A-League expansion on the agenda in time for the 2017-18 season

A-League expansion on the agenda in time for the 2017-18 season

Author
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Joffa wrote:
I guess if done right the markets where the fish are smaller in number should still be able to provide a[size=9] financially viable second tier comp and average in the 5 - 8 k range...[/size]

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
scott21 wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I believe South's 40 year lease gives them control over all domestic football at the venue, so it would be near impossible for a franchise unconnected to SMFC to play out of Lakeside. Whilst Lakeside has good road and tram connections to the South-East suburbs and makes sense as a venue for a side representing that area, I suspect the ease of public transport into the CBD would most likely lead to AAMI Park being the venue of choice, perhaps with City switching to Etihad if they get their shit-right on the pitch and start pulling decent crowds.

You mean Souths wouldn't allow it.

Is it enough to call a team "South Eastern Melbourne" and expect fans to come?
How would they differ from Victory or City? Is the geographical bond enough?
How do they unite the region?
I don't know much about the area.

I don't know if SMFC would accept it or not, but it would appear unlikely - I doubt any business would willingly play a part in a rival business moving in on their turf... Especially when South are so keen to get into the A-League themselves.

Without Lakeside as an option I would suggest that having the training base in the south-east suburbs (as suggested by imonfourfourtwo, this could be St Kilda's current training faciltities), and putting an emphasis on local engagement and marketing, with the team's only central Melbourne activities being on game-day. If the team is clearly 'FROM' the area, then there's more reason to believe that the local supporters will feel a stronger attachment than for a team that represents all-over-everywhere.

I suspect the plan to engage locals, particularly school children, and identify as the team of the 'southern region', would be SMFC's aim if they are able to get an expansion license. Unfortunately, it's difficult to do this prior to getting a license because of both the cost factor and the lack of interest in anyone following a non-A-League side.

Benjamin wrote:

Another idea, is to open up second side in Brisbane - representing the state of Queensland rather than the city itself or a suburb. There was talk that some fans were lost to Roar when they switched from Queensland to Brisbane (admittedly price changes and some poor communications with supporters didn't help either). Call them Queensland Rovers, and have them play games in Brisbane, Townsville, on the Gold Coast to engage the whole state. Also adds the derby which is both city rivals and city vs state rivals into the fixture list.

Do you mean playing out of Suncorp? Otherwise it's QE2. Or Ballymore, or even the Gabba. I think it's important to be at a different 'home' venue if possible - even if the venue isn't perfect for football.

You would only be able to play 1 game in GC and Townsville max per year if they played at Suncorp. Fans in Brisbane would prefer to see Roar if you can only see eg 7 home games live. The one element Heart proved in Melbourne was that some people will go and see another team simply because it's another team. They WANT to support someone other than the team they've been given. So the Roar lose a few, or never got them in the first place, and the new boys pick them up... Along with all the country boys who never felt able to get behind a Brisbane rather than Queensland side. Don't see why playing 3 games in Townsville, 3 on the Gold Coast, 2 in Cairns, 7 in Brisbane would be a huge issue. Shorter season tickets, lower prices, etc.

Then comes the next issue, do you dump games vs Ccm, Phoenix and glory to the countryside every year or do you give them mv, sfc etc? Prioritising of 'big' games for one venue over another shouldn't be a huge issue either, because every game in Townsville, Cairns, Gold Coast, etc., would be something of an event due to the lack of said fixtures. Logic would obviously push toward having the derby games in Brisbane to maximize on 'visiting' Roar fans.

This also kills off potential GC or Fury bids down the line. Or they would eventually change to Brisbane Rovers.
Im not in love with the idea but if it means another team in Qld I think it's good. The key would be focusing on Ipswich, Logan and Sunshine Coast. GC and the rest would follow naturally. It could potentially assist with GC and Fury options in the future - if this franchise took off there would be the possibility to slowly switch more fixtures to the city that is providing the greatest backing. An 'organic' move away from city. If Gold Coast goosed it and Townsville/Cairns had the numbers, switch to North Queensland Rovers.

A 12 team comp is 33 games (probably), thats either 16 or 17 home games. I would recommend playing out of QE2 (eventually hoping for the government to alter the arena)
1 x GC
1 x Townsville
1 x Sunshine Coast
1 x Ipswich (but they don't have a-league standard)

Fans should be encouraged to travel to home games instead of away games.

Its not hard to imagine
"The People's team" bla bla bla

Similar with maroon shorts. With the letters QR over a Queensland map etc ( not to be confused with Queensland Rail) . They'd probably f$ck it up though, and have an all maroon kit and call it Qld United

In this situation I would like to see certain criteria met by locations to host games eg. Local publicity, tv and radio. Local advertising and backing from the councils. Beer tents, food trucks, mingle etc. Saturday games, to make the "regional" games an event people look forward to every year. This is so other centres have opportunities to host matches also if they have the facilities and can generate a good public.

Indeed. I'm not married to the idea either, but it has possibilities which are perhaps not there for a single Fury or GC bid if we want to expand in Queensland.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Joffa wrote:
I guess if done right the markets where the fish are smaller in number should still be able to provide a financially viable second tier comp and average in the 5 - 8 k range...

Crowds aren't the issue when setting up the new franchises - commercial backing is. The problem with the smaller areas is that they don't have as much business to back the local team. Business tends to gather in the big cities, and that's why the new franchises are more likely to come from them.

Another, perhaps less palatable idea:

Collingwood - didn't work in the 90s, but that was a rebadged Heidelberg rather than a new club, and in another age in terms of football in this country. As much as I hate Collingwood and anything else in black-and-white stripes - with their admin and training facilities, physical training and medical staff, and more importantly their database of one-eyed Pie supporters, they would be a side with good potential. Plus, always good to have a pantomime villain that everyone can hate.

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
Joffa wrote:
I guess if done right the markets where the fish are smaller in number should still be able to provide a financially viable second tier comp and average in the 5 - 8 k range...

Crowds aren't the issue when setting up the new franchises - commercial backing is. The problem with the smaller areas is that they don't have as much business to back the local team. Business tends to gather in the big cities, and that's why the new franchises are more likely to come from them.

Another, perhaps less palatable idea:

Collingwood - didn't work in the 90s, but that was a rebadged Heidelberg rather than a new club, and in another age in terms of football in this country. As much as I hate Collingwood and anything else in black-and-white stripes - with their admin and training facilities, physical training and medical staff, and more importantly their database of one-eyed Pie supporters, they would be a side with good potential. Plus, always good to have a pantomime villain that everyone can hate.

Already got them:

hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
Joffa wrote:
I guess if done right the markets where the fish are smaller in number should still be able to provide a[size=9] financially viable second tier comp and average in the 5 - 8 k range...[/size]

-PB

Why?? If the 2nd Tier comp is formed from NPL clubs (which I believe is most likely) then the added costs would most likely be the travel costs and maybe throw in some extra in for salaries. These NPL clubs currently cover player salaries with current financial structures and no travel costs. The 2nd Tier will give them a national exposure for sponsors (increase in salaries) and some chucked in from the FFA (through a broadcast deal, SBS???). Tier 2 clubs would need about $800K for travel for the year plus $200K for salaries x 8 clubs or about $4.0M broadcast deal for the 2nd Tier.

It's not that far fetched.

It won't happen in 2017/18 or maybe 2021/22, but I see it happening in say 2025/26 and then having two broadcast rights deals to establish and then when the current A-league licences expire in 2034 then viola, P&R will be up and running.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Have companies even been approached regarding major sponsorship. Especially if they are expanding their market and tourist industry with the help of national exposure. I thought this was one of the cheapest games to run.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Joffa wrote:

While I'm all for a second tier national competition, as I have stated in the past, after conversations I had on the weekend with people in the know this won't happen.

The second tier will be the NPL State Leagues.

By the way it appears that MVFC and MCFC may be in the NPLV in 2015. A big push is being made to enter.

MVFC is running a NYL quad and an U20 Development Squad that includes players from 2013 NTC squad, 1998 born and 1997 born players.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Have companies even been approached regarding major sponsorship. Especially if they are expanding their market and tourist industry with the help of national exposure. I thought this was one of the cheapest games to run.

Great idea - I'm sure no one at FFA has considered actively seeking sponsorship. They should get on to it asap.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Fish where the fish are. As others have said, we need to pay attention to what Gallop is saying. The model for successful sports in Australia is set by the NRL and AFL.

NRL - 16 teams, 9 of them from Sydney
AFL - 18 teams, 9 of them from Melbourne (and a couple of years back it was 9 from 16 were from Melbourne)

Both with magnificent tv deals.

In other words, tv companies have no issue with teams being loaded into a single city (or a couple of cities). More derbies = greater rivalry. Greater rivalry brings in more fans, feeds greater media interest, generates more money, which can eventually be used to support struggling sides.

GloryPerth wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
GloryPerth wrote:
Heads up - not to spoil the fun, but Frank Lowy has mentioned a few times how the ideal number for the A-League is '12-14 teams, max'. IIRC This may also be a recommendation from the Crawford Report, at the least.

There was nothing in the Crawford Report about the number of teams in the national league. The NSL Report recommended starting with 10 teams with the freedom to expand should suitable options appear.

As for Lowy saying the ideal is 12-14 max - Frank has also said (on expanding to 10 teams, that 12 would follow, and after that the sky is the limit... He also said, "Promotion and relegation is the lifeblood of the game, so we can't ignore it and we won't ignore it... By the time the (2018) World Cup comes there will be promotion and relegation, we will probably have a lot more teams and ... I believe we are going to move forward in big steps, as we are now."

He's a businessman and a politician - he'll say whatever he thinks works best for the audience he's addressing.

Edited by Benjamin: 5/10/2014 04:27:07 AM

Thanks for that Benjamin, guess it WAS just his opinion then! I should add he said that years ago, circa when the A-League first example - so there's time and context too.

But let's be honest here, there sky isn't the limit and we're not like the US/MLS where we can just keep expanding to all these untapped markets/cities/regions which each have millions of people. 70% of our 23 million or so people live in the capital cities and if you include the non-capital urban areas, mostly coastal based, then that's something like 90%. And those non-capital cities are the same usual suspects we speculate here. Canberra, Wollongong, Gold Coast, Tassie, Geelong and Townsville and some of those cities are relatively close to a capital city/existing A-League team ('gong, Geelong, Gold Coast & Canberra).

And that P/R talk - Crazy to put the date of 2018 on it, soo soon - WHEN did he say this Benjamin?! Must've been a while ago - 2018 much closer now and we only just expand to 12 by then! Obviously just his opinion. But like you said in conclusion, that was just his diplomatic spin to appease football purists at the time. Which is smart, as we don't know how the landscape will evolve - maybe one day we'll be ready for a P/R competition, if we're conditioned/prepared properly for it. So I suppose, never say never.

As you say, time and context - the promotion/relegation lifeblood comment was made at the time of the world cup bid, perfectly timed to score some points with the FIFA execs with a fair play vibe, never really on his radar you would suspect, just playing to the crowd.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yeah yeah yeah

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

biscuitman1871 - 6 Oct 2014 12:26 PM
TheSelectFew wrote:

Great idea - I'm sure no one at FFA has considered actively seeking sponsorship. They should get on to it asap.

The answer turned out to be a no.

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Drives home how many grains of salt we need to take with the latest announcement
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

RedshirtWilly - 19 Feb 2018 11:48 AM
Drives home how many grains of salt we need to take with the latest announcement

Who does the minutes on these agendas? Who timekeeps? What kind of organisation is the FFA?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search