The Official University/Education Thread

The Official University/Education Thread

Author
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
ozboy wrote:
MidfieldMaestro wrote:
My turn. BEng (Civil) (Hons). So tough to get a job these days, there's so much competition. A lot of graduates for very few places. Haven't worked a day this year, such is the state of the industry atm. My former supervisor was astonished when I told him about 60 of us graduated, as when he finished about 10 years ago, there were about 30 grads from his class and all had no problems finding a job.

You would have to do a thesis for Honours? If so, how did you go?
Are you thinking of further study?

UoN engineering honours is in-built in the program. it goes solely off marks of 2nd, 3rd & 4th year subjects.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

seems crazy that people found year 11 harder than year 12 to me. year 10 was a freaking cruise, but so was year 11 i thought. year 11 for us was all about getting used to studying the specific subjects you'd be taking on in the hsc. our school (it was a selective school) just drilled home to us that year 11 was about finding the best/most efficient way for each student to study. once we nailed our own groove, year 12 was meant to be not such a jump for us. i found that apart from maths, most subjects' year 11 work didn't really affect the year 12 stuff (aka you could mostly forget what was learned in year 11, and year 12 was a clean slate).

we had 170-180 kids in our year, and something like 105-110 got 90+uai.
StreetzFC
StreetzFC
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So UoN doesn't run Spanish courses... Day ruined
pv4
pv4
Legend

StreetzFC wrote:

i know a few guys in one of my lab groups are doing german as their elective.

could you do a spanish course via correspondence at some other uni, and get credit for it?
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:
Year 12 was harder for me. That's when the extension 2 maths started having more and more complex multiple working page answers. They took a lot more effort to understand and I couldn't finish my homework in class anymore.
I don't think the other subjects were all that much harder other than the teachers piling on the pressure by emphasizing how important each assessment was.

Worth noting that I don't think Funky did any maths classes in year 12?

Yeah, I didn't. I did do relatively "easy" subjects, but then, as I said, I found those subjects were easier 2nd time round.

pv4
pv4
Legend

RedKat wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Doing fluid mechanics and advanced thermodynamics in the same semester was the worst idea ever.

That sounds horrible. what engineering are you doing?

mechanical engineering

MM i'm not sure what type of fluids stuff you civil kids dealt with. our course is actually labelled "transport phenomena". we deal with viscous & inviscid flow, fluid machinery, turbulence, heat transfer (convection, conduction, radiation), heat exchangers, radiation.

the problem we have at UoN is the main dude that runs thermodynamics/fluids is an absolute nutter. complete genius, and knows his shit backwards, but he's not everyone's cup of tea. he's some weird form of mixed french-canadian/indian/australian heritage, and is batshit mental when it comes to teaching. it's either really easy for some people to get what he's on about, or you're stuck learning the entire subject from a textbook.

Edited by pv4: 28/5/2013 01:09:09 PM
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lol scumbag Townsville.

When I graduated years ago there were 0 Accountancy positions anywhere.

This week they run an article on a "severe shortage of accountants and lawyers in firms".

Bullllshiitttt.

Fuck it, got my IT job, dilligaf.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Is that the only fluid/heat transfer subject you do? We had a subject in 2nd year which just focused on fluids which then went into a subject in 3rd year that expanded into heat transfer. It would be a lot harder being exposed to it all at once.

Have you done any control theory? I think that's a far worse subject than both fluids and thermodynamics. A large amount of the time I had no clue what I working out or why.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
seems crazy that people found year 11 harder than year 12 to me. year 10 was a freaking cruise, but so was year 11 i thought. year 11 for us was all about getting used to studying the specific subjects you'd be taking on in the hsc. our school (it was a
selective school) just drilled home to us that year 11 was about finding the best/most efficient way for each student to study. once we nailed our own groove, year 12 was meant to be not such a jump for us. i found that apart from maths, most subjects' year 11 work didn't really affect the year 12 stuff (aka you could mostly forget what was learned in year 11, and year 12 was a clean slate).

we had 170-180 kids in our year, and something like 105-110 got 90+uai.

Haha same. Which one did you go to?

Edit: Just realized your in NSW not VIC :oops:

Edited by 433: 28/5/2013 02:04:15 PM
pv4
pv4
Legend

chillbilly wrote:
Is that the only fluid/heat transfer subject you do? We had a subject in 2nd year which just focused on fluids which then went into a subject in 3rd year that expanded into heat transfer. It would be a lot harder being exposed to it all at once.

Have you done any control theory? I think that's a far worse subject than both fluids and thermodynamics. A large amount of the time I had no clue what I working out or why.

we have a course in 2nd year called "thermofluids" which is basically a half-half intro to both thermodynamics & fluids. in that we covered fluid properties, pressure, mass/momentum, bernoulli, intro to work/heat, first law of thermo, intro to second law. it was all pretty much intro stuff.

then in 3rd year we have transport phenomena (fluids) which i described earlier, and we also have appliead/advanced thermodynamics which focuses on everything in the 2nd year course for the thermo half, more second law, gas & vapour power plants, heat pump refrigeration, ideal mixtures/psychrometric applications, and intro to combustion.

by control you mean elec yeah? i'm leaving that till the end lol. i've done an extreme intro elec course, but still have two more to do. one used to be a straight up elec course, but they've now changed it so it's a mechatronics-specific course, and apparently the dude who runs it is a fxxxtard and is hell. then in 4th year there is the dreaded elec4400 - automatic control. i don't know too many people who come out of that course and say they did it easily. except a mate of mine who didn't study at all, and didn't learn anything, but relied purely on copying other people's assignments plus guessing 90% correct in a multiple choice final exam worth 70%. i really don't look forward to that subject - some guys in my lab group were telling me they had an assignment for it that they spent 10+ hours doing laplace on. fark that
pv4
pv4
Legend

why they make us spend so much time on those two things, yet don't teach us a single thing on hydraulic systems & how to design hydraulic equipment, has me fxxxing stumped.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Anybody here taken time off during their course to work/ go overseas? Half way through my first year at the moment and just not enjoying it, but I don't want to defer in case I won't have the motivation to go back, considering I barely give a fuck now. :lol: :lol:
pv4
pv4
Legend

jlm8695 wrote:
Anybody here taken time off during their course to work/ go overseas? Half way through my first year at the moment and just not enjoying it, but I don't want to defer in case I won't have the motivation to go back, considering I barely give a fuck now. :lol: :lol:

i haven't, but have had a few friends do so. one friend went to france, another went to leeds. but they both went to uni over there, and fulfilled a few program-specific courses but mostly general elective courses over there.

that's probably your best option - travel, but still study.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

pv4 wrote:

by control you mean elec yeah? i'm leaving that till the end lol. i've done an extreme intro elec course, but still have two more to do. one used to be a straight up elec course, but they've now changed it so it's a mechatronics-specific course, and apparently the dude who runs it is a fxxxtard and is hell. then in 4th year there is the dreaded elec4400 - automatic control. i don't know too many people who come out of that course and say they did it easily. except a mate of mine who didn't study at all, and didn't learn anything, but relied purely on copying other people's assignments plus guessing 90% correct in a multiple choice final exam worth 70%. i really don't look forward to that subject - some guys in my lab group were telling me they had an assignment for it that they spent 10+ hours doing laplace on. fark that

Logic calculations. Dampers, springs, PID controllers, all that sort of stuff. Our was MECH.
We had several assignments like that one. You'd spend hours and hours doing the algorithms only to get the wrong answer and have to go back through every line to find the one spot you went wrong and then do it all again. Then you'd have to stick into excel to see if you got it right and then to recheck put it into Matlab.
Pretty much everyone got away with cheating in one assignment. Couldn't find where we went wrong in the hundreds of lines of working. It was known what the final answer was and what it looked like so you would make the last few lines correct and draw the correct graphs, tack it on the end of our incorrect working and hand it in. We got 100%. Fairly sure we could have just written anything on all but the last page. Who wants to mark 10+ pages of working?:lol: :lol:
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

jlm8695 wrote:

I took a gap year. And travelled, and whilst it was the best decision I'll ever make, it's hard to go back to study and come back to your old life. Most of my friends still haven't gotten over school a few years down the track and it pisses me off. I'm looking to head back overseas in a few years, but not until I have a degree or some accreditation.

If you're not motivated to study, then maybe travelling is a good idea, but I found it just as hard when I got back, if not harder.
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
ozboy wrote:
MidfieldMaestro wrote:
My turn. BEng (Civil) (Hons). So tough to get a job these days, there's so much competition. A lot of graduates for very few places. Haven't worked a day this year, such is the state of the industry atm. My former supervisor was astonished when I told him about 60 of us graduated, as when he finished about 10 years ago, there were about 30 grads from his class and all had no problems finding a job.

You would have to do a thesis for Honours? If so, how did you go?
Are you thinking of further study?

UoN engineering honours is in-built in the program. it goes solely off marks of 2nd, 3rd & 4th year subjects.

So why call it Honours, if its a standard requirement?
keepersball
keepersball
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

433 wrote:
I'm doing pretty well in most of my subjects, but I barely pass English. Anyone else the same?

Edited by 433: 27/5/2013 11:40:08 PM

Myself and everyone bar a few at my school. We kill Math every year with a few state rankings, yet English chews into our ATARs. A boy two years ago got state rankings in Physics and Chemistry, yet because of a poor English mark, he only got 99.90 (Yes "only" :lol: He was set to get .95 otherwise)
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

Because you got over a certain mark average. At Wollongong you no longer are required to do a thesis, you do a smaller 1 session research project, but I think you have to already have a mark that makes you unable to get honours.
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

chillbilly wrote:
Because you got over a certain mark average. At Wollongong you no longer are required to do a thesis, you do a smaller 1 session research project, but I think you have to already have a mark that makes you unable to get honours.

Ahh, so its just a ranking title. Not an extra year or two on top of a standard undergrad.
So you would go onto a Masters or PhD (so long as you got an Honours ranking)?
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Did/do you guys only have exams in Year 12?
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

KiwiChick1 wrote:

In NSW we have exams in years 10-12, but only the year 12 ones count for anything.
MidfieldMaestro
MidfieldMaestro
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

ozboy wrote:
chillbilly wrote:

Ahh, so its just a ranking title. Not an extra year or two on top of a standard undergrad.

Yeah pretty much. Early in my degree, one of my lecturers put it this way - The first 3 years of the degree is the standard part of it, and the 4th year is 'like' the honours year. It's filled with the capstone projects and your independent research project in an engineering field of choice. If you do well enough over the course of your degree (weighted average mark + marks in final year projects) you can graduate with honours.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

ozboy wrote:
chillbilly wrote:

I don't qualify my WAM is 60.5. To qualify you have to get >65, for honours >67.5. Even if I did have a high enough WAM I don't think I would unless the company I worked for paid me to do it.
StreetzFC
StreetzFC
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

pv4 wrote:
StreetzFC wrote:

i know a few guys in one of my lab groups are doing german as their elective.

could you do a spanish course via correspondence at some other uni, and get credit for it?

I probs could, but I don't want to have to go through that much effort to do that course. I'll most likely do French instead
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

keepersball wrote:
433 wrote:
I'm doing pretty well in most of my subjects, but I barely pass English. Anyone else the same?

Myself and everyone bar a few at my school. We kill Math every year with a few state rankings, yet English chews into our ATARs. A boy two years ago got state rankings in Physics and Chemistry, yet because of a poor English mark, he only got 99.90 (Yes "only" :lol: He was set to get .95 otherwise)

Do you go to a selective school?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

In NSW we have exams in years 10-12, but only the year 12 ones count for anything.

The only reason you do the 10-11 exams is so that you don't totally freak out in year 12 :lol:
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

keepersball wrote:
433 wrote:

I was the opposite, I did two English subjects in year 12 and scored in the top 3% of the state, but if you were to have put a year 7 Maths or Science test in front of me I'd only be able to write my name on it...and then I'd probably get bored and cover the paper with phallic art :lol:

I dropped Maths and Science in year 10 and took on a purely English/Humanities timetable, I actually enjoyed school after that.

World Class

Fredsta wrote:
keepersball wrote:
433 wrote:

I was the opposite, I did two English subjects in year 12 and scored in the top 3% of the state, but if you were to have put a year 7 Maths or Science test in front of me I'd only be able to write my name on it...and then I'd probably get bored and cover the paper with phallic art :lol:

I dropped Maths and Science in year 10 and took on a purely English/Humanities timetable, I actually enjoyed school after that.

Are you serious? :shock: I'm completely the opposite. I hate those subjects where there is no definitive answer and most of your work is bullshiting your way to top marks.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Studying journalism at Curtin University. Enjoying at the moment, got a fair few assignments to hand in soon though.

Edited by benjo: 28/5/2013 09:01:48 PM
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

433 wrote:
Fredsta wrote:
keepersball wrote:
433 wrote:

Are you serious? :shock: I'm completely the opposite. I hate those subjects where there is no definitive answer and most of your work is bullshiting your way to top marks.

:lol: That was my entire year 12.

My punctuation skills are pretty average but I can write and I enjoy analyzing texts, so I chose subjects that were assessed entirely by essays and just coasted through school with pretty much no homework other than reading texts and memorizing quotes.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search