The Weather

The Weather

Author
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Council finally decided the grounds were dry enough, after more than a month of being closed, to open at 9am this morning. 9:10am its hammering down rain. Great decision.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 30 Mar 2017 7:26 AM
We did alright in Townville, it's the poor sods to the south that got majorly fucked up.

Have mates in Bowen that lost roofing/fences within the first few hours.

Some places have had more than 600mm of rain in 24 hours.

Farken insane.

-PB

LOL, Debbie done me in the end.  

But, got a couple of days off work last week.

Pity had to spend Friday chainsawing and clearing rocks out of the local causeway.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

View from the fence - 3 Apr 2017 12:48 PM
paulbagzFC - 30 Mar 2017 7:26 AM

LOL, Debbie done me in the end.  

But, got a couple of days off work last week.

Pity had to spend Friday chainsawing and clearing rocks out of the local causeway.

Bad damage?

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 4 Apr 2017 11:20 AM
View from the fence - 3 Apr 2017 12:48 PM

Bad damage?

-PB

House nah, we're on a hill.

Never seen so much rain so quickly though, then the wind right behind just washed loads of trees into creek.

The trees jammed in the causeways, debris behind that,

Water couldn't get away and 2 houses that are normally OK got run right through, so sad.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Has rained non stop since a thunderstorm about 3pm Saturday arvo but picked up Sunday at about 4pm to constant downpour and hasn't stopped and its 1am Monday morning. 
Been living in geelong since 1995 and went through the floods then and also a massive flood in dubbo in the early 90s but i can't remember rain like this so consistently. However there's no signs of anything like that... of course the barwon will overflow but it does that if you flush the toilet...

Heres me not getting time to use the wacker on our crushed concrete drainage at the side of the house on Saturday
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

scubaroo - 10 Apr 2017 1:12 AM
Has rained non stop since a thunderstorm about 3pm Saturday arvo but picked up Sunday at about 4pm to constant downpour and hasn't stopped and its 1am Monday morning. 
Been living in geelong since 1995 and went through the floods then and also a massive flood in dubbo in the early 90s but i can't remember rain like this so consistently. However there's no signs of anything like that... of course the barwon will overflow but it does that if you flush the toilet...

Heres me not getting time to use the wacker on our crushed concrete drainage at the side of the house on Saturday

Thr storm this morning in melbourne woke me up. Rain ruined my day at the footy to. Its died down now though
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

scubaroo - 10 Apr 2017 1:12 AM

Yeah I had to fly out as that cold front came over haha. Was fucked.

-PB

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Loudest noise I think I have ever heard.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/sinister-and-extremely-loud-bang-rocks-awake-sydneysiders/news-story/1067fa9a0bc676f5463db734191d6225NERVOUS Sydneysiders thought the worst when they were rocked awake in the early hours by a mystery — and extremely loud — bang.Steph, from Sydney’s lower North Shore told news.com.au “I genuinely thought the Harbour Bridge had blown up it was so loud.“The apartment building shook and the blinds fell down in our lounge room.“My sister lives a block away and texted me to ask if I’d heard an explosion too.”People on Twitter were equally nervous.“Heard a massive explosion from Sydney Harbour. What is going on?” one Tweet, reflective of many, said.“What the hell was that sound over Sydney?” said another. “Wtf was that? It sounded like an explosion right next to me.”Others wondered if it could have been a plane crash or, in the wake of Monday’s attack in Manchester, an altogether more sinister event.ABC News TV presenter Juanita Phillips even took to twitter to tell Sydney she’d driven down to the Harbour Bridge, “with the intention of helping the injured”.“We honestly thought a bomb had taken out the bridge,” she said.Another social media user asked the Twittersphere, “So was the HUGE bang at 5am just thunder? I thought someone just nuked us.”Well, we can indeed confirm it was just thunder. But even the Bureau of Meteorology weather experts agreed it sounded louder than usual.Meteorologist Steph Spackman was travelling to work at 4.30am when the thunder jolted her. “I was at Epping when I heard a huge thunderclap overhead,” she told news.com.au.The lightning cracks appeared to be particularly loud on Sydney’s north shore.“Everyone loves thunder,” Ms Spackman said. “Just not at 5am in the morning before they get up.”Sydney’s rather noisy start to the day comes as Brisbane, yet again, struggles to get to work through thick fog delaying flights at the city’s airport.Lightning strikes on NSW on Wednesday morning at around 5.30am just as the storm was passing Sydney. Picture: Lightningmaps.orgLightning strikes on NSW on Wednesday morning at around 5.30am just as the storm was passing Sydney. Picture: Lightningmaps.orgSource:SuppliedMs Spackman said a low pressure trough crossed parts of NSW early on Wednesday morning and hit a southerly change that came up the coast.Combined they created the perfect conditions for an ear splitting early morning weather event.Lightning radars recorded more than 4500 strikes in the wee hours.It wasn’t just Sydney either. Storms hit the south coast, Canberra, Blue Mountains, the Hunter, North West slopes and Tablelands.But what about the volume of the thunderclaps?Morning commuters told news.com.au they were “louder than any thunder than I’ve ever heard” and the sound was “terrifying”.The storm passed strongly but swiftly over Sydney. Picture: Intellicast.The storm passed strongly but swiftly over Sydney. Picture: Intellicast.Source:SuppliedMs Spackman has a few theories as to why it probably seemed worse than it actually was.Firstly, many thunderstorms close to Sydney are actually centred offshore meaning the sound weakens as it travels towards the eardrums of the city’s citizens. In contrast, this one passed directly overhead.“It was just a normal thunderstorm but I think people thought it was louder because it was the dead of night, everyone was asleep.“You don’t have the usual background hum of the city at 3am so there’s nothing to compete with the sound of the thunderstorm,” said Ms Spackman.Most of the storms have now headed out to sea leading to what could be a sunny afternoon across Sydney with a high of 23C.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
vanlassen - 24 May 2017 2:18 PM
The storm passed strongly but swiftly over Sydney. Picture: Intellicast.

In that picture, I'm located in the top most orange-ish part, roughly. We copped it suddenly and violently, albeit for a short period of time. Seemed to pass within a few hours, and today has been pretty delightful otherwise.

Credit to this popular thread. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Ahhh Monsoon Trough has appeared and now comes the rain.

Looking at anywhere between 300mm to a metre of rain over the next 10 days.

-PB

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search