8 football players in top 50 highest paid Australian sports stars

8 football players in top 50 highest paid Australian sports stars

Author
Synthesized
Hacker
Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

Your call, but its doing pretty well without your support.

And, conversely, 90% of the world is doing pretty well with football and never having heard of AFL.

And yet in no way does that have any relevance to the AFL's overwhelming financial success in this country.

BTW 90%....lol. Pull the other one.
India, Pakistan, USA, China, Bangladesh represent 45.5% of the world population on not one of those countries is Football the dominant sport.

Looks good for cricket though.
redsfan
redsfan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
BRW are a fair way off target if they think that Emerton is anywhere near $1m/year.

his salary wouldn't be far off of it and a few personal endorsements thrown in would push it around that imo.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

And, conversely, 90% of the world is doing pretty well with football and never having heard of AFL.

And yet in no way does that have any relevance to the AFL's overwhelming financial success in this country.

India, Pakistan, USA, China, Bangladesh represent 45.5% of the world population on not one of those countries is Football the dominant sport.

I don't see anywhere in my post where I disputed AFL's financial (and, I'll add, political) utter dominance here in Aus, or perhaps at least where I'm from in Melbourne.

And I didn't say that football is the #1 domestic sport in the specific countries that you chose to name.

What I did say is that "90% of the world ... never [has] heard of AFL". While I think that may well be literally true, colloquially speaking my contention is that AFL is not the dominant domestic professional football code in countries totaling 90% of the world population. If you have any legitimate surveys or studies to disprove either my literal or colloquial point please go ahead and post the links.

Am I incorrect?

I am not much of a fan of cricket, the summer weekends of my childhood spent watching my dad in the Ballarat district 3rds from the car can attest, but I won't shy from paying the game it's dues for its fanatical support in the Subcontinent, which will only improve in sporting status with the eventual economic rise of India. But to compare whichever version of the cricket world cup they have to THE World Cup? Please.

Oh, and which sport is more dominant in attendance, participation or economic terms than football in China, by the way?

And for the record, no, I will politely decline to pull anything of yours, thanks for asking though, hope your Friday night improves elsewhere.

Edited by paladisious: 15/12/2012 12:15:40 AM
COYS
COYS
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

who cares. football is the most dominant sport in the world while afl is backwater

at least in those countries there are millions of people kicking footballs and playing soccer

unlike the propaganda written articles made by afl sympathisers in the herald and telegraph trying to convince people that afl is being spread and becoming "increasingly popular" in such countries:lol:

filthy creten
Synthesized
Synthesized
Hacker
Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)Hacker (360 reputation)

COYS wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

who cares. football is the most dominant sport in the world while afl is backwater

at least in those countries there are millions of people kicking footballs and playing soccer

unlike the propaganda written articles made by afl sympathisers in the herald and telegraph trying to convince people that afl is being spread and becoming "increasingly popular" in such countries:lol:

filthy creten

Well If you want to completely change what we're talking about with pointless information, I can do that too.

Who cares about Football when American Football rakes in 80,000+ people a game and is steadily growing in England with a regular season game being played there once a season.
We have the best stadium in the world that fits over 100k at a cost of 1.3B

In the last TV rights we scored a nice $20B!

Enjoy your Thugby muppet.

Edited by Synthesized: 15/12/2012 12:29:40 AM
COYS
COYS
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

filthy creten

Well If you want to completely change what we're talking about with pointless information, I can do that too.

Who cares about Football when American Football rakes in 80,000+ people a game and is steadily growing in England with a regular season game being played there once a season.

nfl also has a 16 game regular season, lack of worldwide proffesional leagues and will never have the global outreach of football. no sport compares! the combined revenue and turnover of every european club alone superseeds it, nevermind the rest of the world!

dont get all mad because i speak the truth. afl is backwater. you silly new dawner that jumped on the soccer bandwagon(man city supporter even worse, disgusting) within the last 2 years getting all offended by my words of wisdom. what are you even doing on these forums peasant!? :lol:

thugby? what is that supposed to mean? some indirect knock at rugby? rugby can lick my nads for all i care LMAO! football is all im interested in
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

I expected Mark Webber to top it by miles. Dunno who the basketball player is. American Football is as steadily growing in England as its economy, nobody cares. PS. You've all got your head in the sand if you reckon AFL does not have political and financial clout. It's successful but so what? Stop caring.

Hello

COYS
COYS
World Class

hello ken

hes just another butthurt multi code fan that comes onto these forums expecting to have his testicles stroked. i for one, am not having that since it's such a pitiful sport and the child needs to learn his place
Synthesized
Synthesized
Hacker

COYS wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

filthy creten

nfl also has a 16 game regular season, lack of worldwide proffesional leagues and will never have the global outreach of football. no sport compares! the combined revenue and turnover of every european club alone superseeds it, nevermind the rest of the world!

dont get all mad because i speak the truth. afl is backwater. you silly new dawner that jumped on the soccer bandwagon(man city supporter even worse, disgusting) within the last 2 years getting all offended by my words of wisdom. what are you even doing on these forums peasant!? :lol:

thugby? what is that supposed to mean? some indirect knock at rugby? rugby can lick my nads for all i care LMAO! football is all im interested in

Who needs global reach when you have self sustaining dominance worth tens of billions! But then again with so much success global reach is eventually inevitable. NFL on free to air Aus TV, every tom dick and harry walking around with some for of NFL merch (mainly caps) local leagues popping up across the world.

I ain't mad, just having fun on your behalf.
Synthesized
Synthesized
Hacker

COYS wrote:
hello ken

hes just another butthurt multi code fan that comes onto these forums expecting to have his testicles stroked. i for one, am not having that since it's such a pitiful sport and the child needs to learn his place

If you think because you watch just one sport in some way makes you a superior supporter. I'm seriously laughing at your stupidity.

You contribute nothing to this game by sitting at your computer while poorly attempting to construct forum arguments.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

:d

Edited by petszk: 15/12/2012 01:10:34 AM

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Synthesized wrote:

Synthesized wrote:

Synthesized wrote:
[size=6]we scored a nice $20B!
[/size]

Synthesized wrote:
[size=9]we[/size]

A reply to my last reply to you would be nice.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Synthesized wrote:

Cool story bro. How are the London Monarchs travelling these days, anyway?

Synthesized wrote:

Is that the stadium who's grand opening was Costa Rica vs Guadeloupe? Don't sound like NFL teams to me :-k
Synthesized
Synthesized
Hacker

paladisious wrote:

Synthesized wrote:
[size=9]we[/size]

Yep apparently if I'm not a one eyed Football fan I'm against football. Might as well embrace the "enemy"
Synthesized
Synthesized
Hacker

paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:

Cool story bro. How are the London Monarchs travelling these days, anyway?

About as good as GC United. Football is perfect right?
paladisious wrote:

Synthesized wrote:

Is that the stadium who's grand opening was Costa Rica vs Guadeloupe? Don't sound like NFL teams to me :-k

Har, har, har...

Edited by Synthesized: 15/12/2012 01:36:31 AM
Synthesized
Synthesized
Hacker

paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

I don't see anywhere in my post where I disputed AFL's financial (and, I'll add, political) utter dominance here in Aus, or perhaps at least where I'm from in Melbourne.

And I didn't say that football is the #1 domestic sport in the specific countries that you chose to name.

What I did say is that "90% of the world ... never [has] heard of AFL". While I think that may well be literally true, colloquially speaking my contention is that AFL is not the dominant domestic professional football code in countries totaling 90% of the world population. If you have any legitimate surveys or studies to disprove either my literal or colloquial point please go ahead and post the links.

Am I incorrect?

I am not much of a fan of cricket, the summer weekends of my childhood spent watching my dad in the Ballarat district 3rds from the car can attest, but I won't shy from paying the game it's dues for its fanatical support in the Subcontinent, which will only improve in sporting status with the eventual economic rise of India. But to compare whichever version of the cricket world cup they have to THE World Cup? Please.

Oh, and which sport is more dominant in attendance, participation or economic terms than football in China, by the way?

And for the record, no, I will politely decline to pull anything of yours, thanks for asking though, hope your Friday night improves elsewhere.

Edited by paladisious: 15/12/2012 12:15:40 AM

What you actually said is

paladisious wrote:

Well I mention AFL is "doing pretty well" in regards to local finance, Attendance, TV etc.
So not sure how you got 90% or how your now arbitrarily defining "doing pretty well". And yes to the second part of the sentence, 90% of the world don't know about Australian football but that hasn't stopped it rise to the top of the Australian sporting food chain.

And I would say the combined athletics/ olympic themed sports are the biggest in China but if your going to make me pick one western sport Basketball is currently the biggest with over 300million players.

Edited by Synthesized: 15/12/2012 01:40:36 AM
shallow hal wants a gal
shallow hal wants a gal
World Class
World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)

Luke wilkshire! That's so suprising.

AFL is shit. Only a part of one country play it.
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
paladisious wrote:
Synthesized wrote:
COYS wrote:
afl is shit

filthy creten

Who needs global reach when you have self sustaining dominance worth tens of billions! [size=8]But then again with so much success global reach is eventually inevitable[/size]. NFL on free to air Aus TV, every tom dick and harry walking around with some for of NFL merch (mainly caps) local leagues popping up across the world.

I ain't mad, just having fun on your behalf.

The NFL failed and collapsed in Europe - not just a team, an entire league.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Europe
Mister Football
Mister Football
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

It's great that Australian kids can grow up and aspire to play the great Australian game professionally, and make a very good living out of it.

900 professional contracts, and an average annual salary of $300k, with 18 year olds starting at between $80k and $100k per annum, and where the top quartile will earn between $500k and $1.2m per annum.

It's a good news story for Australian sport.

We should all be proud.

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Mister Football wrote:
It's great that Australian kids can grow up and aspire to play the great Australian game professionally, and make a very good living out of it.

900 professional contracts, and an average annual salary of $300k, with 18 year olds starting at between $80k and $100k per annum, and where the top quartile will earn between $500k and $1.2m per annum.

We should all be proud.

I've never watched a match from start to finish, but this is an excellent point. =d>
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Also worth adding, that Luke is one of the highly regarded and well respected Aussie footballers (amongst players). Tipped for the socceroos arm band and to play til he's 40.
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

COYS wrote:
hello ken

I don't support codes, I support my football club the Arsenal. It's something that people on this forum would do well to take on board.

Hello

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Farrand93 wrote:
Also worth adding, that Luke is one of the highly regarded and well respected Aussie footballers (amongst players). Tipped for the socceroos arm band and to play til he's 40.

He'll be lucky to make the World cup squad tbh
vanbasten88
vanbasten88
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

MusikResponse wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
MusikResponse wrote:
Not trying to start a code war, but i do like the fact the no AFL player makes the list until number 25.

Is that any surprise? There is only one professional league in the world...and it is salary capped.

No, no. Not surprising at all. Just enjoyable. Reminds them of their true place in the world.

This. :D
Clinton
Clinton
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Mister Football wrote:

We should all be proud.

I'm guessing the 900 professional contracts include all the state leagues? and the average annual salary doesn't include state leagues? and the 18 year old starting salary doesn't include state leagues and surely the top quartile only includes the top division?

Otherwise it really wouldn't make sense that with a salary cap of $9M by 18 clubs there is a total possible wage of around $160M where 900 contracts by 300K is $270M p/y (more than the broadcast rights deal).

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search