Front and back post marking at corners.

Front and back post marking at corners.

Author
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
krones3 wrote:
I use it with U9's.
Also my team on their own started to take short corners last year. bloody fantastic. of cause the parents of the kids with the boot did not think much of it. I liked it because it came from the players also fits in with my philosophy of keeping the ball.
was proud as punch.

That's great! Particularly because it was player-driven.

If I can offer some advice, it is to instruct them that every 3rd or 4th corner, try a traditional kick rather than a short corner. Having set plays, plans, etc are great - but when the opposition team comes to expect things it's good to change it up, and you may just catch them off their guard because they'll be expecting what you've been routinely doing.
SoccerDad
SoccerDad
Weekender
Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
krones3 wrote:
I use it with U9's.
Also my team on their own started to take short corners last year. bloody fantastic. of cause the parents of the kids with the boot did not think much of it. I liked it because it came from the players also fits in with my philosophy of keeping the ball.
was proud as punch.

This is what my 11's team did last year. I like to keep the ball so used a lot of short corners and then used the odd "traditional" corner to keep the opposition on their toes.

Just hadn't thought too much about defending them.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
SoccerDad wrote:
krones3 wrote:
I use it with U9's.
was proud as punch.

This is what my 11's team did last year. I like to keep the ball so used a lot of short corners and then used the odd "traditional" corner to keep the opposition on their toes.

Just hadn't thought too much about defending them.

I was doing completely zonal, using something I got out of 442 Performance.

Then others were using just a player on each goal post, and man marked, picked up players individually.

Eventually I've gone for that, then four players marking zones in front of the goal, with others picking up loose payers and one player in advanced position.

I like PV4s model though and will try it next time I coach a 11 v 11 team. There is little instruction from FFA NC on this, except to say don't spend much time on it.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Socceroos concede v Kuwait from a corner and didn't have a man on the post - which would have saved the goal.
SoccerDad
SoccerDad
Weekender
Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)

Ange obviously has his reasons but it just doesn't make sense not to have a man on the posts.

2 goals in 2 games is a little concerning.
joel31
joel31
Weekender
Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)Weekender (26 reputation)

Yes a man on the post would've saved it but basic marking and positioning was the problem with that goal
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

First goal in the Tajikistan game could have easily been stopped by a bloke on the far post.

I'm no tactical genius but what are these coaches thinking by not having a bloke front and back post?

Member since 2008.

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Munrubenmuz wrote:
First goal in the Tajikistan game could have easily been stopped by a bloke on the far post.

I'm no tactical genius but what are these coaches thinking by not having a bloke front and back post?

Some coaches would prefer to have the extra man on an opponent or to outnumber the opponents when the ball comes into the box. No decision will be perfect when it comes to defending in a corner. I have always let my keepers decide whether they would prefer a player on each post or just the front post. Then I tell the rest to mark and follow their man.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

theFOOTBALLlover wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:

Some coaches would prefer to have the extra man on an opponent or to outnumber the opponents when the ball comes into the box. No decision will be perfect when it comes to defending in a corner. I have always let my keepers decide whether they would prefer a player on each post or just the front post. Then I tell the rest to mark and follow their man.

Unless there's 8 of them in the box there's always enough for a man on each post.

I hear you but the risk of a shit goal, and that 1st one dribbled over the line last night, outweighs any negatives if you ask me.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

A player on the the far post the other night and Australia wouldn't have scored their first against the UAE.  Could have easily hacked it away.

Why?  Someone enlighten me.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

And again.  

Member since 2008.

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

the stats from scoring at a corner are 1 in 49,
to counter attack from opposition corner and score is1 in 7 , so better to setup for a counter.

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

pv4
pv4
Legend

dirkvanadidas - 14 Jun 2017 4:18 AM
to counter attack from opposition corner and score is1 in 7 , so better to setup for a counter.

Defend first, attack later, IMO.

The system I drew up above ^^^^^^ IMO is still the best. The team I play in now, we have ditched one of the 2 zonal headers on the 6 yard box and use only 1 whom stands solo in the danger zone. I still like the 2 better. 
Muz
Muz
Legend

dirkvanadidas - 14 Jun 2017 4:18 AM
to counter attack from opposition corner and score is 1 in 7 , so better to setup for a counter.

Your fullbacks / sweeper etc aren't going to counter so why not have them on the posts.  It'd be a rare team that has 10 players in the box defending a corner anyway.

@PV4.  Yes.  I'm a convert to zonal marking in the box. (With a tweak or 2.)

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
pv4
pv4
Legend

Decentric - 24 Dec 2014 10:16 PM

I like PV4s model though and will try it next time I coach a 11 v 11 team. There is little instruction from FFA NC on this, except to say don't spend much time on it.

Decentric - did you ever use "my" system? Any feedback? Interested to hear from anyone whom took it and ran with it. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search