Asian Cup is enjoyable

Asian Cup is enjoyable

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Probably like many others, I'm enjoying watching international teams, all in Australia at the same time, play different football to what we see in the HAL.

I think the Asian Cup will be good with 24 teams in the next Asian Cup. Hopefully, the likes of India, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam will qualify.
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric wrote:
Probably like many others, I'm enjoying watching international teams, all in Australia at the same time, play different football to what we see in the HAL.

I think the Asian Cup will be good with 24 teams in the next Asian Cup. Hopefully, the likes of India, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam will qualify.

its a pity that didn't start this year. all the south-east nations would've been a hit in australia + we would have been allowed more stadiums (maybe parra, wollongong added to the list) plus the tournament wouldve been longer.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Davstar wrote:
I think the competition is going great i think crowds are better then most non-footballing people expected. There has been some good football played and over all the media has been giving it some lime-light despite cricket and tennis also running around this time of year.

Got to give the FFA cup credit if the cup keeps going like this i'd say it has been a success and we should keep pushing to host football competitions in the future.

Possibly the club world cup could come here.

Good point.

It seems other Asian nations are really pleased with the Aussie Asian Cup organisation too.

Edited by Decentric: 19/1/2015 11:44:05 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

williamn wrote:
Decentric wrote:

its a pity that didn't start this year. all the south-east nations would've been a hit in australia + we would have been allowed more stadiums (maybe parra, wollongong added to the list) plus the tournament wouldve been longer.

I agree.

I might be biased because I've travelled in most of the South East and South Asian countries, but it would seem more representative of Asia.

Oman
Oman
Fan
Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)

It's great all this positiveness, but what would be far better would be some goals!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Oman wrote:
It's great all this positiveness, but what would be far better would be some goals!

What about Australia's 8 in the first two games?
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

lolitsbigmic wrote:
Footballking55 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
Rather than start another thread, I thought I'd add how I'm enjoying the technical qualities of UAE, Iran and China, after not having watched them that much before the Cup. Apart from Iran, they are not they good off the ball though .

Iran are very well organised in defence. They had little of ball against UAE. Iran's defensive line and midfield has absorbed tremendous pressure, making it difficult to score against them. It will be difficult for any team to beat Iran. They nearly always maintain defensive shape.=d>

Yes, and come Thursday, China will be no pushovers. Disappointed UAE couldn't hang on. They did well. Such is life :-({|=

Since the first game i saw iran and UAE play i knew one of these two teams (if not both) will be in the final. more so iran than UAE. But there is something special about UAE, They will definitely cause problems for japan. Everyone is dreaming of a jordan upset. But UAE is far more likely, UAE have got the players to hurt japan. Jordan and iraqi (sad to say) are hopeless they don't play football, they are to busy chopping players down.

Iran is the ultimate cup team, solid defense. very quick counter with skill ball players and killer strikers. There is a difference between a team like Iran playing defensively and north korea. Iran can play football and did in the 2nd half tonight.

Iran have been so relaxed absorbing pressure all tournament and when they lose possession they press so fast and in such numbers that they usually get the ball straight back. Ange would have had a boner watching them last night. One aspect of their defence that I love watching is how they maintain their shape while hunting in packs. The LM and LB were particularly good last night at regaining possession, even when UAE had the ball Iran were still controlling the match.
Oman
Oman
Fan
Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)Fan (69 reputation)

Crusader wrote:
lolitsbigmic wrote:
Footballking55 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
Rather than start another thread, I thought I'd add how I'm enjoying the technical qualities of UAE, Iran and China, after not having watched them that much before the Cup. Apart from Iran, they are not they good off the ball though .

Iran are very well organised in defence. They had little of ball against UAE. Iran's defensive line and midfield has absorbed tremendous pressure, making it difficult to score against them. It will be difficult for any team to beat Iran. They nearly always maintain defensive shape.=d>

Yes, and come Thursday, China will be no pushovers. Disappointed UAE couldn't hang on. They did well. Such is life :-({|=

Since the first game i saw iran and UAE play i knew one of these two teams (if not both) will be in the final. more so iran than UAE. But there is something special about UAE, They will definitely cause problems for japan. Everyone is dreaming of a jordan upset. But UAE is far more likely, UAE have got the players to hurt japan. Jordan and iraqi (sad to say) are hopeless they don't play football, they are to busy chopping players down.

Iran is the ultimate cup team, solid defense. very quick counter with skill ball players and killer strikers. There is a difference between a team like Iran playing defensively and north korea. Iran can play football and did in the 2nd half tonight.

Iran have been so relaxed absorbing pressure all tournament and when they lose possession they press so fast and in such numbers that they usually get the ball straight back. Ange would have had a boner watching them last night. One aspect of their defence that I love watching is how they maintain their shape while hunting in packs. The LM and LB were particularly good last night at regaining possession, even when UAE had the ball Iran were still controlling the match.

They were still boring to watch and some of the Iran fans in front of me sat down when the UAE anthem was played so I immediately took sides!
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

I actually like that style, any idiot can dribble the ball but good defence requires teamwork. It is great that a national side can play like that with such limited time together.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I was at the cricket last night, so missed most of the two games.

But what two dramatic games occurred. Two teams considered the odds on favourites by most, Japan and Iran, were knocked out on penalties.

There is just nothing like international tournament football IMO.
johnnyrook
johnnyrook
Super Fan
Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)Super Fan (145 reputation)

All four quarter finals were good. I actually thought the Japan-UAE was the dullest and yet still featured two goals of the highest quality and a dramatic pen shoot out. Apart from that the first half of Australia-China was a bit lacklustre but watching these four games I definitely felt like I was watching major tournament football.

Edited by johnnyrook: 24/1/2015 10:43:25 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

johnnyrook wrote:
All four quarter finals were good. I actually thought the Japan-UAE was the dullest and yet still featured two goals of the highest quality and a dramatic pen shoot out. Apart from that the first half of Australia-China was a bit lacklustre but watching these four games I definitely felt like I was watching major tournament football.

Edited by johnnyrook: 24/1/2015 10:43:25 AM

I watched it on the edge of my seat, being very tense.

Maybe if I had been a neutral it would've been different.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

the conditions really hurt the oz v china spectacle sadly.

China have been good this asian cup. They would have a very good chance of qualifying. You would think given their size and emphasis on technique china could be the first genuine world football power in the region. The improved so quickly in the olympics, I would expect they could be a mere 8 or so years away. It would be nice to have some world class opposition in the region to compete against (though japan and south korea at times are very near the top level)
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search