AFL Women’s League the latest competition to pose a threat to lethargic A-League

AFL Women’s League the latest competition to pose a threat to...

Author
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MarkfromCroydon - 7 Feb 2017 3:34 PM
What i'd like to know is when are we going to get a media 'partner' like AFL has adn a more savvy marketing department at FFA? If you live in Victoria, for the last couple of months, every single day there has been at least one item on the Womens AFL in either the Herald Sun, on Channel 7 News or on the radio (SEN). Channel 7 have been playing stories on it in most evening news bulletins, sometimes as the lead story. Usually, there is a coordinated press release that all of the agencies seem to pick up. I have hardly any interest in AFL (mens or womens), but I couldn't have avoided knowing all about the womens competition even if I wanted to to. That tells me the AFL are marketing their game aggressively. I remeber a few weeks ago Dave Davutovic made the comment that he was hardly getting anything from FFA. There really needs to be some auditing of the marketing department at FFA.

Why would the FFA spend money marketing the League now the TV deal is locked in ?  

Yoshi and Timmy took all of the budget.

Fox's problem now.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The new TV deal includes $6 mill per annum of contra, which covers publicity.
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

pippinu - 7 Feb 2017 4:46 PM
The new TV deal includes $6 mill per annum of contra, which covers publicity.

Really ?

So it's down to $50m -$6m (contra) - $3m (timmyfund) = $41m ?

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

View from the fence - 7 Feb 2017 6:07 PM
pippinu - 7 Feb 2017 4:46 PM

Really ?

So it's down to $50m -$6m (contra) - $3m (timmyfund) = $41m ?

This is one confusing aspect of the deal which I haven't been able to work out.

So the contra is definitely $6 mill, but it's also meant to include the marquee fund.

What the hell does that mean?

So I always look at it as being in Year 1 $50 mill - $6 mill = $44 mill which represents all the cash available, I don't reduce it further for the timmy fund - but this means we have to view the $6 mill contra as being something different to how we would normally view contra - unless the inclusion of $3 mill in the contra is actually for marketing marquees rather than paying for them.

World Class

pippinu - 7 Feb 2017 7:05 PM
View from the fence - 7 Feb 2017 6:07 PM

This is one confusing aspect of the deal which I haven't been able to work out.

So the contra is definitely $6 mill, but it's also meant to include the marquee fund.

What the hell does that mean?

So I always look at it as being in Year 1 $50 mill - $6 mill = $44 mill which represents all the cash available, I don't reduce it further for the timmy fund - but this means we have to view the $6 mill contra as being something different to how we would normally view contra - unless the inclusion of $3 mill in the contra is actually for marketing marquees rather than paying for them.

Marketing a marquee ?...........thought twas tother way round.......that's what you're paying for

JPetro
JPetro
Weekender
Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)Weekender (46 reputation)

The Aleague need to act fast.. they are now coming close to the 4th hottest ticket in town over summer...even the NBL is more appealing of late.
BBL is by far the most popular.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

scubaroo - 7 Feb 2017 2:52 PM
P&r isnt the answer... yet. We are decades off a sustainable competition that includes that but expansion is needed...

We cant afford current a-league teams to be relegated, they will be lost forever, then the following year it will happen again. 

Comments like this really worry me, because it's similar thinking to what we get from the FFA.

We talk about wanting a 'sustainable competition' and 'sustainable clubs', but no one even knows what that means.  Despite all the financial troubles that both the league and most clubs have had over the years, the A-League is in it's 12th year with growing crowds and having recently signed the biggest tv deal we've ever had.  What does being sustainable mean, if not that the league continues to operate and grow for over a decade?  People keep wanting to delay innovation and change in pursuit of this magical point of 'sustainability', but it doesn't exist.  And if we ever do reach it no one will know, because we don't know what it looks like.

And expansion for me isn't the answer either.  It's part of the solution, but not the critical part by any means.  By itself, all expansion will do is give a short term boost to the A-League.  And after a couple of years we'll all be complaining about even more dead rubbers and boredom.  And meanwhile the gap between the A-League and the NPL will continue to get bigger, making it even harder and more costly to bridge that gap in the future.  And ambitious clubs around the country will continue to feel ignored.

These delays in the name of waiting for the right time (for 'sustainability', better tv deal, etc.) - all they do is make the job more difficult in the future.  The time to make changes is now, otherwise we'll be having these exact same discusions in another few years.

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

aussieshorter - 8 Feb 2017 11:55 AM

Comments like this really worry me, because it's similar thinking to what we get from the FFA.

We talk about wanting a 'sustainable competition' and 'sustainable clubs', but no one even knows what that means.  Despite all the financial troubles that both the league and most clubs have had over the years, the A-League is in it's 12th year with growing crowds and having recently signed the biggest tv deal we've ever had.  What does being sustainable mean, if not that the league continues to operate and grow for over a decade?  People keep wanting to delay innovation and change in pursuit of this magical point of 'sustainability', but it doesn't exist.  And if we ever do reach it no one will know, because we don't know what it looks like.

And expansion for me isn't the answer either.  It's part of the solution, but not the critical part by any means.  By itself, all expansion will do is give a short term boost to the A-League.  And after a couple of years we'll all be complaining about even more dead rubbers and boredom.  And meanwhile the gap between the A-League and the NPL will continue to get bigger, making it even harder and more costly to bridge that gap in the future.  And ambitious clubs around the country will continue to feel ignored.

These delays in the name of waiting for the right time (for 'sustainability', better tv deal, etc.) - all they do is make the job more difficult in the future.  The time to make changes is now, otherwise we'll be having these exact same discusions in another few years.

Good post. 

World Class

The huge initial popularity of the AFLW has led to a second venue change in as many weeks, with Saturday’s encounter between  CollingwoodCollingwood  and Melbourne to be moved to Princes Park.

The match was originally scheduled to take place at Olympic Park, the Pies’ 5,000-capacity home ground, but the match has been switched after last week’s bumper crowds during the opening round.

The match was originally scheduled to take place at Olympic Park, the Pies’ 5,000-capacity home ground, but the match has been switched after last week’s bumper crowds during the opening round.

AFLW: big crowds, tough play and irate fans – footy just as we know and love it | Felicity Race

AFLW: big crowds, tough play and irate fans – footy just as we know and love it | Felicity Race  Read more

Princes Park, which holds nearly 24,500, will host the all-Melbourne clash on Saturday evening as part of a double-header that starts in the afternoon when Carlton host Greater Western Sydney.

Princes Park, which holds nearly 24,500, will host the all-Melbourne clash on Saturday evening as part of a double-header that starts in the afternoon when Carlton host Greater Western Sydney.

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

I want a Kiwi team in this AFLW.
MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Kaka (Orlando City) - $7.167 million. ...

Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC) - $7.115 million. ...

Michael Bradley (Toronto FC) - $6.5 million. ...

Steven Gerrard (Los Angles Galaxy) - $6.1 million. ...

Frank Lampard (New York City FC) - $6.0 million.

Can we afford salaries like this? If the question is yes then we would be making the back page every week. It shouldn't be understated what these guys have done for the MLS. One thing I loved about Yorke and Del Piero non of the shit the papers tried to throw at our game mattered because

people kept coming back to see these guys and the papers couldn't stop reporting fluff pieces about them.

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan - 8 Feb 2017 3:38 PM
I want a Kiwi team in this AFLW.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

PK almost bust a nut talking about soccer for a full minute on the ABC news.  but he had some decent insight on the womens game.  he said that the athletes in the womens game are a loss less worried about the pull of AFL than some of the media commentators make out.  

He said that the womens AFL is being carried by the cash of the mens game and it the other codes should have more to be worried about because of soccers high participation rates.

To me the womens AFL popularity proves a point.  If the womens game is given the revenue and advertising it will get the support.  It's the gendered discrimination that prevents its popularity.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Davide82 - 7 Feb 2017 10:44 AM
southmelb - 7 Feb 2017 9:29 AM

What does it matter if cricket and AFL and all thjeir variations are bigger ratings winners than our game. They always have been and very very likely always will be.

It matters because we don't exist in a vacuum.  When AFL and cricket begin to creep into our already limited 'clear air' they provide tv companies with something else to show, newspapers with something else to write about, corporate parties with another option for sporting gatherings...  They compete with our game for sponsors, and hurt the value of our sponsorships by reducing our market impact...

Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

Benjamin - 10 Feb 2017 1:06 PM
Davide82 - 7 Feb 2017 10:44 AM

It matters because we don't exist in a vacuum.  When AFL and cricket begin to creep into our already limited 'clear air' they provide tv companies with something else to show, newspapers with something else to write about, corporate parties with another option for sporting gatherings...  They compete with our game for sponsors, and hurt the value of our sponsorships by reducing our market impact...

Cricket "creeping in" to the summer? 
MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Our journos don't help the cause. We have Bossi asking why the crowds against Sydney v Phoenix were low. Do we really need an article for this  question. It is not Science. If the game was on a Saturday it would be better attended, if the team was the WSW it would sold out, if the team were the two Melbourne teams it would be well attended. For what reason would he need to write an article like this? Perception is everything and we need to be smart about the perception the league has. If Thursday games are unavoidable then focus on the game. AFL do this better than us, they have better finances but they are also smart on how things are promoted, for one we are comparing a free games in AFL heartland  with actual competitions that cost money and run for 27 games but in the media detail means nothing perception is everything.
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Amazingly, The West Australian newspaper (basically a non-stop, year-round, AFL cheersquad) had an article talking up the W-League and poking some holes in the AFLW today.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/why-perth-glory-star-sam-kerr-snubbed-aflw-for-w-league-ng-b88381411z

Perth Glory captain Sam Kerr says she was never tempted to join the AFL women’s league, claiming there is no incentive for Australia’s top soccer players to make the code switch.
The 23-year-old Matildas star will lead Glory in Sunday’s W-League grand final against Melbourne City at nib Stadium in a showpiece fixture that goes directly up against the maiden home game for Fremantle’s new women’s team.
The Dockers’ clash against Brisbane at Fremantle Oval is forecast to draw a bigger crowd, with the AFL preparing for up to 10,000 spectators to take advantage of free entry.
While Kerr described the bumper support for the AFLW launch as a huge boost for women’s sport, she pointed out patrons attending the W-League grand final would be paying to watch a trophy decider.
She said the two football codes were not in competition.
“I say ‘do you want to go see a regular season game or do you want to see a piece of silverware being won?’ I know what I would choose,” Kerr said.

Glory women's team could create history
“If people are at our game on the weekend, we’re happy to have them because it means they love the sport, they want to be there and they’re paying money to be there. We really want women’s sport to be huge.
“I feel like everyone’s trying to make it a competition, whereas we’re not competing with AFL and I’m sure AFL isn’t competing with us.”
Kerr spends seven months of the year playing in the US National Women’s Soccer League for Sky Blue FC.
She has already competed at two World Cups and last year’s Rio Olympics. Her elite standing was confirmed yesterday as the only Glory player in the starting line-up of the Professional Footballers Australia’s W-League team of the season.
Having made the switch from Aussie Rules to soccer as a child, Kerr was approached about joining the AFLW this season and spoke to Fremantle coach Michelle Cowan.
Kerr said there were no incentives, either financial or competitive, to leave her chosen sport.
The pay package for marquee players for this year’s AFLW is $27,000.
“We’ve built football so well. We play on the world stage, I get to travel the world,” Kerr said.
“The money we make in football is a lot better. There were a few figures flying around that the AFL was the highest paid, but I’m pretty sure they don’t know our salaries.
“It was incorrect. Some girls playing overseas and in the W-League are getting three times what the (AFLW) marquee players are getting.”

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Massive drop in attendance and TV ratings at the AFLW after one week. Let's see if it recovers or continues to drop.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

tsf - 12 Feb 2017 12:32 PM
Massive drop in attendance and TV ratings at the AFLW after one week. Let's see if it recovers or continues to drop.

They'll finish round two with an average attendance of 7,500 across all four games.

Ratings will be down, but the four games will rate considerably more than five A-League games.
RobA
RobA
Amateur
Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)Amateur (658 reputation)

aufc_ole - 7 Feb 2017 3:19 PM

"We are decades off a sustainable competition" Standard throw away line with arbitrary time period attached.
"Lost forever" what does that even mean?
it is just as arbitrary as pro and rel being the answer. it is now taken as given by people on this forum that it will save the game but where is the proof.

this is just football traditionalists looking only at football and the way it is done overseas for the answers. it really does remind me of times gone by and that worries me more than anything.

tsf
tsf
Legend

pippinu - 12 Feb 2017 1:16 PM
tsf - 12 Feb 2017 12:32 PM

Ratings will be down, but the four games will rate considerably more than five A-League games in Victoria.

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

AFLW is not and never was a threat to the A league.

Firstly the A league is months into its season before the AFLW starts, if it cannot keep its momentum it has much bigger problems than the AFLW.

Second, it appeals to largely a different audience.

Third, its sponsorship is either from existing AFL sponsors, or niche sponsors, shouldn't impact the A league at all.

The AFLW has tapped into a market for sponsorship and marketing of young to youngish active women.  Success by the AFLW instead of detracting from sponsorship of comps like the W league adds to it.  Successful marketing campaigns around the AFLW make female sport marketing campaigns an easier sell across the board.  If the FFA is smart, they use the fact that the W league and AFLW seasons largely do not overlap to piggyback.  Start your campaign early summer with us, run over summer and roll into the AFLW season.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Rating peaked at 677,000 last night on 7, still pretty impressive IMO.
jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Incidentally, the w league final is on in 2 hrs, and there are 2 threads about the AFLW and 1 about the w league, and it's the w league one that had 0 replies.
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

jatz - 12 Feb 2017 5:24 PM
Incidentally, the w league final is on in 2 hrs, and there are 2 threads about the AFLW and 1 about the w league, and it's the w league one that had 0 replies.

How many women are on this forum though?
jatz
jatz
Hacker

Gayfish - 12 Feb 2017 5:27 PM
jatz - 12 Feb 2017 5:24 PM

How many women are on this forum though?

Nice on point reply, and a succinct answer to Sam Kerr who thought people should go to the w league grand final rather than the AFLW.  If FFT people cannot be bothered with the W league, why should anyone else.

Will there be more men at the AFLW than people at the grand final?
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

RobA - 12 Feb 2017 1:29 PM
aufc_ole - 7 Feb 2017 3:19 PM
it is just as arbitrary as pro and rel being the answer. it is now taken as given by people on this forum that it will save the game but where is the proof.

this is just football traditionalists looking only at football and the way it is done overseas for the answers. it really does remind me of times gone by and that worries me more than anything.

Have you even been paying attention to any thread with arguments for P/R
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

jatz - 12 Feb 2017 5:43 PM
Gayfish - 12 Feb 2017 5:27 PM

Nice on point reply, and a succinct answer to Sam Kerr who thought people should go to the w league grand final rather than the AFLW.  If FFT people cannot be bothered with the W league, why should anyone else.

Will there be more men at the AFLW than people at the grand final?

It's notable that the AFLW threads (the latest two) appear to be getting more posts and reads than the W-League grand final.
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro

Afl womens?

You mean: Victorian Womens' football?

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Condemned666 - 12 Feb 2017 7:52 PM
Afl womens?

You mean: Victorian Womens' football?

Yeh, maybe, although I note Fremantle is hosting Brisbane right now, in competition with the W-League grand final just up the road.  Pretty similar attendances, will be interesting to see the ratings tomorrow.  
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search