The Future of Australian Football

The Future of Australian Football

Author
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Aus Football Fan - 11 Apr 2017 5:17 PM
How much free time do u have to do that
Good job, send it in to the ffa

Greg gets 40 hours a week and has come up with an app. 

More people have done more with less. Aussiehorter have you received any responses?

Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Greg?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I have been watching more Bundes2 of late. It is imo how an eventual 2nd divison should look. All the advertising and sponsors are the same as Bund1. The graphics are the same, even as to show the Bundesliga plate. The badges on the sleevs are the same. It doesnt feel divided like eg England or Sweden between the divisions it feels like one big whole.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Aus Football Fan - 11 Apr 2017 6:38 PM
Greg?

O'Rourke. Head of the A-League. Who went on to the Daily Show to announce that big big things were coming. 

An app. 

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 11 Apr 2017 9:09 PM
Aus Football Fan - 11 Apr 2017 6:38 PM

O'Rourke. Head of the A-League. Who went on to the Daily Show to announce that big big things were coming. 

An app. 

:laugh:

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 11 Apr 2017 6:18 PM
Aus Football Fan - 11 Apr 2017 5:17 PM

Aussiehorter have you received any responses?

I've had a few people get in contact, including going on the Daily Football Show last week, but I'm still trying to get the right people to read it.  It'll take time.

Having said that, I'm starting to see some of the discussions forming into something not too dissimilar to my model.  The PFA have suggested a professional division made up of new expansion teams and NPL clubs, which is basically the A2 League in my model.  And the AAFC is talking about a second division made up of NPL clubs, which I can see as the A3 League.

Instead of those groups fighting over what the second division should look like, hopefully they can see the benefit in having both.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

aussieshorter - 11 Apr 2017 9:39 PM
TheSelectFew - 11 Apr 2017 6:18 PM

I've had a few people get in contact, including going on the Daily Football Show last week, but I'm still trying to get the right people to read it.  It'll take time.

Having said that, I'm starting to see some of the discussions forming into something not too dissimilar to my model.  The PFA have suggested a professional division made up of new expansion teams and NPL clubs, which is basically the A2 League in my model.  And the AAFC is talking about a second division made up of NPL clubs, which I can see as the A3 League.

Instead of those groups fighting over what the second division should look like, hopefully they can see the benefit in having both.

Have you showed the model to the pfa?

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 11 Apr 2017 10:15 PM
aussieshorter - 11 Apr 2017 9:39 PM

Have you showed the model to the pfa?

Working on it :). Whether they give it the time of day is another question.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

aussieshorter - 13 Apr 2017 10:46 AM
TheSelectFew - 11 Apr 2017 10:15 PM

Working on it :). Whether they give it the time of day is another question.

Make them want it. Maybe hold off and get it as much plaudits as possible before submission. 

Rimbaud
Rimbaud
Amateur
Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)

scott21 - 5 Apr 2017 4:13 PM
I would defend Singapores inclusion (if WP are staying in the league). But it seems more likely we will decrease foreign teams to 0 in the short term instead of expanding the number.

"I would defend Singapores inclusion"

How/why/when/what/where TF. Lol. Id hazard you're in a minority.

If WP stay? So if they stay, then singapore are in! And then Malaysia too. Philipenes even. Do Maldives play football? 

Reckon we need to get our own house in order before we become the UN league tbh. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Rimbaud - 14 Apr 2017 12:09 AM
scott21 - 5 Apr 2017 4:13 PM

"I would defend Singapores inclusion"

How/why/when/what/where TF. Lol. Id hazard you're in a minority.

If WP stay? So if they stay, then singapore are in! And then Malaysia too. Philipenes even. Do Maldives play football? 

Reckon we need to get our own house in order before we become the UN league tbh. 

And call it the club world cup oh wait. 

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I've been doing further research and I've reached a conclusion. The conclusion is that it's not FFA or the A league clubs that are the problem, but rather the old NSL clubs. The more I look at it, the clearer it is that these clubs have held the game back for years and continue to fail to promote the game over and above their own agenda. The old NSL failed for a number of reasons (chiefly racist mainstream media denying any positive media coverage and burying the sport, strong competition from other codes for sponsorship dollars and t.v revenue, poor administration from Soccer Australia), however one of the other main reasons was the poor attitude of the clubs themselves. The majority NSL clubs were "Social" clubs that largely grew out of ethnic minority communities, where football was the preferred sport of that communities background. For many years, these clubs retained their 'closed shop' mentality and that hindered the growth of the game in the rest of the larger community. Yes, this changed to a large degree during the transition from NSL to A League and yes, the majority of NPL clubs now identify as broad based "Football" clubs, whilst still acknowledging and respecting their historical ties. Many of those clubs however are the problem. They have not grown and made themselves financially secure with good facilities and good membership bases. Let me be clear, it's nothing to do with their ethnicity or their background, it's to do with the fact that in many respects some of them still operate as social clubs, albeit for the wider community of all ethnic backgrounds, and are not driven to have football as their main business and their main objective is not success on the football field. Now I'm not across all of the clubs around Australia, but here in Victoria, I can only see South Melbourne as a viable club that seems to prioritise football above the other aspects of the club and seems to want to have football as it's primary raison d'être and is stating it's main goal is to get into the A league and win it. They seem to have the sponsorship and the right facilities to be able to build a competitive team and be well supported in the stands. Where are the other NPL teams? If they were serious about joining in the A league and becoming fully professional, it would be easy for some of the clubs to merge and form 'super clubs' that could easily field a team and draw both sponsorship and reasonable crowd numbers. e.g. Melbourne Knights, St Albans, Green Gully could all merge to form a Northern team, Oakleigh, Kingston and Bentleigh could do the same to form a Southern team. That's just a few examples of what could happen. The NPL clubs need to realise they need to grow and make it happen.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

MarkfromCroydon - 14 Apr 2017 2:51 PM
I've been doing further research and I've reached a conclusion. The conclusion is that it's not FFA or the A league clubs that are the problem, but rather the old NSL clubs. The more I look at it, the clearer it is that these clubs have held the game back for years and continue to fail to promote the game over and above their own agenda. The old NSL failed for a number of reasons (chiefly racist mainstream media denying any positive media coverage and burying the sport, strong competition from other codes for sponsorship dollars and t.v revenue, poor administration from Soccer Australia), however one of the other main reasons was the poor attitude of the clubs themselves. The majority NSL clubs were "Social" clubs that largely grew out of ethnic minority communities, where football was the preferred sport of that communities background. For many years, these clubs retained their 'closed shop' mentality and that hindered the growth of the game in the rest of the larger community. Yes, this changed to a large degree during the transition from NSL to A League and yes, the majority of NPL clubs now identify as broad based "Football" clubs, whilst still acknowledging and respecting their historical ties. Many of those clubs however are the problem. They have not grown and made themselves financially secure with good facilities and good membership bases. Let me be clear, it's nothing to do with their ethnicity or their background, it's to do with the fact that in many respects some of them still operate as social clubs, albeit for the wider community of all ethnic backgrounds, and are not driven to have football as their main business and their main objective is not success on the football field. Now I'm not across all of the clubs around Australia, but here in Victoria, I can only see South Melbourne as a viable club that seems to prioritise football above the other aspects of the club and seems to want to have football as it's primary raison d'être and is stating it's main goal is to get into the A league and win it. They seem to have the sponsorship and the right facilities to be able to build a competitive team and be well supported in the stands. Where are the other NPL teams? If they were serious about joining in the A league and becoming fully professional, it would be easy for some of the clubs to merge and form 'super clubs' that could easily field a team and draw both sponsorship and reasonable crowd numbers. e.g. Melbourne Knights, St Albans, Green Gully could all merge to form a Northern team, Oakleigh, Kingston and Bentleigh could do the same to form a Southern team. That's just a few examples of what could happen. The NPL clubs need to realise they need to grow and make it happen.

Embarrassing. Worst troll by a mile. 

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 14 Apr 2017 2:54 PM

He wants clubs with 50 years or so of history to merge. Delusional. 
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 14 Apr 2017 2:54 PM

Why don't you actually say something constructive instead of just making snide remarks about others. It seems you have no original thoughts, and can't actually communicate without trying to insult someone. Get a life. I post things that I've thought about and put some effort into. I guess you're just here to try and get a rise from other people. Well, you mate, are the very definition of a troll.
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Dave Davutovic has written an article in support of a second division and has some good points about increasing the number of players and coaches.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/studs-up-national-second-division-needed-to-boost-player-depth-says-david-davutovic/news-story/96cfce5a76dbc11db979dab9efbb14d3

But another thing that is largely overlooked is that it has the potential to improve the quality of our referees.

At the moment a professional referee hones his skills in the State-based NPL, which we all acknowledge is well below the A-League in terms of quality, pace, facilities and public scrutiny.  And then when they are asked to step up to the A-League, we expect them to be perfect.  How many players have jumped from the NPL level into the A-League and performed at a consistent high level immediately?

A second division creates another level to test referees before asking them to take on our most public games.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

https://twitter.com/ManlyUnited/status/854215667968598016

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

hehehe cheeki mention ;)

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

TheSelectFew - 19 Apr 2017 10:32 PM

hehehe cheeki mention ;)

:)

Shows that there are more clubs out there waiting for the FFA to give them a chance.  I keep saying it, but until we create the opportunity and ask the question, we'll never know.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

aussieshorter - 20 Apr 2017 8:29 AM
TheSelectFew - 19 Apr 2017 10:32 PM

:)

Shows that there are more clubs out there waiting for the FFA to give them a chance.  I keep saying it, but until we create the opportunity and ask the question, we'll never know.

Its the buzzword but it needs to be more than that. Needs action. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search