AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

Author
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
tsf - 7 Sep 2016 8:09 PM
adrtho2 - 7 Sep 2016 7:50 PM

we are not worried about what they are doing, but they are clearly bothered about football - it's why they're obsessed with preventing it growing. Every Sunday there is a new piece from some AFL affiliated person talking about stopping sokkah. As for 'why do you all care so much' - well if a well connected organisation with a well documented detrimental attitude towards our game is suddenly going to start trying to take the fields are games are played on, then I think it's ok for people to take at least a passing interest in. 

Lets be honest. This is what its all about. We're entitled little shits when we want our own grounds but now they want the few grounds we have. Roman times. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yeah, this is going awesome for the AFL already. One article labelled  'Morons, leave the game alone" and now it turns out some guy wants to sue them over it 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-facing-legal-action-over-ownership-of-afl-x-concept-20160908-grboco.html

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Mr football implosion thread?

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Desperation +.....I don't enjoy  watching AFL .......stupid game......but I do enjoy watching them constantly trying to keep football in check. Sort of like watching the English version of  "The Office"  ...cringeworthy... but funny....

Up the ante
Up the ante
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)

tsf - 8 Sep 2016 2:22 PM
Yeah, this is going awesome for the AFL already. One article labelled  'Morons, leave the game alone" and now it turns out some guy wants to sue them over it 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-facing-legal-action-over-ownership-of-afl-x-concept-20160908-grboco.html

"He presented the 30-page document to Lethlean alongside then Foxtel executive director Ben Buckley before holding further talks with other league officials who later ceased responding to his emails."

:Whistling:

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Channel Seven's Martin also confirmed he had been presented with the concept and the filmed trial held at AAMI Parkial held at AAMI Park.

The only Vic football stadium that excludes AFL and the Tards merrily let it happen. And no-one said a peep.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

paulc - 8 Sep 2016 5:31 PM
Channel Seven's Martin also confirmed he had been presented with the concept and the filmed trial held at AAMI Parkial held at AAMI Park.

The only Vic football stadium that excludes AFL and the Tards merrily let it happen. And no-one said a peep.

What would Melb Victory know about it. It's not their stadium. They don't have a say in who can play there.

agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

The facts are very disturbing for AFL, on the ground here in Victoria,  i can tell you I have been going to junior football all season with my kids and have been to a few dual code facilities,  on every single occasion, the football pitches had 6-10 games at any time.  The 3 AFL ovals were empty, no one. 

I was in a coastal town St Leonards which would have no more than 5000 residents,  the local AFL ground had 4 games of football on it and the facts are I have not seen 1 AFL game around Melbourne all year. 

So all this cheerleading from all forms of media here in Victoria, AFL is in big trouble in its heartland ,  they tell us Girls are taking the game up in their droves, I  have not seen or know anyone who has seen them play the sport. 

So this AFL x rubbish is just another smoke screen from the AFL , which the media cheerleaders have run with to continue the myth that AFL is some unstoppable beast. 

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

agga78 - 8 Sep 2016 6:02 PM
The facts are very disturbing for AFL, on the ground here in Victoria,  i can tell you I have been going to junior football all season with my kids and have been to a few dual code facilities,  on every single occasion, the football pitches had 6-10 games at any time.  The 3 AFL ovals were empty, no one. 

I was in a coastal town St Leonards which would have no more than 5000 residents,  the local AFL ground had 4 games of football on it and the facts are I have not seen 1 AFL game around Melbourne all year. 

So all this cheerleading from all forms of media here in Victoria, AFL is in big trouble in its heartland ,  they tell us Girls are taking the game up in their droves, I  have not seen or know anyone who has seen them play the sport. 

So this AFL x rubbish is just another smoke screen from the AFL , which the media cheerleaders have run with to continue the myth that AFL is some unstoppable beast. 

Its even better up here in Sydney. I have NEVER seen an AFL junior game. We don't even see AFL posts up on any grounds at all. Don't even get me on the state of the game in Western Sydney. There is downright hatred for it. 

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Many I know off forum believe AFL is an unstoppable beast.

I love it when they travel overseas and see or hear nothing about AFL.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
RBBAnonymous - 8 Sep 2016 6:05 PM

Its even better up here in Sydney. I have NEVER seen an AFL junior game. We don't even see AFL posts up on any grounds at all. Don't even get me on the state of the game in Western Sydney. There is downright hatred for it. 

Music to my ears.

The local  tabloid in Southern Tassie has no end of AFL column space. Yet the AFL upper administrative echelons  don't think Tassie deserves a team in one of only four states in the world where it is the main football code.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

In the part of Adelaide I grew up in... the local aussie fools  club is a 3 way merger between the local suburban team, and old scholars football team, and another suburban club from 12km away. It has a club house supported by machines that steal pensions. Their seniors play a game there each week.

Directly over the road is a large reserve with space for 6 rectangular fields. The ground has 6 matches of junior football at a time for half of a Saturday. 

Doesn't sound like much of an Aussie rules area, yeah: Except it's the suburb where SANFL Football Park was for 40 years...

Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 6:31 PM

In the part of Adelaide I grew up in... the local aussie fools  club is a 3 way merger between the local suburban team, and old scholars football team, and another suburban club from 12km away. It has a club house supported by machines that steal pensions. Their seniors play a game there each week.

Directly over the road is a large reserve with space for 6 rectangular fields. The ground has 6 matches of junior football at a time for half of a Saturday. 

Doesn't sound like much of an Aussie rules area, yeah: Except it's the suburb where SANFL Football Park was for 40 years...

up north in adelaide , its football . AFL still has support with the local SANFL team... but many amateur teams are folding...Some of them now co share their ground with an amateur football team . ( purely for revenue)
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro

In the part of Adelaide I grew up in... the local football club is a 3 way merger between the local suburban team, and old scholars football team, and another suburban club from 12km away. It has a club house supported by machines that steal pensions. Their seniors play a game there each week.

So we have two people in AFL heartland who attest that hardly any junior AFL is being played at all, and that it is pretty much football being played. Can anyone else in Vic, SA or WA see this trend or are all my dreams coming true. In 10-20 years all these kids playing the unstrayian game will be pretty much football fans. I can see further growth in football much to AFL's chagrin. 

Edited
8 Years Ago by RBBAnonymous
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Like to hear from overseas experiences... 
In the last 5 years , i worked in china and SEAsia a fair bit. Nothing but football ( except china where basketball is also popular )

In the US  , does the MLS experience this same sort of hatred from other codes ? and does that transpire from the media ?

Seems like here, its AFL taking on everyone ,using media and govt to galvanise their own lofty ambitions and put down other codes... Does this happen in the US ?
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro

RBBAnonymous - 8 Sep 2016 6:38 PM

So we have two people in AFL heartland who attest that hardly any junior AFL is being played at all, and that it is pretty much football being played. Can anyone else in Vic, SA or WA see this trend or are all my dreams coming true. In 10-20 years all these kids playing the unstrayian game will be pretty much football fans. I can see further growth in football much to AFL's chagrin. 

In SA, the two local AFL teams get media saturation.... cant help it... The print media is only newscorp, so pure AFL. Tv networks the same.. Only difference is radio....
5AA ( part of 3aw network ) is pure AFL and hates our code. Triple M are a lot more tolerant towards our code...( funny given eddie mcguire in victoria )

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

I watched the transition of aussie rules from the semi amateur days to professionalism and the AFL takeover of the sport in Adelaide, and subsequent murder of the SANFL. Much of what has killed the sport here is that the AFL has gone to war with its own roots trying to take over governing the whole game. One of the things they did was run down the SANFL clubs so they no longer did a lot of junior development, and instead the AFL shunted kids in to the new Auskick programme. So instead of belonging to a local football club you belonged to some shitty 45 minute drills session in school and got to kick the ball at half time of an AFL game for 12 minutes. A registered "pariticpant" today in aussie rules is nowhere near the quality as 30 years ago. Not even close.

AFL has been digging a hole for itself in Adelaide since 1990 and it'll be a pleasure to see them fall in.
Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Love reading these posts. AFL has dropped the ball. 

In schools its basketball or soccer. Even the ELF pitches have football GE's played on them. 

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro

Nachoman - 8 Sep 2016 6:44 PM

In SA, the two local AFL teams get media saturation.... cant help it... The print media is only newscorp, so pure AFL. Tv networks the same.. Only difference is radio....
5AA ( part of 3aw network ) is pure AFL and hates our code. Triple M are a lot more tolerant towards our code...( funny given eddie mcguire in victoria )

I was more interested in seeing whats happening at grassroots/junior level. I am a little surprised to the extent of what I am hearing. I know participation in football numbers are huge across the country but I seriously thought in places like Vic, SA and WA that there would be a lot more kids playing AFL than what I am hearing. In all three states I knew football had more participants but it sounds pretty dire for the AFL. 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 6:45 PM

I watched the transition of aussie rules from the semi amateur days to professionalism and the AFL takeover of the sport in Adelaide, and subsequent murder of the SANFL. Much of what has killed the sport here is that the AFL has gone to war with its own roots trying to take over governing the whole game. One of the things they did was run down the SANFL clubs so they no longer did a lot of junior development, and instead the AFL shunted kids in to the new Auskick programme. So instead of belonging to a local football club you belonged to some shitty 45 minute drills session in school and got to kick the ball at half time of an AFL game for 12 minutes. A registered "pariticpant" today in aussie rules is nowhere near the quality as 30 years ago. Not even close.

AFL has been digging a hole for itself in Adelaide since 1990 and it'll be a pleasure to see them fall in.

All of this. Why it was so easy to fall out of love with the game. 

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

As was said before reengineer the ball and make it heavier / softer etc so it can't go as far.

They did it in futsal.

It's an easy fix if they want to go down that path.

The problem with engineering the ball to make it travel less,is it is taking away the most attractive feature of the whole game.Kicking high and long.No one wants to watch or play a stupid game where you break your leg kicking an oval ball 10m and players jumping high for a 10m mark.

Hahaha look on the bright side.The shorter the field ,the game will be more like basket ball with kicking.
The high scores in the trial game suggest each side scores when it gets the ball and the loser is the team that misses the most.Something like basketball.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

The trial game played at the weekend between Coburg and Northern VFL teams ended 170-140, so scoring was very easy by the looks of it. They even got 10 points for goals kicked from outside a 40m line across the pitch. They played 10 minute quarters.

So I presume they're going with the 'people only wanna see goals and high scores' mantra, huh?

The more I think about it this AFX is going to be more like basketball with an oval ball.Make it a round ball and play on synthetic pitches and they might spread it world wide.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class

One thought occurred to me,

Why are AFL referring to playing on soccer fields rather than rugby or NRL fields.They are all pretty much the same dimensions?
plus rugby and league fields get much less use in summer.
Or here is an idea.
Why not divide up AFL ovals and play on their own turf?

Are they just wanting to chop up the playing surface which is so much more important to football?
Mister Football
Mister Football
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Decentric - 7 Sep 2016 10:33 PM
primtech - 7 Sep 2016 3:16 PM

When will the AFL hierarchy stop oscillating their hands up and down their phalluses and forget expansion overseas?

I've lived and travelled overseas for years and years and have never, ever read one word about aerial ping pong.

The story must have only appeared in SA, WA, Victorian or Tasmanian media. Anywhere else it would be ridiculed.

Maybe you need to get out a bit more.
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Mister Football - 8 Sep 2016 8:10 PM

AFL will never expand overseas. Not ever.

Quits simply, it's too late. They would've had to do it decades ago (which was obviously impossible). The world is too set in its ways and globalised. No country will embrace something so new, especially when it has no prospects for them.

There are other sports in the world much bigger than AFL, such as gridiron and baseball, and even these have very little marketability outside of America. Except maybe Japan for baseball.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 8 Sep 2016 6:47 PM
Love reading these posts. AFL has dropped the ball. 

In schools its basketball or soccer. Even the ELF pitches have football GE's played on them. 

If you said 25 years ago how popular football was people would now be people would think your were sokkah's equivalent of Mister Football.

If you had said 15 years ago how many kids would be playing people would laugh.

If you had said 30 years ago our top football players would earn 5 to ten times more than our top Aussie rules players they'd lock you up. 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Pot meet kettle. 
adrtho2
adrtho2
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 8 Sep 2016 7:36 PM
One thought occurred to me,Why are AFL referring to playing on soccer fields rather than rugby or NRL fields.They are all pretty much the same dimensions?plus rugby and league fields get much less use in summer.Or here is an idea.Why not divide up AFL ovals and play on their own turf?Are they just wanting to chop up the playing surface which is so much more important to football?

because there no NRL fields on most of the world

this games AFL X   is all about playing AFL football in countries that don't have cricket grounds
adrtho2
adrtho2
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

MikeDude - 8 Sep 2016 8:17 PM

AFL will never expand overseas. Not ever.

Quits simply, it's too late. They would've had to do it decades ago (which was obviously impossible). The world is too set in its ways and globalised. No country will embrace something so new, especially when it has no prospects for them.

There are other sports in the world much bigger than AFL, such as gridiron and baseball, and even these have very little marketability outside of America. Except maybe Japan for baseball.

again....AFL doesn't need to have Pro-Leagues in countries to expand.....do you see rugby union  have pro leagues all around the world,

96 countries where in the Rugby World Cup qualifying, 39 of those countries from Europe....did you watch Croatia vs Netherlands Rugby World Cup qualifying, match?   no, but it happen , both countries have a National team , with out a pro League

AFL X will expand. AFL football outside of Australia, because the game will fit on a soccer ground

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Europeans can't catch a ball.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search