The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
Strikers94
Super Fan
Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bigpoppa - 15 Dec 2016 1:06 PM
Don't know why they just didn't pull the pin on Nix 12 months ago while they had the chance. We'd all be sitting here now going Wellington who?

There was a bit of sympathetic pushback from fans of other clubs iirc, they might not have that now there are so many Australian bids pushing for inclusion.
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Latest updates:
- South Melbourne bluffing by saying they have a marquee wrapped up.
- Dandenong/ Casey announcing that they are ready to start immediately, despite no plans in the immediate future for a new stadium at dandenong showgrounds.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

williamn - 15 Dec 2016 4:03 PM
Latest updates:
- South Melbourne bluffing by saying they have a marquee wrapped up.
- Dandenong/ Casey announcing that they are ready to start immediately, despite no plans in the immediate future for a new stadium at dandenong showgrounds.

Don't forget Tassie nearly having Arnold wrapped up as coach but him appearing to know nothing about it.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

bigpoppa - 15 Dec 2016 4:22 PM
williamn - 15 Dec 2016 4:03 PM

Don't forget Tassie nearly having Arnold wrapped up as coach but him appearing to know nothing about it.

Brisbane have the backing of Clem Jones Group, although Clem Jones Group say they don't

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

The save the Nix campaign in Australia was driven by Pignata and SFC fans who are scared of a South Sydney team.

Best result imo is Sharks, SM and Geelong come in, WP out.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

South Sydney Football Club with a sharks moniker gets my vote.

It would definitely draw shire people in with the Sharks reference, some from other parts of south Sydney because of the name but it'll actually push some people the other way towards Sydney FC because they don't like the Sharks.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

scott21 - 15 Dec 2016 5:13 PM
The save the Nix campaign in Australia was driven by Pignata and SFC fans who are scared of a South Sydney team.Best result imo is Sharks, SM and Geelong come in, WP out.

IMO Wollongong Canberra SM. 

WP out. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Canberra has a team (Mariners), Wollongong will be covered under the Sharks bid. You need one more team.
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

bigpoppa - 15 Dec 2016 5:23 PM
South Sydney Football Club with a sharks moniker gets my vote. It would definitely draw shire people in with the Sharks reference, some from other parts of south Sydney because of the name but it'll actually push some people the other way towards Sydney FC because they don't like the Sharks.

And thats the beauty of having multiple clubs from the one major city, it allows people to take a stand by purposely choosing a club over another rather than neither. 
It also creates banter within the workspace thus stirring more discussion and awareness which builds the game naturally. not to mention giving the media more to report on locally. 

I reckon it ahould be 3 clubs. 1 south syd, 2 geelong and 3 Tassie. And knock out phoenix.

Then 19/20 bring in sth melb and brisbane.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

South Sydney Football Club with a sharks moniker gets my vote. It would definitely draw shire people in with the Sharks reference, some from other parts of south Sydney because of the name but it'll actually push some people the other way towards Sydney FC because they don't like the Sharks.

Does the South Sydney designation make people think more of Redfern than Sutherland though? I'd love to know what Shire people think. As a Penrith boy, I associate South Sydney with that area (due to the Rabbitohs) rather than the Shire, but I don't know if that's just a Western Sydney/NRL thing.
Strikers94
Strikers94
Super Fan
Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)

Kamaryn - 15 Dec 2016 11:11 PM
Does the South Sydney designation make people think more of Redfern than Sutherland though? I'd love to know what Shire people think. As a Penrith boy, I associate South Sydney with that area (due to the Rabbitohs) rather than the Shire, but I don't know if that's just a Western Sydney/NRL thing.

Among non-sporting people Southern Sydney would make most think of St George rather than Redfern or the Shire imo.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Strikers94
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

that is definitely a problem with the south sydney name. it is a title that represents redfern.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Kamaryn - 15 Dec 2016 11:11 PM

I don't think of the shire as South Sydney. I think of it and to a degree the St George region as The South of Sydney. To me South Sydney ends in the southerly direction at the airport. 

If you want a generic area name I'd rather Southern Districts.

How people refer to areas of Sydney is a mess. Menai is regularly called South West Sydney in the news, which is technically correct but I'd never regard it as such. 
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

TheSelectFew - 15 Dec 2016 5:24 PM
scott21 - 15 Dec 2016 5:13 PM

IMO Wollongong Canberra SM. 

WP out. 

I wish this would happen.

scott21 - 15 Dec 2016 5:51 PM
Canberra has a team (Mariners), Wollongong will be covered under the Sharks bid. You need one more team.

Mariners will never be Canberra's team full stop.

Bid mistake to put a team in Southern Sydney ahead of a team in Wollongong. The idea of a South West Sydney team is a better one as it gives Wollongong a better shot at making it in.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

NG21
NG21
Under 7s
Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)

Firstly, if you ask me, South Sydney is the St.George area. You could probably throw the Shire under that name as well and to me it's a stretch, but definitely not Illawarra/Wollongong. 

Secondly, I don't think anyone from the St. George area would be overly keen on supporting a Southern Sydney "Sharks" team, and to suggest that  anyone from the South of Sydney who didn't like the Sharks name would then support Sydney FC is ridiculous. This would only happen if there were already people from the St..George area supporting SFC who may have switched teams had a new South Sydney team come in but  didn't like the Sharks name. Which probably would be the case if they called it Sharks.

Its like calling a Southern Sydney team The Saints or the Dragons. There's NO way people from the shire would support a team with that name. A lot of people will say that an NRL rivalry has nothing to do with a new HAL team, but it does. end of story. There is a rivalry between the two areas, and there always will be.

However... with that being said, if they are going to create a Southern Sydney team, it needs to be neutral. Neutral name, logo, and colors. 

IMO I think a team representing both St. George and Sutherland will eventually end up splitting up into two teams in the late future, as soon as it would be possible/sustainable to do so.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Volrath2002 - 16 Dec 2016 7:09 AM
TheSelectFew - 15 Dec 2016 5:24 PM

I wish this would happen.

scott21 - 15 Dec 2016 5:51 PM

Mariners will never be Canberra's team full stop.

Bid mistake to put a team in Southern Sydney ahead of a team in Wollongong. The idea of a South West Sydney team is a better one as it gives Wollongong a better shot at making it in.

I too am attracted to a potential revival of Wolves.

Add South Melbourne, and we are set.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

MLS announces expansion process and timeline

NEW YORK—The process for Major League Soccer's next round of expansion has been set.

MLS Commissioner Don Garber announced Thursday that Teams 25 and 26 will be announced during the second or third quarter of 2017, at an expansion fee of $150 million each, and begin MLS play by 2020. Teams 27 and 28 will be announced at a later date, at a price delivered in conjunction with the timeline.

“There is tremendous interest in professional soccer across the United States and Canada,” Commissioner Garber said. “Since announcing plans to expand to 28 clubs late last year, many potential ownership groups have contacted us, and numerous public officials have stated their desire to bring an MLS expansion team to their city. We look forward to reviewing expansion applications in the coming months and conducting formal meetings in 2017 with possible team owners.”

Garber initially revealed in December that the league would continue expanding to 28 teams. Atlanta United and Minnesota United FC enter the league next season, which bumps the league to 22 teams; LAFC is slated to follow in 2018. According to a league statement, MLS is making progress with plans for an expansion team in Miami (No. 24).

The league acknowledged ownership groups from 10 markets have publicly expressed interest in securing an MLS expansion team: Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Interested expansion owners must submit applications by Jan. 31, 2017. After review, a series of in-person meetings will take place during the first and second quarters of 2017.

Qualified applicants will submit documentation that focuses on the following three areas: 1) Ownership – Structure and financial informations; 2) Stadium – details on proposed site, financing, approvals and support; and 3) Financial Projections, Corporate Support and Soccer Support – a business plan, projections and commitment letters for naming rights and a jersey-front sponsor, along with an overview of support from the soccer community.

Three key aspects are considered top priorities when reviewing candidates:

A committed local ownership group that has a passion for the sport, a deep belief in Major League Soccer and the resources to invest in the infrastructure to build the sport in their respective market.
A market that has a history of strong fan support for soccer matches and other sporting events, is located in a desirable geographic location and is attractive to corporate sponsors and television partners.
A comprehensive stadium plan that ensures the club will have a proper home for their fans and players while also serving as a destination for the sport in the community.
Major League Soccer’s expansion committee consists of ownership representatives from five clubs including Jonathan Kraft (New England Revolution), Andrew Hauptman (Chicago Fire), Anthony Precourt (Columbus Crew SC), Phil Rawlins (Orlando City SC) and Jay Sugarman (Philadelphia Union).

MLS Expansion Timeline

First Season   Team
1998   Chicago Fire, Miami Fusion
2005   Real Salt Lake, Chivas USA
2007   Toronto FC
2008   San Jose Earthquakes
2009   Seattle Sounders FC
2010   Philadelphia Union
2011   Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps FC
2012   Montreal Impact
2015   Orlando City SC, New York City FC
2017   Atlanta United, Minnesota United FC
2018   Los Angeles Football Club

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/15/mls-announces-expansion-process-and-timeline

Apparently FFA model themselves after the MLS.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

If the FFA were anything like the MLS than all viable bids putting there hand up would be included.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

bigpoppa - 16 Dec 2016 4:49 PM
If the FFA were anything like the MLS than all viable bids putting there hand up would be included.

None of them would be viable bids because the FFA would be demanding 100 mill each in that scenario
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I think paying their own cap for the first 3 years would be reasonable.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Interesting to see A-League and FFA Golden Boy, and Melbourne City employee, Timmy Cahill talking up expansion and saying another Melbourne team wouldn't be a problem...  You'd think that if the FFA and City wanted to steer people away from this market they wouldn't want Timmy talking it up.

Looks like South, or South-East, Melbourne in the driving seat.  
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Benjamin - 19 Dec 2016 2:30 PM
Interesting to see A-League and FFA Golden Boy, and Melbourne City employee, Timmy Cahill talking up expansion and saying another Melbourne team wouldn't be a problem...  You'd think that if the FFA and City wanted to steer people away from this market they wouldn't want Timmy talking it up.

Looks like South, or South-East, Melbourne in the driving seat.  

If it came down to this surely we couldnt lose out.
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

southmelb - 19 Dec 2016 2:36 PM

Image result for Leslie Nielsen

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

I did notice in the original article he mentioned Sydney Melbourne and Tasmania.

South or Tas to replace Nix with the other to come in with South Sydney. 🙈
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Another kit/crest I've done up for a South Sydney franchise. Again gone with the ship theme in regards to Botany Bay/First Fleet/Captain Cook. Colourways of Black and White because its yet to be seen as a main kit in the HAL. Wanted to keep it as basic as possible. Less is more as they say.

image hosting 20mb

upload img

free photo hosting

Dave
Dave
Under 7s
Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)

scott21 - 4 Dec 2016 4:31 PM
Coffs Harbour Bananas

haha yes please
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators

You're applying logic to this again, aren't you?  How many times have you been warned..?
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Benjamin - 19 Dec 2016 3:48 PM

You're applying logic to this again, aren't you?  How many times have you been warned..?

Logic would see SM and Tassie in next season.
World Class

Can't see there being any expansion to apply logic to.  

Herald Sun being leaked info to soften everyone up for the let-down.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 4:02 PM

Can't see there being any expansion to apply logic to.  

Herald Sun being leaked info to soften everyone up for the let-down.

'Oh no.. Sorry everyone the big bad tv companies won't pay for it.'
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search