The Flag Thread

The Flag Thread

Author
AzzaMarch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RedshirtWilly wrote:

Can I ask what the most common proposed model is now?

And why the need for a Republic? Is it to just replace the Queen with a Governor-General like head of state? If not why not just leave everything as it is and cut the Queen out?

Just seems like "Republican" is another word for "Anti Monarchist" right now, which is fine but what model is most supported by Australia? Has this been investigated?

Edited by redshirtwilly: 1/2/2016 01:14:04 PM

If you cut the queen out, that means you are a republic. The "minimalist" republican position is just that - the GG is the de facto head of state as the queen's rep. The minimalist model would just make that de jure.

I think the most common idea is a G-G (or president - whatever the name is) that is voted on by 2/3 majority of a joint sitting of parliament. And have a fixed term - 5 years most commonly.

That would mean it is someone supported by both sides.

But you do make a fair point - there are people who want to vote directly, or who want to actually create a more "presidential" system etc.

I don't think there has been much investigation into the model in recent times.

What killed the last referendum was that Howard arranged the Constitutional Convention that preceded the referendum so that there would be a maximising of the range of views - which would guarantee dissention within republican ranks as to the model proposed.

You must blame the republicans of the time as well for not getting their position settled beforehand.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

AzzaMarch wrote:
RedshirtWilly wrote:

And why the need for a Republic? Is it to just replace the Queen with a Governor-General like head of state? If not why not just leave everything as it is and cut the Queen out?

Just seems like "Republican" is another word for "Anti Monarchist" right now, which is fine but what model is most supported by Australia? Has this been investigated?

If you cut the queen out, that means you are a republic. The "minimalist" republican position is just that - the GG is the de facto head of state as the queen's rep. The minimalist model would just make that de jure.

I think the most common idea is a G-G (or president - whatever the name is) that is voted on by 2/3 majority of a joint sitting of parliament. And have a fixed term - 5 years most commonly.

But you do make a fair point - there are people who want to vote directly, or who want to actually create a more "presidential" system etc.

What killed the last referendum was that Howard arranged the Constitutional Convention that preceded the referendum so that there would be a maximising of the range of views - which would guarantee dissention within republican ranks as to the model proposed.

You must blame the republicans of the time as well for not getting their position settled beforehand.

Makes sense. I wonder if the "minimalist" approach mixed with the new flag, anthem and pointing to NZ as an example while maintaining the same constitution that we have had and has worked for a while will appease everyone
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Thanks Azza, I was going to write something longish like that tonight but you saved me the trouble.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

AzzaMarch
AzzaMarch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

mcjules wrote:
Thanks Azza, I was going to write something longish like that tonight but you saved me the trouble.

Haha! No worries
AzzaMarch
AzzaMarch
Semi-Pro

RedshirtWilly wrote:
AzzaMarch wrote:
RedshirtWilly wrote:

Makes sense. I wonder if the "minimalist" approach mixed with the new flag, anthem and pointing to NZ as an example while maintaining the same constitution that we have had and has worked for a while will appease everyone

I think the key issue will be all republicans getting behind a single model. Because that is the first thing monarchists will point to (and fair enough to).

I think the process that the official republican groups throw around is to have 2 votes. One to choose the preferred republican model, and then the actual referendum putting the specific model up against the current arrangement.

Regarding the flag - I think the NZ experience will be important. If it gets shot down then I think that hurts our momentum. Whereas if the new flag gets up I think it will help to illustrate that it can be done.

I dunno though. As a teenager at the time of the failed republican referendum, I was incredulous as to how the republic didn't get up. The way it all fell apart has made me relatively cynical these days as to how willing the general public would be to change if it came up again. Particularly as our population continues to age, and therefore become more conservative over time.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

AzzaMarch wrote:
RedshirtWilly wrote:
AzzaMarch wrote:
RedshirtWilly wrote:

I think the key issue will be all republicans getting behind a single model. Because that is the first thing monarchists will point to (and fair enough to).

I think the process that the official republican groups throw around is to have 2 votes. One to choose the preferred republican model, and then the actual referendum putting the specific model up against the current arrangement.

Regarding the flag - I think the NZ experience will be important. If it gets shot down then I think that hurts our momentum. Whereas if the new flag gets up I think it will help to illustrate that it can be done.

I dunno though. As a teenager at the time of the failed republican referendum, I was incredulous as to how the republic didn't get up. The way it all fell apart has made me relatively cynical these days as to how willing the general public would be to change if it came up again. Particularly as our population continues to age, and therefore become more conservative over time.

I'm not sure what they're talking about now but some pollies were saying at the time (after the referendum failed) that we should have a plebiscite with a simple question like "Should we become a republic?" and then proceed from there pending the result.

I'm normally a fan of doing things incrementally but really it makes no sense to do it this way here. New flag & become a Republic at the same time.

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

AzzaMarch wrote:

Of course they would. Force everyone including people who don't care or are Monarchists to front up to a compulsory ballet to determine which would be the lesser of two evils in their eyes...

I suppose if the first question is "Should we become a Republic?" then we can go to there but still, would rather Republican groups give us in the "meh" pile something to support
AzzaMarch
AzzaMarch
Semi-Pro

RedshirtWilly wrote:
AzzaMarch wrote:

Of course they would. Force everyone including people who don't care or are Monarchists to front up to a compulsory ballet to determine which would be the lesser of two evils in their eyes...

I suppose if the first question is "Should we become a Republic?" then we can go to there but still, would rather Republican groups give us in the "meh" pile something to support

Not really - I should have explained in more detail. The vote to choose the model would not be in a referendum format. Probably would be voluntary postal vote or similar. More just to establish among people who are interested as to what model they prefer.

Only the actual vote of a specific republic model vs the status quo would be in the form of a binding referendum vote.

I don't think its a bad idea - gets the republicans to agree on the format before actually arguing against the status quo.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

AzzaMarch wrote:
RedshirtWilly wrote:
AzzaMarch wrote:

Not really - I should have explained in more detail. The vote to choose the model would not be in a referendum format. Probably would be voluntary postal vote or similar. More just to establish among people who are interested as to what model they prefer.

Only the actual vote of a specific republic model vs the status quo would be in the form of a binding referendum vote.

I don't think its a bad idea - gets the republicans to agree on the format before actually arguing against the status quo.

Ah sweet thanks for clarifying.

Definitely. Can't help but think once Republicans sort out their stance it's all about making Australians use their imagination - part of history, change etc.
Jeff W
Jeff W
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

Use non-binding plebiscites to get public opinion for the "Should we have our own Australian head of state?" question and the choice of republican model. The referendum would then pit the preferred republican model against the current monarchist system as a simple Yes (Republic) or No (Monarchy) vote.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Yeah , theyre gonna have to change all the state flags too then

Edited by scott21: 3/2/2016 05:02:35 AM
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Jeff W wrote:
Use non-binding plebiscites to get public opinion for the "Should we have our own Australian head of state?" question and the choice of republican model. The referendum would then pit the preferred republican model against the current monarchist system as a simple Yes (Republic) or No (Monarchy) vote.

I cant see why we have to change anything about the current hierarchy of governors and governor general. Simply make the governor general our head of state. All he or she is is a figurehead to cut ribbons at new train stations etc

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 wrote:
Jeff W wrote:

I cant see why we have to change anything about the current hierarchy of governors and governor general. Simply make the governor general our head of state. All he or she is is a figurehead to cut ribbons at new train stations etc

Your suggestion is obviously the simplest, most cost effective way to transition to a republic without significantly changing how our government works. Instead of the PM bothering to ask the Crown on their opinion, he/she will just give them the job as they see fit. Yet i can just it being attacked by populists crying that it's just "Giving more power to Politicians" or some horseshite of similar note.

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Guardian wrote:
[size=7]New Zealand votes to keep its flag after 56.6% back the status quo[/size]
After a lengthy campaign, voters have decided by a margin of more than 10 points to retain the flag with its strong links to the United Kingdom
Eleanor Ainge Roy
Thursday 24 March 2016 21.54 AEDT

The current New Zealand flag and the blue and black Kyle Lockwood-designed flag fly on a building in New Lynn, Auckland
Photograph: Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

New Zealand has voted to keep its traditional flag in a snub to the prime minister, John Key.

Ten months and tens of million dollars later, the existing flag has won an historic referendum with more than 56% of the vote
Preliminary results announced at 8.30pm local time on Thursday showed that 1,200,003 (56.6%) of voters wanted to keep the Union flag-centred emblem. Only 915,008 (43.2%) opted for the proposed new design by Kyle Lockwood featuring a silver fern.

The results of the referendum, which is estimated to have cost NZ$26m (£12m), are expected be confirmed next Wednesday.

Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Quite a close referendum in the end. Given the expense I can't see another vote for a while, but that result makes me think they may change eventually if they can find the right design.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

The important thing is that we get the chance to beat the Kiwis to something.
Dr Ben Carson
Dr Ben Carson
Weekender
Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Good choice NZ.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Dr Ben Carson wrote:
Good choice NZ.

A win for democracy
SocaWho
SocaWho
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

does anyone get sick of Ray martin mentioning flag change every australia day lol
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

You just know the progressive left were desperate for this to happen which makes it even funnier that it failed
SocaWho
SocaWho
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

lukerobinho wrote:
You just know the progressive left were desperate for this to happen which makes it even funnier that it failed

the left hate plebisites and referendums...their only way of ramming through their agenda is through in party legislation
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

SocaWho wrote:
lukerobinho wrote:

the left hate plebisites and referendums...their only way of ramming through their agenda is through in party legislation

:lol:

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

Dr Ben Carson
Dr Ben Carson
Weekender
Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
SocaWho wrote:
lukerobinho wrote:

=d>
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

SocaWho wrote:
lukerobinho wrote:

=d>
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Burn it.
milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Probably because Playford is a shithole.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

milan_7 wrote:

Inb4 "ofc, Adelaide Utd are based there", etc.

But seriously, that is a slap in the face to vexillological design. Don't even know where to start.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

paladisious wrote:
milan_7 wrote:

Inb4 "ofc, Adelaide Utd are based there", etc.

But seriously, that is a slap in the face to vexillological design. Don't even know where to start.

Are there any good council flags? Particularly new or recently renamed councils will all be as shit as that one.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Bump, with a good example of a flag change based on good design principles:

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Here's a free pdf link to the mentioned 14 page booklet, Good Flag Bad Flag. Probably been linked here before.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search