The Official University/Education Thread

The Official University/Education Thread

Author
MVFCSouthEnder
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
Anyone here in year 12 apart from me?

Year 11 for me, basically the same stuff you do but easier. I'm assuming you do VCE?

Edited by 433: 27/5/2013 09:32:40 PM
Yeah mate. Haha year 11 was an absolute sunday stroll compared to year 12 :lol:
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:

Year 11 for me, basically the same stuff you do but easier. I'm assuming you do VCE?

FUCKING HELL NO :lol:

Edit: Is it more of a workload thing? Or is the work itself more difficult?

Edited by 433: 27/5/2013 10:16:20 PM
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Doing fluid mechanics and advanced thermodynamics in the same semester was the worst idea ever.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:

I promise you it's not that bad. I did jack all and did alright.
I took no notes all year. But my economics teacher always said, that if you can summarise each lesson in 2 sentences then that'll be enough :lol:

The first night you go out after exams are over you'll realise all that stress and teen angst was really over nothing, and that beer was actually there for you all along.
StreetzFC
StreetzFC
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

pv4 wrote:
Doing fluid mechanics and advanced thermodynamics in the same semester was the worst idea ever.

I've heard stories about fluid mechanics, I feel sorry for you man
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

I honestly found Year 11 more difficult than year 12. I think the step from 10>11 is a lot bigger than 11>12.
Scoll
Scoll
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

TheDjentleman wrote:

I am considering options staying here in Sleepy old Perth, going over East (Don't know much about Uni's over east) or even going abroad (USA, Europe, Asia)... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My school has like open days and stuff to UWA and Curtin Uni but being in one of those elitist boys schools they just showcase Medicine, Law etc. (Not having a dig, just not my passion) so like I am sorta left out...

If any experienced friends of life could help that would be greatly appreciated just to at least share some stories or whatever :)

If you decide to study music, stay in Perth. WAAPA is fantastic according to my musician friends.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Funky Munky wrote:
I honestly found Year 11 more difficult than year 12. I think the step from 10>11 is a lot bigger than 11>12.

This.
MVFCSouthEnder
MVFCSouthEnder
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:

Edit: Is it more of a workload thing? Or is the work itself more difficult?

Edited by 433: 27/5/2013 10:16:20 PM
I might sound like a know-it-all when I say this but just as long as you develop good habits then the workload isn't bad, its bigger but its manageable. Also I do agree with Funky, year 10 was the land of procrastination
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:

I promise you it's not that bad. I did jack all and did alright.
I took no notes all year. But my economics teacher always said, that if you can summarise each lesson in 2 sentences then that'll be enough :lol:

The first night you go out after exams are over you'll realise all that stress and teen angst was really over nothing, and that beer was actually there for you all along.

Haha thanks. Looking forward to that drink already :lol:
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Approaching the half way stage of my third year of Arts at Uni Melb, studying History and really hating uni at the moment, I only chose my major because I enjoyed studying it throughout school and first year, regretting it now as I'm studying a field I have no desire to seek employment in and no longer enjoy studying. I've coasted by, never putting in 100% and focused on my social life, but now uni has finally stepped up a gear and I really can't be fucked adapting to it.

I spent the first two years living on campus and met some of the best people and had the best time, now I've moved out with four of my best mates that I've met through living on res and I'm loving it. The fact I've made similarly lazy and equally problem drinker friends has not helped my education at all, but it's been the best three years of my life, and the only thing that makes uni worth it imo.
CroatianDaniel
CroatianDaniel
Hacker
Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)Hacker (445 reputation)

Studying a Bachelor of Business (Tourism and HR) full time at Uni of SOuthern QLD and working 25 hours a week.

Finding HR a lot harder than I thought I would, but still managing to do well in assignments and quizzes. Tourism on the other hand is awesome. Loving the major, learning so much and in final year will get the opportunity to work for 4 months at a tourism firm as part of one of my subjects. Uni life is great at the moment.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

RedKat wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

Year 10. School Ceritificate. Those were the days!

Year 11 was where you did all the learning. Year 12 was just reviewing what you knew.
Shaker
Shaker
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Currently Studying (And Living) at Edith Cowan University here in Perth. Almost finished the University Preparation Course (my high school marks sucked) before moving onto a Bachelor of Science (Sports Science and Football) next semester. So keen.
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Doing my Masters of Religious Studies at The Fred Nile Institute

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

ozboy wrote:
Doing my Masters of Religious Studies at The Fred Nile Institute

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where is that? You must be so proud of the patron you have :lol:
keepersball
keepersball
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:

A lot of people did year 12 last year. I think KB's doing year 12?

Yep I'm in my last year of schooling. Not sure what I'm doing next year but. Look at a few cadetships with the likes of KPMG, PwC and so on. Got a good feeling I can get one of the positions after school simply by looking at some of the people they've selected previously. I know I'll be getting a higher ATAR than a few of them, as well as, at least in my opinion, better and more extra curricular bull shit that employers love.

Edited by keepersball: 27/5/2013 11:23:29 PM
keepersball
keepersball
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:

Surely not. Year 11 is a walk in the park compared to so far three terms of Year 12.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:

This. Year 11 and 12 was roughly the same workload, except you had one less term to learn the same amount of information. I went from avergaing about 75% in Science in Year 10 (and about 80% average in the physics segment) to failing my mid-year exam for Physics in Year 11 and just scraping a B grade with 65% by years end. In Japanese, I went from averaging mid 70s to high 50s/low 60s.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

pv4 wrote:

Fluid dynamics was one of my best subjects.
Without a textbook everyone is fucked in Thermodynamics. There was something like a 55% pass rate in the two subjects at my uni. It took me two attempts to get through both. I'd go into the exam with 40-45 of the total marks in the subject already but find I couldn't fit all the information I needed on the double sided cheat sheet and get the 40% pass mark in the exam and technical fail even though my total marks would have been above 60% for the subject.
World Class

I'm doing pretty well in most of my subjects, but I barely pass English. Anyone else the same?

Edited by 433: 27/5/2013 11:40:08 PM
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

keepersball wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

Surely not. Year 11 is a walk in the park compared to so far three terms of Year 12.

Year 12 was harder for me. That's when the extension 2 maths started having more and more complex multiple working page answers. They took a lot more effort to understand and I couldn't finish my homework in class anymore.
I don't think the other subjects were all that much harder other than the teachers piling on the pressure by emphasizing how important each assessment was.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Think I'll be swapping to part time uni for next semester. I just hate being swamped with four 2500+ word essays due within one week of each other. I also have to do at least 100 possibly 200 hours of work experience to graduate as well. :(
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Me and the other 10,000 law students in this country who probably won't get a job. Oh well.

Edited by KenGooner_GCU: 28/5/2013 01:03:29 AM

Hello

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

KenGooner_GCU wrote:

Me and the other 10,000 law students in this country who probably won't get a job. Oh well.

Edited by KenGooner_GCU: 28/5/2013 01:03:29 AM

Were you doing another course before that?
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

nah, I don't mind it though it keeps me busy and I'm not exactly sciency/mathsy any way.

Hello

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

KenGooner_GCU wrote:

Law has a lot of pathways depending on what takes your fancy. If I could commit myself to studying (which I know I can't), it'd be something I'd genuinely consider.
Quote:
Year 12 was harder for me. That's when the extension 2 maths started having more and more complex multiple working page answers. They took a lot more effort to understand and I couldn't finish my homework in class anymore.
I don't think the other subjects were all that much harder other than the teachers piling on the pressure by emphasizing how important each assessment was.

Worth noting that I don't think Funky did any maths classes in year 12?
But also, it definitely comes down to your ability to handle the pressure and subsequently your ability to keep working while also not really giving a fuck.

This is all you should take out of year 12, seriously:

MidfieldMaestro
MidfieldMaestro
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

My turn. BEng (Civil) (Hons). So tough to get a job these days, there's so much competition. A lot of graduates for very few places. Haven't worked a day this year, such is the state of the industry atm. My former supervisor was astonished when I told him about 60 of us graduated, as when he finished about 10 years ago, there were about 30 grads from his class and all had no problems finding a job.

In hindsight, I wish I'd done uni interstate or overseas like some of you guys here. It would have got me out of home, I'd have picked up so many general life skills and met a bunch of new people which is desperately what I need.

Quote:
I miss the days when I coasted year 12, could still do well but still thought it was such a tough year. Nek minnit you're in university going an engineering degree being nostalgic for the school days and realising how easy and simple life was then. I love telling this to HSC students and just getting that blank stare like I suddenly shape-shifted into two aliens. But its true.

Agreed. What type of engineering are you doing, and what year are you up to?

Quote:
I've heard stories about fluid mechanics, I feel sorry for you man

Fluid mechanics for mechs must be much more difficult than the civil version of it? I didn't find (civil) fluid mechanics that bad.

Quote:

Agreed. I blitzed year 10 and got rolled in year 11 and did alright in year 12.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Finished my assignment at 5am this morning... Handed it in... Now sleep time
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

MidfieldMaestro wrote:
My turn. BEng (Civil) (Hons). So tough to get a job these days, there's so much competition. A lot of graduates for very few places. Haven't worked a day this year, such is the state of the industry atm. My former supervisor was astonished when I told him about 60 of us graduated, as when he finished about 10 years ago, there were about 30 grads from his class and all had no problems finding a job.

You would have to do a thesis for Honours? If so, how did you go?
Are you thinking of further study?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search