*Official* Celtic Thread: Darkest before the Dawn.

*Official* Celtic Thread: Darkest before the Dawn.

Author
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So I was sitting in class earlier today, and was thinking about our Starting XI, coz I was in an FM mood and the class was boring:p. Anyway, I came upon a bit of an epiphany/realisation. I don't think our best XI includes Scott Brown. I don't think he has the technical ability to match Ki, Kayal or Ledley, and as such, I don't think he should start. Personally I'd have our best XI as:

ST: Hooper
ST: Stokes
ML: Commons
MC: Ki
MC: Kayal
MR: Forrest
DL: Izzy
DC: K.Wilson
DC: Rogne
DR: M.Wilson
GK: Zaluska

S1: Cervi
S2: Matthews
S3: Mulgrew
S4: Brown
S5: Ledley
S6: Maloney
S7: Samaras

That is of course, assuming full fitness, and from our current squad. I'd want to replace Stokes with a big Target Man who isn't Samaras, and obviously Zaluska. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how our squad is atm, and the depth we have. But back to Brown, I see him more as an impact player off the bench, because that's what he can do, run hard and fast, but IMO, he's not good enough to start.

Thought I'd bring it up and get some thoughts.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

From a purely football point of view I would agree but he does add a little more than just technical ability. I would also have Commons and Forrest out wide by a personal favourite of mine is Paddy and love it when he is on the pitch. No room for Majstorovic?
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Yeah, his influence as captain is undeniable, which is the only thing that stops it from being an open and shut case. Agree with Commons and Forrest being wide players, and that's what I meant them to be in that formation, wingers, but not too far forward they have to be carried by the team. I love Paddy as well, but I just don't know where I'd fit him in. Maybe on the bench ahead of Maloney.

I spose with Maj, the pair I have as CB are more future orientated. Maj should be in and around the squad this season, and will probably start more often than not, but at 34, we'd be looking at phasing him out this season I think.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I think Forrest will be better as an impact player this year, with Brown starting at RM. Forrest has great attributes to come on and change a game.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

The only problem I have with that is that Browny isn't a true winger, but Forrest is. With Forrest and Commons running down the wings, supported by Izzy and Wilson, we'd be near unstoppable down the flanks.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Celtic Website wrote:
Celtic's Irishmen put Airtricity League XI to the sword
By: Laura Brannan on 31 Jul, 2011 15:54
31 July 2011
Dublin Super Cup
Aviva Stadium

CELTIC 5
(Stokes 38, Murphy pen 70, Hooper 83, 85, Stokes 87)

AIRTRICITY LEAGUE XI 0

TWO of Celtic’s Irishmen made the difference against Airtricity League XI, scoring three of the goals in a comfortable 5-0 victory to close their participation in the Dublin Super Cup.

Anthony Stokes opened and closed the scoring with a goal in each half, with Daryl Murphy also striking on his homeland.

A late Gary Hooper double brought a dramatic end to the match, but it wasn't enough to secure the trophy, with Manchester City going on to lift it later in the afternoon.

Less than 24 hours after match one, Neil Lennon led his side into the tournament’s second and final encounter against the League of Ireland select.

And he named an entirely different side to the one which started against Inter Milan, giving Victor Wanyama his second start and Darren O’Dea his first since returning from his loan spell at Ipswich Town last season.

There was a subdued start to the game with the first shot on target not coming until 11 minutes when Airtricity’s Daniel Kearns forced Dominic Cervi into a low save.

Wanyama attempted to bring Celtic into the game with a long-range effort five minutes later but he couldn’t keep it on target. It proved to be one of the few chances in front of goal until the half hour mark when Celtic got themselves into the game.

Paddy McCourt had an effort blocked 12-yards out before Anthony Stokes unleashed a volley from the edge of the box with his first touch. But the Dubliner didn’t need to wait long for his next chance in front of goal, and this time he was able to put it into the back of the net.

On 38 minutes, Daryl Murphy turned away from Ryan McBride and charged into the box. Playing the ball back to Stokes, he put Celtic ahead with his first touch, slotting it under the keeper with the inside of his right foot.

The Hoops went into the break a goal ahead and started the second-half in encouraging style. Murphy charged into the box optimistically before Wanyama attempted another long-range effort.

Airtricity had a good opportunity to draw level five minutes after the re-start when former Celt Danny Lafferty strode up from his left-back position to force Cervi into a save.

Stokes, who was looking hungry whenever he was on the ball, then timed his run into the box well. As he turned to make a pass back to Gary Hooper, though, he was blocked on the byline.

He then showed delightful skill at the corner flag when he made a back-pass through his marker’s legs and sent a cross into the box. It wasn’t followed through though as it missed Hooper’s head and was cleared before Muprhy could get onto the end of it.

Celtic went on to secure the victory in the 70th minute when Murphy calmly converted a penalty into the bottom right corner. The decision was awarded after Danny Ventrae handled the ball inside the box, and the Irishman continued his 100 percent record from spot by doubling the Hoops’ lead.

Eight minutes later Stokes had another good effort to add to his, and Celtic's, tally, chesting the ball down and striking it from the edge of the box, but it fell just past the far post.

A Hooper double inside the last ten minutes began an exciting end to the match. The striker ran onto a Kris Commons pass on 83 minutes to slot it into the far corner, before knocking it home from 12-yards just two minutes later.

Stokes then rounded off his sublime performance with a wonderful goal, three minutes from time. Collecting a pass from Paddy McCourt just inside the box, he turned and cracked his effort in off the left upright, with Celtic finishing the match 5-0 winners.

CELTIC (4-4-2): Cervi; Matthews (84), Majstorovic, O’Dea, F Twardzik; McCourt, Wanyama, Towell (Commons 58), Murphy; Hooper, Stokes
Subs not used: Zaluska, Loovens, Maloney

AIRTICITY LEAGUE XI (4-4-2): Doherty (B Murphy 46); Heary, Price, McBride, Kearns (McClean 74), Gamble, Lafferty, Bennett (Russell 55), McGlynn (Dillon 33), Byrne (McLaughlin 68), Ventrae (Kavanagh 79)
Subs not used: D Murphy, O’Brien, Zayed, Higgins, Molloy, McEleney

Website man of the match: Anthony Stokes

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

So Pletikosa and Mphela have both been sent home from their trials, neither earned themselves a contract. Interesting to see where we go with regards to a keeper now. Meanwhile:

The Scottish Sun wrote:
NEIL LENNON last night revealed talks have begun with Manchester City over a stunning swoop for Craig Bellamy.
Celtic boss Lenny wanted to use the Dublin Super Cup to corner Bellamy about returning to Parkhead. But the striker didn't travel but Lennon admitted negotiations took place between both clubs as Celtic try to land City's frozen-out £80,000-a-week hitman.
It's understood Celts majority shareholder Dermot Desmond and City chief executive Garry Cook played golf last Friday.
Now the Celts gaffer hopes both parties can make serious progress in the next few days to pull off the signing of the summer.
He said: "I didn't make in-roads with Craig, but the clubs have been working on it in the background. Hopefully we'll know more later in the week.
"I haven't spoken about the wage side of things yet, but there were conversations about it between both clubs."

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Celtic Website wrote:
Martin O'Neill returns to Paradise

MARTIN O’NEILL will be back in the home dugout at Celtic Park for next week’s Legends game. And if the reception the former Hoops players will get from the fans will be a warm one, then the former Celtic boss is guaranteed a welcome that will raise the roof at Paradise.

Martin will manage the Celtic Legends team against Manchester United, and he’ll be re-united with many of the players who worked under him at the club between 2000 and 2005, including Henrik Larsson, Chris Sutton, Johan Mjallby, Alan Thompson, Didier Agathe, John Hartson and, of course, the man currently in the Celtic Park hot-seat – Neil Lennon.

During those five years in charge of Celtic, Martin O’Neill won three SPL titles, three Scottish Cups and a League Cup.

And among the many European highlights of that era was, of course, the 2002/03 UEFA Cup campaign, which saw the Hoops reach the UEFA Cup final in Seville, where they were unlucky to lose after extra-time to Porto.

When Martin O’Neill was appointed Celtic manager, he spoke to the fans gathered outside the front of the stadium and promised them that he would do everything he could to bring success to the football club.

He certainly did that, and supporters remain grateful for everything Martin and his players did for Celtic during that incredible five-year spell. And the Irishman will be welcomed back home as a true Celtic legend.

Really looking forward to this match, tis going to be a great night.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

A lot of my family is making the trip for this one. It is going to be a great occasion.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Re: the team at the top of the page, I'd have Ledley in there ahead of Forrest, but that's just me.

If celtic stay injury free, the title is as good as theirs.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

:lol: Rangers drew 1-1 with Malmo this morning, so lost 2-1 on aggregate. :lol: :lol:
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

See Whittaker's red card lol.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Whittaker, what a knob:lol:. Bougherra getting sent off in his last ever Rangers match is full of lol's too. Sums him up fantastically.

So another Day, and night with no transfer movement at all. Starting to empathise with Seriously...
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Celtic Website wrote:
Glenn Loovens out for up to six weeks

GLENN Loovens will be out of action for up to six weeks after he sustained an injury to his left hamstring at training on Tuesday.

It's a blow to Neil Lennon's side and the Dutch defender, who had played alongside Kelvin Wilson in the centre of the Celtic defence in the 2-0 victory over Hibernian on the opening day of the SPL season.

Shouldn't miss him too much, don't really rate him. Hopefully Maj, Wilson, Rogne and/or Mulgrew get a chance to step up and cement first teams spots.

Edited by Funky Munky: 4/8/2011 03:42:50 PM
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:

So another Day, and night with no transfer movement at all. Starting to empathise with Seriously...

:lol:

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Quote:
Young Boys
Nacional Funchal
Hannover 96
FC Sochaux-Montbéliard
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
Trabzonspor
Bursaspor
Vitória Guimarães
Helsingborg IF
Karpaty Lviv
CSKA Sofia
Vorskla Poltava
FC Vaslui
FC Sion
Red Star Belgrade
Alania Vladikavkaz
Litex Lovech
Hearts FC
FC Nordsjælland
Olympiakos
Slovan Bratislava
NK Maribor
HJK Helsinki
Ekranas Panevezys
FC Zestafoni
Shamrock Rovers
AEK Larnaca
Aalesunds BK
SV Ried
Spartak Trnava
Dinamo Tbilisi
Gaz Metan
Legia Warsaw
FC Thun
Slask Wroclaw
Maccabi Tel Aviv
AC Omonia
Rabotnicki

Not 100% if this is up to date, but this is the list of our potential opponents for the Europa League Qualifying. Some tough ties in there, but in all honesty, we should be beating all of those sides.
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

Any result away from home should be enough to see them through.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

BusbyBabe wrote:
Any result away from home should be enough to see them through.

Don't like our chances :P
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

I'd hope to avoid the Turkish sides mainly.
Apart from that, should be fine
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

Draw Shamrock Rovers :lol:
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

FC Sion baby.

YEEW
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Not a bad draw!
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

They should go through easily, but this is Celtic...
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Sky Sports wrote:
There is an all British clash in the Europa League final qualifying round after Hearts were paired with Tottenham.

The group stages beckon for the winners of the qualifying matches, but at least one of the British teams will definitely bow out.

Hearts host Harry Redknapp's Tottenham in the first leg on 18th August, before the return leg at White Hart Lane seven days later.

Elsewhere, both Celtic and Stoke face trips to Switzerland as they were drawn to play Sion and FC Thun, respectively.

Rangers drop into the Europa League after their UEFA Champions League defeat in midweek, and they face another side who tasted defeat on Wednesday in the shape of Slovenia's Maribor.

Fulham's already lengthy Europa League journey continues as they face a tricky looking task against Ukraine's Dnipro.

Championship side Birmingham come up against Portuguese opposition as they will take on Nacional over two legs.

Irish side Shamrock Rovers look to have a daunting task on their hands as they will face Serbian giants Partizan Belgrade.

Feel a little for Hearts, only because I was hoping all 3 Scottish sides would make it through. That said, Spurs are just gonna ignore Europe, so they might be a chance. Should be able to get past Scion pretty easily, but we've always done out best to make easy ties look hard.

Sky Sports wrote:
Team news ahead of Sunday's Scottish Premier League clash between Aberdeen and Celtic at Pittodrie (kick-off 12.15pm).

Ryan Jack serves the second game of his two-match ban for Aberdeen following his red card for serious foul play against St Johnstone.

Chris Clark (knee), Youl Mawene(hamstring) and Fraser Fyvie (groin) are all doubtful.

Scott Brown serves the second of a two-match ban for Celtic, who are also missing defenders Glenn Loovens (hamstring), Thomas Rogne (calf) and Mark Wilson (hip) are out.

Aberdeen (from): Gonzalez, Foster, Considine, Arnason, Robertson, Magennis, Paton, Milsom, Osbourne, Pawlett, Megginson, Vernon, Low , Mackie, Jason Brown, McArdle, Jordan Brown, Fraser, Clark, Mawene, Fyvie.

Celtic (from): Zaluska, Matthews, K Wilson, Cha, Majstorovic, Izaguirre, Ki, Wanyama, Kayal, Maloney, Mulgrew, Commons, Ledley, Forrest, Samaras, McCourt, Stokes, Hooper, Cervi.

Would like to see;
------------Zaluska------------
Izzy----K.Wilson---Madge----Cha
Commons---Ki----Kayal---Forrest
--------Stokes---Hooper--------
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Feel a little for Hearts, only because I was hoping all 3 Scottish sides would make it through. That said, Spurs are just gonna ignore Europe, so they might be a chance. Should be able to get past Scion pretty easily, but we've always done out best to make easy ties look hard.

CAn't be any worse than Gers :-"

Hearts won't make it through. Even with spurs not worrying about Europe, they still have a reputation to keep up.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

BBC Sport wrote:
Poland international Gregorz Sandomierski has been confirmed as a possible target for Celtic as they look for a new first-choice goalkeeper.

The Jagellonia Bialystok player's agent told BBC Scotland earlier this week that Celtic were one of five clubs looking at the 21-year-old.

But Lennon was reluctant to be drawn about the strength of his interest.

"We have expressed an interest in the player, but that's as far as it's gone at the minute," said the manager.

Last season's first choice, Fraser Forster, returned to Newcastle United at the end of his loan spell at Celtic Park.

And questions have been asked about the quality of understudies Lukasz Zaluska, another Poland international, and American Dominic Cervi after their performances during pre-season.

Stipe Pletikosa, the Croat who was on loan to Tottenham Hotspur from Spartak Moscow last term, was on trial during pre-season.

Reports had suggested that Celtic also wanted Sandomierski's to have a trial before making a final decision.

However, his representative, Radoslaw Osuch, insisted that clubs would have to pay a fee based on the Poland international's performances with his club.

"He will not be going on trial anywhere," said Osuch after Jagiellonia began their domestic season with a 2-2 away to Podbeskidzie.

"Celtic had a representative watching him on Monday night.

"There are five clubs looking at the player."

Sandomierski has already played in this season's Europa League as Jagellonia, who finished fourth in Poland's top flight, suffering a surprise defeat by Kazakh outfit Irtysh Pavlodar.

Could finally be some movement this transfer window. The Scottish Sun apparently reporting tomorrow that we've actually placed a bid. This bloke and Forster seem to be our main targets, with Alex McCarthy from Reading the backup option. Would like to take this guy first if it comes down between him and Forster.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Celtic XI: Zaluska; Matthews, K Wilson, Majstorovic, Izaguirre; Commons, Kayal, Ki, Ledley; Hooper & Stokes
Celtic subs: Cervi, Mulgrew, Samaras, Forrest, Maloney, Wanyama & McCourt
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend

Tough game but should have enough epsecially with Ki and Kayal playing well.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

Very happy with that 11.
Optajoe- Celtic have won 22 of their last 25 SPL meetings with Aberdeen, losing just one of them. Dominance.

That should continue tonight

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Celticfc.net wrote:
Stokes strikes to give Hoops victory

Scottish Premier League
Pittodrie, Aberdeen
Sunday, August 7, 2011

ABERDEEN…0

CELTIC…1
(Stokes 74)

ANTHONY Stokes was the hero for Celtic as they returned to league duty with a dominant 1-0 victory over Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

The Irishman coolly slotted home Kris Commons’ low pass in the second-half, rewarding the Hoops for their persistence after they had failed to convert a plethora of chances beforehand.

Predictably, there were several changes from the team which took on Swansea City, the last of four friendlies since the opening day win over Hibernian, with the likes of Lukasz Zaluska, Ki and Stokes returning to the starting XI.

Showing little sign of rustiness on resuming competitive action, the Hoops started at a brisk pace, zipping the ball around with some purpose. A venomous effort from Commons forced David Gonzalez into action.

Collecting a clearance from a corner, Beram Kayal then fired over from the edge of the box.

A determined burst down the right from Peter Pawlett sparked the Dons into life, the move culminating with Isaac Osbourne dragging a shot wide of the near post.

Still, with Commons, Gary Hooper and Stokes linking up well in the attacking third, Celtic remained the more menacing. Another passing sequence ended with Ki’s rising effort finding the back of the stand.

However, Lennon’s men suffered a blow on the quarter-hour mark as Emilio Izaguirre had to leave the field on a stretcher after a challenge from Pawlett near the byline. A chorus of jeers greeted the introduction of former Don, Charlie Mulgrew, as his replacement.

After taking several minutes adjusting to the change, Celtic pressed forward once more. Ki combined with Commons then saw his low shot deflected for a corner, before Kayal’s powerful drive from 18 yards arrowed narrowly over.

Kelvin Wilson took matters into his own hands, striding out of defence, skipping past one challenge and releasing Stokes on the left. But Gonzalez was equal to the Irishman’s rising shot.

Stokes popped up on the left again, shortly after. This time he elected to cross, picking out Ledley who couldn’t generate enough power in his header to trouble Gonzalez.

A misplaced pass handed Aberdeen a rare chance to break forward – Darren Mackie supplied Scott Vernon but Zaluska pushed the striker’s low effort away.

Celtic responded immediately with a swift counter-attack. Hooper beat the offside trap but his cross intended for Ki was deflected into the grateful arms of Gonzalez by Rory McArdle.

Desperately seeking a goal before the interval, Majstorovic knocked Ki’s free-kick into Hooper’s path, but the hitman was crowded out when trying to manufacture room for a shot.

The second-half saw no change in the momentum as Celtic pressed hard for the opener. After the ball had been worked wide to Commons, he turned inside on to his trusty left foot but couldn’t steer his effort on target.

The winger had been a constant threat. This time he reached the byline, only to see his cutback evade several onrushing team-mates.

Adam Matthews, making his competitive debut in the Hoops, was providing him with plenty of support on the right, and his cross was nodded wide of the far post by Ki.

However, the home side provided a reminder of their own attacking ability as Mackie dug out a ball from the byline which Vernon failed to connect with.

Normal service was swiftly resumed, however, as Ki darted inside from the right but pulled his shot wide, and then Commons’ goalbound half-volley was blocked by Considine.

A foul on Commons gave Mulgrew the opportunity from a free-kick, but his attempt flew high and wide as Celtic’s frustration continued.

However, in the 74th minute they finally made a deserved breakthrough. Stokes sent Commons scampering down the right and he timed his run well to collect the return pass and calmly sweep the ball past Gonzalez.

James Forrest, who had replaced Joe Ledley, had a golden chance to double the advantage five minutes late but Gonzalez denied him with his legs, following a delicious pass from Commons.

Georgios Samaras still had time to nod a header wide as the Hoops comfortably withstood some late pressure to go top of the SPL by one point.

CELTIC (4-4-2) Zaluska; Matthews, Majstorovic, K. Wilson, Izaguirre (Mulgrew 16); Commons, Kayal, Ki, Ledley (Forrest 63); Hooper, Stokes (Samaras 82)
Not Used: Cervi, Samaras, Maloney, Wanyama, McCourt

ABERDEEN (4-4-2) Gonzalez; McArdle, Considine, Arnason, Foster; Pawlett ( Paton 72), Milsom, Osbourne, Magennis (Megginson 82); Mackie (Low 87) Vernon
Not Used: J. Brown, Robertson, Shaughnessy, J. Brown

Attendance: 12, 947

Website Man of the Match: Kris Commons

We were pretty poor for most of the night, but were able to get the win thanks to a bit of brilliance from Stokes and Commons. Still not sure on the extent of Izzy's injury, BBC say broken ankle, Sky Sports say broken leg. Either way, it's absolutely shattering. :(:(
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search