Inside Sport

AFC Nations League?

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2599282.aspx

By sokorny - 27 Nov 2017 1:22 PM

What are people's thoughts on the Nations League that UEFA have proposed to replace friendlies (and act as Euro qualifiers to an extent) and would you like something introduced in Asia??

Consider that UEFA nations probably won't be available for friendlies as often in the future, and that CONCACAF is also discussing a Nations League.

I personally think it would be a great idea in Asia (the distance would be the biggest issue). This would especially be great for lower ranked nations and ensuring they get more games and against similar opposition with the potential of promotion (and threat of relegation) ... so not meaningless friendlies or games for stronger teams to simply play to build their confidence (and shatter the lowly ranked teams). I believe some of the smaller nations in Asia play very few games (especially competitive games) too.

I think it would benefit Australia too as we'd face stronger Asian nations mainly and more frequently.

I'd imagine it could double as Asian Cup qualifiers too, and could possibly reduce the length of the World Cup qualification process in the AFC.

As I said I'd imagine the travel would be the killer in Asia though, not sure groups would need to be split by AFC regions too or not (or if a group of 4 then two from west Asia and two from east Asia that way can play two away games not too far apart for the travelling teams).

Do you like the concept of a Nations League in Asia??
By aubgraham - 22 Nov 2018 11:01 PM

I think the basic reason this concepts works generally, is because, not only do you get more 'meaningful' matches, but it also generates more money because the larger (generally more successful) nations get to play each other more often. Smaller nations in UEFA accept this because
a. they are given the chance to reach the highest tier through promotion.
b. winners of lower leagues are given a place at Euro 2020.
(One of Belarus, Georgia, Kosovo and Macedonia will qualify for the Euro 2020 finals)

I think you would need similar carrots for an AFC Nations League to get off the ground (although, if you were to offer a place in the AFC Asian Cup to League D winners, then you would get a team like Nepal or Macau qualifying). Also, given the size of the AFC and the general wealth and football development of its constituent countries, you would probably want to split it East-West (East has 22 teams, West has 25).

As an example:
Leagues A, B and C: 4 division; 3 teams each, 2 West divisions and 2 East divisions
League D: 1 East division of 4 teams; 2 West divisions (1 of 3 teams, 1 of 4 teams)

League A; bottom team relegated (4 teams; 2 West, 2 East)
League B; top team promoted (4 teams; 2 West, 2 East), bottom team relegated (4 teams; 2 West, 2 East)
League C; top team promoted (4 teams; 2 West, 2 East), bottom team relegated (4 teams; 2 West, 2 East)
League D East division; top 2 teams promoted (2 teams)
League D West divisions; top team promoted (2 teams)

While the principle is to give every nation more meaningful matches, if you wanted to save on cost for lowest ranked teams, you could shift a West and East team from Div 4 to Div 3 or 2 (with appropriate adjustments in promotions/relegations). Alternatively, you could reduce cost by making Div 4 a knockout tournament rather than a league.

All that being said, there is probably less demand for this sort of competition across Asia because of the existing regional competitions (e.g. EAFF E-1 Football Championship.) So I don't think we will be seeing this style of competition in Asia soon.