*Official* Celtic Thread: Darkest before the Dawn.

*Official* Celtic Thread: Darkest before the Dawn.

Author
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have to say, seeing him live did a little, but not much, to improve my thoughts on Samaras. He works a lot harder than it seems when watching it on TV. However he still suffers from a complete lack of creativity, and vision. Hes playing as a Targetman, but when we gets the ball and holds it up, he barely ends up creating much forward movement with it, and when he pushing forward in possession, he'll often completely miss available through balls and passes because he has his head down.

Really think he has to go.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

He's good physically, but he doesn't read the play well enough to be in the right positions to take advantage of it and be able to lay the ball off to the second striker/attacking midfielder.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

The Article wrote:
HARRY REDKNAPP has assured Neil Lennon that Croat keeper Stipe Pletikosa would be a top signing for Celtic.

The Spurs boss had Spartak Moscow goalie Pletikosa on loan last season.
He only featured once in the Carling Cup, with Heurelho Gomes the No1 at Spurs. But Redknapp said: "Stipe's a great lad and a very good keeper.
"He is very experienced and was unlucky not to play more games, but his lack of action was certainly nothing to do with his ability or attitude.
"I liked him very much and he was a top class boy.
"Stipe could do a great job for Celtic. He's got loads of international caps and would be more than good enough."
Pletikosa, who has 82 caps for Croatia, suffered a cruciate ligament injury two years ago.
But agent Marko Naletilic said: "Stipe's in fantastic physical condition.
"He's NOT going to Celtic on trial. It is only to prove his knee is strong.
"Stipe is a top quality keeper and is excited about the idea of playing for Celtic."
Meanwhile, Emilio Izaguirre will make his return from injury in Celtic's friendly with Partick Thistle today.
The Honduran ace has been out of action since he pulled out of his country's Gold Cup squad with a hamstring problem back in May.
Izaguirre missed Celts' pre-season trip to Australia to stay at Lennoxtown and undergo treatment on the injury.

Really liking the sound of this. Although Zaluska did impress me at the Melbourne game.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Zaluska didn't have all that much to deal with. His kick-ins are too flat for long ball and his set piece co-ordination is poor.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The Article wrote:
Sion-Youngster Mylord Kasai has startet a trial with Celtic Glasgow today. He will train with the reserves until Monday and then perhaps also show his qualities with the first team. Mylord made 19 games for the U-21 of Sion last season and scored 3 goals. Under the guidance and with the advice of our former ex-pro Chris Deans he will try to take this unique chance.

Would sign him just for the name :lol:. Another midfielder though, it's starting to get frustrating that there's nothing firm on the positions we need. Still, he's only young, so I'm not against him coming in as a future talent.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The Article wrote:
TWO international goalkeepers will slug it out at Lennoxtown this week to impress Neil Lennon and become Celtic's number one this season.
Controversial Belgium star Stijn Stijnen and Croatian Stipe Pletikosa are both on trial and desperate to fill the gap left by loanee Fraser Forster's return to Newcastle Utd.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has made the signing of a keeper his priority ahead of the curtain raiser against Hibs on Sunday and with earlier target Craig Gordon out injured at Sunderland until October, Lennon wants to conclude a swift deal.

Thirty year old Stijnen had his contract at Brugge torn up " by mutual agreement " following remarks made on an internet fansite which praised his performances and slated his team-mates

That came after he ended his international career in 2009 after 30 appearances for the Belgians by falling out with no other than Dick Advocaat !

Pletikosa also offers the sort of experience Celtic will need to secure the title from rivals Rangers and further their European ambitions this season.

The 32 year old has been out of favour at Spartak Moscow and was loaned to Spurs last term to make just one Carling Cup appearance.But both men possess a lot of quality and the sort of credentials Lennon is looking for between the posts.

Pole Lukasz Zaluska who is keen to become forst choice keeper and American Dominic Cervi shared the goalkeeping duties in the three-match tour of Australia.

I've not seen much of either, but both are experienced, high level keepers, so would be happy with whichever we get of the 2.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I would much prefer Pletikosa. Top keeper on his day.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Pletikosa would be the safer bet I think
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Yeah, Pletikosa does seem the better option. Apparently he'll be lining up against Cardiff this week, Hopefully he has a good run.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The Article wrote:
Celtic will run the rule over South African striker Katlego Mphela when the player travels to Glasgow for a trial on July 25.

Mphela is currently at Mamelodi Sundowns but is keen to try his luck in Europe again after spells at Strasbourg and Reims six years ago. The player’s agent, Glyn Binkin, revealed that Celtic had offered the player the chance to go to Glasgow on trial, and his club have now confirmed that he will be at Lennoxtown from July 25 to 29.

After a move to Partizan Belgrade fell through earlier this year, an agreement was reached between Mphela and his club that he would be allowed to move for a fee of £1.5 million.

Maccabi Haifa have failed with a transfer bid that failed to match that figure and Dynamo Kiev are also interested in the player. Binkin said that he felt the Ukrainian side and Celtic would both be able to meet the asking price but wanted to take a closer look at the player before taking a bid any further.

"I can confirm that Mphela has an offer for a trial with Glasgow Celtic,” he told NewsTime. “I passed the letter of invitation on to Sundowns in the last 24 hours.

“Maccabi’s best offer was R14.5-million (£1.3 million) but there are other clubs, like Dynamo and Celtic, who could afford as much as R17million (£1.5 million).

“Clubs like that want to be able to see the player before signing, though.

"Katlego’s an unknown quantity in Europe. He played there before but didn’t quite make it the first time, so clubs want him to come on trial first.”

Binkin revealed that he was concerned that Sundowns may stand between the player and a move after revealing that a similar offer of a trial with Dynamo Kiev had been left unanswered. However, Sundowns have now confirmed that they will allow Mphela to try his luck in Glasgow and wished him every success.

I know I said the other day I was disappointed we've only made the one signing, but i am glad Lenny is taking the time to make sure his targets are good enough. This'll be the 4th player on trial I think. Hasn't got that good a record outside of South Africa, but Internationally he's shown up and scored against some top opposition, good be good for us.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Mphela would be a weapon IMO
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

BusbyBabe wrote:
I would much prefer Pletikosa. Top keeper on his day.

Top class keeper for SPL level. Bags of experience, reads the long ball well and communicates well. Definitely celtic's best bet.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The Article wrote:
Free agent goalkeeper Stijn Stijnen has rejected the chance to showcase his skills for Celtic in a friendly.

The 30-year-old is without a side having left Club Brugge in February and he had been interesting Bhoys manager Neil Lennon.
However, the Belgium international has no interest in proving himself in a friendly and is seeking an up-front offer.

"I am Stijn Stijnen," he told Het Laatste Nieuws.

"I've played 30 times for the Belgian national team and in quite a lot European and Champions League games.

"Why should I prove myself in a friendly game?"

His agent Renee Vandermeersch confirmed Stijnen's decision, stating: "Stijn doesn't want a trial period.

"If he signs somewhere the full story has to fit. There is interest for Stijn from foreign clubs, but also Belgian sides."

:lol: Screw him then. Hell of an attitude to have, probably for the best then. Would have complained every time he didn't play.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Group: Moderators
:lol: :No wonder he had a falling out with his last club. I think I read an article describing him as 'controversial'. Seems about right.

Anyway Funky, I thought you liked people being cocky and arrogant :P
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

What a dickhead. Good luck finding a club with that attitude
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

imnofreak wrote:
:lol: :No wonder he had a falling out with his last club. I think I read an article describing him as 'controversial'. Seems about right.

Anyway Funky, I thought you liked people being cocky and arrogant :P

Only when they're actually on my team...then they're fine. :p
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

:lol: what else were you expecting. This is the guy whos family started an anonymous campaign on Club Brugge message boards attacking fellow team members in order to raise his own profile.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

I was honestly surprised when I heard Celtic offered him a trial, they're better off without him for sure.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The Article wrote:
Stokes earns Celtic victory in Cardiff

Pre-season friendly
Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff
Wednesday, July 20, 2011

CARDIFF CITY…0

CELTIC…1
Stokes 34

CELTIC completed their pre-season preparations with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Cardiff City in the Welsh capital.

Anthony Stokes struck the only goal of the match in the first-half, heading Emilio Izaguirre’s cross into the corner of the net.

After that, the Hoops took command against their Championship opponents, leaving trialist goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa with little involvement.

In the latter stages, new Bhoy, Victor Wanyama, came on to make his Hoops bow, capping off a fine evening’s work for Neil Lennon’s side ahead of Sunday’s SPL opener away at Hibernian.

With Scott Brown absent, Joe Ledley was named as captain against his former side. Adam Matthews also started the match, having only left the Bluebirds for the Hoops this summer.

Croatian internationalist, Pletikosa, was also given a chance to impress, with Wanyama named among the substitutes.

Ex Celt, Malky Mackay, was in charge for his first home match as Cardiff manager. Eager to impress their new boss, the hosts began with plenty of gusto.

From Don Cowie’s corner, Aron Gunnarson looped a header against the top of the bar, before Andrew Taylor volleyed over from the edge of the area.

Celtic replied with a stinging low drive from Kris Commons which shaved the post. However, it was the hosts doing the most of the early running and Jonathan Parkin passed up a golden chance to open the scoring, breaching Celtic’s offside trap but blazing his shot wide.

Gradually the Hoops grew in ascendency, though, and a brave header from Stokes brought out a smart save from ex-Celt David Marshall.

The Irishman was proving the visitors’ most dangerous operator and he came close again with a curling free-kick from 25 yards following a foul on Ki.

And in the 34th minute, the striker put the Hoops ahead. Emilio Izaguirre, making a welcome return to the first-team after injury, was the supplier, sending over a wonderful delivery from the left which Stokes headed into the far corner past the despairing dive of Marshall.

At the other end, Pletikosa had seen little involvement. It took until the 41st minute for his first save of note, snaffling Joe Mason’s shot at the second attempt.

The Hoops began more brightly after the interval, forcing several corners and Izaguirre blasting over from the edge of the area.

Slick link-up play between Hooper and Stokes inside the box saw the former find the target with a low shot only to be denied by Marshall.

Both sides then made a string of changes yet that failed to halt the Hoops’ momentum.

Fastening onto a loose header, Hooper left Mark Hudson trailing in his wake but dragged his shot wide from a tight angle.

And with the Welsh side tiring, it was increasingly one-way traffic. Substitute Charlie Mulgrew saw his header edge past the far post from Izaguirre’s free-kick before Shaun Maloney was denied a late goal by a block after spinning in the box.

The final whistle confirmed Celtic’s third win on the spin, sending the visiting support home happy and ensuring Lennon’s men go into Sunday’s clash at Easter Road with plenty of confidence.

CELTIC (4-4-2) Pletikosa; Matthews (M. Wilson 56) K. Wilson (Majstorovic 56), Loovens (Mulgrew 68) Izaguirre; Commons, Kayal (Wanyama 75) Ki (Forrest 56) Ledley; Hooper, Stokes (Maloney 75)
Not Used: Zaluska

CARDIFF CITY (4-4-2) Marshall (Santiago 60); McNaughton (Jarvis 81) Hudson
(Gypes 75), Gerrard (Farah 60) Naylor (Keinan 60); Cowie, Gunnarson (Tawio), Whittingham, Taylor; Parkin (Evans 81), Mason (Wildig 87)
Not Used:, Heaton, Blake
Website Man of the Match: Kelvin Wilson
Attendance: 10,276

BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Going to watch this game later today.

All done, now for the season.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

BusbyBabe wrote:
Going to watch this game later today.

All done, now for the season.

Sort of:p. One game against Hibs and then another 2 weeks of friendlies.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

Don't know where I got that from, the first line says completed the pre season probably did it to me.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

BusbyBabe wrote:
Don't know where I got that from, the first line says completed the pre season probably did it to me.

Well technically it's true, because yeah, the game against Hibs this weekend is a League Match. But then we have 2 weeks till the next one, and some more friendlies against Wolves, Inter, Swansea, and then the season proper starts. Very weird fixturing.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

Yeh I knew the season started early and I knew we were playing Inter so it all threw me. Very weird indeed.
MaxiiGCU
MaxiiGCU
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

That's some pretty strange scheduling.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Funky Munky wrote:
BusbyBabe wrote:

Well technically it's true, because yeah, the game against Hibs this weekend is a League Match. But then we have 2 weeks till the next one, and some more friendlies against Wolves, Inter, Swansea, and then the season proper starts. Very weird fixturing.

Don't forget that there's an international break in there somewhere too.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The Article wrote:
Celtic have stepped up their search for a new number one by making an offer to take highly-rated Polish goalkeeper Grzegorz Sandomierski on trial.

The 21-year-old, who has already forced himself into Poland’s national team, is also attracting interest from Everton.

But Neil Lennon, who fielded trialist Stipe Pletikosa in his side’s 1-0 friendly win over Cardiff City on Wednesday night, could now swoop to bring the Jagiellonia Bialystok keeper to Glasgow.

Jagiellonia Bialystok’s chief executive, Cezary Kulesza confirmed to the Polish press on Wednesday that Sandomierski was subject to an offer of a trial from the SPL side. But he said any request would not be granted until the two sides could agree on a possible transfer fee.

“We have received a request for Grzegorz from Celtic,” Kulezsa told sports.pl. “We have replied that Grzesiek may appear in Scotland on trial, but provided that we hear first what their transfer proposal may be.

“We are waiting for a response. Grzegorz had trials at Everton and we are also waiting for a concrete offer from them.”

Sandomierski made his club debut in 2007 on loan at Lech II Poznan, before returning in the same year to establish himself as Jagiellonia’s first choice.

A further loan spell at Second League side Ruch Wysokie Mazowieckie followed in 2009, before the Under-21 international made the breakthrough into the Poland national team. The 6ft 5in keeper now has three caps for his country.

Celtic's current goalkeeping options are Sandomierski's compatriot Lukasz Zaluska and American Dominic Cervi, following the summer of departure of on-loan keeper Fraser Forster, who returned to Newcastle United.

We've already had success with Polish keepers, of course with Artur, and Zaluska being decent. Sounds like promising prospect. Pletikosa didn't get much to do in the friendly against Cardiff, so it sounds like the jury is still out. Best case scenario in my mind is getting both. Get Pletikosa in short term, a season or two tutoring this kid, and then he can step up once Pletikosa retires/is forced out.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Pletikosa still has the better part of 5 years left in him though.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Really happy with all of our kits this season, hope the Home kit lives up to the standard.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

What sort of team do you think we will see Funky. Pretty sure Brown has a suspension that carries over to this season. Think Wilson might get the nod over Loovens.

--Zaluska--
--M.Wilson--K.Wilson-- Majstorovic--Izaguirre

--Commons--Kayal--Ki--Ledley--

--Stokes--Hooper--

Either Ledley or Commons on the left unless Paddy is fit. Maybe Forrest ahead of Commons.

Edited by busbybabe: 24/7/2011 05:07:19 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search