Technology thread

Technology thread

Author
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
I want a sense of time, the exact time is irrelevant because day to day I don't require that precision. If I have to be somewhere at 9am, I get there at 8:55. If you have a job interview you don't turn up a minute early then argue with the interviewer because they think you're a minute late.

This. Time is too subjective for to-the-minute specifics when you're talking about the time of day.
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:
I want a sense of time, the exact time is irrelevant because day to day I don't require that precision. If I have to be somewhere at 9am, I get there at 8:55. If you have a job interview you don't turn up a minute early then argue with the interviewer because they think you're a minute late.

This. Time is too subjective for to-the-minute specifics when you're talking about the time of day.

You would be surprised about how particular some people are about precise timing. I had a guy in yesterday with his $10,000 Omega Seamaster (pretty awesome looking watch) and he was telling me how frustrating it is that it loses 1 second per day. So every day he stops the watch for 1 second just so it's more accurate.

I think today people tend to disregard wrist watches to flippantly. There was a time when if you wore a watch and not just any watch it symbolised your class and your social status. I think that still exist today but not since the watch industry has been whored out to labels and brand names. It's now more of a status to wear a watch with someone else's name on it.

Good watches, automatics that have multi-functions like perpetual calenders, alarms, tachometers and other function all built in and precisely hand built with hundreds of little wheels and pivots that simultaneously work together whilst being powered by the kinetic tension of a self winding spring need not only appreciated for the superb workmanship but marvelled for its feat of engineering. So next time you see a prestige automatic watch and wonder why the price tag is a good deposit for a home loan just think of everything that went into it. Fuck reading the time on my factory built Korean smart phone!
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

So keen to rebuild my comp next year >.<

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
You would be surprised about how particular some people are about precise timing. I had a guy in yesterday with his $10,000 Omega Seamaster (pretty awesome looking watch) and he was telling me how frustrating it is that it loses 1 second per day. So every day he stops the watch for 1 second just so it's more accurate.

Man...if My $10k watch was losing a second a day I'd a) not notice and if I did notice b) be pretty annoyed that a 10k watch can't keep time.
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Got a Galaxy Note II yesterday. If the size of the device isn't a concern, arguably the best device on the market.

Music quality is brilliant. Glad Samsung put a proper music chipset into this and the SIII.

And for a phone this size, the battery life is astounding. Had the screen on for 4 hours straight yesterday, only used up ~35%. My SII would have been flat from full charge with that usage.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I know I'm a bit late to the watch party but it gives me an excuse to post this -

Saw this a little while ago and my god I want. :lol:

leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

imnofreak wrote:
I know I'm a bit late to the watch party but it gives me an excuse to post this -

Patek Philippe

You better start saving. From about $50,000 to about $250,000 I'm told.
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Yeah that one is about 70.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
http://bgr.com/2012/12/27/blackberry-z10-specs-rumor-270723/

Excited to see how this turns out, have always taken a keen interest in Blackberry. Looks like a nicer iPhone 5 imo. Might be my next phone, although I am happy with my N4 atm.

Marty, how are you finding the Note II in terms of everyday use? Is it annoying/inconvenient when on the move?
Krackovich
Krackovich
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

leftrightout wrote:
imnofreak wrote:

Patek Philippe

Too cluttered for my liking. This cost me about $20 and it works a treat.

imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Ugly.
:P
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro

Krackovich wrote:
leftrightout wrote:
imnofreak wrote:

Patek Philippe

Too cluttered for my liking. This cost me about $20 and it works a treat.

lol, I sell Casio. That one is a pensioners dream watch.
Krackovich
Krackovich
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

:lol: I love it and it does actually get a fair few compliments

Edited by Krackovich: 15/1/2013 03:38:35 PM
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

I personally wouldn't care for this, because I'm not a spastic with touchscreens, but this is pretty cool.
Quote:
Futuristic 'tactile' tablet keyboard has buttons that disappear

James Manning
Published: January 15, 2013 - 3:25PM

Without actual keys, typing on a touchscreen can often be slow and cumbersome – leading to many an embarrassing typo.

To combat this, California-based tech company Tactus has developed technology that transforms a flat tablet or mobile phone screen into a keyboard with buttons, eliminating the need to lug around a plug-in keyboard.

The technology, which the company claims to be the world's first "dynamic tactile touchscreen", allows a keyboard to rise from the screen when needed and disappear when typing is completed.

The screens use what is known as microfluidic technology, where a tactile panel replaces the glass or plastic that usually sits above the touch sensors and display on a touchscreen device.

Small channels in the panel are filled with a transparent fluid, which expands upward into the shape of buttons or keys when the pressure is increased on the fluid, and falls back to a flat screen when pressure is decreased. When engaged, the keys are strong enough for users to type with and rest their fingers on, the company says.

The rise and fall of the keys, which takes less than a second, can be controlled by either a proximity sensor or an app on the device.

A study by Japanese tech giant Sony showed using touch is up to five times faster than relying on vision alone. The technology could also revolutionise the limited nature of tablets and smartphone for blind and vision impaired people around the world.

Aside from tablets and smartphones, the technology could also be applied to game controllers, televisions and cars. Used in touchscreen displays in cars, drivers could return more attention back to the road rather than turning away to look at screens, potentially increasing safety, according to Tactus.

Buttons and keys can be designed in various shapes and configurations, with screen size ranging from that of a small phone to a television set.

The company does not manufacture its own devices, but says it will partner with other smartphone and tablet manufacturers. The technology, which was featured at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week, is expected to be in production in late 2013 or early 2014.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/tablets/futuristic-tactile-tablet-keyboard-has-buttons-that-disappear-20130115-2cr3v.html

zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Anyone having trouble with the Jelly Bean update. My S3 has been running extremely slow since. Im thinking i might have to do a factory reset.

Anyone having the same problem or have any ideas?
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Getting a new laptop tomorrow so ready to sell my current one.

It's this model

After a few hundred.

Anyone interested?
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I'll give you $50 because it's apple. Not including postage.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS ARE SO LOUD.

Swan M10's are arriving tomorrow, for the more audio savvy forum users should I look into getting a AMP/DAC, would it make much of a difference?
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Oh god yes that watch.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Need help picking out a new laptop. Been years since I've bought a new one. I don't need anything too powerful, I won't be playing too many games on there or anything like that. Mainly for office use, where photoshop or some video editing is as tough as it gets. Do want something I can watch movies and streams on with decent quality and preferably with better than the usual shit audio that laptops provide.

I guess I'm looking for what the minimum specs I should be looking for on a decent computer without spending too much more than $2000
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

99 Problems wrote:
Need help picking out a new laptop. Been years since I've bought a new one. I don't need anything too powerful, I won't be playing too many games on there or anything like that. Mainly for office use, where photoshop or some video editing is as tough as it gets. Do want something I can watch movies and streams on with decent quality and preferably with better than the usual shit audio that laptops provide.

I guess I'm looking for what the minimum specs I should be looking for on a decent computer without spending too much more than $2000

Whatever you do don't go Dell. Filthy con artists.
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

99 Problems wrote:

For $2,000 you're going to get something state-of-the-art!

I paid a bit over $600 more than 2 years ago and bought an HP laptop. Great specs, and still almost as fast and reliable as it was back then. It's fine for movies/stream/editing/office use. If you spend $2k, you're probably gonna get something with touch screen. If you want something powerful, but not overkill, I'd personally go under $1k.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

For what you need it for, anything more than say $1500 will be overkill.

Best tip i can give is to make sure you get an SSD, the most important thing you need.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Cheers lads. Should point out that work is paying for it, on the condition I get it from Harvey Norman due to a link they have, so I'm pretty aware I'll be paying overs for whatever I do get. Also restricts my options a fair bit but can't really complain with a free computer.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro

What antivirus is everyone using? Always been pretty stingy about it but now willing to fork out. I'm looking for something that has minimal effect on performance but obviously still does its intended job.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Using windows defender and malware bytes. They do the same thing as every other programme . I dont use any one of the paid ones any more due to the fact they take up to much space
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

jlm8695 wrote:
MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS ARE SO LOUD.

Swan M10's are arriving tomorrow, for the more audio savvy forum users should I look into getting a AMP/DAC, would it make much of a difference?

lol only just saw this.

I have the M50Ws and yes it will make a difference if you haven't already got the AMP/DAC then do it lol.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

What's your smartphone use like? I really need to cut down and learn to avoid the screen. I find putting it in a different room is generally the best way. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search