World game of football draws Australia into Asian opportunities

World game of football draws Australia into Asian opportunities

Author
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
quickflick wrote:
Nah fuck that. We, and the rest of the world, should tell the Chinese to bugger off until they recognise Tibetan sovereignty, stop intimidating Taiwan and learn the definition of human rights.

Indonesia can similarly get fucked. To get away with murder is one thing, to get away with genocide is quite another. What they've done in East Timor and West Papua should see those responsible tried for war crimes in the Hague.

I'm sick of hearing the idea of using football as a vehicle to enhance trade relations with these kind of countries with such appalling human rights records.

It was appropriate that the South Africans got told to fuck off until they ended Apartheid. We didn't play sport against them full stop. The idea of enhancing sporting relations with these countries, let alone our governments kowtowing to them, is anathema.

Don't forget the middle eastern countries and their human rights issues .Then there are those African countries ,many Asian countries ,US,Russia,Central and South American countries..etc ..etc.
Where do you draw the line?
Syria is an absolute clusterf.ck.but still has a football team.
You might as well rage against the world.
The fact is there will always be others you disagree with to varying degrees.If our elected government considers trade with countries to be okay then why would our Football governing body go against them and FIFA?

Dude, the Indonesians are perpetrating genocide against the West Papuans. Don't you think that might just be a good place to draw the line?

We draw the line at the outrageous, no later. Have you any idea what life is like for West Papuans on account of Indonesia? I

I agree a lot of those countries (including the United States, Russia, Israel, many Middle-Eastern countries should be told to fuck off, too).

Our elected government needs to do what Malcolm Fraser (best Australian PM in history) did. He said that Apartheid was where you draw the line.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Most people on this forum struggle to understand basic nuances.

It's one thing to treat asylums seekers deplorably. As Australia does. And I am opposed to that and welcome United Nations condemnation. Hopefully, we remember our humanity and stop behaving like this.

It's another thing to perpetrate genocide and far more outrageous human rights abuses than those committed on Naura (which should still be punished).

We draw the line at things like genocide, military aggression (e.g. Russia with respect to the Ukraine) and gross abuses of human rights.

Hardly rocket science folks.
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-makes-china-television-debut-with-port-adelaide-broadcast-deal-20160408-go2cma.html

Final para from the article:

Quote:
"For this sport to be so popular in Australia, there must be a reason," Liu, the CCTV commentator, concluded.

#150YearHeadStart

Quote:
The broader Chinese audience might just take a bit more time to catch on.

Edited by BA81: 9/4/2016 07:00:50 PM

Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

quickflick wrote:
SWandP wrote:
quickflick wrote:
Nah fuck that. We, and the rest of the world, should tell the Chinese to bugger off until they recognise Tibetan sovereignty, stop intimidating Taiwan and learn the definition of human rights.

Indonesia can similarly get fucked. To get away with murder is one thing, to get away with genocide is quite another. What they've done in East Timor and West Papua should see those responsible tried for war crimes in the Hague.

I'm sick of hearing the idea of using football as a vehicle to enhance trade relations with these kind of countries with such appalling human rights records.

It was appropriate that the South Africans got told to fuck off until they ended Apartheid. We didn't play sport against them full stop. The idea of enhancing sporting relations with these countries, let alone our governments kowtowing to them, is anathema.

Fuck yeah! Australia should only have contact with countries like .....like.... um ....like fuck'n noone!

It's all a matter of degree. When a country transgresses moral and legal boundaries by such an extent, they ought to be punished.

That doesn't mean it's acceptable for other other countries to do bad things, it just means they have to do a lot.

Do you realise what happens to West Papuans to this day? The PRC still has ambitions of annexing territory. This is a war crime. Not only is it morally the right thing to ostracise them. It's pragmatic, good realpolitik. They despise weakness but respect strength.

Who gives a fuck? If FIFA recognised ISIS I would welcome games against them for the boost it would give our rankings. Hell Iran and Palestine are terrorist groups with a football team but I have paid to watch both play. If all of these injustices worry you so much go and do something about it, otherwise STFU and don't expect us to sacrifice football so that you can feel smug.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Crusader wrote:
quickflick wrote:
SWandP wrote:
quickflick wrote:

Fuck yeah! Australia should only have contact with countries like .....like.... um ....like fuck'n noone!

It's all a matter of degree. When a country transgresses moral and legal boundaries by such an extent, they ought to be punished.

That doesn't mean it's acceptable for other other countries to do bad things, it just means they have to do a lot.

Do you realise what happens to West Papuans to this day? The PRC still has ambitions of annexing territory. This is a war crime. Not only is it morally the right thing to ostracise them. It's pragmatic, good realpolitik. They despise weakness but respect strength.

Who gives a fuck? If FIFA recognised ISIS I would welcome games against them for the boost it would give our rankings. Hell Iran and Palestine are terrorist groups with a football team but I have paid to watch both play. If all of these injustices worry you so much go and do something about it, otherwise STFU and don't expect us to sacrifice football so that you can feel smug.

You don't understand definitions of basic English words. Smugness among them.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

quickflick wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
quickflick wrote:

Don't forget the middle eastern countries and their human rights issues .Then there are those African countries ,many Asian countries ,US,Russia,Central and South American countries..etc ..etc.
Where do you draw the line?
Syria is an absolute clusterf.ck.but still has a football team.
You might as well rage against the world.
The fact is there will always be others you disagree with to varying degrees.If our elected government considers trade with countries to be okay then why would our Football governing body go against them and FIFA?

Dude, the Indonesians are perpetrating genocide against the West Papuans. Don't you think that might just be a good place to draw the line?

We draw the line at the outrageous, no later. Have you any idea what life is like for West Papuans on account of Indonesia? I

I agree a lot of those countries (including the United States, Russia, Israel, many Middle-Eastern countries should be told to fuck off, too).

Our elected government needs to do what Malcolm Fraser (best Australian PM in history) did. He said that Apartheid was where you draw the line.

Feel the need to add the legislated, entrenched apartheid system in Malaysia to the list.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

A lot of idiots don't seem to realise that, although football is one of the best things in life, it pales into insignificance next to other things.

The 1936 Olympics in Berlin ought to have been boycotted. It would have been far easier for Churchill to garner the support to intervene against Nazi expansion had that been the case. This would have made the Second World War far less likely. I'm not suggesting that those games led to the war (or that it was the only thing that needed to be done to stamp out Nazism early).

The Moscow Olympics ought to have been boycotted, too.

Malcolm Fraser was absolutely right to tell the South Africans to fuck off.

It's high time states committing heinous acts were told the same.
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Crusader wrote:
If FIFA recognised ISIS I would welcome games against them for the boost it would give our rankings.

Not to mention the chance of visibly belting them on the scoreboard. Pity then that ISIS, like the Taliban, is avowedly anti-sport AFAIK.

AzzaMarch
AzzaMarch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

quickflick wrote:
A lot of idiots don't seem to realise that, although football is one of the best things in life, it pales into insignificance next to other things.

The 1936 Olympics in Berlin ought to have been boycotted. It would have been far easier for Churchill to garner the support to intervene against Nazi expansion had that been the case. This would have made the Second World War far less likely. I'm not suggesting that those games led to the war (or that it was the only thing that needed to be done to stamp out Nazism early).

The Moscow Olympics ought to have been boycotted, too.

Malcolm Fraser was absolutely right to tell the South Africans to fuck off.

It's high time states committing heinous acts were told the same.

You act like Australia's boycotting of anyone would have meaning to them. It would only have meaning to us.

Indonesia is the 4th most populous country in the world, US the 3rd, and China the 1st. They would give exactly ZERO F##KS about us boycotting them.

Rather than isolating them, we would actually be isolating ourselves.

Pointing to South Africa is not a good example for 3 reasons:

1- the effectiveness of the apartheid boycott is disputed.
2- they are a much smaller, and less important, country than the US, China or Indonesia. Therefore, far more likely to react to sanctions than any of the behemoth countries you want us to boycott.
3- nearly the whole western world united behind the South Africa sanctions. If we tried to boycott the US, China or Indonesia, we'd be acting on our own.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

quickflick wrote:
Most people on this forum struggle to understand basic nuances.

It's one thing to treat asylums seekers deplorably. As Australia does. And I am opposed to that and welcome United Nations condemnation. Hopefully, we remember our humanity and stop behaving like this.

It's another thing to perpetrate genocide and far more outrageous human rights abuses than those committed on Naura (which should still be punished).

We draw the line at things like genocide, military aggression (e.g. Russia with respect to the Ukraine) and gross abuses of human rights.

Hardly rocket science folks.

I do like your fire but I'm guessing you are <25 years old? Not being condescending I swear on my life.
This is my adult hood:

18-25 - grrrrr fuck them arrgghhh so much injustice there are ways we can help and do better fuck them grrrrrrrr i must help the world fuck these mealy mouthed lying politicians

25-30 - Geez it really is deplorable. So much injustice. So sad that there is no way anything will change and history is destined to repeat itself ad infinitum

30-34 - I'm hungry. I think I might have a quiet weekend.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

SWandP wrote:
I'd actually be interested if anybody could nominate a country that has a perfect human rights record?

Without doing any research... Iceland?

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

petszk wrote:
SWandP wrote:
I'd actually be interested if anybody could nominate a country that has a perfect human rights record?

Didn't successive Governments steal money from the nation's coffers recently? Sounds like a pretty bad abuse of human rights right there lol
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
petszk wrote:
SWandP wrote:

Didn't successive Governments steal money from the nation's coffers recently? Sounds like a pretty bad abuse of human rights right there lol

San Marino?
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
petszk wrote:
SWandP wrote:

I don't believe that falls under the category of human rights abuses FWIW.

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

petszk wrote:
walnuts wrote:
petszk wrote:
SWandP wrote:

I don't believe that falls under the category of human rights abuses FWIW.

Depends really - stealing a person's hard earned for personal gain is not great, especially when it sends the country broke as a result.
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

quickflick wrote:

What we did and have done to South Africa is a disgrace. The most shameful behavior in our history has been against those people. Look at where they are now.

Leave politics out of sport and vice versa.
The Fans
The Fans
Pro

walnuts wrote:
petszk wrote:
SWandP wrote:

Bankers did. Those bankers are now in jail. Iceland rules.
Outonthefull
Outonthefull
Amateur
Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
petszk wrote:
SWandP wrote:

Without doing any research didn't they cause the GFC buying up all those shit loans?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search