beckham
Diego Maradona
Paulo Dicanio
Ibrahimovic
Cantona
Mersen
Higuita

All awesome, all larger than life Ratbags

Would these players get a look in these days? How many of these young players are we missing out on?

The English team is so bloody boring - how could they do with a Gazza now?

Its like those singing shows - we have judges telling people what they want and yet we don't see acts like the Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan anymore

Bring back the ratbag
By ErogenousZone - 29 Jun 2018 11:05 AM

localstar - 20 Nov 2017 9:43 PM
I guess we did have Kerem Bulut as a rogue ratbag character, but he was quickly hounded out of Australia by various sanctimonious elements....

He had to leave Australia due to his criminality not because of the reason you specified.