AFL trumped by soccer in football code pay stakes

AFL trumped by soccer in football code pay stakes

Author
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
AFL might have had a chance in China 100years ago.
A sport where players try to bounce an egg shaped ball,when a round one is available and used in a similar sport for decades in Ireland would have fitted a country that used chopsticks when spoons and forks were available.
But China now love Football,so AFL is just a weird curiosity...bounce egg shaped ball..?...hmmm ..weird.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

tsf - 19 Dec 2016 11:29 AM
walnuts - 19 Dec 2016 11:26 AM

If you put link or headline into google, then click on article once it comes up in search results you usually get around it

Genius!
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Benjamin - 19 Dec 2016 1:12 PM
Have told this story here before - but one of the most entertaining conversations I've had since coming to Australia was with three Hawthorn players just after Shane Crawford's latest contract had been announced, around 2000-2001ish...  His deal was apparently breath-taking and spectacular, and showed just how rich the AFL was - then I noted how much a friend of mine was getting - at the bottom end of the EPL.  They had never heard of the club, or of the player, and couldn't believe that a squad member in the EPL could earn more than their very own superstar.

Your friend doesn't happen to be Steven Fletcher, does it?
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Have told this story here before - but one of the most entertaining conversations I've had since coming to Australia was with three Hawthorn players just after Shane Crawford's latest contract had been announced, around 2000-2001ish...  His deal was apparently breath-taking and spectacular, and showed just how rich the AFL was - then I noted how much a friend of mine was getting - at the bottom end of the EPL.  They had never heard of the club, or of the player, and couldn't believe that a squad member in the EPL could earn more than their very own superstar.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Dec 2016 12:57 PM
I still can't get my head around that the AFL has a $400m per season TV deal yet their players are only given a small percentage of that. Where does all the money go?

It's what their players now want to know too. 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

That just shows how much money there really is in the CSL or Middle East. Our best players will be playing in crap leagues to the detriment of our national team. Sainsbury should have taken the Middlesbrough offer and Milligan should have been in a decent Europe league too.

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

The more these families that have kids in soccer realise that a decent football career can set their child up for life the better. A lot of the bogan families push their kids into AFL/NRL looking for money, a lot less risk in football giving the amount of places around the world that can provide a good salary. Of course the sport should still be all about fun, I'm only talking about a small group of parents.

I remember the Sydney Morning Herald melting down that Wilkshire was on 5 million a season in Russia at 13% tax. I think I read somewhere he is on around 750k in the Russian Second Division atm lol.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I still can't get my head around that the AFL has a $400m per season TV deal yet their players are only given a small percentage of that. Where does all the money go?
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

tsf - 19 Dec 2016 12:19 PM
sokorny - 19 Dec 2016 12:16 PM

That's impressive.

Worth noting Thon Maker and Ben Simmons are in their first year of the NBA
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
This gap will only get bigger with the A-League's new TV deal.
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I love it when Victorians, Western Australians and South Australians discover that AFL isn't the centre of the universe, and nobody outside their insular, parochial states gives a shit. It really is quite beautiful.

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

walnuts - 19 Dec 2016 10:24 AM
chillbilly - 19 Dec 2016 9:48 AM

Someone like Good will just be a part of the wider picture that is Premier League salaries in general - at $1.2 million/year he'd definitely be at the low end of the spectrum at a club like Newcastle. It's almost chump change to those sort of clubs.

Not to be superficial, but I don't see why the FFA and football in this country don't push the salary factor a bit more tbh - even a few years in China would sit up a player for life as opposed to what an elite player can earn over a career in the AFL.

I know but it still doesn't make it any easier for me to imagine the amount of money being thrown around relative to my perspective. I think what most of the young A-league players is a lot and that gets blown out of the water by many leagues around the world.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

That is some beautiful bogan butthurt. I wonder how many of them are multis for Mr VFL?
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

sokorny - 19 Dec 2016 12:16 PM
I'd say given the build of AFL players they should be more worried about the money that Aussie basketball players get.

Andrew Bogut $15M
Matthew Delladova $12.6M
Aron Baynes $8.5M
Ben Simmons $7.7M
Dante Exum $5.2M
Patty Mills $4.25M
Thon Maker $3.4M
Joe Ingles $2.8M

That's impressive.

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I'd say given the build of AFL players they should be more worried about the money that Aussie basketball players get.

Andrew Bogut $15M
Matthew Delladova $12.6M
Aron Baynes $8.5M
Ben Simmons $7.7M
Dante Exum $5.2M
Patty Mills $4.25M
Thon Maker $3.4M
Joe Ingles $2.8M

tsf
tsf
Legend

redcup - 19 Dec 2016 12:10 PM
primtech - 19 Dec 2016 10:47 AM

Also to add to their lack of reality they're saying stupid things about Port Adelaide even though reality shows that Adelaide United have played games for ACL points and they've also had Chinese sponsors while Kochie was still dreaming about a game of AFL with his team being represented in China.

A few ACL games viewing audiences involving Aus sides have made AFL finals ratings look laughable. 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Nice to know NTS and Dario is on such good coin...
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

primtech - 19 Dec 2016 10:47 AM
Goes to show how much the fringe sports like League and Aussie Rules are up against it. The gulf will only get far bigger with China especially going hard with their $.

Sadly they're so far from reality that blokes like Koch think that a game of AFL in a Chinese city will woo those millions of people over because Aussie-rules is the greatest game in the world.

Also to add to their lack of reality they're saying stupid things about Port Adelaide even though reality shows that Adelaide United have played games for ACL points against Chinese teams and they've also had Chinese sponsors while Kochie was still dreaming about a game of AFL with his team being represented in China.
Edited
8 Years Ago by redcup
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

tsf - 19 Dec 2016 11:21 AM
Wow. The VFL fans are really throwing their toys out the pram at this one:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-trumped-by-soccer-in-football-code-pay-stakes/news-story/ba70c192378c425c1b2a412d3af6cbf9

Many of them find it hard to fathom that the pinnacle of football for Aus players is not the local competition. 

bonafide One Nation voters if they're fair dinkum in their sentiments; shit banter if not.

But it's obv they're afraid. They needn't be - when Collingwood's future HAL team is playing in the Club World Cup against Real Madrid, they'll be wondering WTF they were ever resistant to...

MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Interesting reading but perception is everything. Cannot wait for the day that the Aus media hypes the shit out of the A-league the way it does the other codes.
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Dec 2016 10:37 AM
Davidson, Behich and NTS getting paid more than the highest earning AFL player lol

lol that is amusing as hell

agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

I await the anti football article which will come in the next week or puff piece on how good afl is in the Herald Sun. 
tsf
tsf
Legend

walnuts - 19 Dec 2016 11:26 AM

Paywall :(

Perhaps post a selection of some of the best ones? lol

If you put link or headline into google, then click on article once it comes up in search results you usually get around it
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-trumped-by-soccer-in-football-code-pay-stakes/news-story/ba70c192378c425c1b2a412d3af6cbf9

Many of them find it hard to fathom that the pinnacle of football for Aus players is not the local competition. 

Paywall :(

Perhaps post a selection of some of the best ones? lol

tsf
tsf
Legend

Edited
8 Years Ago by tsf
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Why would we want to keep our best in Australia? Every player that goes overseas opens up another spot for a player to sign a professional contract.

Lol at NTS earning so much more than any VFL player but even average defenders like him and Leijer are worth more than them. It shows the value of the +1 rule for Australian defenders. South American and European attackers fill the 3 visa spots and that makes an Australian defender attractive for the Asian spot. SFC will probably lose either Ryall or Jurman to China.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

The list also shows how hard it is to keep our best in Australia.
primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)

Goes to show how much the fringe sports like League and Aussie Rules are up against it. The gulf will only get far bigger with China especially going hard with their $.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Davidson, Behich and NTS getting paid more than the highest earning AFL player lol
tsf
tsf
Legend

Crusader - 19 Dec 2016 10:24 AM
Hard to believe Leckie is so far down the list 

I find it hard to believe he gets 2 million to leave the ball behind or blaze over the bar.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search