AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

Author
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
pippinu - 24 Jun 2017 7:12 PM
localstar - 24 Jun 2017 3:22 PM

I would certainly defer to your knowledge of the Sydney market.

All I can do is look at Friday night's game, and the numbers look all right:

Attendance:  34,575
FTA Sydney ratings on 7Mate:  63k.
Fox Sydney ratings:  46k.
Total Sydney TV ratings:  109k.

It seems to me that 109k watching in Sydney is pretty good.

As a point of reference, the NRL ratings in Brisbane on Nine were 138k.

So I hear what the Sydney residents on here are saying, and with all due respect, the attendance and TV figures seem to suggest something else.

The ratings figures are a guess at best
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Lastbroadcast - 24 Jun 2017 1:12 PM
@melbourne_terrace The simple reason they are moving games is that nobody in Western Sydney gives a shit about AFL, or if they did they'd already follow the swans. A lot of AFL fans in Victoria just don't get that there is zero interest in AFL in Western Sydney. Even the Swans weren't that popular for their first 15 years in Sydney, and only got really popular due to an unusual set of circumstances in Rugby League in the 90s. Super League, team mergers, scandals, moving games to bigger stadiums and the attempt to kick out Souths all caused huge disenchantment with league. My father was a rugby league fan but when his team (Wests Magpies) merged with the Balmain tigers he never went to another NRL game. At the same time this was going on, the Swans made the 1996 grand final and started getting good. Some of the disenchanted middle classes switched to AFL and never went back to league. If not for those factors I don't think the Swans would be as popular as they are today.

I had moved to Tassie by the time the Super League split League apart but I have family that stopped supporting their League club and gave AFL a try.  Thousands left League either disenchanted or out of principle and never went back.  Up until then the Swans support in the main was expats from the southern states and growth was very slow.  Once the Swans broke into the local market attendances grew significantly.

At the end of Wanderers first season polling of the market showed that 10.2% of the 2m population in Western Sydney supported the Wanderers while for GWS despite a multi year marketing exercise and having a years start only 1.6% supported them.

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Pippy in his element here 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I can't believe he actually tracks Pepper Pig ratings - apparentky uses a massive spreadsheet so he has an accurate bacon report each day 😂
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

@melbourne_terrace The simple reason they are moving games is that nobody in Western Sydney gives a shit about AFL, or if they did they'd already follow the swans. A lot of AFL fans in Victoria just don't get that there is zero interest in AFL in Western Sydney. Even the Swans weren't that popular for their first 15 years in Sydney, and only got really popular due to an unusual set of circumstances in Rugby League in the 90s. Super League, team mergers, scandals, moving games to bigger stadiums and the attempt to kick out Souths all caused huge disenchantment with league. My father was a rugby league fan but when his team (Wests Magpies) merged with the Balmain tigers he never went to another NRL game. At the same time this was going on, the Swans made the 1996 grand final and started getting good. Some of the disenchanted middle classes switched to AFL and never went back to league. If not for those factors I don't think the Swans would be as popular as they are today.

I know it's not in anyway popular, I just think it's fucking stupid the way they've been trying to change it. 

Throwing West Sydney under the bus and moving from Blacktown to homebush.
Playing half their games in Canberra
Faffing about with a stupid Netball team
Pushing to play games in China and India

Their only reason for existence is to get more people west of the Homebush interested in professional Mens AFL and they can't even focus on that.

Viennese Vuck

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

@melbterrace

Aswell as screwing the swans over with a women's team.
wolfen
wolfen
Weekender
Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)

Typical Sydneysider here, couldn't care less about AFL (hell, I can only name one player in the whole comp), though I have always found it strange that despite the considerable attendances and viewership stats, which I'm not disputing, there's so little visibility of it outside of gameday. Rarely see anyone decked out in Swans gear in public and never once overheard a conversation about AFL in public or at work, in contrast to RL and football in that order. It's as though Swans supporters retreat into hibernation between match days. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by wolfen
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

wolfen - 25 Jun 2017 10:12 AM

Typical Sydneysider here, couldn't care less about AFL (hell, I can only name one player in the whole comp), though I have always found it strange that despite the considerable attendances and viewership stats, which I'm not disputing, there's so little visibility of it outside of gameday. Rarely see anyone decked out in Swans gear in public and never once overheard a conversation about AFL in public or at work, in contrast to RL and football in that order. It's as though Swans supporters retreat into hibernation between match days. 

Same could be said in Brisbane I have noticed. Cairns have an ALF stadium now but it's nothing more than a park an gets zero mention up north. Its interesting how places such as Cairns, Townsville & Hobart present their mainstream news compared to Melbourne.

Anyway. Keen for ALF to invest in football stadiums :)

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Gyfox - 24 Jun 2017 9:06 PM

At the end of Wanderers first season polling of the market showed that 10.2% of the 2m population in Western Sydney supported the Wanderers while for GWS despite a multi year marketing exercise and having a years start only 1.6% supported them.

That's interesting, because going by attendances and TV ratings, the ratio looks closer to 1.5:1, and that is being extremely generous to the Wanderers.

If we go by sponsorship revenue, the Giants would be quadruple what the Wanderers make.

It's strange that their sponsorship revenue is quadruple that of the Wanderers, but according to you, the Wanderers are meant to have six times the support. Those big corporations must be stupid.

Strange days indeed.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

pippinu - 25 Jun 2017 12:44 PM

That's interesting, because going by attendances and TV ratings, the ratio looks closer to 1.5:1, and that is being extremely generous to the Wanderers.

If we go by sponsorship revenue, the Giants would be quadruple what the Wanderers make.

It's strange that their sponsorship revenue is quadruple that of the Wanderers, but according to you, the Wanderers are meant to have six times the support. Those big corporations must be stupid.

Strange days indeed.

Strange there are so many inbreds willing to put in so much money into a club that has lower attendances than the football club down the road.

Especially when that bigger clkub has been on the international stage and the ALF team will never be.

Strange, strange, strange.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

pippinu - 25 Jun 2017 12:44 PM

Strange days indeed.

Only someone who is either trolling or has no fucking idea would try to argue that AFL is more popular than football In Western Sydney.....In your case I'm going to suggest both.

Beaten by Eldar

wolfen
wolfen
Weekender
Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)

Spends his 24/7 trolling a football forum with an obvious inferiority complex tied to fumble ball. Strange man indeed. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

AFL to drive football expansion overseas with Twenty20 model

THE expansion of AFL into overseas markets could be ­fuelled by a modified version of the game played at sub-elite level.

The AFL this year played its first match for premiership points in China and has previously staged exhibition games in India, Dubai, London and Los Angeles.

But it hopes to introduce more foreign fans to the game through its AFLX concept, which has been billed the Aussie rules version of Twenty20 cricket.

AFL general counsel and game development general manager Andrew Dillon said the shortened version of the game was still in an “early development phase”.

“We have not yet developed any plans and expectations about where it may go in the future,” he said.

“At this time, we are very much still trialling the game and seeing how it could operate.’’

But he revealed the AFL had hopes for the new concept beyond Australian shores.

RADICAL NEW CONCEPT AFLX SET TO BE LAUNCHED ON PRE-FINALS BYE WEEKEND

An exclusive trial of a new version of AFL football played on soccer pitch between two VFL teams. Picture: Supplied

“Our focus for the game is for it to be played at junior and community level, and we believe it can certainly be played in both Australia and overseas,’’ he said. “The space required for the size of our normal AFL games is a big challenge for many locations for us, particularly in developing the game overseas.

“AFLX offers us the chance to play a shortened version of the sport overseas with less space required.’’

AFLX matches are played on soccer pitches, with fewer players than a normal game and reduced playing time.

An AFLX trial between VFL teams Port Melbourne and Coburg in Albert Park in March was played over four 10-minute quarters and tested both eight-a-side and seven-a-side squads. Previous trials have featured seven players a side.

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch has backed the model to help the AFL push into China.

With the concept expected to expand in the future, Mr Dillon said its focus was likely to be below elite level, largely within communities and for junior players as an introduction to the sport.

“The aim for the game is for it to be free-flowing and high-scoring, and showcase the spectacular elements of our game such as precision kicking and high-marking,’’ he said. “The game also requires tackling and full body-contact, so there is also the opportunity for people to push towards elite athletic requirements to play the game well.’’

AFLX could expand Aussie Rules footprint into China and overseas | Herald Sun

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Yawn. Wellington fail. China fail. South Africa fail. China 2.0 will be a fail.

Langan
Langan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

I'm in Ireland at the moment and over here they've been playing afl x for years. 
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

AFLX is just an admission that they can no longer find enough players at the sub-elite level for entire teams. This is the future of their game in regional Victoria.
Langan
Langan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Crusader - 8 Jul 2017 9:49 AM
AFLX is just an admission that they can no longer find enough players at the sub-elite level for entire teams. This is the future of their game in regional Victoria.

As someone from country Victoria believe me there's still plenty of players and plenty of money to pay them. And even if the players were shit, if there were no better players they'd still get paid a top rate. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Langan - 8 Jul 2017 10:56 AM

As someone from country Victoria believe me there's still plenty of players and plenty of money to pay them. And even if the players were shit, if there were no better players they'd still get paid a top rate. 

2k a year. Top dollar. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Closed market. Their luck.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

With AFLx set to take over our pitches we might have to adopt this new game to find a place to play.  ;)

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/4775428/free-launch-of-footgolf/?cs=1563

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Gyfox - 8 Jul 2017 11:56 AM
With AFLx set to take over our pitches we might have to adopt this new game to find a place to play.  ;)

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/4775428/free-launch-of-footgolf/?cs=1563

Weve got footgolf in geelong. It goes alright but a pain if you want to play on weekends as they only open Sunday to friday And with everyone playing football on a Sunday it makes it hard to get a game in. 
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 8 Jul 2017 11:05 AM

2k a year. Top dollar. 

Nope, i know guys getting several hundred up to a 1k a week 
Edited
7 Years Ago by lukerobinho
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

lukerobinho - 8 Jul 2017 6:36 PM
TheSelectFew - 8 Jul 2017 11:05 AM

Nope, i know guys getting several hundred up to a 1k a week 

Thats definitely the vast majority. If it was the elite competition of fumball i think 2k would be huge but possible. 

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

AFL too violent on and off the field for the Chinese. AFLX has no chance.

Violent clash: Crowd brawl halts Ainsworth Reserve footy match
Genevieve Alison, Herald SunA LOCAL football match in the western suburbs has descended into violence after a brawl between spectators halted the game as police were called in.Police were called to the match between the Wyndham Suns and Sunshine Heights at Ainsworth Reserve around 4pm on Saturday after reports a melee had erupted.A Victoria Police spokesman said the incident was over by the time they arrived.“Police have not received any reports of assault at this stage,” a spokesman said.Footy fans took to social media to vent their frustration at yet another “ugly” outbreak of violence involving clubs from the Western Regions Football League.WERE YOU THERE? LET US KNOW: news@heraldsun.com.au“It’s getting beyond a joke with the amount fights that are happening in the lower divisions especially behind the fence,” one member posted to the Big Footy online forum.“I’m all for a bit of banter over the fence but it seems in this comp especially that it is getting out of control with the amount of crowd incidents that has occurred,” read another comment.It is the latest in a series of violent episodes at suburban football games which fans fear is tarnishing the game.In September last year, police were called in to investigate when more than 150 spectators were kicked, punched and racially abused at a football match in Tarneit.The Western Region Football League has not responded to requests by the Herald Sun for comment.genevieve.alison@news.com.au

In a resort somewhere

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I was reading the other day that Victoria is far more violent than NSW according to physical assault and break and enter statistics.  

I wonder if the violent nature of AFL and it's total absorption into the Victorian culture is partly responsible? 

Beaten by Eldar

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Eldar

I think you'll find the increased violence in Victoria is actually due to the Sok-ha and a rather unhealthy addiction to Pepper Pig !! Thank god they've got AFL to distract them from all the Sok-ha thugs out on regular pork-induced crime sprees .... I'm surprised our resident AFL fan hasn't already pointed this out, crime statistics won't improve until the Sok-ha is eradicated, although they'll probably keep Pepper Pig because it's useful for ratings comparisons ?!?
sav.09@live.com.au
sav.09@live.com.au
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

The AFL's relentless agendato strangle the wogball out of existence continues....both off the pitch through media control, history of stadia boycotts at professional level and now attack footballs greatest strength coommunity football .

Its all about perception...expect the usual media cheersquad to fall over themesleves talking 'up' the new comp.....expect articles , pieces. tv spots excited kids taking up new 'exciting' game..,..inevitably with 'we used to play sockah but now ' comment all to enhance 'Brand AFLofcourse.    Zero context and zero mention of actual facts on the ground..ie Ray Morgan research confirming footballs dominance as no1 participation ..which has ofcourse been totally buried by msm.

For classic shameless AFL paid PR...just watch 'The Link' on ABC podcast.    The funniest part..amongst the staged feel good AFL bs one of the interviewed parents daughter is smiling wearing anArsenal jersey !

sav.09@live.com.au
sav.09@live.com.au
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

Eldar - 9 Jul 2017 1:37 PM
I was reading the other day that Victoria is far more violent than NSW according to physical assault and break and enter statistics.  

I wonder if the violent nature of AFL and it's total absorption into the Victorian culture is partly responsible? 

3 king hits in one week ...two at  senior AFL level and one at amateur involving one of their senior managers and now possible police involvement. 
Not that the paid msm has made any connection...

sav.09@live.com.au
sav.09@live.com.au
Fan

City Sam - 22 Jun 2017 7:14 PM
What the fuck, it's funny that they think this will make the game take off in China.

It doesnt matter....for the AFL  Thought Police its all about perception for the average punter. .  With its media mates The recent coverage of the powers game china game was classic shameless paid pr exercise with wall to wall feelgood pr   by its murdoch media sugar daddy including the 'Oz'.    Some 4 pages!  reading it  you would believe the Alf was the ever australian sporting team that had had any contact in asia  and china.   Zero mention of the dreaded sockah via Asian cup/Asian champsleague etc  no surprise but not even mention Rugby sevens in hong kong etc

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

sav.09@live.com.au - 9 Jul 2017 2:30 PM
Eldar - 9 Jul 2017 1:37 PM

3 king hits in one week ...two at  senior AFL level and one at amateur involving one of their senior managers and now possible police involvement. 
Not that the paid msm has made any connection...

Add to that Archer former North player who had two punch ups at games, one involved him jumping the fence to go an umpire 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search