FFA look to change finals system in Season 8

FFA look to change finals system in Season 8

Author
SlyGoat36
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Having a top 6 is daft.

Teams like Newcastle can have a shit season then string 4 wins together and the moronic people will crown Newcastle as Champions/best team.

Top 4 would be the ideal way to go about it. Maybe a top 5 with whoever wins the league gets rewarded with a straight spot in the final.

SlyGoat36
SlyGoat36
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Or even the top two sides are only applicable for the Grand Final.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th play off for the third ACL spot?

(Will never happen.)
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Gyfox wrote:
Jargernaut wrote:
i am going to go a little different here, id like to see a top 8, but not classed as a final series but classed as a league cup. this way first past the post is classed as champions then the next week the League cup begins with the top 8 teams from the league qualifying.

this gives every team something to play for as the bottom two miss out.

eventually when the ffa cup begins with the final being played on australia day involving all clubs at all levels across the country we have 3 trophies per season up fro grabs.

I have been saying something similar for ages. The difference I have is that all clubs play in the League Cup with #1 to #6 seeded straight into the second round. #7 play #10, #8 plays #9 to fill the last two spots in the quarter finals.

I don't hold out much hope for this as I believe the FFA will be trying to greatly reduce the number of post season games having found out that it is extremely difficult to secure venues for finals in the body of the AFL and NRL seasons

I like this idea.

I have to admit that after experiencing last season's Grand Final I don't think we should get rid of the finals series. We just need to change it to be it's own competition instead of being a conclusion to the A-League.

jonnyb
jonnyb
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Piss the finals off full stop.

A month of an already-too-short season is spent playing about half a dozen games (3 of them usually between the same 2 teams).

That month could have another 4 or five rounds for ALL 10 sets of fans to go and watch.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

RJL25 wrote:
nhub24 wrote:
The FFA Cup should replace the finals system full stop.

+1

Agreed, replace Championship Cup with FFA Cup.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

jonnyb wrote:
Piss the finals off full stop.

A month of an already-too-short season is spent playing about half a dozen games (3 of them usually between the same 2 teams).

That month could have another 4 or five rounds for ALL 10 sets of fans to go and watch.

Another 4 games where my team is actually going to be playing? To this I say [size=9]YES[/size]!

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

macktheknife wrote:
Top 4.

If you can't come in the top 4 of a small league like this you don't deserve to play for the title.

1 v 4
2 v 3

Two legs.

Winners play for the GF. Highest ranked team hosts.

Agreed. Top 5 is too messy

This is simple and removes the dud prelim final

Top 2 get acl spot. 3rd acl spot to gf winner, runner up, or 3rd/4th play off in that order

Jargernaut
Jargernaut
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Shatter wrote:
Why fix something that ain't broken? The A-League is leaking dollars and our finals are one of the few money spinners. Culling the finals or reducing the teams is not going to fix this. Everyone who complains about too many teams qualifying - how many teams outside the top 2 have actually made the GF? The system is rewarding the best and generating money. Running competitions on romantic notions of cups and first past the post is great unless you actually have to deal with any consequences.

but what about the interest a 4-5 week cup competition could generate for a potential major sponsor as well as TV right for the cup itself. if we used the top 8 system i suggested earlie the quarter and semi finals could be played over two legs with the final to be played at the highest ranked teams home venue with a two week build up. that way people have a chance to find accommodation and get to the game.

the FFA would then start to have a fair catalogue available for broadcasting rights

Socceroos
A-League
League Cup
and eventually FFA Cup

potentially all four could go to four different broadcasters.

Edited by jargernaut: 13/12/2011 12:09:25 PM
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

I'd go for the top 5 dave posted. It does seem confusing at first, but I think any finals format seems confusing at first. It gives an advantage to those teams that finished higher. The top 4 sides all should receive a home game. There's no 2-legged games which I find less exciting. It provides 2 weeks notice for the stadium to host the gf.

Bring it back up to a top 6 when the league expands again. I love the finals series, but 6 out of 10 does seem to be rewarding mediocrity too much. And bring in the FFA Cup.

Edited by Benchwarmer: 13/12/2011 03:39:04 PM
schillaci55
schillaci55
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

personally im from the old school...team at the top are the champions,the team at the top usually win the most games and lose the least and are the most consistent team of the year...finals series are shit,one bad game and you could be gone...you cant tell me that if the team that came 6th happens to win the GF are best team of the year...but thats just me....first past the post is the winner...
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I think for the FFA to be fair on ALL a-league sides not just the ones from the major cities the FINAL should be two legged.
There is far more positives to gain from it rather than what we have now such as:
-More revenue for the FFA
-The regional sides such as CCM can actually host the grand final in front of their home towns. Imagine if the F3 GF of season 3 was actually hosted in Gosford and Newcastle instead of in Sydney where the game wasnt even a capacity crowd.
-Adds to the drama of the season.

I belief we have to HAVE finals to maintain interest in the league throughout the season. Think of past seasons when one individual side has blitzed it and think how boring it would be for the other sides/supporters who dont have much to play for.

Although i think the top 6 does kinda reward mediocrity it is still a good way to keep the fans interested in the latter part of the season even if they are struggling most teams can still mathematically make it.

This is my preffered finals system:

Week 1
1st and 2nd both have the bye
3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th
Losers of these matches are out

Week 2 and 3 (two legged matches)
1st vs (lowest placed team to advance)
2nd vs (highest placed team to advance)
*These matches will more than likely end up being 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd but still gives fans of 5 and 6 hope for a fairytale run)
*The teams which finished 1st and 2nd will host the return leg of the games)

Week 4 and 5 Grand Final
Winners of the above games play each other in a 2 legged play-off grand final.
The higher ranked side will host the return league of the GF.

This system is great because it also avoids problems we have had in previous season where the top 2 sides play each other heaps in the later part of the season which can make matches a little stale.
Eg. Melbourne Victory vs Adelaide in seasons 2 and 4
Sydney vs Melbourne in season 5 where they played each other like 4 out of the last 6 games inc. finals
Brisbane vs CCM last year.

Thoughts people?

Mozilla
Mozilla
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I agree with aussie_prides assessment of that teams like CCM should be able to host the GF in their own city. Sure, you won't get the largest attendance possible, but it would truly reward the team that gained the right to host the GF, (no place like home), and the atmosphere would be truly electric! Imagine a packed out Bluetongue Stadium. The Gosford foreshore could be set up with a giant screen showing the game, etc.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

SlyGoat36 wrote:
Having a top 6 is daft.

Teams like Newcastle can have a shit season then string 4 wins together and the moronic people will crown Newcastle as Champions/best team.

Top 4 would be the ideal way to go about it. Maybe a top 5 with whoever wins the league gets rewarded with a straight spot in the final.

:oops:
So the team that wins the league gets 2 weeks off from competitive matches and then has to play in a grand final?
Awesomely terrible idea.

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Finals/play offs/ whatever are just daft imo. A team who manages to string 3 wins in a row should never be considered higher than the most consistent team of the season and it's bad enough that the premier isn't acknowledged more than the champion here. If you need knockout football, then wait for the FFA cup and bring back the state cups. Scrap the finals when the FFA Cup come in and if you must have some sort of series have the next 4 teams play off for an ACL spot.

Viennese Vuck

footballfreak
footballfreak
Super Fan
Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)Super Fan (159 reputation)

Agreed..... can't have a top 6. Should just of stuck with a top 4. A Top 6 especially in this league rewards mediocrity.
Misc
Misc
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Mozilla wrote:
I agree with aussie_prides assessment of that teams like CCM should be able to host the GF in their own city. Sure, you won't get the largest attendance possible, but it would truly reward the team that gained the right to host the GF, (no place like home), and the atmosphere would be truly electric! Imagine a packed out Bluetongue Stadium. The Gosford foreshore could be set up with a giant screen showing the game, etc.

For mine this is one short sided part of the FFA. Hosting a grand final could do amazing things to ingrain the sport into the culture of these areas. Moving it to sydney might make more money for the FFA short term, but its benefiting the sport less long. Perhaps that could be an advantage of an FFA cup. I would imagine they would again take the most profitable route though.

For those wanting to scrap the Finals for a cup. Do you honestly believe the FFA cup will draw 1/5 as much attention as the finals system does? Some people seem to think we live in europe. First pass the post wont work and a cup wont be as popular as the FA cup.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Misc wrote:

For those wanting to scrap the Finals for a cup. Do you honestly believe the FFA cup will draw 1/5 as much attention as the finals system does? Some people seem to think we live in europe. First pass the post wont work and a cup wont be as popular as the FA cup.

I believe a post season knockout League Cup would draw more fans than the system we have now with its 1 v 2 home and away and the loser of that playing the winner of the rest to see who gets to the grand final.
tribina
tribina
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Leave the format as it is. The a-league needs stability, tinkering and changing the system just creates confusion for the general non-football public.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

f1dave wrote:
Heart_Fan10 wrote:
how would top 5 work? 1st goes straight to final and the other 4 play off?

Quote:
Week One

Qualification Final: 2nd vs 3rd
Elimination Final: 4th vs 5th
Bye: 1st

Week Two

Major Semi Final: 1st vs Winners of Qualification Final
Minor Semi Final: Losers of Qualification Final vs Winners of Elimination Final

Week Three

Preliminary Final: Losers of Major Semi Final vs Winners of Minor Semi Final
Bye: Winners of Major Semi Final

Week Four

Grand Final: Winners of Major Semi Final vs Winners of Preliminary Final

Ah that's it f1dave - that's also quite similar to what they have at present, or what I've seen from other codes anyway?

BTW Guys a bye straight through to the final is a disadvantage, hence scheduling like Dave outlined - As Top Ladder teams go without the football, intense football, for all that period, while the team they face has been through 2-3 hardening qualifiers, so they're sharper, more geared up and gelling together to take on their opponent. We've seen it happen before too, such long byes never serve any team well.
HMTerraAus
HMTerraAus
Hacker
Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)Hacker (479 reputation)

Final 4.

Playoffs are exciting, they are a part of most Australian sports leagues and I think most people like em.

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Misc wrote:
Mozilla wrote:

For mine this is one short sided part of the FFA. Hosting a grand final could do amazing things to ingrain the sport into the culture of these areas. Moving it to sydney might make more money for the FFA short term, but its benefiting the sport less long. Perhaps that could be an advantage of an FFA cup. I would imagine they would again take the most profitable route though.

Moving that Grand Final pissed off a lot of people. It was an incredibly short sighted decision and led directly to a decline in Mariners crowd numbers. You would have had a full Bluetongue, a live site opposite in the adjoining park, the foreshore buzzing. In short, you would have ingrained football indelibly within the area.

Instead the opposite happened and many people have not returned from season 3. If you earn the right to host the Grand Final you MUST be allowed to hold it. In other words - the Mariners have become less profitable to support the FFA. The stupidity of that move is still being seen years later with crowds never returning and the Mariners struggling financially.

Edited by patjennings: 15/12/2011 02:14:50 AM
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

patjennings wrote:
Misc wrote:
Mozilla wrote:

Moving that Grand Final pissed off a lot of people. It was an incredibly short sighted decision and led directly to a decline in Mariners crowd numbers. You would have had a full Bluetongue, a live site opposite in the adjoining park, the foreshore buzzing. In short, you would have ingrained football indelibly within the area.

Instead the opposite happened and many people have not returned from season 3. If you earn the right to host the Grand Final you MUST be allowed to hold it. In other words - the Mariners have become less profitable to support the FFA. The stupidity of that move is still being seen years later with crowds never returning and the Mariners struggling financially.

Edited by patjennings: 15/12/2011 02:14:50 AM

Exactly and the sad thing is the FFA will do the same again (and it could be this season).
2 legs sort the problem out where the Jets would've played at home first leg in season 3 in front of 28k and the next week in Gosford wouldve been a sold out sizzler in front of a further 20k.
2 legs, 2 weeks of public media attention, 2 awesome rivals playing one another
total of 48k
vs
A neatural venue with a lack of home ground feel for a total of 36k

I know which one makes more sense to me :-k
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

The current system is ludicrous. If the finals were tomorrow there would be 6 teams who could win the league, when there is clearly one side who deserve it.

Also if the finals were in a few weeks 8 teams could be a chance to win the season.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

@tsf
They should change the finals system imo.

At the moment 1&2 need to win 2 games, 3,4,5 &6 need to win 3 games (to be champions).

If you changed the system to
Weds
5 v 6

Friday
3 v 4

Sunday
2 v 5/6

for the first week of the finals it means 5 & 6 would have to win 4 games, 2,3 & 4 would all have to win 3 games and 1 (who plays in the semi the week after) has to win 2 games. That at least would be an advantage for coming first. Also it would deny the possibility of a (long shot) 5 v 6 gf. And you get the extra game for tv/revenue.

Edit; actually that doesn't work out. But they should change it somehow :)

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

scott21 - 22 Jan 2017 12:17 AM
@tsf
They should change the finals system imo.

At the moment 1&2 need to win 2 games, 3,4,5 &6 need to win 3 games (to be champions).

If you changed the system to
Weds
5 v 6

Friday
3 v 4

Sunday
2 v 5/6

for the first week of the finals it means 5 & 6 would have to win 4 games, 2,3 & 4 would all have to win 3 games and 1 (who plays in the semi the week after) has to win 2 games. That at least would be an advantage for coming first. Also it would deny the possibility of a (long shot) 5 v 6 gf. And you get the extra game for tv/revenue.

Edit; actually that doesn't work out. But they should change it somehow :)

Top 5

F1: 2nd vs 3rd
F2: 4th vs 5th
F3: 1st vs Winner F1
F4: Loser F1 vs Winner F2
F5: Loser F3 vs Winner F4
GF: Winner F3 vs Winner F5
hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Whilst they have an unbalanced HHA or AAH season there should be the top 6 to try and balance things out.

When it's a HA season the a 4/5 team final is fine.

My preference would be a two legged 1v4 2v3 SF and single game final.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I'm not a big fan of AFL style lucky losers.
Finals imo should win only.

I guess for 5 teams you could play
Wednesday
3v4
Thursday
2v5

Sunday
2/5 v 3/4

Sunday
Gf
1 v winner

Have the 1st place go straight to the gf.
It shortens the finals by a week and one game.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Top 6 in a 10 team comp is ridiculous, seriously harms the credibiity of the league.
Drop finals to top four, it will intensify regular season competition and give the finals a more authentic feel. Two home and away play offs followed by grand final.
If crowds drop can always go back to top 6.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

The thing I don't like about home and away is it doesn't give much of an advantage to the team that finished 1st. Only a home second leg. Also, that teams aren't knocked out in the first game would mean you lose the playoff vibe a bit.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Then what if the 2 teams play each other in the FFA Cup? They would play each other 6 times.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search