anyone a supporter of an effnic sokkah club even though they are not effnic?

anyone a supporter of an effnic sokkah club even though they are not...

Author
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Griffindinho wrote:
Played and supported Green Gully in my junior years, even though i wasn't Maltese. playing away at Knights stadium was awesome as a kid :cool:

Edited by griffindinho: 7/1/2016 10:43:28 PM

:-k Might have played against you depending on age...
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Have most of the Maltese moved on to victory? Muscat factor? I kid you not I'd attend George cross games in the early 2000s when they had been playing in the 3rd tier and they were getting crowds of around 2,000, they were nuts and passionate, went to a game last year and the crowd was about 100 and I must have spotted at least 30 people wearing some kind of mv merchandise, nothing of sgx.

This has become a similar theme across many local clubs but seeing it up close was a real eye opener, the local scene was rocking back in the 90s and early 2000s.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I like most NPL teams in Newy but can't help give a bit of extra love to Broadmeadow Magic (Macedonian club) and I have no Maco ties in my family.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Benjamin wrote:
macktheknife wrote:
Benjamin.

Correct.

Long time supporter of South Melbourne - don't have any Greek ancestry, not married into a Greek family, don't speak Greek, don't even like Greek food. Just love the club and have made many good friends through them.

What is wrong with you, Benjamin?

My wife and I love Greek food. Greece has great cuisine.

We like Greece too.

To answer Fatboi's question I've had a bit of involvement in the local Italian and Greek NPL clubs, despite not being Italian or Greek.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
RedshirtWilly wrote:
Australian with Dutch heritage - supported Marconi since I was a kid.

The people are always welcoming as I tend to see from Italians.

Italians are welcoming in Italy too.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

southmelb wrote:
Have most of the Maltese moved on to victory? Muscat factor? I kid you not I'd attend George cross games in the early 2000s when they had been playing in the 3rd tier and they were getting crowds of around 2,000, they were nuts and passionate, went to a game last year and the crowd was about 100 and I must have spotted at least 30 people wearing some kind of mv merchandise, nothing of sgx.

This has become a similar theme across many local clubs but seeing it up close was a real eye opener, the local scene was rocking back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Absolutely they have. Not sure if it's a Muscat factor but Maltese people love football, they love sports in general. Like you mentioned, back in the 90s / early 2000s we drew big crowds, even in a lower division. When the A-League and Victory came along, the Maltese community of Melbourne could connect to MV. They craved professional football and a club to follow. Being perfectly honest, after SGX never returned to the NSL, there was no way they were going to support a Greek or Croatian club.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

azzaMVFC wrote:
southmelb wrote:

Absolutely they have. Not sure if it's a Muscat factor but Maltese people love football, they love sports in general. Like you mentioned, back in the 90s / early 2000s we drew big crowds, even in a lower division. When the A-League and Victory came along, the Maltese community of Melbourne could connect to MV. They craved professional football and a club to follow. Being perfectly honest, after SGX never returned to the NSL, there was no way they were going to support a Greek or Croatian club.

Considering SGX were NSL rivals with south and knights it would have been virtually impossible to follow one of these teams even aside from the ethnicity, I mean George cross and Hellas blockbusters go back to the 60s at Olympic park. What I'm more wondering is why did they abandon George cross? The 2 clubs play at different times of the year, did the supporters lose confidence in the people running the club? They were so passionate about the club I find it baffling how they couldn't care less anymore. Sgx being a spent force is a major blow for the Victorian football community though.

I'm assuming Muscat must have been a factor cos I honestly don't know one Maltese person that goes for Melbourne city.
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker
Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)

Even ten years ago the passion of George Cross fans was tangible. Today was so muted. Felt like 3/4 of the crowd today didn't care about the game they were there to watch.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

In answer to both of you - There was as much politics at SGX as there was at any other club, you just didn't hear too much about it because we weren't as big (in the 90s/early 2000s) as Knights or Hellas. Happened twice (as far as I know) however could be more, that money was stolen from the club, large amounts, by former committee members. Nobody trusted anyone for a long time. The vibe was lost from games and people stopped rocking up. They were hurt, believe me. My grandfather used to go week in week out, my uncles played there in the late 60s/70s and they were all gutted by it.

Then Victory came along and they had something to cling to again. You guys know this, it's all about a sense of belonging and knowing you are part of something.

That's probably the best way I can explain the downfall. To be fair now, they are trying again. I think there's been a fair bit of directive from the FFV, where perhaps in the past this lacked a little. They were extremely lucky to get the NPL licence, considering the facilities there are probably the worst out of any NPL club. The pitch is a paddock, changerooms/clubrooms need a massive revamp. It's going to take a bit of investment, I'm not sure where that comes from. Certainly hope it's not going to be from the parents of the kids playing there.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Didnt they sell the ground at one stage??^^^^
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
Didnt they sell the ground at one stage??^^^^

They were supposed to sell that ground to developers and take over at Caroline Springs (juniors train there, play some matches there), or further out at Melton. The deal ended up falling through apparently.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search