2016 OFC Nations Cup - 28 May to 11 June (hosted by PNG)

2016 OFC Nations Cup - 28 May to 11 June (hosted by PNG)

Author
Adelphi
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
apillay12 wrote:
Very good game at the moment, baffles me that NPL teams are signing 4/5th division European journeymen when their are quality Islanders right on their door step.

Absolutely, some very talented players in this tournament who could do a job in the NPL. There'd be a few of them who could make it professionally with some work.

Foster with a great goal. Some nice technique and passing after a Solomon Islands defensive mixup gives PNG a 1-0 lead.

And now the Solomons peg them back, directly from a corner! Good shape to it but the keeper and his defender communicated poorly and it wound up in the net. 1-1!
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

The referee calls time on the half - a very entertaining game so far. Scores locked at 1-1 after the Solomon Islands cancelled out the Papua New Guinea opener. Pretty even, PNG have perhaps had the better of the half, troubling the Solomons defenders with their quick ball movement and pacey forwards. The Solomons have some pace of their own though and have had some success with a few well-directed diagonal balls out to the wingers. Both teams are up for it and the direct running of their forwards is making for a real high-intensity contest.
apillay12
apillay12
Semi-Pro

Felix and Alvin Komolong very good players
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

PNG score in the 82nd minute, a deserved goal as Solomon Islands had been waning. 85 minutes in now, 5 minutes for the hosts to hang on to the lead and claim a spot in what would be their first OFC Nations Cup final.
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

And that's it, Papua New Guinea survive against a tiring Solomon Islands to claim a 2-1 victory and a showdown with New Zealand in the final!

New Zealand will face a hostile atmosphere with the hosts sure to have a bumper local crowd - at stake on Saturday is Oceania's biggest prize, as well as a place in the Confederations Cup against some of the world's best. Potential for Germany vs Papua New Guinea! :D

The players and fans are delighted and they fully deserved their result. It's sure to be a cracker on Saturday evening with the hosts in high spirits and the favourites New Zealand yet to show their best.
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

So when is the final? Like.. Saturday 7:30 AET?
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
NicCarBel wrote:

This Saturday 11 June @ 4pm local time (PNG).

Wellington Phoenix FC

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

nomates wrote:
NicCarBel wrote:

Damnit i work until 6
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

NicCarBel wrote:
nomates wrote:
NicCarBel wrote:

Damnit i work until 6

In Australia SBS is showing it live and it will be on there Demand channel is you missed it, We have it on SKY here but I don't have it so the link for the steam does me fine.

Wellington Phoenix FC

nomates
nomates
World Class

D-Day!:-({|=
Will they or wont they>? Come on All Whites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![-o<

Wellington Phoenix FC

Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

Kickoff in 10 minutes! Barbarouses starting for NZ, Rojas on the bench. Crowd filling up nicely
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Score update please?
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

Soft News wrote:
Score update please?

15 mins in, 0-0, not much goal action
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Adelphite wrote:
Soft News wrote:
Score update please?

15 mins in, 0-0, not much goal action

Thanks.
nomates
nomates
World Class

PNG the far superior team on the park ATM.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

Half time and the score is 0-0. Not a great game so far, low tempo from both sides. Papua New Guinea have had a couple of chances on the break but some poor decision making from the likes of Semmy saw them come to nothing. They had one long distance effort that was well saved by Marinovic. The Komolong brothers are absolute rocks at the back for PNG. Very good centre-backs, the pair of them.

New Zealand for their part have been in a few dangerous positions but have yet to work the goalkeeper. They will have the breeze against them in the second half and will need to lift the tempo.

Hopefully the match only goes the 90 minutes as I have to go out after 6pm :lol:
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

nomates wrote:

Yep I'd say PNG are looking the more likely at the moment, they're posing a threat going forward but are perhaps let down by their inexperience in a game of this stature, making some poor decisions when composure is needed. They are playing at a slightly higher pace than NZ but neither team has really had a clear-cut chance.

A few slices of cheese handed out in that half as well, would be a shame to see a red.

Edited by Adelphite: 11/6/2016 05:01:53 PM
nomates
nomates
World Class

I am ashamed of this All Whites team, Maybe more so the coach. If we beat PNG the coach has to go ASAP so some one decent can take over and uses the Confed cup games to suit game plan.

Wellington Phoenix FC

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

I disagree. I reckon it's been end to end and had a good flow to the game. Unfortunately The ball has flowed well over and past the post.

Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

TheSelectFew wrote:
I disagree. I reckon it's been end to end and had a good flow to the game. Unfortunately The ball has flowed well over and past the post.

Fair enough, to me the more exciting parts have come from PNG's quick transitions after turnovers, using their pace in attack well. I just find NZ's style to be fairly dull though and while they've been in some good positions it's not from what I'd call quick attacking play.
nomates
nomates
World Class

Adelphite wrote:
nomates wrote:

Yep I'd say PNG are looking the more likely at the moment, they're posing a threat going forward but are perhaps let down by their inexperience in a game of this stature, making some poor decisions when composure is needed. They are playing at a slightly higher pace than NZ but neither team has really had a clear-cut chance.

A few slices of cheese handed out in that half as well, would be a shame to see a red.

Stop being polite, The All Whites look way out of there league here - Its a disgrace. Lets hope there is a new striker subbed on at half time.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

Rojas and Brockie are on now, for Patterson and Barbarouses. 0-0 an hour in
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

NZ looking a bit more threatening now, a Kiwi forward through on goal called back for a tight offside. 10 mins to go before we head to extra time.

Commentators just mentioning the financial rewards of winning this game and playing in the Confederations Cup - just checked and teams that went out in the group stage of the 2013 Confeds still netted $1.7M USD in prize money. Would be huge for a team like PNG!

Edited by Adelphite: 11/6/2016 05:53:13 PM
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro

Extra time it is after a scoreless 90 minutes. PNG tiring a bit and NZ may have the edge in extra time with the fitness of their professional players, though the hosts have all three substitutions remaining to NZ's none, and the crowd may help give them a second wind.

Enjoyable half as well, though it picked up from the first half. PNG have some impressively skillful players.

Have to go out now, will have to record the rest :(

Edited by Adelphite: 11/6/2016 06:04:38 PM
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Adelphite wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

Fair enough, to me the more exciting parts have come from PNG's quick transitions after turnovers, using their pace in attack well. I just find NZ's style to be fairly dull though and while they've been in some good positions it's not from what I'd call quick attacking play.

Football is full of opinions though :lol: I have enjoyed this. Been a great day of football.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Miscalculated the times. Extra time wow. Not going to check but I don't think AFC and OFC will meet in the confed group stage? If PNG win it'll be crazier than Tahiti.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

nomates wrote:
Adelphite wrote:
nomates wrote:

Stop being polite, The All Whites look way out of there league here - Its a disgrace. Lets hope there is a new striker subbed on at half time.

If NZ win this you have to say PNG have been hard done by. :shock:

Edited by TheSelectFew: 11/6/2016 06:09:55 PM

nomates
nomates
World Class

TheSelectFew wrote:
nomates wrote:
Adelphite wrote:
nomates wrote:

If NZ win this you have to say PNG have been hard done by. :shock:

Edited by TheSelectFew: 11/6/2016 06:09:55 PM

Pretty much :-"

Wellington Phoenix FC

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

wow this is one of the best nil all draws. PNG haven't made a fricking sub.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Talking about a WC play off with this performance. You are surely having a giggle.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search