The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
October 7 will be touch and go depending on the vax rate, at the moment its 40% but it's set to ramp up with more Pfizer coming from the UK given the rest are due for their 2nd dose so it will be close, 80% will probably get reached at the end of October/start of November which means changes to international travel for the fully vaxxed so maybe they better off trying for November instead.

Even if we get close to that number I can see they maybe allocate a very small number of fans in the stadium like they have been doing in Europe where only 20 or 30% are allowed and only to a certain part of the stadium too in a safe way.

I said yesterday that maybe they could do this in November when the vax rate in NSW will be in excess of 80 and close to 90% double dose by then, so that month might be more reasonable but shows its a step the federal govt is starting to shift forward from this pandemic which is what we all want.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Barca4Life - 5 Sep 2021 1:03 PM
October 7 will be touch and go depending on the vax rate, at the moment its 40% but it's set to ramp up with more Pfizer coming from the UK given the rest are due for their 2nd dose so it will be close, 80% will probably get reached at the end of October/start of November which means changes to international travel for the fully vaxxed so maybe they better off trying for November instead.

Even if we get close to that number I can see they maybe allocate a very small number of fans in the stadium like they have been doing in Europe where only 20 or 30% are allowed and only to a certain part of the stadium too in a safe way.

I said yesterday that maybe they could do this in November when the vax rate in NSW will be in excess of 80 and close to 90% double dose by then, so that month might be more reasonable but shows its a step the federal govt is starting to shift forward from this pandemic which is what we all want.

Double dose vaccination is really at 30% because effective is 14 days from injection of the second jab
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Paul01 - 5 Sep 2021 1:21 PM
Barca4Life - 5 Sep 2021 1:03 PM

Double dose vaccination is really at 30% because effective is 14 days from injection of the second jab

And, from what  others are reading, AZ  second jab may only last for 6 months. 
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

One of the things I thought was a highlight against China, was  how Matt Leckie not  being  in the team, with his usual lack of penalty box predation and inability to anticipate his teammates'  attacking interplay, resulted in Mabil and Boyle alleviating pressure by scoring goals Matt ( and Robbie Kruse) generally wouldn't.

Recently as a central striker  Leckie has athletically outjumped defenders on two occasions to score headed goals. But in general in the attacking third, when we have the ball, he has  been relatively innocuous over the entirety of his career in terms of scoring goals expected of a player playing in the front three.

This has put excess pressure on his, and Robbie Kruse's,  teammates. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by Decentric 2
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
^ I actually agree with you there, Decentric, and I’ve always had a soft spot for Leckie.

I’m sure he still has a place in the squad, but I’m beginning to feel like we might be moving past him as a starting player.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

VACCINATED FANS BACK TO WATCH SOCCEROOS

Lockdown will be lifted for double-vaccinated fans next month when the Socceroos host a crucial World Cup qualifier at Bankwest Stadium.

The Matildas will also play Brazil at the venue in October, as Sydney’s long-suffering sports lovers prepare to return to outside venues for the first time since June.

Only fans and corporate guests with proof they are ­double-jabbed will be able to purchase tickets.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/coronavirus/vaccination-rates-mean-nsw-can-start-returning-to-normal-in-october/news-story/8b4297972d78e602043d28a5c7c9e9a1

Seems JJ has done a deal with the NSW government but there is no confirmation by the government as fas as I can see.

There is quite a bit more detail in the rest of that article.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Gyfox
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Bowden - 5 Sep 2021 4:00 PM
^ I actually agree with you there, Decentric, and I’ve always had a soft spot for Leckie.

I’m sure he still has a place in the squad, but I’m beginning to feel like we might be moving past him as a starting player.

Yeah he could be good as a defensive winger or even wing back but he lacks off the ball movement which is why we only ever scored off set pieces in the past
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Decentric 2 - 5 Sep 2021 2:04 PM
Paul01 - 5 Sep 2021 1:21 PM

And, from what  others are reading, AZ  second jab may only last for 6 months. 

The experience with the Pfizer vaccine in Israel is that effectiveness is down to 39% after 6+ months.  They have already given about 20% of their population a third dose of Pfizer.
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Gyfox - 5 Sep 2021 5:18 PM

VACCINATED FANS BACK TO WATCH SOCCEROOS

Lockdown will be lifted for double-vaccinated fans next month when the Socceroos host a crucial World Cup qualifier at Bankwest Stadium.

The Matildas will also play Brazil at the venue in October, as Sydney’s long-suffering sports lovers prepare to return to outside venues for the first time since June.

Only fans and corporate guests with proof they are ­double-jabbed will be able to purchase tickets.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/coronavirus/vaccination-rates-mean-nsw-can-start-returning-to-normal-in-october/news-story/8b4297972d78e602043d28a5c7c9e9a1

Seems JJ has done a deal with the NSW government but there is no confirmation by the government as fas as I can see.

There quite a bit of detail in the rest of that article.

Awesome news. Hard to believe. Hope rest
of Aus follows this step eventually too🤞
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Balin Trev - 5 Sep 2021 5:25 PM
Gyfox - 5 Sep 2021 5:18 PM

Awesome news. Hard to believe. Hope rest
of Aus follows this step eventually too🤞

Doesn't sound like it is locked in. It sounds like BankWest may be - but the crowds will depend on vaccination rates which at this stage look they will fall short of the rate needed. at least will mean a friendly time to watch them on TV.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Pasquali - 5 Sep 2021 5:19 PM
Bowden - 5 Sep 2021 4:00 PM

Yeah he could be good as a defensive winger or even wing back but he lacks off the ball movement which is why we only ever scored off set pieces in the past

I respectfully disagree with you there, in terms of off the ball movement.

ML's off the ball mouvement is a real strength  in terms of the angle of, and number of runs he makes. However, he  doesn't anticipate the build up play as well as most of his team-mates. He makes the wrong   moves in relation to his  teammates.

It is where we broke down in the last Russian World Cup - the front three of Leckie, Kruse and Juric, etc, not converting  the goals they should have from the amount of  possession and attacking interplay  in the attacking third.

Henceforth , he probably  wouldn't have  found the position that  Mabil did to score that first goal - taking the pressure of Australia. He would have also been unlikely to score the second goal that Boyle did, which alleviated scoreboard pressure even more.

He might be a not more athletic, faster and physically stronger unit than Taggart as a central striker, but he doesn't position himself as  well as Taggart.

Even at best if he, and Kruse, found those positions, we've seen them  convert a very low number of goals for players playing  so many international games in the front  three. 

I'm not sure how old Leckie is, but he would definitely  have a better skill set for a Right Back, or as previously mentioned, Wing Back. In terms of international football anyway. It will be interesting to see how effectively he converts goals in the A L.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

I just can't get over the Sydneycentric view of football in Austrlaia. 

C- 19 is raging out of control in Sydney.

Tasmania has had no community transmission of C-19 for 15 months. People have walked around devoid of masks and lockdowns for 15 months. Heaps of NSW residents have bought  residential properties and farms sight unseen in Tas. 

WA has also been very effective in negating C-19. South Aus have also done quite well.

Play the next WCQ in Perth. 

Play the  following WCQ in South Aus, or if not,  Tassie.
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 5 Sep 2021 10:56 PM

Tasmania has had no community transmission of C-19 for 15 months. People have walked around devoid of masks and lockdowns for 15 months. Heaps of NSW residents have bought  residential properties and farms sight unseen in Tas. 

WA has also been very effective in negating C-19. South Aus have also done quite well.

The governments won't allow it!! How much more obvious does it have to be!
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

sportaddict - 5 Sep 2021 11:11 PM

The governments won't allow it!! How much more obvious does it have to be!

State governments have allowed AFL to be played in WA, SA and Tas, in the last few months.

Why not Socceroos?
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

I don't see it as Sydney-centric.

First of all there is no guarantee of crowds as even NSW will not be at 70%. So what are you looking for is the best time for TV audiences. That means you are limited to QLD, NSW and Vic. Tasmania does not have an appropriate stadium. Adelaide could be considered but WA would mean a kickoff at 10pm in the eastern states.

If the FA could get a guarantee of crowds being allowed in Perth or Adelaide I suspect they would jump on that.  However, given the uncertainty I think they are going for the best TV time for the most people and if they get crowds that is a bonus. 

Edited
3 Years Ago by patjennings
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

The problem is the state govt in those states won't entertain the idea due to their low vaccine rates, so the idea they would let the players come in a bubble to train and play would never work.
They won't even allow a fully vaccinated person in a Australia go to another state, so why would they allow someone from overseas to come in given they take very little returned travellers to hotel quarantine?
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Decentric 2 - 5 Sep 2021 11:18 PM

State governments have allowed AFL to be played in WA, SA and Tas, in the last few months.

Why not Socceroos?

Assuming the AFL makes money to their state govt coffers more than a Socceroos game? That won't surprise me.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Barca4Life - 6 Sep 2021 4:53 PM

Assuming the AFL makes money to their state govt coffers more than a Socceroos game? That won't surprise me.

Having better connected lobbyists and blanket media exposure to voters certainly doesn't hurt.
Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

Why not Socceroos?

Because to play a Socceroos game means scores of people coming from overseas. AFL does not have that.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Squad due any day now
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

johnszasz - 29 Sep 2021 5:35 AM
Squad due any day now

I think we'll know we're Jurics future lays with this squad
Josh
Josh
Pro

johnszasz - 29 Sep 2021 5:35 AM
Squad due any day now

Don’t think arnie will change too much with this squad. I think karacic comes in for strain, I think stensness will be picked over a McGowan or a Wright,  I’m praying to god juric gets picked over anyone. Other than that it will be more of the same I think
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Screenshot_20210929-175912_Chrome

:cool:

BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 29 Sep 2021 6:45 PM
Screenshot_20210929-175912_Chrome

:cool:

Very specific KO time for the Japan game.
Avoxtionly
Avoxtionly
Super Fan
Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)

Squad announced tomorrow at 5:30pm.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

So if no Juric tomorrow we put a line through his name?
Avoxtionly
Avoxtionly
Super Fan
Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)Super Fan (140 reputation)

Dan_The_Red - 30 Sep 2021 8:04 PM
So if no Juric tomorrow we put a line through his name?

he isn't in the zagreb squad for europa tomorrow because of a wrist injury. meaning he probably won't be in any national team squad this month. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Don’t think targett should be picked but not sure who else we would have as striker 
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 30 Sep 2021 10:06 PM
Don’t think targett should be picked but not sure who else we would have as striker 

Mitch Duke 
Avoxtionly
Avoxtionly
Super Fan

Squad announcement has been moved to tomorrow. 5:30pm
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search