W-League players eye switch to AFL for cash boost, survey shows

W-League players eye switch to AFL for cash boost, survey shows

Author
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mister Football - 8 Sep 2016 7:14 PM
Holden's sponsorship of the Collingwood womens team is indeed $1.5 million per annum.

That's serious money.

I'd love to see the specifics because the players sure as hell aren't seeing much of it. 

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Mister Football - 8 Sep 2016 7:14 PM
Holden's sponsorship of the Collingwood womens team is indeed $1.5 million per annum.

That's serious money.

Plutomania.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

There is that temptation of a World Cup or Olympic medal up for grabs with AFL I guess.So an extra 5k will be an added bonus..
Maybe if all goes well they can dress in lingerie?

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

scott21 - 8 Sep 2016 10:20 AM
bohemia - 7 Sep 2016 11:54 PM

The AFL X story took me to the age fb which gave us this little gem.

AFL 2016: Kevin Sheedy wants Greater Western Sydney Giants to bring back Israel Folau

Legendary coach Kevin Sheedy is urging Greater Western Sydney to do the extraordinary: lure Israel Folau back from rugby for another crack at AFL success.

Hitting back at criticism from former Sydney chairman Richard Colless, who labelled the recruiting of Folau as "irresponsible and dumb", Sheedy said the Wallabies fullback can still become a "top-class" player.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/greater-western-sydney-giants/afl-2016-kevin-sheedy-wants-greater-western-sydney-giants-to-bring-back-israel-folau-20160906-gr9mwq.html

To tell you the truth I think Israel Folau felt guilty for earning so much money for a sport he had no idea how to play. I hope they spend more to lure him back. It would be a complete waste of money and I love when the AFL wastes money. 

Edited
8 Years Ago by RBBAnonymous
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Idk how Sheedy remains a legend in AFL culture when he just comes up with the dumbest (and most offensive) shit to get his name in the paper.

I'd say he was a major reason in why so many people in the West hate the Giants in the first place.

Viennese Vuck

Post_hoc
Post_hoc
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I noticed how you ignored the $1.5 million isn't new money, but repurposed.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Sheedy has lost his marbles.Which seems to be a disease spreads throughout AFL land at the moment.
Maybe he is receiving a commission for NRL converts?
Mister Football
Mister Football
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Post_hoc - 8 Sep 2016 8:46 PM
I noticed how you ignored the $1.5 million isn't new money, but repurposed.

It is part of Holden's original $3 million per annum sponsorship package to Collingwood, but Holden has insisted that half be directed towards the womens team (or Collingwood were going to lose it entirely if they did not agree).
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Mister Football - 8 Sep 2016 9:33 PM
Post_hoc - 8 Sep 2016 8:46 PM

It is part of Holden's original $3 million per annum sponsorship package to Collingwood, but Holden has insisted that half be directed towards the womens team (or Collingwood were going to lose it entirely if they did not agree).

Because when Eddie McGuire outed himself as your garden variety domestic violence advocate Holden forced them to divert the funds to womens programmes to compensate for the brand damage to them.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 8 Sep 2016 9:16 PM
Sheedy has lost his marbles.Which seems to be a disease spreads throughout AFL land at the moment.Maybe he is receiving a commission for NRL converts?

The best thing about Sheeds' crazy ideas.... is the AFL gags for them. I remember when he was well past it, coaching the Greatest Waste of Money Giants, and he just brain farted this idea out of nowhere that the Swans derby game needed a name like "the battle for the bridge." It was just so cheesy, I couldn't stop laughing at it.

About 3 weeks later the ads were running on Foxtel for the Battle of the Bridge.
Oblivious Troll
Oblivious Troll
Rising Star
Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 9:55 PM
crimsoncrusoe - 8 Sep 2016 9:16 PM

Sheeds... just brain farted this idea out of nowhere that the Swans derby game needed a name like "the battle for the bridge."

About 3 weeks later the ads were running on Foxtel for the Battle of the Bridge.

I think that you can rest assured that this was all scripted for him days if not weeks before he was interviewed.

Its a game for everyone. Its not pale, male, or stale. It transcends race, gender, economic status. Its for everyone. - Tal Karp

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Oblivious Troll - 8 Sep 2016 10:14 PM
bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 9:55 PM

I think that you can rest assured that this was all scripted for him days if not weeks before he was interviewed.

How does the bridge relate to western Sydney though. 

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

TheSelectFew - 8 Sep 2016 10:20 PM

It's not about Sydney, it's about projecting strength in Sydney to the plebs in Melbourne. They could call Sydney v GWS the Battle of DeeWhy for all they care
Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 10:28 PM

It's not about Sydney, it's about projecting strength in Sydney to the plebs in Melbourne. They could call Sydney v GWS the Battle of WoyWoy for all they care

This is true. 

Oblivious Troll
Oblivious Troll
Rising Star
Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)

You can see it from parts of Drummoyne.

Its a game for everyone. Its not pale, male, or stale. It transcends race, gender, economic status. Its for everyone. - Tal Karp

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Toughlove - 7 Sep 2016 11:07 PM
bohemia - 7 Sep 2016 10:59 PM

Not many big picture thinkers here.  W league players would be lucky to earn that.  What if this AFL thing took off and the girls were paid $25k a year as a minimum?  It would rape and pillage the women's game, at the elite level, like nothing else.

The fact Holden is sponsoring a women's team, repeat a women's team, $1.5 million a season should raise more than a few eyebrows.  Most A-league teams would crawl over broken glass to sign a 'Holden' or a 'Ford' type sponsor at that money.  

Sure it may not affect the men's game so much in the short term but every little girl and mum that takes up AFL in either a support or playing role is one less paying soccer fan.  And when you look at how many families attend the A-league that is not going to end well.

It's a real threat no matter how much you try and denigrate the AFL hierarchy.  

Agree. This has the potential to have disastrous consequences. Plus, as I've pointed out before. Football needs to start making inroads against Aussie Rules on all levels in order that it can get some kind of influence in Australia's sporting cultural landscape.

The majority of children in Australia have a mother. Her tastes will have some influence in what they do (or at least, when you've got enough mothers who like such and such, it's influential).

When women and men alike have been brought up playing football, it's far more likely they'll bring their children up playing football and supporting the NT and an A-League team. Punching the women's game in the guts is massively unhelpful.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

quickflick - 8 Sep 2016 10:42 PM
Toughlove - 7 Sep 2016 11:07 PM

Agree. This has the potential to have disastrous consequences. Plus, as I've pointed out before. Football needs to start making inroads against Aussie Rules on all levels in order that it can get some kind of influence in Australia's sporting cultural landscape.

The majority of children in Australia have a mother. Her tastes will have some influence in what they do (or at least, when you've got enough mothers who like such and such, it's influential).

When women and men alike have been brought up playing football, it's far more likely they'll bring their children up playing football and supporting the NT and an A-League team. Punching the women's game in the guts is massively unhelpful.

Australian football has had a national, televised womens league for how long? Australia has an international womens team that plays in... how many recognised world competitions? There are pro/semi pro womens competitions in how many other countries? And the AFL hacks together an 8 team comp in Melbourne and throws a wopping 25k a a marquee per club and 5k at the rest... and we are supposed to be making inroads in to them? Here's a question for you. If 5k doesn't cut it for an aussie fools player then why don't they have a crack at pro womens sockah in Australia..... or America...is the sky falling on them now?

Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I've got an idea for how women's AFL can suffer big time and football can be painted in a really good light in terms of encouraging girls to play it.

The trouble is that it would require very aggressive marketing from the FFA and would have a backlash. It would be regarded as backwards in terms of how women should view themselves.

But I suspect it would be rather effective.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 10:50 PM

Australian football has had a national, televised womens league for how long? Australia has an international womens team that plays in... how many recognised world competitions? There are pro/semi pro womens competitions in how many other countries? And the AFL hacks together an 8 team comp in Melbourne and throws a wopping 25k a a marquee per club and 5k at the rest... and we are supposed to be making inroads in to them? Here's a question for you. If 5k doesn't cut it for an aussie fools player then why don't they have a crack at pro womens sockah in Australia..... or America...is the sky falling on them now?

The sky isn't falling. It's more of the same. The AFL being parochial, defensive and aggressive all in one. Needlessly. And this time tapping into progressive ideas of women in sport (professional and grassroots). This is something that it's very difficult to criticise without looking like a tosser. It suits the AFL's agenda perfectly. I'll make myself like just that and say that, yes I'm all for women in sport, but the AFL's attempts to gain athletes from other sports makes me just about vom.

As for women foregoing a measly five grand to have a crack at sockah...

I don't know enough about the women's game (as in I don't speak much to people involved), but I'd suspect that a girl without the technical skillset for football (brought about through playing for ages) is not about to acquire that skillset at the drop of a hat (unlike with Aussie Rules ;) )

That plus people don't tend to think outside the box.

Are we sure that the women just get 5 grand for women's AFL? How much does the average W-League girl get? Surely it must be more (or maybe sponsorship benefits?) for them to consider jumping ship.

Assuming this article has a reasonable amount of merit

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

quickflick - 8 Sep 2016 11:07 PM

The sky isn't falling. It's more of the same. The AFL being parochial, defensive and aggressive all in one. Needlessly. And this time tapping into progressive ideas of women in sport (professional and grassroots). This is something that it's very difficult to criticise without looking like a tosser. It suits the AFL's agenda perfectly. I'll make myself like just that and say that, yes I'm all for women in sport, but the AFL's attempts to gain athletes from other sports makes me just about vom.

As for women foregoing a measly five grand to have a crack at sockah...

I don't know enough about the women's game (as in I don't speak much to people involved), but I'd suspect that a girl without the technical skillset for football (brought about through playing for ages) is not about to acquire that skillset at the drop of a hat (unlike with Aussie Rules ;) )

That plus people don't tend to think outside the box.

Are we sure that the women just get 5 grand for women's AFL? How much does the average W-League girl get? Surely it must be more (or maybe sponsorship benefits?) for them to consider jumping ship.

Assuming this article has a reasonable amount of merit

The Womens AFL pays 25k for a marquee, 10k for the top draft picks, down to 5k for the rest. It has 8 teams and 1.6 million for wages. Take consideration of the far larger squad size for an aussie fools club. This is total payments including superannuation and doesn't include insurance. 

The W League has a 150k wage bill per club.

So at 200k per AWFL club, with twice as many players to share it, and no possibility for the best players to earn match payments from a national team, and literally no other competition in the world to ply their trade..... the AFL wage "danger" claim is utter bs. 

The article in the OP is targeted squarely at the FFA and represents the interests of the football players union, nothing more.
Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 11:10 PM
quickflick - 8 Sep 2016 11:07 PM

The Womens AFL pays 25k for a marquee, 10k for the top draft picks, down to 5k for the rest. It has 8 teams and 1.6 million for wages. Take consideration of the far larger squad size for an aussie fools club. This is total payments including superannuation and doesn't include insurance.

The W League has a 150k wage bill per club.

Then why are this lot, allegedly, giving serious consideration to jumping ship? There must be something other than financial motives (which is possibly more disturbing, if true).

It would be interesting to hear, anecdotally, from posters who may know girls in the W-League and their thoughts on all this.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

quickflick - 8 Sep 2016 11:13 PM
bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 11:10 PM

Then why are this lot, allegedly, giving serious consideration to jumping ship? There must be something other than financial motives (which is possibly more disturbing, if true).

It would be interesting to hear, anecdotally, from posters who may know girls in the W-League and their thoughts on all this.

It is standard hyperbole from a union in any industry.
Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
Mister Football
Mister Football
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

bohemia - 8 Sep 2016 9:52 PM
Mister Football - 8 Sep 2016 9:33 PM

Because when Eddie McGuire outed himself as your garden variety domestic violence advocate Holden forced them to divert the funds to womens programmes to compensate for the brand damage to them.

That's right, nevertheless it's a $1.5 million annual sponsorship package directed at the new womens football team.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Do you want to give up on the living in your home state in the W-League, Matilda's, Olympics, World Cup, moving to a foreign club or an American univerity? We will give you 5k and the chance to move to the shitty suburban parts of Melbourne that we abandoned decades ago?

Nobody could resist that pitch.
Toughlove
Toughlove
Rising Star
Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)

It's $5k now but what if, in 3 or 5 years time it was a $30k base salary?  Plenty of the girls currently playing W-League, going by the survey in this or the other thread, may jump ship.

It's a hypothetical of course but it could happen.  More worrying is girls taking up AFL at a social level.  

The neanderthal brigade who think 'women's football is shit' are missing the point as usual.

As an aside it's amazing how so many 'I don't care about women's football' types find the need to constantly denigrate women's football.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Toughlove
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Toughlove - 9 Sep 2016 12:18 AM

It's $5k now but what if, in 3 or 5 years time it was a $30k base salary?  Plenty of the girls currently playing W-League, going by the survey in this or the other thread, may jump ship.

It's a hypothetical of course but it could happen.  More worrying is girls taking up AFL at a social level.  

The neanderthal brigade who think 'women's football is shit' are missing the point as usual.

As an aside it's amazing how so many 'I don't care about women's football' types find the need to constantly denigrate women's football.

30k in this day is still FA. 

Toughlove
Toughlove
Rising Star
Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)

TheSelectFew - 9 Sep 2016 12:32 AM
Toughlove - 9 Sep 2016 12:18 AM

30k in this day is still FA. 

For a bloke.

The matildas base wage was $21k until they went on strike.  I think it's now $34k.  But remember that's the 'elite' contracted players.  The W-League lasses are on waaaay less.
MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

I guess this is a Melbourne thing. Sports in Aus have co-existed for centuries just a few zealots and media nutcases behaving badly. Also think there is a bit of an inferior complex on both sides of the fence. For the football fan you should feel complimented that AFL with all there resources keep having to prove how relevant they are.
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

all of the W-league clubs except Melbourne City are no where near the salary cap (a few seasons ago Sydney Fc wage bill for W-league was $70,000). W-league players without Matildas contract generally earn between $1000 and $6000 a season, although there are a few clubs (Adelaide and Brisbane) where some players don't get paid at all, just costs covered. So the minimum 5000 at the Afl would be tempting to any w-leaguer who is not going to ever be good enough for the national team or playing overseas.
Edited
8 Years Ago by thewitness
Mister Football
Mister Football
Pro

thewitness - 9 Sep 2016 6:29 AM
all of the W-league clubs except Melbourne City are no where near the salary cap (a few seasons ago Sydney Fc wage bill for W-league was $70,000). W-league players without Matildas contract generally earn between $1000 and $6000 a season, although there are a few clubs (Adelaide and Brisbane) where some players don't get paid at all, just costs covered. So the minimum 5000 at the Afl would be tempting to any w-leaguer who is not going to ever be good enough for the national team or playing overseas.

That's right, and it's worth mentioning that $5,000 is the base pay, and I'd say about half the team will be on that, others will be on $10,000 and $15,000 (two marquees will receive an additional $10,000, bringing their pay to $25,000, still on the low  side, but it's a start).

The salary cap is currently $190,000.  Each of the 8 teams will receive $250,000 from the AFL, and total annual costs for the inaugural season are estimated to be $500,000, meaning each club needs to find $250,000 in additional revenue. 

All the clubs already have sponsorships lined up (with Collingwood's womens team receiving $1.5 million from Holden).

What this is telling me is that the 8 clubs are going to cover their costs for the first season with absolute ease, plus some, meaning they can look to increase both teams and salaries from the second season onwards.

At least one game, possibly two, will be on FTA starting next year.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search