♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion Thread ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛

♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ Australia U17/U20/U23 National Team Tournaments & Discussion...

Author
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
josh sydneyfc - 28 Jan 2021 10:14 AM
Wales and Wilson no chance. Atkinson is down the pecking order. I have Russell and strain ahead of him. 

Yeah I feel Strain is seriously underrated sometimes.

I don't think ANY of the other options are as good at the defensive part of their games.

Some others show maybe a touch more attacking flair so get more attention but Strain has been steadily improving this side of his game too. 

Just as likely that under Kurtz he didn't have as much license to attack as more recently too

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

I like Strain but fear he will be over looked for Grant also like DWH but he is probs no chance due to all the talk re the Trarore brothers .
At end of the day arnie will have his favourites and form book will go out the window regardless what spin he puts on it .
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/olyroos-in-line-for-march-match-ups-against-brazil-egypt-in-saudi-arabia
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Would be awesome if there are both Olyroos and Socceroos matches in March. Would be even better if Euro clubs release the likes of Arzani and Souttar for the Olyroos matches. 
Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

CanberraHarry - 26 Feb 2021 8:48 PM

Would be awesome if there are both Olyroos and Socceroos matches in March. Would be even better if Euro clubs release the likes of Arzani and Souttar for the Olyroos matches. 

Would they leave Souttar for u/23's or keep him with socceroos. It is a world cup quallifier for socceroos while only friendlies for olyroos. You'd think his height would be a nightmare for nepal to deal with from set pieces.

CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Podiacide - 26 Feb 2021 10:18 PM
CanberraHarry - 26 Feb 2021 8:48 PM

Would they leave Souttar for u/23's or keep him with socceroos. It is a world cup quallifier for socceroos while only friendlies for olyroos. You'd think his height would be a nightmare for nepal to deal with from set pieces.

Good point about Souttar and he would have to be released by his club for a WCQ but maybe not for a u23 friendly. 
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

So what overseas based Aussies are likley to get a callup for the Olyroos?

I saw Johnny Iredale got a gig in the Bulli2. If he can get gametime he'd be a shoe-in. Do we throw Caleb Watts in the mix too?
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

kaufusi - 21 Apr 2021 4:32 PM
So what overseas based Aussies are likley to get a callup for the Olyroos?

I saw Johnny Iredale got a gig in the Bulli2. If he can get gametime he'd be a shoe-in. Do we throw Caleb Watts in the mix too?

Not sure about Watts but I’d be seriously considering Deni Juric and Anthony Kalik.

Arzani, McGree, Souttar and Deng would be shoe in’s and Gersbach will probably get a call up too.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
sub007 - 21 Apr 2021 5:28 PM
kaufusi - 21 Apr 2021 4:32 PM

Not sure about Watts but I’d be seriously considering Deni Juric and Anthony Kalik.

Arzani, McGree, Souttar and Deng would be shoe in’s and Gersbach will probably get a call up too.

Of course Watts should be called up for the Olyroos, as a minimum.

With so many of our players taking easy options domestically, in Asia, and in lower European leagues, what kind of message does it send if a 19 year old getting genuine EPL minutes isn't called up immediately?
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

paladisious - 21 Apr 2021 9:40 PM
sub007 - 21 Apr 2021 5:28 PM

Of course Watts should be called up for the Olyroos, as a minimum.

With so many of our players taking easy options domestically, in Asia, and in lower European leagues, what kind of message does it send if a 19 year old getting genuine EPL minutes isn't called up immediately?

That making 3 late sub appearances isn’t enough 🤷‍♂️.

Aiden O’Neill make his debut at 18 and a few years on he’s playing in the A-League and there’s a good chance he won’t make the squad.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

The question is what are we trying to get out of the tournament. Either to do as well as possible or to use it as a development area.

TBH getting thumped is not going to help development so I think overage players will help mitigate the thumpings. Then it becomes which players. For me it needs to be a GK, CB and CM. Langerak's form and the fact he is settled in Japan probably places him at the front for the keepers. An experienced centre back to organise the defence and HM/CM that is very comfortable on the ball and can play the Culina-type role would be my other picks. The young guys in the middle is where our creativity needs to come from  

If we want to have the best chance to advance then I think we need to mix it up the the front third. This will mean picking some less technical players over others we may have picked with an easier group. We need variety to upset what will probably be quite string defences. Guys strong in the air for set pieces, guys that can dribble at people and others that are just speed merchants.

Whatever happens there are going to be a lot of disappointed players.
Edited
3 Years Ago by patjennings
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I’ve thought about this a lot and this is what I’ve gone for. 
GK - Glover, Margush
DEF - atkinson, strain (who can fill in at LB if needed), SAINSBURY, deng, souttar, gersbach, 
MID - metcalfe, baccus, genreau, 
ATT - mcgree , piscopo, BOYLE, armenakas, arzani (I know but he’s just too good to leave out), 
STR - MACLAREN , A. Toure ( I just think he’s the most talented out of the young strikers we have). 

There are about a million omissions so I won’t go through them but I’ve gone with boyle and Maclaren because we need to score goals and sainsbury for that rock in defence

saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 22 Apr 2021 5:42 AM
GK - Glover, Margush
DEF - atkinson, strain (who can fill in at LB if needed), SAINSBURY, deng, souttar, gersbach, 
ATT - mcgree , piscopo, BOYLE, armenakas, arzani (I know but he’s just too good to leave out), 
STR - MACLAREN , A. Toure ( I just think he’s the most talented out of the young strikers we have). 

There are about a million omissions so I won’t go through them but I’ve gone with boyle and Maclaren because we need to score goals and sainsbury for that rock in defence

Whilst he's a shoe-in when fit, not sure if Atkinson will be over his injury in time. 
Do like that attack though.... very tasty!

sub007
sub007
World Class

GK - Glover, Margush

Boyle is hardly prolific in Scotland. There are so many better options available that have actually spent time living in Australia.
Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

So with Covid rampant in Japan and a not insignficant risk of catching covid for athletes, what happens if significant numbers of the football squads get covid? They are small squads and its not like they could just postpone the matches. Hopefully most of our players are vaccinated before we go but I know the Govt hasnt pushed Olympic athletes to the front of the queue.

saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)

sub007 - 22 Apr 2021 3:42 PM

Boyle is hardly prolific in Scotland. There are so many better options available that have actually spent time living in Australia.

Hardly prolific? He's 3rd in the golden boot as a winger, and he's quick. 
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Thinking about it, it’s so disappointing that this year’s U20 World Cup was cancelled. We have so much talent in the relevant age groups. We could’ve selected a team like this:

Pavlesic; Aquilina, Trewin, Natta, Mauragis; D’Arrigo, Watts, Hollman; Tilio, Italiano, Kuol 

Bench: Kalac, Bilokapic, Courtney Perkins, Stokes, Rawlins, Nieuwenhof, Robertson, Prso, Teague, Toure, Botic, Ruiz Diaz
Edited
3 Years Ago by sportaddict
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

sportaddict - 23 Apr 2021 10:45 AM
Thinking about it, it’s so disappointing that this year’s U20 World Cup was cancelled. We have so much talent in the relevant age groups. We could’ve selected a team like this:

Pavlesic; Aquilina, Trewin, Natta, Mauragis; D’Arrigo, Watts, Hollman; Tilio, Italiano, Kuol 

Bench: Kalac, Bilokapic, Courtney Perkins, Stokes, Rawlins, Nieuwenhof, Robertson, Prso, Teague, Toure, Botic, Ruiz Diaz

That u20 team looked to be very promising too, indeed a shame that was cancelled.

Expect the next Olyroos group to be quite promising for 2024 in Paris.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

saweston - 23 Apr 2021 9:45 AM

It comes back to another thread ive posted does Arnie pick a squad that could get out that group against the likes of Spain, Argentina and Egypt? Or does he pick a squad that will benefit from the experience they need when they go into as Socceroos down the line?

This is a hard one to answer.
saweston
saweston
Amateur

Barca4Life - 23 Apr 2021 10:48 AM

It comes back to another thread ive posted does Arnie pick a squad that could get out that group against the likes of Spain, Argentina and Egypt? Or does he pick a squad that will benefit from the experience they need when they go into as Socceroos down the line?

This is a hard one to answer.

Yes, a really tough one to answer. I think the first priority would be to pick players that have been playing, have match minutes in the legs. That's why Arzani is a hard one. We all know his quality, but his lack of game time could be a huge liability in such a tournament. 

Even if he did select 3 overage players that fill a minor weakness in the team, that's still at least 8 of the best olyroos that are starting... if we could make it past the group stage, how much more beneficial will that be?
sub007
sub007
World Class

I was talking about his entire Hibs career.

The point is that people think he's amazing because he plays in Scotland even though the likes of Leckie, Mabil and even Craig Goodwin are better players and are actually Australian.
saweston
saweston
Amateur

sub007 - 23 Apr 2021 2:15 PM

I was talking about his entire Hibs career.

The point is that people think he's amazing because he plays in Scotland even though the likes of Leckie, Mabil and even Craig Goodwin are better players and are actually Australian.

You can't deny he's in good form atm though.... and he's scoring goals.

Yeah maybe those three are better than him on their day, but the point is he's playing regularly, and well. Leckie has played 30 mins of football since Feb. 

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

saweston - 23 Apr 2021 11:14 AM
Barca4Life - 23 Apr 2021 10:48 AM

Yes, a really tough one to answer. I think the first priority would be to pick players that have been playing, have match minutes in the legs. That's why Arzani is a hard one. We all know his quality, but his lack of game time could be a huge liability in such a tournament. 

Even if he did select 3 overage players that fill a minor weakness in the team, that's still at least 8 of the best olyroos that are starting... if we could make it past the group stage, how much more beneficial will that be?

The chances of making the quarter finals are slim with what we are up against, I think Arnie knows this which is why he's looking at no over age based players based on reports.
And fair enough too, they better off getting the exposure these games will give them and who knows it might open doors to more players careers which will ultimately help the Socceroos.
sub007
sub007
World Class

saweston - 23 Apr 2021 4:22 PM
sub007 - 23 Apr 2021 2:15 PM

You can't deny he's in good form atm though.... and he's scoring goals.

Yeah maybe those three are better than him on their day, but the point is he's playing regularly, and well. Leckie has played 30 mins of football since Feb. 

Mabil and Goodwin are playing regularly with the latter doing so well at Adelaide that he has more goals and assists combined than he has appearances. Leckie isn't playing much but he plays at a much higher level.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Josh Cavallo has been voted at the Red Army’s player of the season, despite joining AU mid season.

Olyroos smoky perhaps?
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

sub007 - 12 Jun 2021 11:59 PM
Josh Cavallo has been voted at the Red Army’s player of the season, despite joining AU mid season.

Olyroos smoky perhaps?

Definitely a Smokey but I think there are others better than him. 

One thing is for sure, the vast majority of our kids playing in Europe are not better than what we have 

overroared
overroared
Amateur
Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 13 Jun 2021 7:42 AM
sub007 - 12 Jun 2021 11:59 PM

Definitely a Smokey but I think there are others better than him. 

One thing is for sure, the vast majority of our kids playing in Europe are not better than what we have 

Agree
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

overroared - 13 Jun 2021 7:56 AM
josh sydneyfc - 13 Jun 2021 7:42 AM

Agree

+1
from what I’ve seen of these friendly games , I have to say our underage A league players are way ahead , playing U23s at European clubs is not all it’s made out to be.
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)

notarobot - 13 Jun 2021 10:39 AM
overroared - 13 Jun 2021 7:56 AM

+1
from what I’ve seen of these friendly games , I have to say our underage A league players are way ahead , playing U23s at European clubs is not all it’s made out to be.
+2 

I recall a comment from Folami during an interview in which he says that (while playing this season at Victory) that this is his first full season in the men's game and he is 'still getting used to it'. This comment clearly indicates that the level of competitiveness, pace, power and  oppositon determination in the first teir mens game is a step up from his UK 20's and 23's experience. 

Dylan ryan also expemplifies his underestimation and lack of preparedness for the mens game. still a developing player - no more needs to be said. 

Most of the A league youth who have managed the step up and are getting consistent minuteds in the A League can outplay and have gained better experiences than the European based Acedemy and aged based players. 

Pasquali is another who has been incredibly underwhelming and his cameos for WU do not show any flashes of brilliance as a result of his Euro aged based playing. 

the message is clear - Don't rush overseas kids, it might give your ego a nudge and get you an headline, but your game may suffer in the long run. 

The list on the number of players who went overseas too early, and returned to reignite their careers is very long - desilva, mcgree, recent history. 

Footballfirst
Footballfirst
Hacker
Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)

fanoffootball - 13 Jun 2021 11:03 AM
notarobot - 13 Jun 2021 10:39 AM
+2 

I recall a comment from Folami during an interview in which he says that (while playing this season at Victory) that this is his first full season in the men's game and he is 'still getting used to it'. This comment clearly indicates that the level of competitiveness, pace, power and  oppositon determination in the first teir mens game is a step up from his UK 20's and 23's experience. 

Dylan ryan also expemplifies his underestimation and lack of preparedness for the mens game. still a developing player - no more needs to be said. 

Most of the A league youth who have managed the step up and are getting consistent minuteds in the A League can outplay and have gained better experiences than the European based Acedemy and aged based players. 

Pasquali is another who has been incredibly underwhelming and his cameos for WU do not show any flashes of brilliance as a result of his Euro aged based playing. 

the message is clear - Don't rush overseas kids, it might give your ego a nudge and get you an headline, but your game may suffer in the long run. 

The list on the number of players who went overseas too early, and returned to reignite their careers is very long - desilva, mcgree, recent history. 

+3
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search