*Official* Celtic Thread: Darkest before the Dawn.

*Official* Celtic Thread: Darkest before the Dawn.

Author
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
safe standing at Parkhead would be excellent, most of the crowd in the lisbon lion stand are on their feet anyway and the crowd are so much more into it when it happens.. Would be able to get away with it as well as the it's legal to implement safe standing in Scotland as opposed to England.

Viennese Vuck

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
back from an absolutely freezing night in arbroath. annoyed that it was only 1-0 but Arbroath played out of their skin. Must be said though that it was some of the most fun i've had in years standing in actual terraces again in a packed out stadium of 5k.

On that note, Sounds like we're fully behind converting part of Celtic Park into a Standing Zone.

Not sure how UEFA will feel about that.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
back from an absolutely freezing night in arbroath. annoyed that it was only 1-0 but Arbroath played out of their skin. Must be said though that it was some of the most fun i've had in years standing in actual terraces again in a packed out stadium of 5k.

On that note, Sounds like we're fully behind converting part of Celtic Park into a Standing Zone.

Would probably do the same thing that Dortmund do. Have it as standing for league games and able to be converted to all seater for European games.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:

Would probably do the same thing that Dortmund do. Have it as standing for league games and able to be converted to all seater for European games.

That's correct, This is what was displayed around SPL grounds early this year:

This is the article that's raised the discussion again.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

The whole issue is a big story here at the moment and the only thing holding it back is the sob stories coming from the Hillsborough lobby. Honestly they demand thousands of new reports and inquisitions and then blatantly refuse to read the findings when it said that it was south yorkshire police, over filled stands and cages where the cause of the deaths and not Standing itself

Viennese Vuck

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

One leads to the other. Controlling the crowd is a lot easier when they have allocated seating.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

I was watching a Jimmy Carr routine tonight, live in Glasgow. Someone in the audience actually shouts out "Old Firm day is Domestic Violence day". Must be a Rangers fan.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
I was watching a Jimmy Carr routine tonight, live in Glasgow. Someone in the audience actually shouts out "Old Firm day is Domestic Violence day". Must be a Rangers fan.
Seeing as though Rangers have won most of them in the past 25 years ( and more )i would say he was a tarrier.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

:lol: really? Since 2000 Celtic have been dominant.

30 celtic wins, 19 Rangers wins, 9 draws.

So I wouldn't count on it chuckles.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
:lol: really? Since 2000 Celtic have been dominant.

30 celtic wins, 19 Rangers wins, 9 draws.

So I wouldn't count on it chuckles.
I said 25 years not 12 ffs
Anyways, it is Rfc 52 , Cfc 47 in this time " chuckles " !!!
Overall it's Rfc 159 , Cfc. 144 chuckles ;)

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Well if we're perfectly honest, a video made in 2011 isn't really impacted by events 25 years ago.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
Well if we're perfectly honest, a video made in 2011 isn't really impacted by events 25 years ago.
Only in your head !
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Soccernet wrote:
Celtic have announced a three-year shirt sponsorship deal with Magners.

The deal will come into place at the beginning of next season, with the cider brand set to replace Tennent's Lager as the club's main sponsor.

"On behalf of everyone at Celtic, I am delighted to welcome Magners as the club's new shirt sponsor," Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell said.

"This partnership is magnificent news, not only for Celtic but also for Scottish football. We are proud to be successfully leading Scottish football at home and in Europe."

Extra money is always nice, but I'm glad it looks like we've finally moved away from dual sponsorship with Rangers. The old firm is dead, this just continues to prove it.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

lol Magners is awful.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
lol Magners is awful.

So was/is Tennents apparently. Doesn't matter. Lots of talk going around before this announcement that we were going to sign a sponsorship with Guiness. That would have been awesome :lol:
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Anagram of magners = GERSMAN or GERMAN if you wish, I prefer the first one ! Lol

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR wrote:
Anagram of magners = GERSMAN or GERMAN if you wish, I prefer the first one ! Lol

:lol: That's actually pretty good.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Funky Munky wrote:
Soccernet wrote:
Celtic have announced a three-year shirt sponsorship deal with Magners.

The deal will come into place at the beginning of next season, with the cider brand set to replace Tennent's Lager as the club's main sponsor.

"On behalf of everyone at Celtic, I am delighted to welcome Magners as the club's new shirt sponsor," Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell said.

"This partnership is magnificent news, not only for Celtic but also for Scottish football. We are proud to be successfully leading Scottish football at home and in Europe."

Extra money is always nice, but I'm glad it looks like we've finally moved away from dual sponsorship with Rangers. The old firm is dead, this just continues to prove it.
I am with you on this one, but magners and tennents are both owned by the C & C group, so technically sponsored by the the same company.

Edited by SUTHERLANDBEAR: 11/1/2013 09:15:47 PM
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
I am with you on this one, but magners and tennents are both owned by the C & C group, so technically sponsored by the the same company.

I think the Tennents sponsorship pre-dates the C&C acquisition of the Tennents brewery.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR wrote:

True. But I think you'll agree that it was never so much about the company behind it, but the fact that we had the same logo that always rubbed fans the wrong way. A step in the right direction in any case.
tbitm
tbitm
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Felt Celtic should've got a point today. Such an unlucky deflection late in the game is a disheartening way to lose. But if we are to win any games this campaign we need to find other ways to get goals other than cross after cross which I don't think we got on the end of all game.

BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Could have been worse. We could have been Ajax:)

Times like now one should take the wise guidance of Eric Idle:) ,...

"And...always look on the bright side of life...
:-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-"
Always look on the light side of life..."
:-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-"

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Eh, another Honorable away loss. It's frustrating, that we show we can match it with these teams, but just lack that final killer touch, and are forced to play park the bus for 90 minutes to get results.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Reviving it. We got Dinamo Zagreb, Astra Giurgiu and the pigs at Red Bull Salzburg. All tough trips and we'll do well to get through with the way we are playing. On a positive note, from what i've heard from my mates in Spain, Stefan Šćepović is a good buy.

Viennese Vuck

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Fixed up the Squad list and Kits on the first post.

It's definitely a group we should be getting out of. But I've said that about a lot of our games so far this season, and we all know how those have gone.

A16Man
A16Man
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

Really happy to see Craig Gordon's back
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Revealed: Rangers' troubles have cost Celtic £10m a year, reveals Parkhead chief exec Peter Lawwell

PETER LAWWELL last night laid bare the true cost to Celtic of Rangers’ demise as an eye-watering £10million a season.

The chief executive spoke out in the wake of criticism following the Champions League exit at the hands of Slovenians Maribor.

And as he outlined the economic reality of their current plight, he insisted the Ibrox side’s share issue struggles should be ringing alarm bells for everyone over the lack of investment in the Scottish game.

Lawwell launched a stout defence of his club’s strategy in yesterday’s papers. But today in MailSport, he goes into further detail about the damage the absence of the Old Firm has done.

He said: “In terms of Scotland, we have done better than everybody in keeping our standards and keeping our level.

“That is hugely difficult in the present environment.

“The lost money which Rangers, and now Hearts and Hibs, have taken out of the game, has been made up from profit from selling players. Our revenues have stayed the same from selling players to make up for those lost millions.

"But when Rangers went down we took £100 off season tickets. So that is £4m for two years. The Rangers games, at least another £3m.

“Then there’s a perception among our supporters that there is no competition, you are going to win anyway and you don’t go to the game. So it could be £10m.

Celtic have been hit in the pocket by the loss of Old Firm derbies

“We could have lost £10m a year, quite easily, on the back of Rangers going down. How we have coped with that is seeing that ahead and keeping that strategy of being successful on the park, stable off it.

“Hearts and Rangers have gone bust and yet we are still getting it.”

Rangers’ statement to the stock exchange on Friday outlined the depth of their former rivals’ difficulties.

And Lawwell confessed: “It does concern me and shows the challenges we face. They couldn’t raise £10m, they are going out for £4m, therefore there is a chronic lack of investment in the Scottish game.

“If Rangers can’t do it, who CAN do it? I’m wary of being pessimistic and talking the game down but these are facts that are not good signs.

“It’s difficult. With the uncertainties, the risk. We don’t think we are God’s gift, we don’t think the strategy is flawless.

“Of course it is flawed because it is football and it is chance. Karagandy last year, they hit the bar. Maribor this year, Callum McGregor’s shot might not have hit the bar.

“In football you have to prepare for being fallible. Which we have done.”

Lawwell also revealed the reason behind his club’s inaction when it came to signing Scottish talent.

Fans have expressed frustration at the likes of Stevie May, Ryan Gauld, Andy Robertson and Johnny Russell all Moving away at good prices while Celtic have been spending on the likes of Teemu Pukki and Amido Balde.

However, the chief exec said: “We’d love to have Scottish players. It’s better having Scottish players. But our guys don’t think they are good enough.

“A Scottish player would be a priority if it’s right. It’s not like we are fascinated with going foreign all the time.”

Lawwell revealed Celtic currently have 38,000 season tickets and 2000 corporate seats sold.

Their biggest problem now, in the absence of Europe’s elite coming to town, is keeping them.

He said: “Going back over the last two years, what invigorated our fans was the Champions League. That got them going to the games.”

Viennese Vuck

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Lawell's point on needing to sell players to make up for lost revenues is valid enough. Staying in the black must always be priority number one. However if we are no longer interested in spending to replace players then we need the academy to stop pumping out shite and actually get some quality players coming through.

Viennese Vuck

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Quote:
Celtic deal to sign Stefan Scepovic from Sporting Gijon is off

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has confirmed the deal to bring Sporting Gijon striker Stefan Scepovic to the club is off.

The 24-year-old was on the verge of joining the Scottish champions on a four-year deal following talks last week.

Scepovic arranged for the relevant paperwork from the Serbian embassy in Paris on Friday, 24 hours before passing a medical.

However, the forward appears to have changed his decision to move to Glasgow in the last 48 hours.

Lawwell said: “We were just at the point of signing the contract, he’d got his work permit, he’d gone to Paris on Friday to have an appointment with the embassy, which went well. The plan was he was going to go back and pick it up today.

“He passed his medical on Saturday. I spoke to him on his way back from his medical on Saturday afternoon and everything was fine.

“So we were bitterly disappointed and we don’t understand it.”

When it rains, it pours.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Funky Munky wrote:
Quote:
Celtic deal to sign Stefan Scepovic from Sporting Gijon is off

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has confirmed the deal to bring Sporting Gijon striker Stefan Scepovic to the club is off.

The 24-year-old was on the verge of joining the Scottish champions on a four-year deal following talks last week.

Scepovic arranged for the relevant paperwork from the Serbian embassy in Paris on Friday, 24 hours before passing a medical.

However, the forward appears to have changed his decision to move to Glasgow in the last 48 hours.

Lawwell said: “We were just at the point of signing the contract, he’d got his work permit, he’d gone to Paris on Friday to have an appointment with the embassy, which went well. The plan was he was going to go back and pick it up today.

“He passed his medical on Saturday. I spoke to him on his way back from his medical on Saturday afternoon and everything was fine.

“So we were bitterly disappointed and we don’t understand it.”

When it rains, it pours.

Sky Sports News now reporting Šćepović has had ANOTHER change of mind and has signed a four year contract. Pukki has fucked off on loan to Brøndy IF on Loan.

Viennese Vuck

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search