Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer team

Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer...

Author
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 20 Feb 2018 11:25 AM
Gyfox - 20 Feb 2018 11:04 AM

Walking from central to the SFS involves climbing up Fevoux St. 

Did it regularly in my youth.  Was quicker than waiting for the buses going out to the SCG.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“Some of these objections are laughable” , I’m not sure how if you’ve ever been there on game day.

The walk to the train station is not far but it’s a small branch line with two trains an hour capable of moving maybe 600 people each. The platform isn’t built for large crowds either.

The walk to the “bus station” is almost 2km only it’s not a bus station but is the bus stop at the RWB Hospital, it is also not built to deal with large crowds. Each bus can carry 75 people and there’ll be no more than ten an hour if that.

So public transport can move less than 2,000 people in the first hour after the game, maybe the first hour and a half as you’ve got a 20 minute walk to get there.

So that’s it’s major problem. Transport.

The solution is the past was to put busses to the ground as they do at QEII. Unlike QEII Ballymore is not surrounded by dual carriageways it’s sandwidched in to suburban side streets and the busses found it slow going.

After the last game with a crowd just under 9,000 I waited an hour to board the special busses coming in to Ballymore with parents around me swearing “never again”. And they meant it.

So laugh away but Ballymore has severe transport limitations because it’s in the wrong place.

Unlike Perry Park which is next to a main railway line with a perfectly serviceable station with frequent service equivalent to Suncorp, is serviced by numerous bus lanes, is in walking distance to the City Cat Ferry and is right next to the inner city bypass along with numerous other roads several of them dual carriageways.

Only Perry Park is not the QRUs problem to fix. Nor an LNP pet project.

If they go there I hope it works. But history and location are against them.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Gyfox - 20 Feb 2018 11:48 AM

Did it regularly in my youth.  Was quicker than waiting for the buses going out to the SCG.

While that's true, it does seem to be more effort than the walk from the station near Ballymore, which was my point.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Waz - 20 Feb 2018 12:05 PM
“Some of these objections are laughable” , I’m not sure how if you’ve ever been there on game day. The walk to the train station is not far but it’s a small branch line with two trains an hour capable of moving maybe 600 people each. The platform isn’t built for large crowds either. The walk to the “bus station” is almost 2km only it’s not a bus station but is the bus stop at the RWB Hospital, it is also not built to deal with large crowds. Each bus can carry 75 people and there’ll be no more than ten an hour if that. So public transport can move less than 2,000 people in the first hour after the game, maybe the first hour and a half as you’ve got a 20 minute walk to get there. So that’s it’s major problem. Transport. The solution is the past was to put busses to the ground as they do at QEII. Unlike QEII Ballymore is not surrounded by dual carriageways it’s sandwidched in to suburban side streets and the busses found it slow going. After the last game with a crowd just under 9,000 I waited an hour to board the special busses coming in to Ballymore with parents around me swearing “never again”. And they meant it. So laugh away but Ballymore has severe transport limitations because it’s in the wrong place. Unlike Perry Park which is next to a main railway line with a perfectly serviceable station with frequent service equivalent to Suncorp, is serviced by numerous bus lanes, is in walking distance to the City Cat Ferry and is right next to the inner city bypass along with numerous other roads several of them dual carriageways. Only Perry Park is not the QRUs problem to fix. Nor an LNP pet project. If they go there I hope it works. But history and location are against them.

Good points.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Gyfox - 20 Feb 2018 11:48 AM

I still do it every game. Good little workout ;)

If you're not relatively young/fit it'd be a bit too much I think. Its not a leisurely stroll. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Waz - 20 Feb 2018 12:05 PM
“Some of these objections are laughable” , I’m not sure how if you’ve ever been there on game day. The walk to the train station is not far but it’s a small branch line with two trains an hour capable of moving maybe 600 people each. The platform isn’t built for large crowds either. The walk to the “bus station” is almost 2km only it’s not a bus station but is the bus stop at the RWB Hospital, it is also not built to deal with large crowds. Each bus can carry 75 people and there’ll be no more than ten an hour if that. So public transport can move less than 2,000 people in the first hour after the game, maybe the first hour and a half as you’ve got a 20 minute walk to get there. So that’s it’s major problem. Transport. The solution is the past was to put busses to the ground as they do at QEII. Unlike QEII Ballymore is not surrounded by dual carriageways it’s sandwidched in to suburban side streets and the busses found it slow going. After the last game with a crowd just under 9,000 I waited an hour to board the special busses coming in to Ballymore with parents around me swearing “never again”. And they meant it. So laugh away but Ballymore has severe transport limitations because it’s in the wrong place. Unlike Perry Park which is next to a main railway line with a perfectly serviceable station with frequent service equivalent to Suncorp, is serviced by numerous bus lanes, is in walking distance to the City Cat Ferry and is right next to the inner city bypass along with numerous other roads several of them dual carriageways. Only Perry Park is not the QRUs problem to fix. Nor an LNP pet project. If they go there I hope it works. But history and location are against them.

Yeah well actually I have been there a few times.  In particular when Brisbane's WLeague side played in the Grand Final there.  Up until this weekend just gone that was the highest attended W-League match.  Somewhere about 5000 I believe.  From memory I don't remember having to hire a sherpa and bring a packed lunch. 

Is it ideal?  Probably not but it is (or could be) a nice little boutique stadium. 

Have a look at Sydney NRL teams when they play at Leichardt, Brookvale, Jubilee etc.  Public transport is shit there and yet every time they schedule matches there they're packed and there's a cacophony of voices to bring the matches back to suburban grounds. 

But whatever.  Nothing will change your mind.  

And by the by the surface there is second only to Redlands football club.  An absolute carpet.

As for playing out of Perry Park, what makes you think the Strikers are going to be happy about that if they're not the second team in?

Member since 2008.

fuzz13
fuzz13
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

How much has the proposed upgrade been costed at?

I ask this mainly because the whole line of "it will help with the bids for more games with the Rugby Union World Cup and the 2023 Wonens World Cup" would mean the upgrade would be far more significant than a simple paint and polish upgrade.

To me it would be a whole life asset renewal, which would involve major capital infrastructure...I think once you pick through the nuts and bolts of the current state of the facility, it would mean a complete overhaul of the site. This would exceed the $100M I think has been proposed for the upgrade...Parramatta Stadium is costing the NSW government $360M plus the additional cost for relocating the council's pool (costed around $30m) but this is for a 30,000 seat stadium.

Upgrading Soccer facilities (i.e. Perry Park, which to me is in the absolute ideal location for future sporting infrastructure) is not a vote winner for the incumbent government, so they are unlikely to touch this...even Ballymore is not necessarily going to win them extra votes, but it will appease the QRU who cannot afford their venue anymore as the QRU and ARU is seriously cash-strapped...

To me, the Queensland goverment should upgrade facilities near existing infrastructure, or purchase rclaimed land near existing infrastructure and build a multi-purpouse boutique facility there. Suncorp is quickly nearing capacity and cannot handle any more events, is too big for some codes, and very costly to the user groups. With the constant talk of a 2nd Brisbane NRL team, a potential 2nd Brisbane HAL team, and Queensland Rugby pining for a smaller venue, it would be wise to invest now rather than leave it until it's too late.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

paladisious - 20 Feb 2018 9:14 AM
aussie pride - 20 Feb 2018 9:02 AM

I've tried to get clarification on this before. I take it that foot bridge is a recent addition? Surely 1.3km isn't too much of a walk, certainly nothing compared to Sydney Central to SFS.

1.3km is still a hike for the average pedestrian. Pedestrians will usually walk 400m to and from a transport node or 800m to a major one like an interchange or station.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Muz

I merely responded to the comments that the issues were laughable when they’re not. Two trains an hour and ten busses an hour is what causes the problems.

Roar set a new record for W League attendance with the 4,225 at the last Suncorp game and 3,800 ish at Perry Park so that gives you some idea of that Ballymore attendance.

If football is to be given $100m for a stadium I’d rather it built a football stadium and not refurbished another codes stadium as well.

The only infrastructure we have is Perry Park so upgrade that and move City and Roar there. Strikers don’t own it, they are a tenant.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

bohemia - 20 Feb 2018 2:43 PM

1.3km is still a hike for the average pedestrian. Pedestrians will usually walk 400m to and from a transport node or 800m to a major one like an interchange or station.

Sauntering at a gentle jaunty 5kms an hour it will take you about 15mins.  (20 minutes if you go a more leisurely 4km/hr) 

Are you seriously suggesting that the average adult and child are incapable of a 15 minute walk?

It would take the average punter longer to park at their local Westfield and walk to K-Mart on any given weekend.

Bloody hell.  When someone wants an example of what is meant the term 'millenial snowflake' I'll direct them to this thread.  

Member since 2008.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

FIFA's stadium manual says this:-

"it is essential to ensure that car park access and egress is rapid and smooth flowing and that direct routes to the nearest motorways are provided. the location of the car parks and bus parks should make it possible for the supporters of both teams to have separate parking facilities. Where sufficient on-site public parking is not possible, parking should be provided no further than 1,500 metres from the stadium."

Walking 1,500m is the maximum they recommend.  A previous edition that I don't have now gave an ideal as 500m with 1,500m being the maximum.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Waz - 20 Feb 2018 2:58 PM
@ Muz I merely responded to the comments that the issues were laughable when they’re not. Two trains an hour and ten busses an hour is what causes the problems. Roar set a new record for W League attendance with the 4,225 at the last Suncorp game and 3,800 ish at Perry Park so that gives you some idea of that Ballymore attendance. If football is to be given $100m for a stadium I’d rather it built a football stadium and not refurbished another codes stadium as well. The only infrastructure we have is Perry Park so upgrade that and move City and Roar there. Strikers don’t own it, they are a tenant.

Surely some astute scheduling on match days by the Dept of Transport would solve most of those problems.

2 trains and 10 buses is clearly ridiculous.  When you leave the SFS or the SCG the buses are lined up to billyO.

Look I hear you but if it's a choice between Roar and Ballymore, move to Ballymore.

A crowd of even 8000 there would make a huge racket.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Gyfox - 20 Feb 2018 3:03 PM

FIFA's stadium manual says this:-

"it is essential to ensure that car park access and egress is rapid and smooth flowing and that direct routes to the nearest motorways are provided. the location of the car parks and bus parks should make it possible for the supporters of both teams to have separate parking facilities. Where sufficient on-site public parking is not possible, parking should be provided no further than 1,500 metres from the stadium."

Walking 1,500m is the maximum they recommend.  A previous edition that I don't have now gave an ideal as 500m with 1,500m being the maximum.

Well no wonder the world is fucked if that's how little credit they give us all.

What some kid in a third world country walking 5kms to get water every day must think I do not know.

Member since 2008.

Edited
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:06 PM
Waz - 20 Feb 2018 2:58 PM

Surely some astute scheduling on match days by the Dept of Transport would solve most of those problems.

Google Queensland Rail Fail

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:09 PM

Well no wonder the world is fucked if that's how little credit they give us all.

What some kid in a third world country walking 5kms to get water must think I do not know.

it's the world game not the third world game
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

What some kid in a third world country walking 5kms to get water every day must think I do not know.

Being charged 5 months wages to watch the Roar would be more confusing

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I'm not a Queenslander so excuse my ignorance, but is does it appear that for such a large city - dominated by rectangular stadium sports - that there is so little rectangular stadium infrastructure. why aren't there more 15,000-20,000 sized stadiums? 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:02 PM

Sauntering at a gentle jaunty 5kms an hour it will take you about 15mins.  (20 minutes if you go a more leisurely 4km/hr) 

Are you seriously suggesting that the average adult and child are incapable of a 15 minute walk?

It would take the average punter longer to park at their local Westfield and walk to K-Mart on any given weekend.

Bloody hell.  When someone wants an example of what is meant the term 'millenial snowflake' I'll direct them to this thread.  

There's a lot of factors that go in to the 400/800 rule and it applies to vehicle oriented western economies like the US and Australia. 800m is the most to be considered convenient and people will take the most convenient route. 15 minutes may not sound a lot, but that's 15 minutes you're adding on to a trip compared to driving which starts at the front door.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Feed_The_Brox - 20 Feb 2018 3:17 PM
I'm not a Queenslander so excuse my ignorance, but is does it appear that for such a large city - dominated by rectangular stadium sports - that there is so little rectangular stadium infrastructure. why aren't there more 15,000-20,000 sized stadiums? 

Cos there's only 3 teams

Same situation as AAMI 

Muz
Muz
Legend

bohemia - 20 Feb 2018 3:20 PM
Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:02 PM

There's a lot of factors that go in to the 400/800 rule and it applies to vehicle oriented western economies like the US and Australia. 800m is the most to be considered convenient and people will take the most convenient route. 15 minutes may not sound a lot, but that's 15 minutes you're adding on to a trip compared to driving which starts at the front door.

Evidently the future is not as far away as we think.

Half the word is starving the other half is dying because they're the size of a house.

Member since 2008.

Edited
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:26 PM
bohemia - 20 Feb 2018 3:20 PM

Evidently the future is not as far away as we think.

Half the word is starving the other half is dying because they're the size of a house.

Quick, redevelop Ballymore

Muz
Muz
Legend

Buggalugs 2.0 - 20 Feb 2018 3:29 PM
Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:26 PM

Quick, redevelop Ballymore

Yes and put in a Ninja Warrior course on the way to the ground.

Member since 2008.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 20 Feb 2018 3:39 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 20 Feb 2018 3:29 PM

Yes and put in a Ninja Warrior course on the way to the ground.

The more thirsty everyone is by the time they get to the ground the better

Image result for good thinking meme animated gif

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search