Religion

Religion

Author
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Whats the point of trying to open their eyes mk? They have chosen their faith and they dont need your help in unchoosing it.
I was shocked to read that you think the bible is out dated in my opinion something thousands of years old will always be cutting edge.
Who says we dont live a joyous life mk? We are exactly the same as any other people tons of catholics have pre marital sex hardly any wouldnt and it would be an idiot who would deny themselves masturbation and pre marital sex because the bible says it people can make up their own minds i know i do
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
Whats the point? Youre saying she looked around for a church that practiced what she already does, just so she could put a label on herself? She didnt have to change a thing???

No, she deided she needed to straighten out her life, so looked around for a church that wasn't too demanding of her, and then just kept on doing what she was doing (slleping around, taking drugs et al) and thinking simply 'repenting' for all that on a Friday is an acceptable way of cleaning herself up and was how religion worked.
Quote:
They have chosen their faith and they dont need your help in unchoosing it.

I'd wager a fair few were born into it.
Quote:
tons of catholics have pre marital sex

just ask Sarah Palin :-"
"you're so quick to choose the path walked by the rightious." ...and people can't see what's wrong with the picture there.
I don't have a problem with what people want to believe, but some of these people are world leaders and they take instructions from their imaginary friends!

Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:

Quote:
They have chosen their faith and they dont need your help in unchoosing it.

I'd wager a fair few were born into it.

I was born in to it and have chosen to stay. But a few of the guys take it seriously and they shouldnt have to defend their beliefs and views like they are
Chilugal
Chilugal
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
The way you guys have an answer for everything proves that christianity is the worlds greatest cult.

????????????????????

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

One more comment about your video which I thought was hilarious, the host says:
"If you're religious and you believe the Bible is real because of faith, we can't touch you. It's an automatic tie, no one can bust you. blah blah blah..."

Chilugal's Translation:
"If you're an informed Christian, you have the answers already so this video isn't for you. It's for those who won't research and will believe everything we say without question."
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Group: Banned Members
See its perfect. Crazy?!

Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Your translation proves his point tbh... You even have an answer for his point that you always have a answer!
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Nico wrote:
Your translation proves his point tbh... You even have an answer for his point that you always have a answer!

And you have been told to answer... And you DO!
Blyth Spartan
Blyth Spartan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

johnsmith wrote:

Actually, you might be interested to know that football is said to be a religion for many people:

- it's something they do every week without questioning why;
- they not just believe it, but everything in them passionately supports it;
- the people find identity by being in community with others of like focus;
- it gives meaning for life for a lot of people (if not for football, life would be unbearable etc)
- people are willing to put their wallets where the mouths are.

I'm curious: what would it take to convince staunch Aussie football-religion fanatics to convert? or at least replace God as their priority passion ahead of football?

I noticed you said willing to put their wallets where their mouths are,so instead of paying $30 a week for the best coverage of Football known to the universe you suggest giving this amount to a church that praises God and has no plasma screen,?
God I believe loves Football,he made the sun and planets round to give us the hint.
And which God do you mean ... the one who is used as a swear word in almost every Hollywood movie and M rated show on pay TV ,or the Judean,muslim God who is never blasphemed against.
Or perhaps the Hindu Gods that explain human suffering in cold blooded NaZi type elitism.
croat23
croat23
Amateur
Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)Amateur (506 reputation)

johnsmith wrote:

Actually, you might be interested to know that football is said to be a religion for many people:

- it's something they do every week without questioning why;
- they not just believe it, but everything in them passionately supports it;
- the people find identity by being in community with others of like focus;
- it gives meaning for life for a lot of people (if not for football, life would be unbearable etc)
- people are willing to put their wallets where the mouths are.

I'm curious: what would it take to convince staunch Aussie football-religion fanatics to convert? or at least replace God as their priority passion ahead of football?

very nice!
I'm a catholic but you're not wrong.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
I was born in to it and have chosen to stay. But a few of the guys take it seriously and they shouldnt have to defend their beliefs and views like they are

The fact is, they feel the need to defend their beliefs. They have answers drummed into them from such a young age, before they even know the meaning of what they're being told, let alone the meaning of the questions theyr'e going to be asked and the challenges they're going to recieve from others. Surely you can't argue that this is right.

Did anybody see the Louis Theroux episode about 'the most hated family in america' and religion?? I suggest you download it and watch it. All of you.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

The fact is, they feel the need to defend their beliefs. They have answers drummed into them from such a young age, before they even know the meaning of what they're being told, let alone the meaning of the questions theyr'e going to be asked and the challenges they're going to recieve from others. Surely you can't argue that this is right.

If someone attacked something you strongly believed in, that you dedicated your life too, would you just sit there and take it? I know I sure as hell wouldn't.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

They're no dedicating their life to it, they're inheriting it.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

I don't agree with that, because IMO, you cannot force someone to believe anything...sure you can drum it into them at a young age, but soon enough free will kicks in, and those people will make their own choices, and follow their own beliefs.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
I don't agree with that, because IMO, you cannot force someone to believe anything...sure you can drum it into them at a young age, but soon enough free will kicks in, and those people will make their own choices, and follow their own beliefs.

So according to you, brainwashing is a work of fiction and Pavlov's dog was nonsense.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Yes, I do believe that Brainwashing is crap.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

So pavlov's dog experiment, something which conventional science has proven and accepted for many, many years now, is complete bullshit in your opinion.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

You're referencing that theory in the completely wrong way tbh.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
You're referencing that theory in the completely wrong way tbh.

That the frequent recurrance of an event can stimulate a predetermined or preprogrammed response?? No i'm not.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Brainwashing is crap? LOL. The holocaust was fake too?

Edited by mk0825: 20/9/2008 11:00:59 PM
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Considering you're referencing it in conjunction with 'brainwashing', yes you are.

Brainwashing is where you someone is apparently told what to think, what to believe. As I said before, IMO, this is impossible.

Pavlov's Dog is, as you said, a response that you've sub-consciously set, which appears in certain situations.
Two completely different things.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Propaganda does not work???
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Brainwashing is where you someone is apparently told what to think, what to believe. As I said before, IMO, this is impossible.

That is simply an extension of Pavlov's dog's experiment.
Quote:

There's that too.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Quote:
That is simply an extension of Pavlov's dog's experiment.

No it isn't. His experiment proved that we set our bodies to react to a certain situation, and that if certain parts of that situation were replicated, the response would be the same. It has nothing to do with brainwashing.

Quote:

Propaganda doesn't make you think something. It tells you what to think, be it through pointing out how shit your government is, or whatever. However, it is still your choice as to whether you choose to believe this or not.
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:

Did anybody see the Louis Theroux episode about 'the most hated family in america' and religion?? I suggest you download it and watch it. All of you.

I remember that. Made me angry watching tbh. Pretty unbelieveable and actually made it more confusing on peoples beliefs. Like, how they could acutually think that stuff. Kinda how some of my question arose for this thread. They take the bible the way they want to, when they want to.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
No it isn't. His experiment proved that we set our bodies to react to a certain situation, and that if certain parts of that situation were replicated, the response would be the same. It has nothing to do with brainwashing.

Yeah it is. Brainwashing: noun - a method for systematically changing attitudes or altering beliefs. Inducing a person to modify his or her beliefs, attitudes, or behavior by conditioning through various forms of pressure or torture.
I'd say druling at the sound of a bell is a change in behavior.
Quote:
Propaganda doesn't make you think something. It tells you what to think, be it through pointing out how shit your government is, or whatever. However, it is still your choice as to whether you choose to believe this or not.

So hardcore catholics believing Abortion is wrong and being anti-contraceptive is not being told what to think??:-s
Quote:
I remember that. Made me angry watching tbh. Pretty unbelieveable and actually made it more confusing on peoples beliefs. Like, how they could acutually think that stuff. Kinda how some of my question arose for this thread. They take the bible the way they want to, when they want to.

And when it was pointed out that they were contradicting passages in the bible or using contradicting or hypocritical texts, Theroux was branded a 'faggot'](*,) It was one of the most disturbing, wrong things i've ever seen...yet, fucking hillarious that there are these kind of fucked up people still alive.

Like I said, EVERYBODY who has posted in this thread should get on youtube and watch the "most hated family in america" episode.
Nico
Nico
World Class

Also watch this. :lol: Gervais is awesome

[youtube]E_EXqdJ4L7I[/youtube]
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Funky Munky wrote:

See here is the thing with propoganda. It tells you something whether it may be true or not BUT it either:

A) Does not allow for other theories

B) The people who promote the propoganda persecute other theories making them impossible to follow without persecution

C) Rubbishes other theories and makes them seem socially unacceptable.

or

D) All of the above.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Guest wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:

See here is the thing with propoganda. It tells you something whether it may be true or not BUT it either:

A) Does not allow for other theories

B) The people who promote the propoganda persecute other theories making them impossible to follow without persecution

C) Rubbishes other theories and makes them seem socially unacceptable.

or

D) All of the above.

This is all true. But people are still free to make their own choice. If they weren't, we'd all be drones following one ethic, one theory. As it stands, yes propaganda does exist, yes, it does all of the above that you've pointed out, yes it does make one Alternative seem more enticing than any other. But people are still free to choose what they want.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

But if your faced with the following situatiuon there is only 1 choice put forward to make.
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Quote:
Propaganda doesn't make you think something. It tells you what to think, be it through pointing out how shit your government is, or whatever.
Propaganda CAN make you think something - depends to what degree the propaganda is set.
Quote:
However, it is still your choice as to whether you choose to believe this or not.
In theory, yes. I could tell my 4yo niece that Derby are the best football team in England after Liverpool (her dads a LFC fan) and she'd take my word for it.

A relevant example of 'brainwashing' or 'propaganda' is climate change... duhh.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search